Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift should get mmorpg of the year award

124»

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by alexmino

Originally posted by Watface

Rift has lost most of its original subscriber base

Having to release "new" content and heavily discounting your product is not a "success" story.     

On the one hand you have released a game without enough content to keep the original player base playing for more than a month and on the other you are discounting your product so soon after release to attact less afluent players, pushing your product further around the product lifecycle,  away from profitability and towards decline.

What he said.

So many mmos have failed that the definition of success has dropped off a cliff.

I dont think 'lack of content' is a huge reason why people left.  If it was people wouldnt still be leaving now, would they?

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by alexmino

Originally posted by Watface

Rift has lost most of its original subscriber base

Having to release "new" content and heavily discounting your product is not a "success" story.     

On the one hand you have released a game without enough content to keep the original player base playing for more than a month and on the other you are discounting your product so soon after release to attact less afluent players, pushing your product further around the product lifecycle,  away from profitability and towards decline.

What he said.

So many mmos have failed that the definition of success has dropped off a cliff.

I dont think 'lack of content' is a huge reason why people left.  If it was people wouldnt still be leaving now, would they?

You just applied logic to a comment that said "having to release content and go on sale is not a success story

• ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98

I voted yes only because it was pretty much the only mmo released this year. I don't count AION. They released the game and really did'nt do a good job of telling anyone that they were gonna release.

RIFT had an awsome beta. Good launch..and from there the wheels have been falling off. I loved RIFT at start but when I hit end game it was raid..raid .. raid. PvP ??? why. There is no reward other than gear. And this is my biggest problem with the game. It has built itself around gear-grinding. I like gear but other than that what is there ? Crafting ? Bah. Spend countless time harvesting to make crap that no one wants.

RIFT gets mmo of the year. Enjoy the award...probably last one it will get.

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I played Rift for four months.

Overall it was an enjoyable experience.

Ultimately nerfs to certain mechanics (not callings) drove me to unsubscribe.

I played SWTOR for four days, I've already cancelled my account, got a refund on my pre-order and uninstalled the game.

Other than voice overs on generic quest NPCs SWTOR has no redeeming qualities.

This was a sad year for mmorpgs but if I had to choose i would pick RIFT as goty.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

Out of the three new MMOs I've played this year (DCUO, then Rift and finally SWTOR), I think Rift was the most dull of them all. At least SWTOR devs bothered to give WoW 2.0 a new paint job.

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

Played Warhammer....ugh... I mean Rift in the open beta.  Didn't even complete 5 quests before I uninstalled the game.  This was the shortest time I have ever tried an mmo.  In the beginning levels or the first 30 minutes this game was a 100% copy of Warhammer, down to the 1st quest hub location and type of quests.  No thanks. 

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

INDEED it should.

It´s the best MMO of the year so far (swtor is no out yet and it would be too early to count anyway)

And TRION the best company out there so far.

Never seen a company work so hard and so good to deliver as they are doing!

Some ppl accused RIFT of beeing a "wow-clone" but that´s not true.

Rift is offering a very unique dinamic gameplay.

KUDOS for Rift & TRION!

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by MMOExposed

My opinion, Rift set forth a new standard thatbwas once held by Blizzard, for releasing polished contents. Also Rifts, calling system, and Events, are truly next gen. Trion Worlds has shown that they try hard to support their player base by giving them lots of major features on a monthly bases. The zone invasions were epic. Especially the event on Ember Island. What's your opinion for MMO of the Year?

I agree.  Rift will definitely be Free 2 Play in the next year.  Oh, er, wait, what was the question? ^^

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Rift is the Massive Multiplayer Online Game of the year.

Though... if there are 4 Player Co-ops allowed, I´d suggest Dungeon Defenders.

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

RIFT might have the benefit of time as in the perfect storm WOW had on release, remember wow wasn't perfect at first itself, but if TOR is a horrible disaster and GW2 does meh on the market, then you have the only polised product out there besides WOW that is more pvp and theory craft friendly than WOW, sort of like WOW for people who have thoughts.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by ghettobooste

Originally posted by Nethermancer

I like Trion. I just wish they would make a game with even a single ounce of innovation...........why do all the innovative companies have to be so horrible? 

o and ofcoarse it shoudl get game of the year.....this was  the worst years in MMO gaming since........last year

What do you think was the best year for MMOs?

2003 hands down. SWG and EVE were released. The year MMO gaming grabbed me for what i thought was forever....but the down fall has been bad.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• kay226kay226 Member Posts: 17

Rift is just a novelty act.

Rifts and invasions get old very fast, and the game oozes mediocrity and uninspired design.

Acute lack of content, cookie-cutter quests and miserable crafting are just some of its problems.

The fact there were no notable new mmos coming out and it's strong WoW "inspirations" made Rift fairly popular this summer but now its going down where it belongs.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Rift is failing and has been pretty much since 30 days after it's release.

• DogPeeOnTreeDogPeeOnTree Member Posts: 92

When they go f2p,than they will get this f2p game of the year but for now i doubt that.

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

This thread is one of the dumbest things I've ever saw in relation to MMO.

It's the "melee hunter" of forum posts.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Rift set forth a new standard thatbwas once held by Blizzard
    I stopped reading at this point. Besides, wasn't Rift the only major MMO released in 2011? In any case, such a mediocre game simply doesn't deserve GOTY.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Wasn't it like the only game that launched this year?   Was an extremely weak year for MMOs.

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143

Rift is a great game, with very good gameplay, wide options for character skills and great graphics.

Something that strikes me when I play Rift as oppossed to many other MMO games is the love TW has for their game evident in their attention to detail. Their game designer and graphic artists should be proud of their work and the decisions thay have made.

• LafinatuLafinatu Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by TopperH444

I voted yes only because it was pretty much the only mmo released this year. I don't count AION. They released the game and really did'nt do a good job of telling anyone that they were gonna release.

RIFT had an awsome beta. Good launch..and from there the wheels have been falling off. I loved RIFT at start but when I hit end game it was raid..raid .. raid. PvP ??? why. There is no reward other than gear. And this is my biggest problem with the game. It has built itself around gear-grinding. I like gear but other than that what is there ? Crafting ? Bah. Spend countless time harvesting to make crap that no one wants.

RIFT gets mmo of the year. Enjoy the award...probably last one it will get.

Aion came out in 2009 buddy. If your talking about 2.5, well that was just a patch. So, I would think that not only you but everyone woudn't count Aion.

High Five FTW!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by wowfan1996

Rift set forth a new standard thatbwas once held by Blizzard

I stopped reading at this point. Besides, wasn't Rift the only major MMO released in 2011? In any case, such a mediocre game simply doesn't deserve GOTY.

Doesn't matter what the quality is, a GOTY is just that. Game that was the best in that category/platform for that year.

And RIFT was a very polished solid themepark MMO.

Also, the post is factually wrong.

DCUO was a larger MMO than RIFT just on IP alone. Heck, it was developed / marketed way more in terms of $$$.

Just shows that a good polished product can/will suceed.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Rift GOTY for MMOs?

I don't think it'd rank even in the top 3 honestly. Put it just ahead where ever Perfect World International is and I'd be happy with that. Because that's about as good as it deserves.

Not saying it's a bad game, but it is bland.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

If SWTOR wasn't releasing during the last month of the year, then Rift would probably be my first choice.  Rift was polished on release but suffered from a severe lack of content.  Sure, they've been working hard to fix that, but it's a problem they shouldn't have had in the first place.

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

I actually just tried to reinstall and patch, thinking of subscribing.

They can't even keep their login/patch stable why THE FLYING-DRAENEI-FUCK SHOULD I, OR ANYONE GIVE THEM MONEY?!

Even those chucklefuck's over at $0E manage to at least keep their patcher/login working.