Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is PW/Cryptic can easily change a CORPG into a Full MMORPG, than why can't Blizzard and Anet?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Is PW/Cryptic can easily change a CORPG into a Full MMORPG, than why can't Blizzard and Anet? Diablos 3 and Guild Wars1 should be converted into full MMO, like PW Cryptic is doing with NWN. Can you imagin how great these games would be as a full MMO? It shouldn't take much ight? Seeing that PW and Cryptic could make the turn around this deep into development.

What's hard about expanding the server limits? Wouldn't it profit those games more actually?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

You obviously have no idea how much Code goes into making a game, especially with client - server networking...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

We don't need all games to be mmorpg's.

There is place for both corpg's (GW1), single player with lobby multiplayer co-op (Diablo3) and mmorpg's. And all other types of games.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Posts like this are the result of the same kind of thinking that brings us posts asking for single-player versions of MMOs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

I think it's funny that anyone would suggest that Anet and Blizzard follow in the footsteps of PW and Cryptic.  

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Perfect World calling NeverWinter an MMORPG isn't the same thing as it being an MMORPG. If you ignore the words 'MMO' and 'RPG' on their website, the game sounds a lot more like a COOP-RPG than an MMORPG.

That said, GW1 and D3 should be what they are because they are good at being what they are. Turning them into an MMORPG will not be an improvement.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Umm...because they wanted to create a CORPG and not an MMO? Just a wild thought...

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by Kreedz

You obviously have no idea how much Code goes into making a game, especially with client - server networking...

game.mmorpg = true;

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

You know what the problem with the NGE in Star Wars Galaxies was?  It wasn't what the game was like before the NGE.  It wasn't what the game was like after the NGE.  It's that the two didn't target the same sort of players.  Unless a game is completely failing, to abandon your current playerbase in search of another is a catastrophic mistake.  If you want to target a different playerbase, you make a different game.  The NGE cost SOE a ton of ill will that they wouldn't have suffered if the game had been along the lines of the NGE right from launch.

Now you're asking for ArenaNet and Blizzard to make the same blunder.

• BruwinBruwin Member UncommonPosts: 54

The thing is, for all intents and purposes, it was already as much an MMO as many asian F2P games. From what I was told from someone in the know, it was very similar to how Phantasy Star Online did its lobby system. Basically a central lobby where many players could meet up, start a group, and then go off into their own instanced version of the game to play.

While I don't know if that's entirely accurate, since I don't have first hand knowledge, I personally don't see why someone can't consider that system an MMO if it's already been applied to other games. And while I don't like their engine for a Star Trek MMO, I can see how it would fit that lobby+instance style to a T.

Of course, I'm still waiting for a huge open world mmo version of Dragonlance, but I'm doubting that'll ever come about.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Diablo 3 isn't out yet, and it is already a looong time delayed, and Blizzard have the money so sure, they could make it into more of a MMO and at least add a few open zones. It is plenty of work, but Blizz have remade this game from scratch more than once so it is far from impossible.

Guildwars on the other hand is already old, and plowing that much money in it wont pay up. Besides, the players would probably feel that this would be a NGE, never revamp an existing game too much, SWG taught us that. Besides, GW2 will be out soon anyways, so if you want a MMO in Tyria you will have one a lot faster.

Cryptics engine is made so it easily supports both MMOs and CORPGs, and the date got moved back 1 1/2 year. Of course partly is the probably because cryptic planned to pull another STO and release a game with little content so adding real zonesand revamping the few there was probably werent that troublesome for Cryptic (I am actually glad PW got their hands on this before Cryptic could do to FR what they alreadt did to ST).

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

OP is under the likely wrong assumption that Cryptic turning NVN into a true MMO is actually more than just marketing speak.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Neverwinter has had MMO tagged on for advertising purposes, they aren't changing how the game plays/works.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I would prefer a Starcraft MMO before a Diablo3 one to be honest.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Blizzard has NEVER turned one of their IPs into an MMO... Never, ever.  I mean, there was that one game in 2004... whatever it was called.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

66% of all mmo considered game are corpg

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Posts like this are the result of the same kind of thinking that brings us posts asking for single-player versions of MMOs.

Too true.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Solo/party hack and slash games should stay hack and slash they are not mmorpgs material specially diablo 3.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

I'm curious if the OP has ever played a Cryptic "MMO". If you have I'm surprised that you're actually defining it as an MMO. Their games are more in line with GW 1, then MMO's. So to actually suggest that GW 1 follow Cryptic's model is incorrect . Cryptic followed GW 1's model , the only difference being that Cryptic half-burro'd the diplo and crafting and pretty well everything in their recent games. The only thing Cryptic should be know for in gaming, is creating excrement of the worst kind.