Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are you bitter Sandbox MMO gamers playing right now?

GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

I'm just wondering because quite frankly I'm beginning to think that since we're all on this hardcore mission on playing a GOOD sandbox MMMO and they aren't any....we're possibly playing something else to fill that void a bit.

I think right now I'm playing a mix between some EVE Online  (only really skilling up right now because I know better not to PvP right now)... League of Legends.... as a good MOBA, Fallen Earth (I'm a huge hardcore post apocalyptic setting fan please give me a good sandbox mmo), and Global Agenda as a decent fps mmo. 

So what are you guys playing?

Old School Gamer - http://www.rsclegacy.com/

Comments

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

UO. I check back on EVE every now and then too. Nothing else worthy of a fee, IMO. Just got Terraria for a friend and we put 20 hours over the past 4 days too. After we burn out on that, I get us Minecraft.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

skyrim and APB

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

From what I can tell, they are playing Themepark Basher Online. Patch 189.4: The Launch of SWTOR, just came out and they are chewing through content at a record pace.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114

Skyrim =

Massive . played by Multiple players, and can download DLC and patchs Online.

and is a sandbox game sooo thats all i need till ether Arche Age comes out or TERA online. ;-)

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by DannyGlover

From what I can tell, they are playing Themepark Basher Online. Patch 189.4: The Launch of SWTOR, just came out and they are chewing through content at a record pace.

don't knock it till you try it brah :P

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

Originally posted by pharazonic

haha I know too well :)

I'm still playing SWG taking lots of pics and vids. Been playing since June 03. Am I a bitter sandboxer? Yeah at times heh.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

I'm still playing SWG taking lots of pics and vids. Been playing since June 03. Am I a bitter sandboxer? Yeah at times heh.

I firmly believe/hope we have not seen the last of SWG. Hopefully, it will come back some day under some incarnation...

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

Eve 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Was playing TOR  for the last few months. On top of that Skyrim (PC) and Fight Night: Champion on PS3.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405
    SWTOR, going to enjoy it for 3 months, if i end up playing more, great, if not, who cares.

I would also like to add that we are not "bitter and jaded sandbox fanatics" because we have some weird disease, it's not our falt, the genre has been basically making the same game for the last 7 years, we are normal.

If YOU have been playing themeparks (and not just themeparks, WOW clone themeparks) for the last 7 years and still want more of it, i have to ask...

Are you out of your freaking mind?

I also find it sad that the mmo market would rather try to lure new players instead of pleasing older ones, remember, it will also happen to you.

And it's not all about money, there are differences, like Portal 2 / The Witcher 2 free DLCs and Bioware 15$ 2 hour long DLCs.

*Gasp*

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Skyrim, Minecraft, Civ V and got my old Mechwarrior titles from the attic to be ready for my game of dreams second half 2012.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Mortal Online right now.. Just finished skyrim a couple weeks ago.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Eve online, perpetuum, fallen earth, vangaurd, terraria and skyrim have been the only games i have played this year for more then a week

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Starcraft 2 and New Vegas mostly. Thinking of popping back into eve when I have funds to spare on another game, and waiting to buy Skyrim for the same reason (no money). =(

I firmly believe/hope we have not seen the last of SWG. Hopefully, it will come back some day under some incarnation...

I just want to see a new mmorpg come out that does what SWG was originally trying to do. I mean ffs even now, in its current frankenstein state, SWG has more unique features and variety of content than TOR and GW2 combined. Can we please, please get another mmo that has dedicated non-combat classes?
    sorry. /endrant

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Was playing Skyrim heavily but I've put it on the backburner until the construction kit releases in January.

Actively playing Fallen Earth, Minecraft, TF2, GTA:SAMP (CrazyBob's server -- so fun with friends), and an occasional (which in Civilization terms, still means a good 6+ hours sunk into a single save) game of Civ 4 with the Rise of Mankind mod applied.

Tomorrow I'm going to get Morrowind out and mod it up and play through that probably until January.

The only MMO I've got on my radar is ArcheAge and maybe The Secret World right now and I'm not even overly excited about either just yet (mostly because ArcheAge is still quite a ways away).  Wish I had another SWG or UO to tide me over for the years I played them but I don't really see another MMO (or game, really) coming along that'll catch me like those two.

edit: Oh, and I recently put all (I think I covered them all) of H.P. Lovecraft's work onto my phone so I can do something besides watch Netflix before I go to bed.  It doesn't always have to be a game to fill that void.

edit2: Also, Terraria!  New update added a lot of cool stuff.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by GeminiStatic
    I'm just wondering because quite frankly I'm beginning to think that since we're all on this hardcore mission on playing a GOOD sandbox MMMO and they aren't any....we're possibly playing something else to fill that void a bit.

I think right now I'm playing a mix between some EVE Online  (only really skilling up right now because I know better not to PvP right now)... League of Legends.... as a good MOBA, Fallen Earth (I'm a huge hardcore post apocalyptic setting fan please give me a good sandbox mmo), and Global Agenda as a decent fps mmo. 

Writing a novel, some table top nWoD Mage, chess to fill the void basically.
    I like LoL too for online gaming, and add to that Battlefield 3 for some good pvp action. Been waiting for the Shadowbane emu to pop up, cuz I think unlike my 2003-2005 self I can deal with the graphics and lack of variety in weapons to have access to the siege system and the stat progression in that game.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

i think you sandbox lovers are sitting home playing some game inside your head that you think is just the easiest thing to make but think nobody has the balls to make it.

amirite?

Originally posted by jerlot65

i think you sandbox lovers are sitting home playing some game inside your head that you think is just the easiest thing to make but think nobody has the balls to make it. 

amirite?

No one said it was 'just the easiest thing to make'. So no, yournotright.

• Daimyo21Daimyo21 Member Posts: 66

People should check out ArcheAge.  Sandpark game.  Best of Sandbox and Themepark features all in one game.  It just started CBT4 yesterday and so far theres a good amount of videos showing the starter areas.

Remember.  If you dont know ArcheAge, read what the content it has before you watch the videos else you might think its another themepark WoW without actually knowing about the game and what its trying to achieve.

If I had to make a brief description about it.

If Ultima Online, Asherons Call:Darktide, Dark Ages of Camelot, WoW and Darkfall were to have a big fucking orgy, theyd come out with ArcheAge.  And Ive played all the game ive listed above minus UO.  If that doesnt catch your attention.  Then you might be into more linear type WoW clone MMOs and thats fine. 

• GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

I really like Minecraft but only played teh lite version on flash is the full version worth it???

Call me crazy but i find Fallen Earth to be captivating. Anyone know of a post apocalyptic mmo sandbox coming or in the process of trying ot be fixed??

I want to try Earthrise... :/

Old School Gamer - http://www.rsclegacy.com/
  • jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Draron

amirite?

No one said it was 'just the easiest thing to make'. So no, yournotright.

Actually alot of people say that.  You hear it on almost every themepark mmo site.  "why can;t they addthis, its easy", "why can't they add that, its easy".

Originally posted by Daimyo21

If Ultima Online, Asherons Call:Darktide, Dark Ages of Camelot, WoW and Darkfall were to have a big fucking orgy, theyd come out with ArcheAge.  And Ive played all the game ive listed above minus UO.  If that doesnt catch your attention.  Then you might be into more linear type WoW clone MMOs and thats fine. 

Where does Asheron's Call and Darkfall come in? If anything, it would be standard themepark + Rift + one continent of Lineage II's castle siege system.

From what I could gather, the game is a themepark to max level that has a class making system similair to Rift as you choose 3 skillsets. And the only thing making it a sandbox is the 3rd continent. One thing people aren't understanding is quested gear is just as good as crafted gear making the crafting situational at best, like most themeparks. That alone is a huge turnoff for me.

Actually alot of people say that.  You hear it on almost every themepark mmo site.  "why can;t they addthis, its easy", "why can't they add that, its easy".

The only people that would say that would be someone who hasn't had experience with sandbox games, as if they've played one they would know how wrong they are. And I've never seen that quote before on this site.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I was still playing Asherons Call up until Skyrims release, still playing Skyrim waiting on SWToR's release.  After that I'll be waiting on TSW and GW2.  Yes I know their both not traditional sandboxes but they are also not traditional themeparks.  I dont play FFA PvP sandboxes even though I love everything else about them.  I may check out darkfall 2.0 when it releases as I did enjoy the first few hours inside the game but hate the mindless ganking.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.