Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Open Letter to Bioware EA

Comments

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i do understand that. Im just sayign the reason for the rage is because in july they promised a grace period and now they arent given one.

I still think people would rage if they hadnt promised one in july but they did do that. 

Im actually on biowares side here not those whining but i understand why they are upset.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by Sephros

Exactly.  If people are so offended, then cancel.  Don't act mad, give them your money and say "It's ok guys, I just wanted to vent".  No point.

QFT. Refusing to buy a product is the only real bargaining chip you have as a consumer. It'd be nice if every company did the best they can to please their costumers, but real life just doesn't work that way. For many companies we're just a net game. They sleep perfectly fine pissing off a few customers, as long as the checks keep clearing.

You know, for all the hate people like to throw at SWG vets I'm at least happy a good majority of us back in the day did this very thing, and many Eve players made a similar gesture after the WiS issue.  Speak with your money because the whining and bitching changes nothing.  Sadly, most of the people crying about this don't have the intestinal fortitude to actually put their money where their mouth is.  Lastly, the website clearly states and has stated that the terms of the pre-order and game access are subject to change without notice.  You have no leg to stand on.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by Xerith

Originally posted by Cannyone

I totally agree!  They clearly said there would be a "grace period".  Now they decide not to allow it!  That's just poor management, plain and simple.  And obviously its an example of EA's Greed!  They have us at a disadvantage and they know it.  But that just adds "insult to injury".  I just don't know what we can do contructively to let them know just how much it pisses us of...?

How would a grace period be linked to greed what so ever? There is 0 financial difference if you get the game on day 1, or the game 3 days later and start playing. Please tell me this was a joke post. 

Well they seem to want to force people to go the Digital route with Origin (by not having a Grace period).  And I can see why they would.  See that's just about as close to 100% profit for them.  They don't have to burn media.  They don't have the expense of the packaging.  They don't have to ship product to the stores.  And they don't share digital distribution with anyone else.  But you don't seem to want to think things over very thoroughly.  So of course you can't see anything underhanded with what they're doing.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

If that was truly their intention all along, doing it this way would be quite possibly the worst way to go about doing that. This also effects CE users, of which last I knew you cant even get in the Origin store anymore, and that is their biggest money maker. Not to mention this would severely risk a loss of pre-orders by jaded people who refuse to re-order and just flat out cancel. The tiny amount of cash they would possibly stand to gain from this really does not cover any sort of silly conspiracy theory. 

I've thought it out plenty, I'm just not one of those people that scream foul every time a company does something I'm not overly fond of. Stuff happens, and like myself and others have said, in 6 months no one will care they had to play 3 days later. 

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by eric1000

Originally posted by Zarynterk

Originally posted by eric1000

I am constantly amazed by these types of post; get a frigging life.  I will not be playing until the evening of the 25th as a family member in their wisdom decided that ToR would make a good christmas gift for me.  So I don't get to play for another 15 days; big deal.  The game will be going for years, not a few weeks.  I wish that you had cancelled your pre-order because frankly, the community doesn't need you.  Can't have it now so you throw your teddy in the corner, well boohoo and welcome to the real world, you know, the one that doesn't revolve around you.

Says the 50 year old dude that doesnt have the sack to say "Im playin the game on release dammit, buy me somethin else..."

And yes I am happily married, and my wife would know better ; )

Buddy, I don't care about playing the game as soon as the servers open because I actually do have a life and it doesn't revolve around a few pixels.  Take your wife out for a meal or something and enjoy some quality time with non-virtual people; the game will still be there when you're done.  Plus you will not have to fight through the massive number of players all trying to do the same quest as you.  You are correct about my age though, well done you can read.  I will be spending a quality christmas with my grandchildren and will enjoy the game when i play it; a few days here or there makes absolutely no difference.

props to you Eric1000,

same here, i have witheld the urge to buy any new released game (yes including Skyrim) just in case someone will be reading my  obvious hints like my SANTA list glued to the fridge, microwave, desk, lamps, shower curtains. its a fun little tradition my family has...

you know, what is a few days more or less... you will still lag to death in the starter zone, you will still be able to get into those queue lines, and frequent server crashes, until they get their bearing and sail smooth.

to be honest, due to the history of recent releases, i would rather much WAIT 30 days and see the reviews and comments of actual gamers and not media who is probably paid to advertize the product. AND if in 30 days if the servers are still crashing, and the launch bugs have not been patched... i dont really think i want to be playing...

just my 2 cents

oh and P.S. this is how your letter sounded, and ill translated into easy english

YOU AND YOUR STUFF SUCKS... AND IM GOING TO GIVE YOU MONEY.... CUZ I WANT IT... BUT JUST KNOW THAT YOU SUCK!

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Agree that if there is no grace period, its kind of sucks, but lets face it, what really is a few days to a game that people could be playing for years ?!!?!??!?

So it might suck that some people will miss out on a few days of game play, and maybe a bit unfair, but its not the end of the world. Bigger things to worry about in life then a game.

• SkeeterslintSkeeterslint Member UncommonPosts: 71

Honestly I think them giving no grace period is a way to get the trolls off the forums quickly, your not paying GTFO and oh BTW since your not paying you can't post here either.I am surpised they didn't offer a grace period but in a way I am glad they are not becuase as of late the beta forums and the general forum have been full of trolls who had pre orders but cancelled them but since they still have their pre-order codes in will still get to come  troll the game during early access but once that time is up they will all get the boot unless they are paying customers who have input a game key onto their accounts.This way hopefully it won't degrade as badly as the WoW forums did with a bunch of tools crying and whining all the time, not that this won't happen but hopefully won't happen as much.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Originally posted by Xerith

I totally agree!  They clearly said there would be a "grace period".  Now they decide not to allow it!  That's just poor management, plain and simple.  And obviously its an example of EA's Greed!  They have us at a disadvantage and they know it.  But that just adds "insult to injury".  I just don't know what we can do contructively to let them know just how much it pisses us of...?
    How would a grace period be linked to greed what so ever? There is 0 financial difference if you get the game on day 1, or the game 3 days later and start playing. Please tell me this was a joke post. 

Well they seem to want to force people to go the Digital route with Origin (by not having a Grace period).  And I can see why they would.  See that's just about as close to 100% profit for them.  They don't have to burn media.  They don't have the expense of the packaging.  They don't have to ship product to the stores.  And they don't share digital distribution with anyone else.  But you don't seem to want to think things over very thoroughly.  So of course you can't see anything underhanded with what they're doing.

That is pure conspiracy theory nonsense. If they wanted that, they could simply make it digital download only. The fact is that, at this point, those discs are already burned, and the packaging already created. What? Do you think they burn, package, and ship them all the night before release? Plus, they want them in stores for people to see on the shelves and buy, especially during the holidays.

The really funny part about that is that they are "forcing" people to go the digital route. No one has to "go the digital route". People can go the digital route if they are freakishly obsessed with the possibility that they won't have their physical game by the 20th.

The fact is that most people will have the game in time. Many have already started receiving them. Even if some are delyed, most people can manage through a day or two without the game. Those that can't can always buy the digital version. That is an option. You are not being forced.

Official post:

"Our sales and marketing teams are working closely with retailers in the US (edit: plus Canada) and Europe to ensure that copies of Star Wars: The Old Republic will be delivered in time for launch day."

'Delivered in time' does mean that we are working to ensure retailers ship boxes in time for launch day. When retailers ship those boxes is down to those individual retailers, but the intention here is to ensure that for all of our launch territories, copies are delivered in time for launch day (December 20th).

Nothing can be guaranteed, but that is the intention.

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

Here's a total noob perspective as far as beta/ early access and MMO launches go. I've heard about SWTOR coming out for many months and thought nothing of it. At the end of November I realized this was gonna be happening pretty quick. I have some disposable income so I though: "Yeah, I'll try it." So I check out the official site and read the details of early access and whatnot. Not really concerned about it, I preordered the digital download and get my code and enter it on the site and get all good to go for early access. No problems. I haven't bought a boxed game since The Ruins of Kunark in 2001.

I don't know how you guys can't expect to encounter issues when you preorder a box for such a massively anticipated game. And preorder relatively "late." It's like going to Walmart on Black Friday to get a half off X-Box 360 and not expecting to get pepper sprayed by an aggressive mother. If it's that big a deal to you- prepare better next time.

• SkeeterslintSkeeterslint Member UncommonPosts: 71

The problem I see with people complaining they won't have their boxes on time and this doesn't go for people outside the US/Canada is that they are going by estimates on an order page.I know people flame Gamestop alot but I have pre-ordered a few mmo's from them and they have all shown up on release day if you have paid for next day air since they will ship them out the day before release, I have done it for Warhammer, got it on release day and Aion, and got it on release day.Peoples problem is they are looking at estimated ship/recieve dates not actaul ship/recieve dates (heres pointing at you Amazon), these people just need to chill and wait till its closer to release before they start to panic on when they will get their boxes.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Bioware did not lie to anyone. I understand your frustration, but a lie would indicate that they were trying to decieve you. They changed what the original plan was, so they updated the site to reflect it. Maybe they did not handle it as well as it should have been, but having played a TON of MMOs, I can tell you that they are like saints compared to some companies. You still have/had the opportunity to cancel your pre-order.  You should be greatful that they are going out of there way to ship it from online retailers faster.

This is why people should order digital or in-store! I know tons of MMOs give a grace period,but I don't ever risk it so it never affects me. You took the chance at ordering it online, so you should be willing to wait an extra day or two to play after the headstart.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Sorry it didn't work out OP. You should have done a bit of homework befor trotting off to Amazon to make sure that the product was viable in your territory. More so should have done due diligence before recommending it to your bros.

Lesson learned. You will still give them your money because you want their product. 

This is not the only dissapointment here in the states I can tell you about: over 500,000 customers who reserved their copy from Walmart had their pre-orders "accidentally" deleted by Walmart, no recoursive action. Now they were given the option to reserve it through EA's Origin service. How convienient...how shady.

I keep forgetting that this is the only game in town.

Originally posted by Inktomi

Sorry it didn't work out OP. You should have done a bit of homework befor trotting off to Amazon to make sure that the product was viable in your territory. More so should have done due diligence before recommending it to your bros.

Lesson learned. You will still give them your money because you want their product. 

This is not the only dissapointment here in the states I can tell you about: over 500,000 customers who reserved their copy from Walmart had their pre-orders "accidentally" deleted by Walmart, no recoursive action. Now they were given the option to reserve it through EA's Origin service. How convienient...how shady.

I keep forgetting that this is the only game in town.

Not likely to be a conspiracy as you point out. This has been cleared up and was actually an error on Wal-Mart's part. You think Wal-Mart wants this kind of press? EA just ships the boxes to Wal-Mart warehouses, they don't have anything to do with orders or shipments beyond that. http://www.oldrepublic.net/260-walmart-swtor-pre-order-issue-has-been-resolved.html

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Can someone explain grace period to me?  I dont know what the big ideal is, you still get to play the pre-release right? or Do we have to wait on the physical copy?  Im confused.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Can someone explain grace period to me?  I dont know what the big ideal is, you still get to play the pre-release right? or Do we have to wait on the physical copy?  Im confused.

A grace period is when the developer of an MMO allows you a small "grace period" to enter your code after a headstart while you await your shipment of a game. So if you just finished the  3 day headstart and the game comes out, you don't have to enter your code until the "grace period" is over. They usually last about a week at the most because you can essentially pre-order the game and play it until the grace-period is over without paying for anything but the 5$ pre-order.

• AurorusAurorus Member UncommonPosts: 60

Thing is, many of us have already PAID for the game and were given a release date. The fact that they didn't allow for a grace period for shipping to those of us who bought physical copies online is like if an Activision rep came into your house 7 days after buying MW3 and took it and said "You can have this back in 7 days". Granted, most services ship early to guarantee launch day delivery for titles like this but then it depends on the retailer.

Intel Core i7 2600k 4.8ghz
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    8GB Corsair 1600 DDR3
    Diamond Radeon 7970 3GB
    3x Dell U2412M 6048x1200
    2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 [Raid 0]
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Originally posted by Aurorus

Thing is, many of us have already PAID for the game and were given a release date. The fact that they didn't allow for a grace period for shipping to those of us who bought physical copies online is like if an Activision rep came into your house 7 days after buying MW3 and took it and said "You can have this back in 7 days". Granted, most services ship early to guarantee launch day delivery for titles like this but then it depends on the retailer.

Thing is, it works like any other product in this case. Having a headstart or a grace period is a privilege, not a right. Once you place your order and the product has shipped it works like anything else--you get it and than you get to play it. 

• zerrinzerrin Member Posts: 14

;Aurorus 

Its not the same thing as if activision came and took your game. You guys are really making a big deal out of nothing.  Bunch of crybabes i swear. Seriously as others have stated. You were not lied to. Go spend some time with your family if you have not already alienated them to the point where you want to spend all of xmas on a  video game. 

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

People keep saying it's only a day or 2.  My shipping date was for Dec 29 - Jan 9.  I changed my shipping method, now it says 25th.  I refuse to pay anymore for shipping.  I don't really care about the few days.  What I do care about is leveling up with my friends.  

;

bleyzwun

looks like you either live in an area that the game isnt being published just yet, Or you picked the wrong palce to order. EA/bioware have been doing a ton to make this a great launch. And i will be completely honest so far they are way ahead of so many mmo's when it comes to prelaunches. They are keeping everyone informed and they are trying to get everyone there copies early. Aswell they gave us 2 extra days on early start. So keep QQing it does everyone so much good. At least its entertaining i guess

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

Why didn't you just have someone in the states buy the digital code for you ? I did that for the 2 australians in my guild and they are good to go. Paypal works wonders

• AurorusAurorus Member UncommonPosts: 60

Originally posted by zerrin

;Aurorus 

Its not the same thing as if activision came and took your game. You guys are really making a big deal out of nothing.  Bunch of crybabes i swear. Seriously as others have stated. You were not lied to. Go spend some time with your family if you have not already alienated them to the point where you want to spend all of xmas on a  video game. 

Not really, I got mine from gamestop so I will have it most likely at midnight or launch day but I would be upset if I was one of the hundres of thousands who won't get their copy thus suffering a break of service. I am assuming some people who scheduled vacations etc. to coincide with the release date and now will have that time mean nothing. It's just slightly inconsiderate of the dev/publisher to their already payed for customers.

Intel Core i7 2600k 4.8ghz
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    8GB Corsair 1600 DDR3
    Diamond Radeon 7970 3GB
    3x Dell U2412M 6048x1200
    2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 [Raid 0]
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Originally posted by Aurorus

Originally posted by zerrin

;Aurorus 

Not really, I got mine from gamestop so I will have it most likely at midnight or launch day but I would be upset if I was one of the hundres of thousands who won't get their copy thus suffering a break of service. I am assuming some people who scheduled vacations etc. to coincide with the release date and now will have that time mean nothing. It's just slightly inconsiderate of the dev/publisher to their already payed for customers.

Its not inconsiderate. They have been doing everything in there power to get it shipped to people earlier and any many places in the USA people are going to be getting there copy early. Also if you planned on taking vacation time for this game release it would of been smarter for you to order a digital copy, that way your guarenteed to have your cd key so there would be no interuption. And dont give me that oooo but i want a hard copy bullshit. And you say already paid customer, Check your bank statement have you been charged for anything yet. Nope didnt think so. So calling yourself and already paid for customers, well your a soon to be payed customer. People should realize that a digital copy is going to allow you a guarantee that your going to get a game on release day. 

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

lol... I am in the states.  I ordered off Amazon, which is what I always do.  I have never had this problem with any other MMO I preordered.  This is the first time there was no grace period.  I was also under the impression there would be a grace period, or I would have gone with the digital copy.  

Whatever, though.  Not a huge deal.  I just would have liked to level up with some of my friends.  It also kinda sucks cuz I told my friend, who is way more excited about this game, to get it from Amazon. 

EA fucked up on this one.  If they just said they didn't know if there would be a grace period, or flat out said no, this wouldn't be a problem for some people.  What's worse is, it seems more like a push for people to go with their Origins service than anything else.  

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Seriously though, if you are having to wait 7 days (or more) for it to be delivered, pick a different retailer to order from. Many have release date delivery. They have already started shipping the games, so stores with reasonable shipping times might still get them to you on time. They also extended the early access period to up to 7 days.

If you have already paid in full, that is completely on your retailer. Even the $5 preorder charge is the retailer. Some places charge nothing to pre-order. Plus the preorder is no different that buying the game later. You aren't paying extra when you pre-order, and in many cases, you aren't paying anything toward the game until they ship it. If you ordered the game at release, and ordered from the same retailer, you would have the same delay. There would be no grace period then. The difference is that you would get no early access time either.

They are trying very hard to get the game to retailers with plenty of time to ship them in a reasonable time frame. Most people will have the game in time.

Yeah, paying customers will not have a grace period. You know who else won't? Non-paying customers. It will clear out the server queues of all the people that got free pre-orders that don't plan to pay. That is a benefit to the paying customers that do get their game at release.

Originally posted by bleyzwun
    People keep saying it's only a day or 2. My shipping date was for Dec 29 - Jan 9. I changed my shipping method, now it says 25th. I refuse to pay anymore for shipping. I don't really care about the few days. What I do care about is leveling up with my friends.

I don't know what to tell you. 3 weeks to deliver a game is not acceptable. Order from somewhere else. Maybe the place that your friends are getting theirs from....or get the download version.

Originally posted by bleyzwun

EA fucked up on this one. If they just said they didn't know if there would be a grace period, or flat out said no, this wouldn't be a problem for some people. What's worse is, it seems more like a push for people to go with their Origins service than anything else.

No question about it. They made a mistake. That happens in big companies, which is why some devs post very little info on their message boards, because if things change, people act as if it was a blood oath.

The pushing people to Origin makes no sense, at all. If that were the case, wouldn't everyone's delivery be delayed? I ordered from Amazon, and my delivery date is still set for the 20th.