Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The grace period debacle and a question.

For thoes that do not know recently it was stated that there will be no grace period for SWTOR. The information can be found here about half way down the page. http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq#305186

However on 8/7/2011 this was posted By Stephen Reid the Senior online community manager. http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=8064577

This clearly states there WOULD be a grace period. At this point there still is no awnser from Bioware or EA stating why there customers where lied to.

Ontop of that in a later post (apologies I'm having trouble finding it) Reid said he was "Sorry for any misunderstanding" or something to that effect. Basically he said the customers where stupid and didnt know how to read. If you want to see I'm telling the truth read through this thread. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=722366 I'm not sure if its in there directly but I know the link is in there to it somewhere in the 100+ pages.

So I ask you guys because I'm curious what you think. Should a gaming news site such as MMORPG.com cover something like this? Do you want a game website you frequent (in this case MMORPG's) to cover a story about a company lieing to its customers? Do you feel they should wait untill there is either a statment by EA/Bioware or should they report it as it happened?

I personally am going so far as to say EA/Bioware (whichever made the choice to do no grace period) is now just as bad if not worse than funcom. Funcom lied to its customers about the content in the game. EA/Bioware, if they do not fix this in some way and leaves it as is lied to there customers.

Before someone says "boohoo" or anything stupid like that remember that some people based there purchase between digital or physical copy off the information that there WOULD be a grace period. Others purchased the CE and will not be able to play for  up to 9 days (according to shipping dates by amazon ect) after launch after being told they would have time. In alot of cases retailers charged a $5 pre-order fee that the customer would lose if they chose to cancel and order digitally. That in itself is a problem when they are not going to get what they where told they would be.

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I thought this would be fitting reply.

"EA Altered the deal.? Pray they don't alter it any further."

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by xenogias

For thoes that do not know recently it was stated that there will be no grace period for SWTOR. The information can be found here about half way down the page. http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq#305186

However on 8/7/2011 this was posted By Stephen Reid the Senior online community manager. http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=8064577

This clearly states there WOULD be a grace period. At this point there still is no awnser from Bioware or EA stating why there customers where lied to.

Ontop of that in a later post (apologies I'm having trouble finding it) Reid said he was "Sorry for any misunderstanding" or something to that effect. Basically he said the customers where stupid and didnt know how to read. If you want to see I'm telling the truth read through this thread. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=722366 I'm not sure if its in there directly but I know the link is in there to it somewhere in the 100+ pages.

So I ask you guys because I'm curious what you think. Should a gaming news site such as MMORPG.com cover something like this? Do you want a game website you frequent (in this case MMORPG's) to cover a story about a company lieing to its customers? Do you feel they should wait untill there is either a statment by EA/Bioware or should they report it as it happened?

I personally am going so far as to say EA/Bioware (whichever made the choice to do no grace period) is now just as bad if not worse than funcom. Funcom lied to its customers about the content in the game. EA/Bioware, if they do not fix this in some way and leaves it as is lied to there customers.

Before someone says "boohoo" or anything stupid like that remember that some people based there purchase between digital or physical copy off the information that there WOULD be a grace period. Others purchased the CE and will not be able to play for  up to 9 days (according to shipping dates by amazon ect) after launch after being told they would have time. In alot of cases retailers charged a $5 pre-order fee that the customer would lose if they chose to cancel and order digitally. That in itself is a problem when they are not going to get what they where told they would be.

Actualy Ried already apologized for making the previous statement.  Also theonly thing people are crying about is they think they will not get their box copies in time which is nonsense.

Come the 20th, 99.99% of the complainers will stop because they will be too busy {mod edit} playing SWTOR.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I would definitely much rather read this than any other "Oh look I was payed to promote another game" .

As for losing $5 via gamestop being dicks like always, sometimes you can request and use the CE/Beta keys on the account you made, and then later down the line, when the price of the game drops, activate a retail copy on that same account and have all the bonuses of those perks. It's what happened to me with Warhammer. Thankfully my Hard drive died on me, and I saved $70.00 because of its uncanny timing.

To those affected by this situation, try to make the best of it... BY GETTING DEM POST COUNTS UP!

Originally posted by moosecatlol

I would definitely much rather read this than any other "Oh look I was payed to promote another game" .

As for losing $5 via gamestop being dicks like always, sometimes you can request and use the CE/Beta keys on the account you made, and then later down the line, when the price of the game drops, activate a retail copy on that same account and have all the bonuses of those perks. It's what happened to me with Warhammer. Thankfully my Hard drive died on me, and I saved $70.00 because of its uncanny timing.

To those affected by this situation, try to make the best of it... BY GETTING DEM POST COUNTS UP!

"affected" I lol'ed.  who has been affected?  Its not even the 20th yet and people are complaining about not getting in.  Its pathetic.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by xenogias

Show me an MMO company that hasnt lied to their playerbase?

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Erm, I am not familiar with the term. Whats a "grace period"??

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Teala

For the love of... how do I +rep you. XD !!!

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Teala

Pure Win.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405
    Maybe im a bad person... but seeing all those forum users with "CE VIP" and an "im better than you" attitude crying is kinda funny.

Hope Bioware manages to fix this.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Elikal

When the early access is over on launch day everyone will have to enter their game code they got with the actual game. The grace period is a day or two people could play after launch while they wait for their copy to arrive. There isn't one.

Oh. Ok. This is just about 2 days? Hm... a bit stingy of EA. But I don't see it as such a big issue either.

Originally posted by spaceport

Maybe im a bad person... but seeing all those forum users with "CE VIP" and an "im better than you" attitude crying is kinda funny.

Hope Bioware manages to fix this.

Oh yes! I mean, I too ordered the CE, but I would never shove that into anyone's face like this. It is just rude. Enjoy what you have and be modest about it. No need to aggravte people.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

When the early access is over on launch day everyone will have to enter their game code they got with the actual game. The grace period is a day or two people could play after launch while they wait for their copy to arrive. There isn't one.

Oh. Ok. This is just about 2 days? Hm... a bit stingy of EA. But I don't see it as such a big issue either.

Imagine if you played the game for 7 days during the early game acces, and then had to wait 1-2-3-4 weeks before your box arrives.

Yeah... ouch.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

Imagine if you played the game for 7 days during the early game acces, and then had to wait 1-2-3-4 weeks before your box arrives.

Yeah... ouch.

Weeks? Ok weeks would be bad but does it really take that long? I never experienced that.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Weeks? Ok weeks would be bad but does it really take that long? I never experienced that.

I wouldn't be surprised if it will take that long for a minority who order from Amazon as their delivery has went downhill over the past year. I'm still waiting for 2 out of 3 items to be delivered that were ordered nearly 2 weeks ago by their Prime next day delivery. Even discounting that, its christmas and i don't know about other countries but here in the UK Royal Mail are abysmal at this time of year.

Glad mine is just the normal copy, if it looks like itll be late i'll just grab one from a shop. Wouldn't like to do that if i'd shelled out the £130 for the CE though.

Yeah... ouch.

It shouldn't. I think the bigger gripe here is, this *seems* to have been a passive/aggressive way for EA to punish those of us who chose NOT to use their Origin Digital Download service and choose to either order it online from Amazon or buy it from a brick and mortar store.

I ordered from Amazon.com and initially selected whatever delivery was free. I would've gotten in 7-9 days after release. However, through some wierd twist of fate (or blessing of the Force :) ) I not only was able to switch my delivery option to 'Release Day Delivery', I was able to actually save about $5 doing it. Still not sure how that worked out.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Whats the big deal?  That you dont have digital download privledges or dont have a box?

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Whats the big deal?  That you dont have digital download privledges or dont have a box?

By pre-ordering, you get in on the 15th. That goes away on the 19th. If you bought a physical copy and it's NOT there by the 20th, you're not playing. You have to wait for the physical copy to show up to put your gamecode in to your account. They're not going to put in a grace period as a courtesy. 

I get it, I do. They'd prefer you use Origin. I think, though, that if they had spelled that out (and to be fair, maybe we should've realized) most of us would've gone ahead and chosen to get it thru Origin.

The box. See the box has the code in it and without it you can't play. Everyone can download it right now if they have a preorder code. But after the 19th they can't play without a new code. If you bought the digital download they'll E-mail you the new code.

The other thing is, from the very beginning EA is setting a VERY bad precedent. Even those people who chose the digital download option and aren't affected are paying attention to this and wondering when EA is going to pull some shenanigan and screw THEM.

Originally posted by cahenderson

By pre-ordering, you get in on the 15th. That goes away on the 19th. If you bought a physical copy and it's NOT there by the 20th, you're not playing. You have to wait for the physical copy to show up to put your gamecode in to your account. They're not going to put in a grace period as a courtesy. 

I get it, I do. They'd prefer you use Origin. I think, though, that if they had spelled that out (and to be fair, maybe we should've realized) most of us would've gone ahead and chosen to get it thru Origin.

/facepalm

Originally posted by cahenderson

The box. See the box has the code in it and without it you can't play. Everyone can download it right now if they have a preorder code. But after the 19th they can't play without a new code. If you bought the digital download they'll E-mail you the new code.

The other thing is, from the very beginning EA is setting a VERY bad precedent. Even those people who chose the digital download option and aren't affected are paying attention to this and wondering when EA is going to pull some shenanigan and screw THEM.

Lol tell me about it... i had to use a freaking proxy and a fake street adress to buy the game from Origin.

What the hell man, why do you hate my money EA, lol

otacu

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Digital pre ordered.  Game code already entered.  Sub already active.   Already have my jugs ready to fill up with delicious CE tears on the 19th.

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

I'm among the affected ones.

Why?

Because I ordered from Amazon.

Now, here is the catch. I live in Costa Rica.

The only way we get internet stuff delivered here is through a third party company that recieves the packages in USA and then, sends them by plane to Costa Rica.

So! Let's supposed that by Dec 20th, every single box will reach it's destination in the US.

But the 20th is a tuesday. They will ship packages to Costa Rica only on Mon, Wed and Fry. Now, by this time of the year, it would take a miracle for my package to be sent to Costa Rica the next day it arrieves, because they have such a stupid ammount of incoming packages, that most likely, it will ship to Costa Rica on monday  the 26th.

By the time the plane gets here, customs will most likely be closed. So, now Tuesday 27th will be the day they start proccessing the packages. Do I get the game on Tuesday the 27th? NOOOOOOO!!!! Because they now have to move all the packages to their main storage, where the shipping company has to sort out the hundres of packages they have just recieved.

So, with another giant miracle, they will deliver my box on friday the 30th.... ASSUMING they will work new year's eve...

So, you see where I'm getting?

That 10 day grace period was just the fair thing to do.

Now, i'm just F*CKED image

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

It's seven days now for the early start. So at least if you used your pre-order code and ordered early you can get a full week headstart.  Which company is saying they may be received on or by the 20th?  I understand if it's out of the country by otherwise..

Originally posted by BarCrow

It's seven days now for the early start. So at least if you used your pre-order code and ordered early you can get a full week headstart.  Which company is saying they may be received on or by the 20th?  I understand if it's out of the country by otherwise..

I'm getting mine from Amazon too. Intially, it said the 28th or 29th. I was able to change my delivery option to 'Release Day Delivery'. Now, that's all well and good. We'll see if it actually shows up on the 20th.

Upping it to 7 days of Early Access only whets my appetite more and makes any embargo on playing all the more painful :)

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Now if only they had a way to confirm box order purchases for those who didn't use origin... fuck it, sounds like work.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

There are only one or two games per year, that I collect and buy a hard copy (CE or normal box). Otherwise I'll just go with the digital download. If the box get's delayed by couple days, does it really matter that much?

I'm just guessing EA and Bioware want to get rid of the free loafers as quickly as possible. ( The one's who always pre-order to get the code, then cancel but stick around for the early access and perhaps the grace period - until they run out of time) I'm okay with that honestly. It just means a lot less aholes logging in game, just to run their mouth and spam the chat with their useless crap.