Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that SWTOR NDA dropped, do you believe SWG should return?

Comments

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Dranny

Originally posted by Blazer6992

It should have been killed when the NGE came out and they lost 75% of the subscribers. I wouldn't mind seeing a SWG2.

TBH by the time NGE came they didnt have too many subs left as they had mostly left when the CU ruined the game.

That's not entirely true.  A combination of WoW and CU, may have cost somewhere between 50-60k subs - but NGE basically ate 100-150k subs.  CU had mixed reviews.  NGE got Smedley to say he was wrong.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I liked SWG, I didn't play it till later, as I prefer D&D type fantasy mmos, but I worked with a guy that played and we weren't playing anything so started.  It only lasted a little while, before the CU/NGE hit.  I was playing a lot, and harvesting raw materials to be able to craft stuff for the guild I was in.  The CU/NGE screwed up all my materials, and work I did, it also took the crafting meds stuff away from the profession my wife played and she lost a bunch of work she was doing...So she stopped playing and I did soon after also.         

I think SWG was a good game, but it had its flaws, it needed some balancing, the buffs needed way toned down, and it needed lots of content already in game fixed or made to work.  Housing needed to go away, when people stopped playing, instead of leaving ghost towns, and more content needed to be brought out, that fit the games design.

Sony was very slow to do these things, and not give it enough money/help, then they were forced imo by Lucas to redesign the game, as I have never seen a company redo a game like they did.  If they would of put more resources into it, and maybe not thought its Star Wars and it will do well due to the IP, we don't need to put as much work into it?  I didn't play long enough to know this for sure, but it seemed that they hold plenty of blame for not being more proactive and making sure to keep the player base healthy, with stuff to do.

So if they brought it back out, and fixed the problems, I would be eager to play again...I loathed the Wookie world thing, as I dislike instancing and it was horrible for the games design imo.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by jpnz

Even if Sony re-negotiates with LA and gets the Star Wars rights, SWG just didn't have the numbers for it.

It was a unique MMO at the time, but the market ignored it.

Its not that the market ignored SW:G....it is that Star Wars and SW:G are Niche.

If you are not a Star Wars Fan...you probably wouldn't try Galaxies or even ToR.

I consider myself to be a Star Trek Fan First and foremost.  But I also am a Star Wars fan...so I tried SWG when it came out.

EA has control over TOR and Bioware......and EA has No Compete clauses in 90% of their PC and Console Games.  SW:G was doomed as soom as EA aquired Bioware.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Not much reason for SWG to return.  It wouldnt make anyone $$, barely anyone played it...

What needs to happen is someone needs to leak the pre-CU sourcecode and/or server code to the pre-CU SWG community, which is still surprisingly strong for an 8 year old game.  That would be amazing.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Sony claimed that SWTOR would be the reason for their end to SWG's plug being pulled. But maybe it was a poor decision, or a well thought out decision.

whats your opinion?

SOE never claimed that.

SWG is dead as of December 15th.

SWG was such a waste of time, Smedley didn't even TRY to renew his license with LA (links available in multiple other threads on this topic by me).

SOE doesn't want SWG.

SOE hasn't invested the time/staff into SWG over 8+ years - there are bugs in the game from when it LAUNCHED! Don't blame LA for SOE's failure.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by TUX426

Sony claimed that SWTOR would be the reason for their end to SWG's plug being pulled. But maybe it was a poor decision, or a well thought out decision.

whats your opinion?

SOE never claimed that.

SWG was such a waste of time, Smedley didn't even TRY to renew his license with LA (links available in multiple other threads on this topic by me).

SOE doesn't want SWG.

SOE hasn't invested the time/staff into SWG over 8+ years - there are bugs in the game from when it LAUNCHED! Don't blame LA for SOE's failure.

That is not true, as SOE constantly worked on the game, and kept patching it every other week with a new update. If they did not want SWG, they would have ignored it like Vanguard, epseciallly now with it being announced to close. They have nothing to lose by pulling staff from SWG to work on their other games, and doing nothing, but yet they are still tinkering with it on Atmospheric Flight, Air to Ground stuff

SOE wanted SWG, they just did not want to work with LA. LA are way to over protective towards their IP, and is proven by their successful attempt to shut down a viewing of a free movie marathon and a failed attempt to stop a prop designer from creating stormtrooper helmets, and no doubt have that same attitude with SOE.

LA are so pompous they will now no longer out source to 3rd parties, and Bioware with SWTOR is the last. When SWTOR closes, they will no longer deal with Bioware, and there will not be a single player KOTOR game now either, unless they change their policies again.

All the restrictions and limitations of SWG seemed to be set by LA not SOE

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Let SWG rest.  It deserves it.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Dynamic1325Dynamic1325 Member UncommonPosts: 70

What does the nda lifting on swtor have to do with swg???

Did I miss something?

I liken the title to: Now that I have a pair of shoes, I can eat a banana.

Originally posted by Dynamic1325

Did I miss something?

SWTOR is not as good as the hype / SWG, and with NDA in place no one was allowed to reveal that truth

• Dynamic1325Dynamic1325 Member UncommonPosts: 70

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by Dynamic1325

Did I miss something?

SWTOR is not as good as the hype / SWG, and with NDA in place no one was allowed to reveal that truth

Neat! - Sounds like a discussion I want nothing a part of.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

whats your opinion?

SOE never claimed that.

SOE doesn't want SWG.

That is not true, as SOE constantly worked on the game, and kept patching it every other week with a new update. If they did not want SWG, they would have ignored it like Vanguard, epseciallly now with it being announced to close. They have nothing to lose by pulling staff from SWG to work on their other games, and doing nothing, but yet they are still tinkering with it on Atmospheric Flight, Air to Ground stuff

SOE wanted SWG, they just did not want to work with LA. LA are way to over protective towards their IP, and is proven by their successful attempt to shut down a viewing of a free movie marathon and a failed attempt to stop a prop designer from creating stormtrooper helmets, and no doubt have that same attitude with SOE.

LA are so pompous they will now no longer out source to 3rd parties, and Bioware with SWTOR is the last. When SWTOR closes, they will no longer deal with Bioware, and there will not be a single player KOTOR game now either, unless they change their policies again.

If this is FACT, provide a LINK! I know you won't because you CAN'T provide one. Everything you're stating is your OPINION or worse, lies. You have no source, you provide nothing but blatant slander against LA for SOE's failures and your only example has absolutely NOTHING to do with SOE - it was a guy selling replica helmets, something LA already does - of course they should shut him down. He has no right to profit off Star Wars without licensing.

Your atmospheric flight has been in game since JTL - SOE never released it because THEY didn't want to clean up the code. Hajl did it in his free time - give credit where it's due.

However, I can provide a link and a quote from John Smedley stating they didn't even TRY to renegotiate a deal, but had they, they probably could have.

LINK

Quote:

"We have a contractual relationship that's ending in 2012. ... That's the problem with licenses: they end. Could we have renegotiated? Maybe, but I don't think that would be the right thing for the company."

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

whats your opinion?

SOE never claimed that.

SOE doesn't want SWG.

If this is FACT, provide a LINK! I know you won't because you CAN'T provide one. Everything you're stating is your OPINION or worse, lies. You have no source, you provide nothing but blatant slander against LA for SOE's failures and your only example has absolutely NOTHING to do with SOE - it was a guy selling replica helmets, something LA already does - of course they should shut him down. He has no right to profit off Star Wars without licensing.

Your atmospheric flight has been in game since JTL - SOE never released it because THEY didn't want to clean up the code. Hajl did it in his free time - give credit where it's due.

However, I can provide a link and a quote from John Smedley stating they didn't even TRY to renegotiate a deal, but had they, they probably could have.

LINK

Quote:

"We have a contractual relationship that's ending in 2012. ... That's the problem with licenses: they end. Could we have renegotiated? Maybe, but I don't think that would be the right thing for the company."

SOE shot thier own foot off on this one.  SOE has been in charge of development.   CU and NGE has always been SOE, with LA giving the go ahead.     LA did push them into improving the game.   You can see that after the NGE failed LA pretty much walked away.   And without LA pushing SOE the development has been development light.    

Since the NGE the staff have done what they could with a small budget and a skeleton crew.   They did put in some new features to the game.    Fact is LA gave up on SOE and went over to Bioware.   SOE is one messed up company, they continue to hold onto the idea of part I, II, III.   

What they should have done was improve on what they had .   Instead thier attitude is make a game on the cheap, make some money on start up, then take the staff off the game to work on a new one.    You can read into that with Smedly stating he would have liked to have had SWG II out by now.   

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Being a SWG vet since launch I feel I must waste my time on this topic.

1: What does the lifting of one MMO's NDA have to do with another games demise? I'm being serious. I don't understand the topic.image

2: Someone a few posts back said something to the effect that LA is overprotective of their IP. I find that hard to believe. Surely the existance of the Prequelsimage and the Clone Wars crapimage proves they only care about the almighty dollar. LA cares about the SW IP as much as a pimp cares about their whores.

3: No, SWG should not return unless we are talking pre-NGE status. Then I would still play the emu.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by bartoni33

Being a SWG vet since launch I feel I must waste my time on this topic.

1: What does the lifting of one MMO's NDA have to do with another games demise? I'm being serious. I don't understand the topic.image

Because many people incorrectly blame TOR for SWG's closing. They completely ignore the numerous mistakes SOE has done from the launch of this game to the NGE debacle.

2: Someone a few posts back said something to the effect that LA is overprotective of their IP. I find that hard to believe. Surely the existance of the Prequelsimage and the Clone Wars crapimage proves they only care about the almighty dollar. LA cares about the SW IP as much as a pimp cares about their whores.

I think LA isn't protective enough with who they let use their IP. I can't blame them for letting SOE make an MMO as SOE had a very successful game with Everquest back in the day. The problem with SOE is that they never improved and let blizzard pass them right by.

3: No, SWG should not return unless we are talking pre-NGE status. Then I would still play the emu.

If they had fixed the bugs, fixed the broken proffessions and made the game more stable then they would have been fine. But I think  at this point it's too late. Most of the player base has moved on to other games.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

As an emulated pre NGE version on a free shard for sure. Hell I'd even pay a   small donation for keeping such a server alive.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• WolfenbaneWolfenbane Member Posts: 48

Whenever one of us SWG chaps posts re SWG its always replied by someone who didnt play and doesnt get what the big deal was...and such it will be

Should it return? Yes - Ive never understood how Lucas or SOE can let the game go the way it did - in its glory days it was milking the hell out of us gamers and for back then this was like WOW level subs.

Should it return as it is? Hell no.

They need to take the pre CU/NGE base and work off that, id keep in jump to lightspeed and drop Wookieland in a instant, simply take the content from it and re-engineer it back into the world properly.

Theres no need for half the planning and dev stages you would need on another MMO its all there, it just simply needing bringing into the 21st Century. The groundwork is done.

Everyone has a different perspective and i respect that - us SWG peeps do tend to look back with rosy glasses sure, but the bug bear is that if theres THIS many people wanting it back, then what company out there can not see what a great investment this would be?

SWTOR is shocking anyone whos played the betas can see it - its got some good bits but its no better or engrossing as an asian mmo. Theres no grit or depth to it all. I wasnt expecting SWG ver 2.0 but i was expecting more than Tomy My First star wars game. They put all the effort into the storyline and forgot about the rest. I cant see it lasting or competing with the bad boys out there. Pity but a reality.

SWG would fill a very big gap in the market and with some clever re-designs and instigation of all the fixes and tweaks, it would kill the market. Making sure it was sandbox at all costs, the market is crying for a sandbox. Yeah it means us older players like it more than kids but really is that bad thing??

My take? give it to Trion - they would bring into the Next Gen market, the overall basis of RIFT is simply next gen, some of the ingame stuff is a bit rehashed but theyre still firing out new ideas - not one other company i know of can lay claim to new ideas like Trion does.

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

no SWG should not return and if you truly wanted it to stay it would of had more than 20k subs. Regardless to your hate for swtor: it'll never be as large of a failure.

My stance is based on a business professional perspective and not blind fanism. If the game were more successful it would of never closed.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

SWg is dead, and has been so since the nge for me at least. I  The only way to save SWG would be for somebody to go pre cu, and i'm not talking that pirated private server stuff were not supposed to talk about in these forums.  It would have to be a legit company.

I just really don't se that happening.

whats your opinion?

SOE never claimed that.

SOE doesn't want SWG.

LINK

Quote:

Care to explain why it would not be the right thing for the company? It could be that LA are forcing SOE to shut it down, and if SOE kept it active they could face court battles with LA

Why is it that the game is ending in 2011, and not 2012 when the the contractual relationship ends? It could be because LA/EA bought it out

Your link does not answer those questions, so what you say is just opinion too, and you are just reading what you want out of it, and does not say anything about John  Smedley not even trying etc. Unless you can provide a link that explains those two questions, then what you are saying is all made up too, and there is more to that statement, of which none of us will ever know.

What I have said is just opinions, and my point is that your comments are just opinions too, and neither of our comments are based on facts

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

whats your opinion?

SOE never claimed that.

SOE doesn't want SWG.

LINK

Quote:

Care to explain why it would not be the right thing for the company? It could be that LA are forcing SOE to shut it down, and if SOE kept it active they could face court battles with LA

Why is it that the game is ending in 2011, and not 2012 when the the contractual relationship ends? It could be because LA/EA bought it out

Your link does not answer those questions, so what you say is just opinion too, and you are just reading what you want out of it, and does not say anything about John  Smedley not even trying etc. Unless you can provide a link that explains those two questions, then what you are saying is all made up too, and there is more to that statement, of which none of us will ever know.

What I have said is just opinions, and my point is that your comments are just opinions too, and neither of our comments are based on facts

Did you just really question why SWG is shutting down in 2011 and not 2012 like the contract says. Did you even use a simple brain cell to understand that SWG closes on the 15 of dec, 2011. 15 days before the first of jan 2012.  SWG had it's run and for license reason's between both LA and SOE their contract is ending. Everything else is speculation and tin foil hat stuff.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

whats your opinion?

Uh, no. This coming from a guy who had the greastest fun I have ever had in an MMO pre NGE building my pharmaceuticals empire and living out "MY STORY" in the Star Wars universe.

No, there is nothing, absolutely nothing SOE could ever do to get me to give them money ever again. That includes the rest of Sony too. They made a business decision with their NGE. I respect that (didn't like it though).

So I made a business decision as a consumer as well with my NSE (New Shopping Enhancements).

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

The concept of a AAA+ budget going toward a modern day Sandbox Star Wars MMO would please anyone on this website.  If they say otherwise, then they're lying.

The world (reality) could live with a AAA+ themepark Star Wars game and a AAA+ sandbox Star Wars game, but I think LucasArts is too afraid to ever try a sandbox game again. 

So, in my opinion, it'll never happen in our lifetimes.

Originally posted by musicmann

whats your opinion?

SOE never claimed that.

SOE doesn't want SWG.

LINK

Quote:

Did you just really question why SWG is shutting down in 2011 and not 2012 like the contract says. Did you even use a simple brain cell to understand that SWG closes on the 15 of dec, 2011. 15 days before the first of jan 2012.  SWG had it's run and for license reason's between both LA and SOE their contract is ending. Everything else is speculation and tin foil hat stuff.

They said in 2012, not 1st Jan 2012. Where does it say it ends on 1st Jan 2012?  If I recall I think it was February or April or could have been June when it was released, so without SWTOR in the way, it could have stayed active until the end of Jan/Mar/May-June

The thing is LA wanted SWTOR to release before 2012, so therefore SWG had to shut down before the licence ended

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

The concept of a AAA+ budget going toward a modern day Sandbox Star Wars MMO would please anyone on this website.  If they say otherwise, then they're lying.
    The world (reality) could live with a AAA+ themepark Star Wars game and a AAA+ sandbox Star Wars game, but I think LucasArts is too afraid to ever try a sandbox game again. 
    So, in my opinion, it'll never happen in our lifetimes.

I think people are a better judge of their likes and dislikes than you are.I could care less about another sandbox mmo,star wars or not. Been there,done that,wont ever do it again.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Anybody who thinks that SWG was a AAA+ game in the first place is being delusional.  There is no way that SWG was ever AAA+, not even before the NGE, and after the NGE it was a glorified theme park anyway.

I am happy with swtor,   folks are just bitter and now they know how us folks who loved the game before the nge felt. Its time to get over it and move on.  SOE could care less,  Lucas Arts could care less.  All the temper tantrums you could possible throw on you tube about how bad it suxor is not going to change anybodies mind.