Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The No Elves Manifesto

Comments

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

I like elves. With a side fava beans and a nice Chianti.

*eats an long, pointed ear*

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• WolfHaartWolfHaart Member UncommonPosts: 216

I'm a Dwarf person myself.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

You have my sword.......I mean lightsaber!........I mean you have my laser pistol! (cof cof) Phew!

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Western mmo in a open world like Darkfall or Skyrim.

Werewolfs vs Vampiers like in Underworld or Vampier masquerade bloodlines but including werewolfs.

A  open freeroaming survial world with zombies would be nice.

A  alien invaded world like in V series or Independence day.

I also would love a MMO without humans for ones im sick and tired of all humans present in games i hate them haha

Verdict: Kill off all Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs and Dragons(Means nomore TOLKIEN worlds pls)

Solution make realistic worlds with more grim looking characters and get rid of fantasy in a fairytale freaking world NOMORE pls.

Grim filthy rude cursing violent nasty dirty looking loser type Elves are ok btw.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Dont care about elves personally as they have a place in Fantasy gaming and culture. Its the complete overcrowded and overdone fantasy genre that im concerned about in MMO's.

***raises plunger in salute to night elf pole dancing and the person who programmed it!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I have an alternate plan.

Can we kill all of the elves and substitute with multiple Liv Tylers?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

It's funny, because the anti-elf crowd is exactly what has brought us the sorts of Blizzardesque elves that are the norm today.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by Saerain

It's funny, because the anti-elf crowd is exactly what has brought us the sorts of Blizzardesque elves that are the norm today.

How do you figure that?

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Replace all elves with clones of Spock and be done with it.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• casskhawcasskhaw Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by gladosrev2

Replace all elves with clones of Spock and be done with it.

I hate you.

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

Give me 8 million and I'll give you a Dune MMO.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

Hating on elves and "no elves allowed" kind of crap is even more tired than the elves themselves. No originality or inspiration here, moving on...

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

This article lends itself towards the "if-it's-not-fantasy-it's-a-sandbox" fallacy. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

UO spoiled me on elves.

The crowd there that played elves (and other races) roleplayed as elves, ran events based on elven lore and fiction, spoke various dialects of Elven/elvish/elf-ese or whatever. They added a color and diversity to the game world. This is not to say there wasn't also a gaggle of  trueblack deathrobe-wearing Legol'ass morons polluting the game, but that there were substantial communities of players on the servers I played (Pacific, Catskills, Atlantic) who contributed a unique game experience to UO through their elf-based communities.

Since then, "elf" in most MMOs just means "donkey-eared class with magic or archery bonuses." In light of that, Elves Must Die.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

It is always a bad idea to define yourself by a negative.

You don't like elves... And I should care, why -- especially since that whole sad trope has been done to death and done far better? You don't like fantasy... So what? Tell me what you do like, what you are going to write about, not some blithering incoherent and meaningless rant against a popular form just so you can try and score points with the oddly large percentage of people frequenting this site that don't, won't, and can't grasp that most people play MMOs to escape the real world and have fun, in so doing they could give a crap less about Sandboxes or some random person's bizarre fear of pointy eared beings.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

My comments are directed to the OP. I wanted to complement the writer on a great article. In this age of  childish mmos,and writers who feel they have to use crude street lingo to communicate with their audience, who they percieve to be of the same ilk.....your prose was both stimulating and refreshing.More please.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by idgarad

Would that be the ultimate sandbox?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Nothing against elves.. if a developer wants elves id say ADD them!

The people that do support the *no elves* actually say stop cloning!.

sure i like elves but you create a game and add elves in it just like any other game added them with the exact same feeling and type and everything you wont see me playing ur product.

Cloning a game = AWFULL i wont sub to your game cus your elves look pretier then an older games elves give me good gameplay and i play ur elves

• Lighten_UpLighten_Up Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by idgarad

Would that be the ultimate sandbox?

FUCKING DO IT. But don't base it on the movie. 

EDIT: I see what you did there.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Does this mean it is FINALLY time for Asheron's Call 3?

I mean instead of elves, dwarves, gnomes -- they actually managed to put a world together with virindi, olthoi, and lugians. 

You do NOT need to use ANY of the "original" fantasy races.  You can create a world that is completely different with all different monsters etc.

This is one of the big things that AC did that other MMOs didnt do before or after.

---

Note we are talking fantasy -- not scifi which by definition has different things than elves dwarves etc.  Personally I do not like scifi because offense trumps defense (IE the gun of whatever era).

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I love fantasy.

Instead of hating fantasy why dont you write an article about hatred towardsFace-rolling, quest-hub-hopping,dungeon-findering, themeparks.

• pierrenard53pierrenard53 Member UncommonPosts: 14

when i play a MMORPG the last thing i wan to be is a human thats what i am in real life

When i play LOTRO and am a hobbit why? because thats the only game i can be one ...

i like every races Elves include

I play MMO to be different then my real life period

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Some elves are ok, my Elven Warden in  Lotro, is a defender of nature, but isn't a pansy that won't resort to violence.  I always RP very crude and rude when it comes to battling (for an elf).  RP in town usually begins with /me cleans the blood of his golden gleaming armor. :)

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Im not against any race in fantasy MMO's. Im just against the 'disney-approved' implementations. Not just with the elves. But also when greenskins or undead look cute and/or clean. The candy coloured so called evil factions in LOTRO, WoW and EQ2..blegh!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by xDayx

I love fantasy.

Instead of hating fantasy why dont you write an article about hatred towardsFace-rolling, quest-hub-hopping,dungeon-findering, themeparks.

Because those wouldn't be humorous or light-hearted?  They'd just be more oh-so-seriousface doom and gloom.

We need a break from seriousface once in a while, or the scowl might freeze on the face forever.

Now about those dragons that appear in every....single...fantasy...game...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.