Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are you bitter Sandbox MMO gamers playing right now?

Comments

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

About to play SWTOR. 

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

Dawntide here!

I know its early days and has a lot to work on, but i am having fun and think it has great potential. So if me sticking with it maye help it along and turn into something good then i will stay with it.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Second Life.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I'm playing Mortal Online, and always dabbling with EvE.

Will no doubt give SWTOR a shot as well.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Skyrim, Saint's Row 3 and EVE Online.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Skyrim... and playing on and off whatever MMOs i feel like at moment.

Right now trying DCOU and Lineage2

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Imo the only real viable sandbox is Vanguard also with the devs giveing it some love at last there is still life in the old dog yet,but any sandbox nut will be watching the Archeage vids and drooling somewhat.

As a single player sandbox Skyrim will come to life after the CK hits as the modders still have managed over 1000 mods with rudimentary tools quite staggering if u think about it.

Also tried the SWTOR beta was not to impressed Bioware went this route but Themparks do pull in the masses and i did enjoy it to a certain extent so still on the backburner for me.

p>
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Reading through this thread, I think I'm going to fire up Vanguard again. My tigerdude and his camel need to go adventuring again.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Eve online for now. Got a great deal in e- mail and couldn't pass  the offer. It was nice to revisit after one year break.

And hey i am not bitter, i understand that different people enjoy different things.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Daimyo21

People should check out ArcheAge.  Sandpark game.  Best of Sandbox and Themepark features all in one game.  It just started CBT4 yesterday and so far theres a good amount of videos showing the starter areas.

Remember.  If you dont know ArcheAge, read what the content it has before you watch the videos else you might think its another themepark WoW without actually knowing about the game and what its trying to achieve.

If I had to make a brief description about it.

If Ultima Online, Asherons Call:Darktide, Dark Ages of Camelot, WoW and Darkfall were to have a big fucking orgy, theyd come out with ArcheAge.  And Ive played all the game ive listed above minus UO.  If that doesnt catch your attention.  Then you might be into more linear type WoW clone MMOs and thats fine. 

Dont tease us with Arheage, its real real far for its release in the west

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I confess, I'm a closet sandbox gamer, and truthfully EVE is the only one I spent any real time in. (3.5 yrs).

So I'm currently playing EQ2 but I will be playing Skyrim come Christmas to keep my bitter sandbox gamer street cred up. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I love sandbox games, but until one comes out, i'll enjoy SWTOR and TSW and GW2.  Probably not at the same time.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Well ive seen the video's from archage thats one i surely won't play a lineage clone with terible  white paled skinny elves uugghh terible looking game and gameplay also grind grind grind.

For now ill stick with SKYRIM:)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Kyleran

I confess, I'm a closet sandbox gamer, and truthfully EVE is the only one I spent any real time in. (3.5 yrs).

So I'm currently playing EQ2 but I will be playing Skyrim come Christmas to keep my bitter sandbox gamer street cred up. image

Closet sandbox fan my arse. I believe you once referred to the boards as a place for PVP. image

The one thing I have always respected about ya Kyl is that you keep it real. Instead of trying to pass your love of this niche sub genre as something everyone else should be doing, you understand that folks dont need to validate what they enjoy.

I wish more sandbox fans would act like you, or Loke666.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• SonictempalSonictempal Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by pharazonic

Originally posted by pharazonic

From what I can tell, they are playing Themepark Basher Online. Patch 189.4: The Launch of SWTOR, just came out and they are chewing through content at a record pace.

don't knock it till you try it brah :P

haha I know too well :)

I'm still playing SWG taking lots of pics and vids. Been playing since June 03. Am I a bitter sandboxer? Yeah at times heh.

I firmly believe/hope we have not seen the last of SWG. Hopefully, it will come back some day under some incarnation...

I just want to see a new mmorpg come out that does what SWG was originally trying to do. I mean ffs even now, in its current frankenstein state, SWG has more unique features and variety of content than TOR and GW2 combined. Can we please, please get another mmo that has dedicated non-combat classes?

sorry. /endrant

lol...It's ok mate...we understand the frustration.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

righteho, old-school, golden oldie craving a new virtual world here.  Playing and loving Eve, and just started getting back into GW1, with the morivation of trying to hit 30 achievment points - really makes it fun and interesting when played as an old school RPG - recommend it for those that love big goals that stretch over months.  And finally, Skyrim, im back to my old Morrowind/dont play until the next big mods comes out times -awsome, gaming is damn fine just now.   GW2 and Archeage for the next 2 years to look forward too.  My glass is not only half full, its sloshing about a bit :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Playing? Nothing.

Subscribed to EVE. I log in every now and then, check markets fly a ship here and there. Troll jita local. Waiting for Tera.

m'eh

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Like so many others, Skyrim.  It is more MMO than any MMO currently out (or coming out anytime soon), kind of a sad refection on the state of things really.

Also Civ5, because it is fun.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Moaky07

Originally posted by Kyleran

Closet sandbox fan my arse. I believe you once referred to the boards as a place for PVP. image

The one thing I have always respected about ya Kyl is that you keep it real. Instead of trying to pass your love of this niche sub genre as something everyone else should be doing, you understand that folks dont need to validate what they enjoy.

I wish more sandbox fans would act like you, or Loke666.

Well, I regret missing some of the early sandbox titles such as UO and SWG when they were in their glory, but after playing EVE for a time I grew to love what they offered and have just been waiting for the chance to play a few more. (I even bought Xyson and let them keep the cash)

But I will agree, its a niche market and there's no way for it to appeal to a large market share, mostly because even amongst  our selves we sandbox gamers can't come to an agreement on what a sandbox game is or how it should play.

I believe in safe zones such as EVE has, or loot drop mechanics like Shadowbane that protected the gear you wore, but dropped what you had in your backpack (including gold).   Other folks prefer FFA full looting, you aren't safe even from your own guildmates friendly fire type mechanics which I would never tolerate.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by jerlot65

Originally posted by GeminiStatic

I'm just wondering because quite frankly I'm beginning to think that since we're all on this hardcore mission on playing a GOOD sandbox MMMO and they aren't any....we're possibly playing something else to fill that void a bit.

I think right now I'm playing a mix between some EVE Online  (only really skilling up right now because I know better not to PvP right now)... League of Legends.... as a good MOBA, Fallen Earth (I'm a huge hardcore post apocalyptic setting fan please give me a good sandbox mmo), and Global Agenda as a decent fps mmo. 

So what are you guys playing?

i think you sandbox lovers are sitting home playing some game inside your head that you think is just the easiest thing to make but think nobody has the balls to make it.

amirite?

You know me too well, it seems :P 

I just finished writing this blog which has some ideas for MMORPG, but not necessarily sandbox type, just few things that could do something to freshen-up this utterly stale state of our favorite game genre.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/wizyy/122011/22351_Practical-stuff-that-can-be-implemented

Anyway, back on topic, I play World of Tanks, Civilization 5, bit of Skyrim.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

SWTOR and Skyrim.

The days of the QUALITY sandbox MMORPG are gone. Might as well play something else now.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

EVE Online - Usually pair it with League of Legends for a bit of gaming balance, but they have been doing too many radical changes/nerfs to really enjoy playing it anymore (talking about LoL).

EVE has been getting more fun with the patch, I'm looking forward to getting into some PvP.

Watching the Skyrim craze has me wanting to fire up Darkfall, but for better or worse they don't let you trial the game more than 1 time - Their loss.

I'll probably end up in ToR, though there's a small chance I get Starcraft or something instead.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by helthros

EVE Online - Usually pair it with League of Legends for a bit of gaming balance, but they have been doing too many radical changes/nerfs to really enjoy playing it anymore (talking about LoL).

EVE has been getting more fun with the patch, I'm looking forward to getting into some PvP.

Watching the Skyrim craze has me wanting to fire up Darkfall, but for better or worse they don't let you trial the game more than 1 time - Their loss.

I'll probably end up in ToR, though there's a small chance I get Starcraft or something instead.

Just make new trial on other pc with new email or do it somewhere else and you can play many times free trial Darkfall.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by forest-nl

Originally posted by helthros

Just make new trial on other pc with new email or do it somewhere else and you can play many times free trial Darkfall.

I've trialed darkfall 2 or 3 times (purchased once), so I know this works.  I even think that I did them on the same computer from the same IP (with different emails).

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

No MMOGs since Ryzom last year.

Unfortunately, I have an issue with my Pc, which refuses to even POST. So will have to spend tomorrow diagnosing the problem, then fixing it.

I plan to play Wurm Online - indie full-sandbox title (charges 5 Euros a month for a Premium - no restrictions - character) which allows players to terraform and build structures, houses, etc out of different materials. Skill-based game where skills are increased from physically doing the actual action e.g. need to feed yourself? Forage, hunt or fish for ingredients, put them in a clay-bowl or saucepan and then place on a fire until served. Except first, you need to find clay to make a pot, then place the pot in a fire to finish it. Start a fire? Use flint with kindling? No kindling? Chop down a tree to make logs (to fuel your fire) and make a little bit of kindling to get the fire going.

Full- range of activities including but not limited to full terra-forming, crafting, animal taming / riding, tree-planting, ship-building and sailing, and of course PvP with FFA loot on PvP servers. Plus, lots of other features.

Choice of servers from 3 Freedom maps (PvE), 3 Wildnerness maps (PvP) and Epic (PvP with all characters starting from 0 skill, with double-speed skill gains - proving very popular).

The official forum is the place to seek info and interact with the smallish community (maybe 900 players ish across all servers / maps).

If I do decide to upgrade my Pc next Spring (after my SE Asia trip). I'll most likely play AoC [Age of Conan]. Or L2. Still need to get back to Baldur's Gate, then play Ultima 7. After that, Planescape Torment et al.

Of course, the never-ending camp of Chinese and Japanese women.

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."