Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF f2p PvE and crafting oriented MMORPG

vonzgredvonzgred Member Posts: 5

First of all, I want to say I am not lazy - but with hundreds of titles, each promising virtually everything (well, no sane marketing guy would endorse putting "this game has no decent crafting system, but lots and lots of ganking" on official gamepage, right?) one would have to waste a week per title on checking what's true and what's a lie and multiplied by hundreds... You see my point. My team, while finding SWTOR beta fun, humbly accepts the emptiness of our wallets and has charged me with finding a new title, after doing some Dungeons and Dragons online (which we find too instanced - no main world encounters and no mob drops were found to be turnoffs)

The sticky topics here were of little help to me - since whenever PvP vs PvE was mentioned, it concerned the existence of both, not the balance between them - and in fact it is the little things that matter.

Basically, I require only two things for game to find it acceptable -

1)Free to play (I know it's a lie too... but that's just  how world works. Let's not unveil the illusions :D ) fantasy setting

2)No PvP gamestyle enforced, endgame included.

Let me elaborate on this one - I have nothing against world-PvP, getting killed from time to time (from time to time, not on hourly basis :D), I just don't want to be forced to do this myself. I want to be able to reach level cap with PvE (not only in theory and while I plan to play with friends, also soloable) and game has to provide some decent PvE action at endgame. I just denounce PvPing, while I can accept its existence - I know that all f2p games are in fact pay to gank games. I will be ganked and I will not pay to gank myself - I just want to able to play a game without the neccessity of doing that (paying). If I can gank for free, well, who I am to decline such an opportunity :D

Of course, acceptable does not mean fun, absorbing and exciting.

I'd be very happy to see a game with:

1)Long journey to endgame. Despite the vast majority of gamers being never interested in the quests, not interested in the journey, and just wanting to know " what's at endgame and how quickly can i get there to be doing it, too?", we are not the types. Slow grind is good, nothing that comes easy and quickly is worth it :D

2)Killing mobs for killing mobs is not good enough - I'd be happy to get some loot. Loot that I can play with - something like "scraps and raws for materials, materials for semiproducts, semiproducts for items, items that can be modified with enchants, enchants made with other kinds of semiproducts (from other scraps and raws) and so on" is deeply appreciated. Simply, if I ask my buddy "what did you find yesterday for my char" I prefer he answers "whole backpack of dry leaves and roots and ores and whatonlyyouneeds you can craft a whole arsenal of things for us all" over "a +3 something armor of something that may suit you (or not)".

All I ask is if maybe someone played a game that fits the scheme I wasn't be able to test so far - I am sure many people played many games I never heard of so far. We thoroughly tested

- World of Warcraft (fitted the list nicely, but we couldn't cope with fees in the long run)

- Ragnarok Online (well, the crafting part was nice, but the graphic was a turnoff and in the end everything was about PvP events )

- bunch of fpp/tpp shooting mmos that lead to conclusion that you either pay, or die (and that some of us do not like pvp at all)

- and recently LotRO (crafting/looting mats part was also nice, but the setting ... well, lets just say some of us turned out to be hardcore fans of Tolkien and some to be hardcore enemies)

- and DDO (fun to play in dungeons, but as title suggests, there's nothing outside of dungeons (and dragons) in this game and that's not the point - we would like to play World with (some) dungeons and dragons, and the world part was practically nonexistant).

We wanted to try Allods now, but I've decided to change a strategy. Time is precious - maybe I should do some asking and recon before we give something try - and here I am. BTW, does Allods Online fit the description above? By googling I weren't able to pass through the shroud of pay to gank whining and pay to play controversies - It's like everybody wanted to emphasize on bad parts of the game - but I did read a lot on grind. Ok, PvPing is hard withotu paying, I get it - but since most people want to do PvP, it's obvious they will whine about it - but maybe there is nice pre-endgame PvE aspect to this game few people care for, and therefore it did not get the deserved attention in the web? Is there any endgame PvE?

Comments

• Scooch25Scooch25 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 105

I didn't read the wall of text but if you want a free to play crafting oriented MMORPG, then check out Fallen Earth.

• vonzgredvonzgred Member Posts: 5

If you had read my post you would know that Fallen Earth does not fit the description even in slightest detail.  Or it fits, but in the section I described as something I would not like to play :)

Here http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1667231#1667231 it is suggested I should describe the problem in details, which I did. Is expecting ppl to read a question they are trying to answer too much these days...?

• Nimhlan1Nimhlan1 Member CommonPosts: 21

Originally posted by vonzgred

If you had read my post you would know that Fallen Earth does not fit the description even in slightest detail.  Or it fits, but in the section I described as something I would not like to play :)

Here http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1667231#1667231 it is suggested I should describe the problem in details, which I did. Is expecting ppl to read a question they are trying to answer too much these days...?

Fallen Earth fits every part of your description.

Not sure why you decided to be a DB to someone trying to help you.

• hatsikideehatsikidee Member UncommonPosts: 4

The fact that people write in this forum, seeking desperately for a game that fits their wishes after trying several titles proofs that there is no such game that has all those things people want.

Originally posted by Nimhlan1

Because every time I see "tl;dr" my inner child cries in anguish. Reading is not hard. I knew I was expected to write "I thank you for your valuable input" but I couldn't force myself to write such a blatant lie. If "tl;dr" approach to life is okay and opposing to it is douchebaggery , then I am DB and proud of it. I don't really want to start a flame about it, but if reading starts to be hard for homo sapiens, after few thousands years of struggle to popularise it and reaching 0% illiteracy, then our civilisation is in decline.

And Fallen Earth is not fantasy setting. And it's PvP oriented - only crafting fits the scheme. And most importantly - it's a damn shooter.

Originally posted by hatsikidee

The fact that people write in this forum, seeking desperately for a game that fits their wishes after trying several titles proofs that there is no such game that has all those things people want.

Yeah, I was getting more and more afraid of that. Another hint is I was happy with WoW - and there's no sign on the horizon for it converting to f2p. Good things just don't come for free - but it's also true, the quality after 2.4.3 was dropping...

• OphidianzOphidianz Member Posts: 8

what about LOTRO?

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Everquest 2 Free to play server, called Extended. Actually they are turning all the servers to free to play. As far as I know, and If nothing is changed in the new version of free to play, You just need to become Silver, that means you spend 10 bucks on the store and you are silver forever. You dont have the spells and skills at max but they are good enought for pve.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

unfortunaly for you and me and a lot of other MMO'ers. Your ideal game does not exist. I would personally warn you against allods. When I played, its been a while ago, at its launch, you were essentially forced into PvP. Forced to do quests in a PvP zone to level. Not to mention that w/o item shop stuff you had no chance. I dont know if they changed it or not. I quit playing that game when they deleted my account for account sharing. Which I did not do. (I travel for work and would play on laptop in hotels, but at home I would play on my gaming PC somehow this flagged me for account sharing) Im still rather pissed about that............

My best advise for you would be for you to seriously look into Guild Wars 2 even though your going to have a wait on your hands. Because I can not think of a f2p game that will fit your criteria.

edit: Above poster had a good game, I forgot about EQ2. The only problem I have with p2p games that go f2p is playing them feels like your playing at a handicap, and I end up subbing up. But thats just my opinion. Maybe that doesnt bother you like it does me.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Everquest 2 is going to have all its servers become free to play in the next few hours. Lovely crafting system, 90 levels and alternate advancemen points with endgame not being a problem if you like to explore. Fantasy with some steampunk here and there, and you can play up to level 90 without really paying for anything at the beginning.

I hope this helps!

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

out of every game mentioned eq2 and eq1 to a lesser extent fit your bill the best... imho.

eq2 has a really neat crafting system.  eq1 a little less so but it's got  the style points that can only come from being an OG mmo :)

rift has good pve gaming but it's not free outside the trial.

if you want a couple off the wall suggestions, and i am going to get yelled at for this... eve's economy is based on resource gathering and crafting, the game actually grinds to a halt without it.  and if you stay in areas where it's hard to get pvp'd you can easily go months without getting touched in pvp.  (when i was a non pvp person in eve, i think i got ganked 2x over the course of 20-24 months).  and once you are established in eve you can buy game time with in-game currency so eventually if you really need, it'll be free to play.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by vonzgred

Originally posted by Nimhlan1

Because every time I see "tl;dr" my inner child cries in anguish. Reading is not hard. I knew I was expected to write "I thank you for your valuable input" but I couldn't force myself to write such a blatant lie. If "tl;dr" approach to life is okay and opposing to it is douchebaggery , then I am DB and proud of it. I don't really want to start a flame about it, but if reading starts to be hard for homo sapiens, after few thousands years of struggle to popularise it and reaching 0% illiteracy, then our civilisation is in decline.

And Fallen Earth is not fantasy setting. And it's PvP oriented - only crafting fits the scheme. And most importantly - it's a damn shooter.

Originally posted by hatsikidee

Yeah, I was getting more and more afraid of that. Another hint is I was happy with WoW - and there's no sign on the horizon for it converting to f2p. Good things just don't come for free - but it's also true, the quality after 2.4.3 was dropping...

Hmm,  you were willing to beta test SWTOR but will only accept a fantasy setting now?  And if a post apocalyptic earth isn't a fantasy (at least for now) I don't know what is. 

Fallen Earth is now Free to Play, and its PVP is entirely optional and can be completely avoided. I never died once in there, in fact, was never attacked, even when I went in the PVP zones, because they have the most prolific gathering points. 

It has one of the best crafting systems out there right now (most everything useful is made by crafters) and it is hardly a shooter by any stretch of the imagination.  In fact, when I played melee builds were arguablly the most powerful out there.

I think you are doing yourself a disservice to not even give the game a try (did I mention, it's free?) especially in light of the limited offerings that are currently out there.

But if you insist on classic high fantasy, recommend you go with EQ2, entire game is being converted to F2P today, and while the free players have some limitations, you can experience most of the content with very little money spent. Most eventually go for at least the 10.00 (one time fee) silver membership

No forced or open world PVP (except on the PVP servers of course), tons of crafting to keep you busy, will take you quite a while to progress up to current level cap (90) and is one of the deepest F2P's out there.

More importantly, the cash shop will not impart any sort of benefits that will signicantly ruin your experience if  you don't partake of it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Thanks people, I will give EQ2 a try.

Fallen Earth too, actually - with my aggresive response to first reply I probably created the impression I am prejudiced against this title and it's not true. Tl;dr just hits my buttons too easily :/ Maybe I won't like the game in the end, but I will give it a decent chance.

Thanks for the opinion on Allods.

Originally posted by toddze

The only problem I have with p2p games that go f2p is playing them feels like your playing at a handicap, and I end up subbing up. But thats just my opinion. Maybe that doesnt bother you like it does me.

And as for that - the handicaps are more irritating in PvP environments. I am no type to be jealous that someone kills mobs easier than I do - PvE is hardly direct competition with other players (except few exceptions of course). But when I become a direct victim to p2gank schemes and game offers hardly anything beside PvP - then it's either pay, or change the game.

• tachiorztachiorz Member Posts: 1

You should try mabinogi. 

PROS: unique combat, craft with minigames, alot of life skills, no classes, years to endgame, anime style.

CONS: unique combat, old, old graphics, hackers, anime style.

require lagless internet, good reflexes and leatrix latency fix.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

• XaccTheHoboXaccTheHobo Member Posts: 1
    If you want a good WoW clone that also brings something different I highly recommend runes of magic. It is a lot like WoW but it is f2p and pvp is not at all required. I definetly think it matches what you are looking for :) I dunno how to explain it very well so I say just look up a review or try it out and see if you agree:D
  • nerixa248nerixa248 Member UncommonPosts: 45

i would suggest pwi

There is pvp and pve servers. in pve servers also can go into pk mode if want to.

there is guild war(territory war) 80 vs 80 players and also small wars(nation wars) 20 vs 20 players with capture the flag in it where for 2 hours u can go from one map to another(they just increase map amount to 120 and u can see how many enemies are in there so you can join map that have less enemies if don't wanna be ganked. Nation wars starts at lvl 60, lower lvls gets buffs, u get points for dealing dmg, taking dmg, killing players, getting flag..so even if suck and get killed a lot u can still get nice amount of points with what u can get items for endgame gears.

It is free to play and game have gold auction house. players who buy gold with rl money can sell their gold in auction house to other players for ingame cash. I guess thats the reason why pwi is like only game that doesn't get spammed by gold sellers.

It have huge open world with lots of quests, dungeons, wolrd bosses, it is old game but still updating game with huge expansions.

all level mobs have chance to drop crafting items, theres also materials on grounds to farm, at lvl 5 u can start crafting gears/potions(can learn all skills and don't have to chose only one), dungeon bosses have chance to drop item for legendary item crafting, at lvl 60 there is dungeon to kill bosses for more items and for refining stones and so on...there are really a lot of items to craft and if you play in group will be much easier to gear everyone up. from lvl 10 monsters also drop dragon quest items that u can npc for points to buy event gold. with event gold can buy lots of item mall stuff(there is item mall for gold and event gold, item mall with event gold have like half of the real item mall items but with increased price), so grinding in this game isn't just for exp and it feels awarding.

more fun features:

flying, combat in air

awesome character customization, also tons of fashion, many different mounts, flyers and cute all class pets

with good teamwork pvp in wars isn't so bad, also territory map gets resseted once or twice a year to give smaller pvp guilds a chance to compete

game allows to dual client, so you can start merchanting at low lvl or play tank and set up cleric to fly above u and heal

lots of daily quests - daily dungeons etc, endgame dungeons can also award you with socket stones, enchant stones or even 5mil coin.

game just added more money rewards for quests, decreased monsters needed to kill, added more quests from lvl 20-80

10 different classes

that game got me addicted for 4 long years

huge guilds, guild base - guilds can have up to 200 so usually in guilds theres always 30-80 online players online at all time

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    I would try Vanguard  it is free to play all the way to the end if you decide to subscribe its a little less than 10 dollars a month if you pay for three months at a time. Vanguard has great crafting and it takes awhile to reach end game. One last thing no pvp at all.
  • najob75najob75 Member UncommonPosts: 48

Vanguard.

Free. Deep crafting.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yup vanguard..

IF you want a fantasy PVE only with good crafting then its a good choice..

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540

I reccomend Istaria:Chronicles of the Gifted. Reasons:

1)Free to play (I know it's a lie too... but that's just  how world works. Let's not unveil the illusions :

Free to play option exists: restricted to Human race and having no land plots. otherwise, all content is accesible. And no cash shop exists.

D ) fantasy setting

there are many races, including playable Dragons.

2)No PvP gamestyle enforced, endgame included.

PvP can only exist in certain arenas that are not so easy to find. otherwise - no option to attack other player.

1)Long journey to endgame. Despite the vast majority of gamers being never interested in the quests, not interested in the journey, and just wanting to know " what's at endgame and how quickly can i get there to be doing it, too?", we are not the types. Slow grind is good, nothing that comes easy and quickly is worth it :D

Depends on what you call "an endgame". Since Istaria has lots of adventure and crafting classes - it would really take very long to master them all. If fighting lvl.100 dungeons solo - and wining - is an endgame, then it's truly will take long. However, if "endgame" is considered as "top-level in 1 school", game may take short time.

2)Killing mobs for killing mobs is not good enough - I'd be happy to get some loot. Loot that I can play with - something like "scraps and raws for materials, materials for semiproducts, semiproducts for items, items that can be modified with enchants, enchants made with other kinds of semiproducts (from other scraps and raws) and so on" is deeply appreciated. Simply, if I ask my buddy "what did you find yesterday for my char" I prefer he answers "whole backpack of dry leaves and roots and ores and whatonlyyouneeds you can craft a whole arsenal of things for us all" over "a +3 something armor of something that may suit you (or not)".

Formulas for crafting do drop.  Some components needed for crafting must be obtained from killing mobs. As for Dragons - any loot is a good one since Dragons must hoard: their attacks uses hoard. Other stuff are trophies: collect 5, go to appropriate level Trophy hunter, receive xp and some cash.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    I recommend not casting necromantic spells on threads this old?

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    I recommend not casting necromantic spells on threads this old?

braaaaainzzzzz....

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

otherwise can someone please explain to me why revisiting old discussions with new information is problematic for forums? I do mean this question and im not trying to start an argument. honestly just curious.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Well in this thread it wouldn't be much of an issue revisiting but what if it were a 20+ page threadnaught ? and what if you were repeating things already stated? not very constructive to the thread and also making new threads can allow more open discussions whereas old ones can be quite exhausted of that potential.

Originally posted by Dihoru
    Well in this thread it wouldn't be much of an issue revisiting but what if it were a 20+ page threadnaught ? and what if you were repeating things already stated? not very constructive to the thread and also making new threads can allow more open discussions whereas old ones can be quite exhausted of that potential.

thank you. out of all the reasons given i think i would agree with the last one the most.

thanks again.

• MikeDikeOnlineMikeDikeOnline Member Posts: 10

Don't checked the other pages here, so maybe someones has alrdy posted it. 

Check The Repopulation. It will be F2P with an in-depth crafting/ressource system, but yea, not released yet (still alpha). But going to be awesome, if you want sci-fi anyway :D