Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After playing SWTOR... why would anyone play wow?

Comments

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Originally posted by Malckiah

I am not trying to cut wow... I played wow for 4 years and enjoyed it. Wow obviously had alot of good things going for it or else why would so many people play it. But after playing SWTOR I can honestly say that in every way it is better than wow. But the reaon for this thread is not just to talk about how TOR is better, but to bring up a point:

SWTOR at its core of gameplay is very similar to wow... Everyone seems to agree that there is little to no trouble transitioning as all the controls are the same etc, etc. But TOR also has Full Voice over and an amazing storyline for each class. Not to mention that TOR's graphics are so much cleaner it's ridiculous! There is no question that if you say this game is jus like wow, you at least have to say it is just like wow, but new and improved in every way.

So, why would someone continue to play wow? TOR is obviously better. There isn't anything wow is offering that TOR isn't....well except elves and bad graphics. Well and lots of quest text to read. and panda's ....lol!

i didn't find it better then warcraft, i finally decided to cancel my CE pre-order at amazon (so a CE opened up for someone that wanted one lol).  just wasn't enough there for me to bother putting much time into it.  maybe down the road i'll check it out again.

not a bad game at all just doesn't really grab my attention enough. 

besides people have fun playing different things.  i still enjoy Warcraft i see no reason to stop playing it, having fun is all that matters to me i don't understand these fanboi politics.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• KhaotikKhaotik Member Posts: 1

Ive just recently tried playing WoW again for the third time and whats free roaming about it besides farming crafting mats?  Most of the time its just sit around and wait for que pops, either dungeons or pvp.  So roaming around Org...or any of the other capitol cities is roaming...thats boring as hell.  Oooohhh you can fly on a dragon mount really really high...but whats the point theres nothing to do up there..."but but it allows the player to do whatever they want"...fly that dragon into space then post about larger areas and free roaming.

Of course WoW has more content, its been on the market since 2005.  SWTOR hasnt even released yet but just from what I've seen it has more content than WoW did at its release. 

Have you even played WoW the textures suck.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by returnintor

I am not trying to cut wow... I played wow for 4 years and enjoyed it. Wow obviously had alot of good things going for it or else why would so many people play it. But after playing SWTOR I can honestly say that in every way it is better than wow. But the reaon for this thread is not just to talk about how TOR is better, but to bring up a point:

SWTOR at its core of gameplay is very similar to wow... Everyone seems to agree that there is little to no trouble transitioning as all the controls are the same etc, etc. But TOR also has Full Voice over and an amazing storyline for each class. Not to mention that TOR's graphics are so much cleaner it's ridiculous! There is no question that if you say this game is jus like wow, you at least have to say it is just like wow, but new and improved in every way.

So, why would someone continue to play wow? TOR is obviously better. There isn't anything wow is offering that TOR isn't....well except elves and bad graphics. Well and lots of quest text to read. and panda's ....lol!

Personall, I think that SWTOR's problem is going to be not that it is like WoW but it is not like WoW enough.

WoW doesn't have one story that your character has to follow.

WoW has multiple zones that you can explore at any time.

WoW's PVP options are complex and rich.

WoW doesn't block your progress every five minutes with mind-numbling cliche'd dialogue.

WoW has genuine and diverse end game options.

WoW's social options are real and fun...

... etc etc.

Oh, and many people, I speculate, are going to find cutesie jawas with rocket launchers just as sickly sweet as panda monks.

No, WoW has nothing to fear from SWTOR.

This is basically how I feel.   I am not currently playing WoW, nor did I invest years playing it, but I did subscribe and enjoy the time I played.   

The linearness of TOR, and what appears to be the sacrifice of normal current MMO elements, in TOR, is a turn off.    

It is 2012, so I expected a game to take all the good things in WoW, and make it Better, not just copy some of the elements, but ignore other elements (customizable UI, multiple story paths, multiple racial body types, etc).

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Khaotik

Ive just recently tried playing WoW again for the third time and whats free roaming about it besides farming crafting mats?  Most of the time its just sit around and wait for que pops, either dungeons or pvp.  So roaming around Org...or any of the other capitol cities is roaming...thats boring as hell.  Oooohhh you can fly on a dragon mount really really high...but whats the point theres nothing to do up there..."but but it allows the player to do whatever they want"...fly that dragon into space then post about larger areas and free roaming.

Of course WoW has more content, its been on the market since 2005.  SWTOR hasnt even released yet but just from what I've seen it has more content than WoW did at its release. 

Have you even played WoW the textures suck.

2004*

There used to be more of a purpose for free roaming in vanilla WoW before instanced battlegrounds because of large scale world pvp that has long been forgotten.

Also the fact that TOR has more content than WoW did at launch is great, but nothing new. Plenty of MMO's that have released in this past couple of years have launched with more content than WoW did at launch. The reasons for this are simple, expectations and standards have changed, we always compare new MMO's entering the market to Warcraft, because it set the standard. What do you think people compared WoW to when it launched? Everquest. So WoW managed to take the best of games like Everquest and improve on them, just like TOR is taking aspects of popular MMO's today like WoW. You can't really compare an MMO that launched in 2004 when the market was empty to a launch in 2011/12 where the market now has such high expectations.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Easy answer: A clone of world of warcraft like swtor is, is never as good as the orignal, thats one reason I can think of off the top of my head

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i disagree that any of those games u listed is better then wow. I have played aoc, lotro and they suck compared to wow. wow is better then both of them 

Thats my opinion and yes i play wow 6 yrs now. 

Im gonna play tor for many reasons but bioware story is one of them. I cant wait to play all 8 class stories from start to finish

I actually loved my time in tor and thinki the story , companion and choices make it a superior game to wow. That said ill still play wow and enjoy my time in it.

That said there is a reason aoc, lotro, and stuff went free 2 play and its not because they are better trhen wow. 

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Originally posted by Khaotik

Ive just recently tried playing WoW again for the third time and whats free roaming about it besides farming crafting mats?  Most of the time its just sit around and wait for que pops, either dungeons or pvp.  

[...]

2004*

There used to be more of a purpose for free roaming in vanilla WoW before instanced battlegrounds because of large scale world pvp that has long been forgotten.

[...]

I think for new players, there's still a lot of free roaming.  Hard to believe WoW even has new players, right?  but I never played it until Cataclysm, and leveling up, I was pretty impressed by how much wide open world there was.  More than any other MMO I know of, which is ironic, considering people talk about how shallow and linear it is.  Even devs that try to make a "WoW clone" never copy that aspect of it.. and I'm not even talking about any of the expansion content.

For players that enjoy that sort of thing, it's there, but I think after you've been playing it for years, you tend to stop noticing it.  Especially if you're the sort that doesn't really appreciate it, anyhow.  

I can't help but wonder if that has something to do with how it made such a good impression on people, way back in 2004, though, even if players don't think much of it anymore.  Really gives it an epic world feel that most other MMOs lack.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I was playing wow a little a few days ago of course for free first 20 lvls and the difference is amazing, with wow you get the wall of text, uninteresting story , unexciting combat although not terrible, silly crafting, .  it is like night and day Star wars is so much better it is not funny, i dont think anyone who has played Star can possibly go back to wow without feeling dissapointed

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

- WoW has more pvp in place

- WoW is heaven for raiders, and there is tons of pve content; TOR will never catch up, but the gap will get smaller over time

- WoW's animations are a lot more fluid

- WoW's world feels a lot more alive, and free-form (i cant believe im saying this, but it's true)

i havent been able to eddie. i have played wow like twice since i got into tor beta . But i have been down on wow a bit before tor. 

so not sure if im not into it because my freinds are no longer on or if its just because tor made it seem bland

That said i do still enjoy wow just not as much as tor. 

The story, companions, and choices u make as well as the kill x kill y being pop up bonus quests make questing seem so much more fun. Less grindy

is questing less grindy probably nto but it feels less grindy.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by eddieg50

I was playing wow a little a few days ago of course for free first 20 lvls and the difference is amazing, with wow you get the wall of text, uninteresting story , unexciting combat although not terrible, silly crafting, .  it is like night and day Star wars is so much better it is not funny, i dont think anyone who has played Star can possibly go back to wow without feeling dissapointed

Unless you're fussy and like games that have night and day.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Smitty88

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Because WoW is much better? ToR has slightly better graphics, thats it
    star wars is a better more widely know IP than warcraft, most people don't know anything about warcraft but everyone knows what star wars is.

Can you be any more ignorant?

Hundreds of millions of people are at least familiar with the name 'Star Wars', even if they don't remember the movies. Tens of millions of people are familiar with Warcraft and World of Warcraft.

Many, many more people might try SWToR because it's part of the Star Wars franchise that would try World of Warcraft because it's part of the Warcraft franchise.

It's a perfectly valid statement.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by RizelStar

Originally posted by mithoss

Everybody will play swtor and here's why:

in WoW:

"The enemy has item x,y,z and we need it! go get it" (text)

in Swtor:

"The enemy has item x,y,z and we need it! go get it" (voice)

in WoW:

Tab, 1, 2, 1, 4, 1, 3

in Swtor:

Tab, 1, 2, 1, 4, 1, 4

See? those significant differences clearly make Swotor the much superior game.

Ha ha ha. That was a good a good one and I'm not being sarcastic.

Actually its more like 1,1,1,2,1,1,1,3,1,1,1,4 in swtor least as the jedi knight/sith whatever their melee guy is. Due to no auto attacks, same for bh/trooper.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

I should create an alternate topic that goes more like; "After Playing DCUO and GW2 why would anyone play SWTOR?" just to be cheeky.

This is not a game.

• Narcin1Narcin1 Member Posts: 145

WoW is awesome. 'Nuff said. Two different games, each has features the other does not. Bad thread, OP.

Argh

Originally posted by returnintor

Or

1. TOR has way more and larger zones to explore than wow.... at any time.

Ho ho. No it doesn't not by a long, long shot. SWTOR is tiny.

2. TOR has an individual story for each class that you get to decide how it goes through your choices.... in wow there basically is no story unless you want to READ about killing rats to save the planet...lol.

Exactly. ONE story you HAVE to do. And millions of other people have exactly tghe same one. And there are plenty of excellent stories in WoW. It helps of course if you can read but many of the later stories are now animated and voiced.

3. In TOR you can click past the dialogue if you wish, but why would you....it's amazing.... at least if your not a drone.

The dialogue is not amazing at all. It's incredibly bad TVM dialogue. Really, clunky and embarrassing. The NPC animations while they're saying it make it even more risible.

4. TOR has an incredible endgame indeed.

LOL. Oh dear oh dear.

5. TOR is set up with the social aspect in mind and will start out with several million people to get it going.

I sure am looking forward to playing Pazaak in those cantinas or maybe dancing in a band or just cooking some nice food or maybe even sitting down in a chair... Oh wait. You can't do any of those things.

6. My cute jawa companion is just that.... a companion. But in wow you actually will be the kung fu Po panda.....lol

Exactly. In SWTOR you can be one type of differently coloured-human. In WoW you can be a werewolf, a zombie, a minotaur, a gnome...

7. Wow is already afraid!

Yes. Afraid you might self-harm when you realise exactly what you've got after five years of mad hopes and dreams.

Yikes return do you have stock invested in Wow, you are not talking rationally

Originally posted by Zeroxin

I should create an alternate topic that goes more like; "After Playing DCUO and GW2 why would anyone play SWTOR?" just to be cheeky.

played cdu and no one can play gw 2 yet. So thats a bad analogy tor by the way is 100 times better then dc universe. 

I liked my time in it but it wasnt anywhere close to being as good a game as tor. And talk about doing same stuff and areas over and over god no games is worse at that then dc.

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Originally posted by eddieg50

Unless you're fussy and like games that have night and day.

The best night I have seen is in Lotro, the stars twinkle, it really looks like a dark night,

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Originally posted by Omni1rbb

SWTOR, AoC, LOTRO, AION, EQ, AO. L2, EQ2, DAOC, EVE = All better games than WoW :)

Why bother arguing with the WoW fanbots?  They'll just spew the same nonsesical statements like "it's got beautiful graphics and deep and complex pvp with lots of social options and the best end game ever...derp"

You either hate WoW, or you're a fanboi right? I currently play WoW but I can admit it has its faults, most of which are the end game gear grind which is a problem with the entire genre since EQ1.

• Smitty88Smitty88 Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Smitty88

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Because WoW is much better? ToR has slightly better graphics, thats it

star wars is a better more widely know IP than warcraft, most people don't know anything about warcraft but everyone knows what star wars is.

Can you be any more ignorant?

Hundreds of millions of people are at least familiar with the name 'Star Wars', even if they don't remember the movies. Tens of millions of people are familiar with Warcraft and World of Warcraft.

Many, many more people might try SWToR because it's part of the Star Wars franchise that would try World of Warcraft because it's part of the Warcraft franchise.

It's a perfectly valid statement.

If you think only Tens of millions of people are familiar with WoW you are in a daze. Tens of millions play WoW. Hundreds of millions know about WoW. I see a commercial everyday about WoW, not soo many about TOR though. Either way im sure everyone that buys TOR knows about WoW.  Im not a fanboi, im just stateing the obvious.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230

Originally posted by Siveria

Easy answer: A clone of world of warcraft like swtor is, is never as good as the orignal, thats one reason I can think of off the top of my head

The original what? Yeah, I'd say the original WoW was amazing, and deffinitely better than swtor (which has been castrated by EA), but now WoW is only in for the money, not the game itself.  The first expansion completely changed the feel of WoW

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

First of all, that would just be blatant trolling, unless you put it in the DCUO or GW2 forums.  Secondly, those are terrible games as comparisons, since GW2 isn't out, and DCUO is, well, DCUO.  Hopefully, we'll have some good games for such a troll topic eventually, but right now.. we sadly don't, and that's the main reason I'll be playing TOR.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by kalinis

played cdu and no one can play gw 2 yet. So thats a bad analogy tor by the way is 100 times better then dc universe. 

I liked my time in it but it wasnt anywhere close to being as good a game as tor. And talk about doing same stuff and areas over and over god no games is worse at that then dc.

For those who went to the booths like me actually got to play GW2 which ended up making me switch my preorder over  to GW 2, because the alpha was great. Also i do agree DCUO isn't better than SWTOR ha ha.

But umm there are pros and cons with this thread, SWTOR isn't a jack of all trades game least able to balance it out to feel that way. It's of course going to look more polish, better animations(a little bit), and new stuff or innovative(not inventing) stuff. Skyrim is a great game yet you ahve Morrowind fans who beleive it's never going to be out done an hasn't been outdone regardless of what happens, that's just how it is with SWTOR and WoW.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Jolander

Originally posted by Siveria

The original what? Yeah, I'd say the original WoW was amazing, and deffinitely better than swtor (which has been castrated by EA), but now WoW is only in for the money, not the game itself.  The first expansion completely changed the feel of WoW

I am not seeing how TOR is less like WoW:BC, for example, and closer to Vanilla WoW.    Imo, it certainly seems BW is in it for box sales, rather than making the best game they can.    Consider all the 'safe' decisions they made, and the lack of a lot of the mmo elements that are almost considered standard in other mmos (customizable UI, larger race diversity, etc).

• DLunaDLuna Member Posts: 90

Because while the storytelling itself is good, I just don't feel it fits in a multiplayer game. Spending the minimal time I have with friends does not want to be occupied with watching cutscenes together.

Keep it for single player games. Having story cutscenes for an MMO is like having cutscenes for a fighting game or a MOBA. I can't see how it fits, unless it's completely optional or minimal. At least WoW has more or less the exact same gameplay, only without constant interuption that's only feasible when playing alone (like reading a book).

And that's the reason. Flashpoints & PvP (the instanced stuff ironically) are well and good but the open world just doesn't sit right with me. Not to say it's a problem for those who don't mind it of course.

The interesting thing is that I do really like the storytelling for the most part; but only when I forget it's an MMO, which is the problem.