Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift should get mmorpg of the year award

Comments

• bosmer24bosmer24 Member UncommonPosts: 116

No.It didn't introduce anything new or didn't try really anything different.You were still stuck in 3 archtypes,tank,dps and caster.It would of been somewhat innovative if they let you assign skill points to all branches.EQ2 already did a way better job with their alternative advancement,where you could get more then one point per level.

Sure don't get me wrong it was polished and was fun for the first month,then its charm faded.It got to the point where i had to force myself to log in to play it.I am glad they tried something slightly different,but to me,it wasn't different enough.

• RandyERandyE Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by Dranny

Originally posted by Tombill

I would vote for it because it proved these kind of Wow like games are dead in 6 months time.

I would call a game with a zero price tag and losing 90% of its players with just ONE server on high and halved server park, all on low pop .... a tremendous publicity for the mmo field. realy OP.

When did you last check on the servers .?

http://www.riftstatus.com/

for comparison:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/status

I've gone to be very distrustful of Blizzard Data. Really most data supplied by these MMO's. They're skewed in such a way as to make them look really good. I remember Rift said Medium for the first 2 months....but a /who would show you < 100 TOTAL players at that given time.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

DCUO was more fun,  where rifts were kind of neat they were so unenspiringly implemented

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

It depends if they are going to count SWTOR in that as well. Since SWTOR releases this year as well, any poll would naturally have to include that game as well. But I would bet there will be sites that rate it GOTY based on the games before it this year, not after. Pretty sure they'll claim two weeks isn't enough time to evaluate a game, even though that's not really true because those people rating still played the beta.

With as many people who have tried the beta of ToR and given feedback through the industry, it's clear that many more people will play and enjoy ToR longer than Rift because ToR has more things in it than Rift had at launch.

You counting "smoothest launch ever" only goes so far. It's NINE months later now and about time people stopped hanging a hat on that one. It's no longer relevant; it's what happens after and how many people stay on.

Even Warhammer won GOTY from various sites like MMORPG.com and it's .. well you see how it is. This "award" means nothing at the end of the day because ultimately it's about subs and Rift's still losing them.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by RandyE

I've gone to be very distrustful of Blizzard Data. Really most data supplied by these MMO's. They're skewed in such a way as to make them look really good. I remember Rift said Medium for the first 2 months....but a /who would show you < 100 TOTAL players at that given time.

Rift's definition of medium at launch was 200.  now its 400.  Their cutoff is 400/1400/2000 for med/high/full.

Not sure what WoW's cutoffs are at.  Pretty sure 2500 is full for them though

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

Did anyone check peak time rather than the morning when most players maybe at work school etc.etc.

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

i voted no. but it just might get mmorpg of the year only because theres nothing else out there. what other games are they up agenst anyway.

Did anyone check peak time rather than the morning when most players maybe at work school etc.etc.

What for? Even that isn't any good.

How about checking for the last month how the servers are?

riftstatus.net NA servers

If you do that, you'll see that the graph of the last 30 days shows exactly what the other guy's chart says.. most of the servers spend a crapton of time in the "LOW" range over time. The EU servers are worse.

EU servers

• RandyERandyE Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by RandyE

Rift's definition of medium at launch was 200.  now its 400.  Their cutoff is 400/1400/2000 for med/high/full.

Not sure what WoW's cutoffs are at.  Pretty sure 2500 is full for them though

I think that's the cut off as well. It would benefit a company to have their medum low ball cutoff to be quite low and have their high end cutoff/ high's low end pretty high.

Basically, Rift deserves the title b/c it's the only thing that came out really, but, it's still a sub-par game.

I only bought it b/c they called Blizzard out with the whole "you're not in Azeroth anymore" thing they did. I thought it was ballsy. And figured I'd go ahead and support them.

But I agree with an earlier poster, with all of the patches they've done where really they're just messing with class balance I think it as a combination of poor planning and inexperience. If they would have just left our characters alone things would have been fine, but they didnt' want to do that. And they have patched quite a bit since what was it? March?

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Err ... WoW can only support 2,500 people on a server, and RIFT even only 2,000 ? Whow. Thats not exactly an ambundance.

I thought 10,000 and more would be normal for MMOs.

• Dave3216Dave3216 Member Posts: 133

As much as i enjoyed rift i think the poor end game that caused the majority of quitters, is too big a issue to give rift MMO of the year.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by popinjay

What for? Even that isn't any good.

How about checking for the last month how the servers are?

riftstatus.net NA servers

If you do that, you'll see that the graph of the last 30 days shows exactly what the other guy's chart says.. most of the servers spend a crapton of time in the "LOW" range over time. The EU servers are worse.

EU servers

Cheers

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

The only thing remotely next gen about RIFT was it's class/soul/role system. There is nothing dynamic about the events or the rifts. 

I agree that RIFT certainly needs more credit, but calling it a next-gen MMO is truly stretching things. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

Originally posted by pharazonic
    The only thing remotely next gen about RIFT was it's class/soul/role system.

Nope. Not even that.

Even FFXI and Runes of Magic had that covered for the most part. Rift made some nice changes but the systems in games much older than Rift were just as good.

Next generation (to me) means something in a game that everyone will start doing. I do not see every other new mmo in the future doing this soul stuff like Rift did. It's purely a gimmick because even though they claim "hundreds of combinations" or whatever, only a few are ever viable for roles people will play. This is no different than FFXI/RoM where you could also make any combos you wanted but only so many were viable.

Here.. look at this list of games coming out within the next several years:

The Secret World

Firefall

Guild Wars 2

Planetside 2

ArcheAge

WildStar

Dominus (Prime)

Warhammer 40K

World of Darkness

Dust 514

TERA

Tribes

Marvel Online

Blade and Soul

How many of those games are employing "multiple soul/job" mechanics for character development? Afaik, only the one in yellow. Everyone else is the same mostly from what we've seen.

So if Rift is the "next generation".. where's that generation at? Doesn't exist.. it's a gimmick and companies know it. Rift claimed it was going to "Change the genre the day it ships".

Sorry, but I just don't see many companies on that list going "Man, we've GOT to get multiple souls for people, that's what they want!" because most people don't really want that. Most people LIKE the cookie cut builds, they don't want to try and figure what's the best combo out of hundreds to squeeze out .0001% more DPS or heals. They just want to play, not spend all day on a practice dummy in a yard of the town.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Next gen means something people will copy...hey sort of like Master Modes in WoW in Panda......or hey those dynamic scaling events GW2 is doing...oh wait GW2 is like a year from release

hmmmz instant adventure...I can think of a game set in a galaxu far far away with no reason at all to return to planets that might benefit from this...Isn't Murder Ball being copied from Black garden in WoW!!

Hey didn't WoW literally just copy the ability of the person first in the x-server LFG queue to be put back in first if another person declines....I wonder what game had that first, but hey details smetails right!?!?

Those Deathwing tentacles sureeee do look familair to a certain squid boss in Hammerknell.

hmmmz AOE loot in TOR....wonder where they got the idea for that!?!?!?!?!?!?

YES OBVIOUSLY NOONE is copying any of Rifts features.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Puremallace

Next gen means something people will copy...hey sort of like Master Modes in WoW in Panda......or hey those dynamic scaling events GW2 is doing...oh wait GW2 is like a year from release

hmmmz instant adventure...I can think of a game set in a galaxu far far away with no reason at all to return to planets that might benefit from this...Isn't Murder Ball being copied from Black garden in WoW!!

Hey didn't WoW literally just copy the ability of the person first in the x-server LFG queue to be put back in first if another person declines....I wonder what game had that first, but hey details smetails right!?!?

Those Deathwing tentacles sureeee do look familair to a certain squid boss in Hammerknell.

Are you serious?  Do you know how many years GW2 has been in development.  And you actually think their dynamic events are being copied from Rift's rifts? 

And you actually think that WoW is copying ANYTHING from their LFG function when they were the ones who created it?  

Or that Deathwing's actual appearance was copied from a Rift raid boss?  

And you are lauding Instant Adventure as anything other than the single-worst idea in the history of MMOs?  

Simply incredible.  

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I dont agree. Being polished is not enough to get best game of the year award and the only truly unique it has are Rifts which are basically just WARs Public Quests which spawn random mob spawns. A novelty which gets old quick.

Dont get me wrong, the game is a solid one but the only reason for it getting best MMORPG of the year award would be if there are no other games which are good and I would say that even SW:TOR is better than Rift.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

They should win the award for the worst macro system ever implemented in an online game.

Originally posted by Yamota

I dont agree. Being polished is not enough to get best game of the year award and the only truly unique it has are Rifts which are basically just WARs Public Quests which spawn random mob spawns. A novelty which gets old quick.

Dont get me wrong, the game is a solid one but the only reason for it getting best MMORPG of the year award would be if there are no other games which are good and I would say that even SW:TOR is better than Rift.

I thought the Rifts were much better than the PQs.

But what I really wanted to say is...

That is the most awesome Sig Pic ever!

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Are you serious?  Do you know how many years GW2 has been in development.  And you actually think their dynamic events are being copied from Rift's rifts? 

And you actually think that WoW is copying ANYTHING from their LFG function when they were the ones who created it?  

Or that Deathwing's actual appearance was copied from a Rift raid boss?  

And you are lauding Instant Adventure as anything other than the single-worst idea in the history of MMOs?  

Simply incredible.  

First to the party! Sorry GW2 is now copying Rift. Go tell ArenaNET to live up to their expected release date then if they want credit. YES WoW copied from Rift. You mean to tell me mysteriously TWO YEARS after they put x-server LFG in they magically just now happen to fix that after Rift shows it can be done?

How about the mysterious change from? It is too time consuming and technologically not possible to itemize 5man content for more casual mode to "one of our big features in MoP is new hard modes of 5mans"? COME ON MANNNNNN!!!

Instant Adventures is where it is going man. It is the perfect solution to the "I want it now" mmo generation. Watch and see if it is does not get copied.

Originally posted by ghettobooste

They should win the award for the worst macro system ever implemented in an online game.

That award goes to TOR for not even trying to put one in the game, but hey double standards and mmo hypocrisy. Rift has to launch with it, but TOR is just fine without it.

Actually, he claimed the soul systems were "next gen", not the Instant Adventures. Besides, you just agree with what I said about "next gen"'s definition, but failed to discuss any of the games FOLLOWING Rift and how Rift's "next gen" stuff is changing their games. And you're talking about WoW stealing a mechanic? They steal from EVERYONE, lol! And Rift stole from them first to even make their bloody game so pfft..

I didn't know there was AoE loot in ToR, must be something you have to activate because I looted every mob I killed solo. I'll check that out when I go back next week. But as far as loot selling, Rift can't touch ToR, lol.

Next time you talk to Jarvis (once every TWO hours), tell him you are going to send your purple tiger pet next time to sell all your loot because you'll be to busy PLAYING THE GAME to be be bothered warping back to town or summoning a vendor who sells water just so he can take it. He might be taken aback if he saw a striped purple tiger trying to sell him boar teeth. Even if you could do that, the pet pathing in Rift was so bad I doubt your pet could find his way back from the city to relocate you. ToR, this is all on lockdown already, Pure. Hit a button, companion goes off, you stay and fight. 60 seconds later your companion comes back with your money and starts fighting. THAT is something other games will want; that's next gen even if Bioware is too modest to claim that like Trion.

And honestly, I was reading someone I respect as a gamer's opinion on the Rift forums from my time there and he had to say this about IA:

I dunno, there was a definite sense of adventure and some enjoyment.

But, we have just gotten to Ember Isle after 8 months or w/e of being sick to the teeth of facerolling SS/SM.

The thing is, 20 people doing a one man job in the same old places you've been doing it for 8 months without those other 19 people. It's just the first person to the area gathers everything up and AoE them down while the other 19 run in that direction then stop, turn, and run in the other direction. I'm just not seeing the point tbh.

Btw; the yellow was the MAIN reason I left Rift in the first place. Tank run in, hit AoE taunt. DPS start AoE nuke. Healer start AOE heals. Rinse repeat for whole dungeon/raid/IA/invasion/PvP.. like NO challenging skill needed to play it, just need No Doze pills.

Originally posted by ghettobooste

That award goes to TOR for not even trying to put one in the game, but hey double standards and mmo hypocrisy. Rift has to launch with it, but TOR is just fine without it.

Better to not have a macro system than one that completely takes out all skill from the game.

Rift.. the game where reactive spells are not reactive. Or also known as 111111111111111.... 2

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Having no macro system > Having a macro system that binds all your attacks to one button.  But Rift has always been about ease of gameplay.  I mean, heck, you don't even have to move from your spot to pick up quests anymore.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

We dont even have a discussion, everyone here already know it, that award goes for swtor, anyone have any doubt about that?. Rift is a good game, but thats all. Dynamics events are just an improved version of warhammer pqs, the pvp, well there is not pvp in rift, after 40 min waiting in a queue with a ¨cross shard¨ system i just quit, and im still waiting for the rvr that trion promised, the only good thing was the souls system and still, the system have a lot of problems in pvp.  

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I think Trion deserves credit for what they pulled off. Rift however.......not so much.

My 2 cents.