Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The struggles of an SWTOR pre-orderer

ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

So you pre ordered SWTOR, your excitement can barely be contained as the day draws near.  You registered your code and you must wait painfully over the next week to get access.  The 13th passes and you receive no email, the 14th again you are refreshing your inbox every minute but alas there is no email.  If you preordered a physical copy you have the weight of no grace period hanging over your head. 

Finally your email comes, and hopefully you already downloaded the release client.  If not skip ahead 1 day.  You load up the launcher and the play button is enabled and your heartbeat begins to rise.  You load the game and there is only a black screen.  Oops you better update your drivers.  You load the game and the epic cinematic plays, but you are in too much of a hurry to get in game so you skip it. 

You choose your server and are 875 in a queue of 876 and your estimated wait time is 3 hours and 43 minutes.  "Damn", you exclaim as you exhale a sigh.  No one close to you knows what you are going through, and the forums are too bogged down with people who have yet to receive their emails for you to receive any empathy.  You wait patiently or impatiently, but the time passes slowly as the seconds tick away. 

Finally your turn has come, and you meticulously craft your character.  You spend 30-45 minutes finding the perfect name and then you are ready, you finalize your character and away you go.  The game begins to load only to crash to the desktop.  Just kidding that probably didn't happen because you can't be that unlucky.  The game loads and you are standing in the starter area with players running everywhere too busy to speak.  You are slightly overwhelmed.

What do you do now? 

Me?  I dance.

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It's official. People are going absolutely bonkers agonizing over the wait.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

You want to be careful with that dancing.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Originally posted by Icewhite

I will dance with the passion of this beautiful man, and I will keep dancing into the night.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

I put on my shades, light up a smoke, remark on how much monster I have in the fridge, and the distance from where I sit to the nearest bathroom, and hit it.....

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

Lol the first thing i saw when i joined beta was 4 or 5 guys danceing outside the room where you enter so i joined in

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

Well as long as we don't have the urge to Sing & Dance I'll be fine....

Originally posted by Icewhite

Thank you for sharing this.  I have already sent it to about 30 people with Merry Xmas wishes including my fraternity filled manly fantasy football mates.  You are the best!

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Originally posted by Whacko

Well as long as we don't have the urge to Sing & Dance I'll be fine....

Better version ;)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by ProfRed

You are 875 in a queue of 876 and your estimated wait time is 3 hours and 43 minutes.  "Damn", you exclaim as you exhale a sigh.  No one close to you knows what you are going through, and the forums are too bogged down with people who have yet to receive their emails for you to receive any empathy.  You wait patiently or impatiently, but the time passes slowly as the seconds tick away. 

The good news, I suspect, is that the early access is being rolled out the way it is in order to PREVENT that very thing from happening.  With that and the early download, it's clear they're trying to make sure they have the capacity they need before launch.

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103

Originally posted by Robsolf

You are 875 in a queue of 876 and your estimated wait time is 3 hours and 43 minutes.  "Damn", you exclaim as you exhale a sigh.  No one close to you knows what you are going through, and the forums are too bogged down with people who have yet to receive their emails for you to receive any empathy.  You wait patiently or impatiently, but the time passes slowly as the seconds tick away. 

The good news, I suspect, is that the early access is being rolled out the way it is in order to PREVENT that very thing from happening.  With that and the early download, it's clear they're trying to make sure they have the capacity they need before launch.

Yup.  Additionally, the guild creation has allowed Bioware to hand-pick how the population will be spread out.  

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by dubyahite
    It's official. People are going absolutely bonkers agonizing over the wait.

Lol, yeah it's kind of funny reading the forums right now. ANY forums you choose.

I don't remember this much mania since Wrath of the Lich King was about to drop.

• ChaulsinNLChaulsinNL Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by TaoMcDohl

Originally posted by Robsolf

Yup.  Additionally, the guild creation has allowed Bioware to hand-pick how the population will be spread out.  

*Your guild Raving Sith Maniacs has been designated to the "Naboo Duckling" server. We hope you will join us for this great release!*

• VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177

You load the game and the epic cinematic plays, but you are in too much of a hurry to get in game so you skip it.  You choose your server and meticulously craft your character.  You spend 30-45 minutes finding the perfect name and then you are ready, you finalize your character and away you go. 

You are 875 in a queue of 876 and your estimated wait time is 3 hours and 43 minutes.  "Damn", you exclaim as you exhale a sigh.

Going to correct this for you.

Correction Below

You load the game and the epic cinematic plays, but you are in too much of a hurry to get in game so you skip it.  You choose your server You are 875 in a queue of 876 and your estimated wait time is 3 hours and 43 minutes.  "Damn", you exclaim as you exhale a sigh.

You get in after the queue and meticulously craft your character.  You spend 30-45 minutes finding the perfect name and then you are ready, you finalize your character and away you go. 

• TinkerBellCommandoTinkerBellCommando Member UncommonPosts: 25

I was wondering. Since I had played a Beta Weekend. Do I still need to download the pre-download before launch or can I use the download I used for Beta ?  I know Beta is over however I started the program and it has been patching till the latest.  And it doesnt say Beta anywhere.

• ChaulsinNLChaulsinNL Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by GhostRider00

I was wondering. Since I had played a Beta Weekend. Do I still need to download the pre-download before launch or can I use the download I used for Beta ?  I know Beta is over however I started the program and it has been patching till the latest.

Which beta weekend did you play in?

• TinkerBellCommandoTinkerBellCommando Member UncommonPosts: 25

The one before the last one.

Originally posted by GhostRider00

The one before the last one.

It will patch up to the release version.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Yeah but you will have to wait in queue for 3 hours and then create your character.

Originally posted by Vandarix

You load the game and the epic cinematic plays, but you are in too much of a hurry to get in game so you skip it.  You choose your server and meticulously craft your character.  You spend 30-45 minutes finding the perfect name and then you are ready, you finalize your character and away you go. 

You are 875 in a queue of 876 and your estimated wait time is 3 hours and 43 minutes.  "Damn", you exclaim as you exhale a sigh.

Going to correct this for you.

Correction Below

You load the game and the epic cinematic plays, but you are in too much of a hurry to get in game so you skip it.  You choose your server You are 875 in a queue of 876 and your estimated wait time is 3 hours and 43 minutes.  "Damn", you exclaim as you exhale a sigh.

You get in after the queue and meticulously craft your character.  You spend 30-45 minutes finding the perfect name and then you are ready, you finalize your character and away you go. 

Thanks!  I adjusted it.  That was silly of me I was just too excited to post the dance video link. 

• VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177

Quite possibly The best dancer in the world

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

So you pre ordered SWTOR, your excitement can barely be contained as the day draws near.  You registered your code and you must wait painfully over the next week to get access.  The 13th passes and you receive no email, the 14th again you are refreshing your inbox every minute but alas there is no email.  If you preordered a physical copy you have the weight of no grace period hanging over your head. 

Finally your email comes, and hopefully you already downloaded the release client.  If not skip ahead 1 day.  You load up the launcher and the play button is enabled and your heartbeat begins to rise.  You load the game and there is only a black screen.  Oops you better update your drivers.  You load the game and the epic cinematic plays, but you are in too much of a hurry to get in game so you skip it. 

You choose your server and are 875 in a queue of 876 and your estimated wait time is 3 hours and 43 minutes.  "Damn", you exclaim as you exhale a sigh.  No one close to you knows what you are going through, and the forums are too bogged down with people who have yet to receive their emails for you to receive any empathy.  You wait patiently or impatiently, but the time passes slowly as the seconds tick away. 

Finally your turn has come, and you meticulously craft your character.  You spend 30-45 minutes finding the perfect name and then you are ready, you finalize your character and away you go.  The game begins to load only to crash to the desktop.  Just kidding that probably didn't happen because you can't be that unlucky.  The game loads and you are standing in the starter area with players running everywhere too busy to speak.  You are slightly overwhelmed.

What do you do now? 

Me?  I dance.

ROFL!

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.