Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for the Testers

kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

Without getting into whether you like or dislike the game, I have 2 questions.

First, based on your testing time and experience, how long before you think you will get bored with SW:ToR without newly added content?

Secondly, based on what you've seen the Devs do, fixing the game vs adding to the game, what is your expected "time frame" of the Devs adding new content. 3 mnths? 6 months? A year?

Bear in mind, though I was invited to Beta test the game, I haven't. As a currently subscribed SWG player who is going to be looking for a new game to play a little over  week from now, those are the 2 most formost issues I am concerned about.

I am looking for honest opinions and answers.

Comments

• AadienAadien Member UncommonPosts: 220
    I say with no new conten I would get bored at 2-3 months.

I believe in bioware, so I say new content in 2 months
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Question 1 is what I'm worried about the most.  I don't do well with repititous gameplay, but I'm hoping the story keeps me going. I did enjoy my time in WOW and LOTRO and have played quite a few mmos since Precu SWG, but almost all of those mmos were themepark.  Kind of tired of that type of game and would love to play another Precu SWG, if it ever happens again.

Regarding Question 2, I think after a couple months they will be adding stuff.  Might be small stuff or cosmetic, but I am thinking they will be adding stuff right away to keep the hype meter up.

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

If you are looking for SWG 2 keep looking.

Based on what my guildmates and I saw. We are planing on playing a long time. We've played WoW for 7 years and are leaving it for Tor (the entire guild). So we think it will keep our interest for a while.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

Originally posted by Aadien

I say with no new conten I would get bored at 2-3 months. I believe in bioware, so I say new content in 2 months

You say you "believe" in new content within 2 months but is that your actual experience during testing based on the Devs time being split between "fixing" and "adding"? I'm not talking "faith", i'm talking reality.

I dont want another WoW situation where existing content lasts a few months and "content"(excluding the Proffesion tweaking that WoW considers Content)  gets added every 2 years.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I think someone that still subscribes to SWG would love this game for an infinite amount of time... as for most of the rest of us, I'd say 6 months / 6 months.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371
    I plan on playing through at least 5 class story lines?. So I'm saying 6-8 months. The devs have already stated they have a team working on post launch content. I would expect some new goodies within 4 months of release.
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I believe that i will be entertained for 3 to 6 months with SWTOR.
    Each 6 months some new content is needed but wont have the launchversion-longevity and i really dont know if i bother to stay for content worth one more month or so.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by kb056

First, based on your testing time and experience, how long before you think you will get bored with SW:ToR without newly added content?

Secondly, based on what you've seen the Devs do, fixing the game vs adding to the game, what is your expected "time frame" of the Devs adding new content. 3 mnths? 6 months? A year?

Bear in mind, though I was invited to Beta test the game, I haven't. As a currently subscribed SWG player who is going to be looking for a new game to play a little over  week from now, those are the 2 most formost issues I am concerned about.

More that one year of testing and I am burned out on the game. 

I believe they have a number of planets completed and ready to be released when they decide it's the best time for sub retention  AND that means, not for those who rush to endgame the first week.  Other planets are in various stages of production but not ready to go.  The release timeframe, but my guess, 4 - 7 months post release.  I will also guess we will see a surprise after that (perhaps at 1 year).

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Originally posted by Zaush

I plan on playing through at least 5 class story lines?. So I'm saying 6-8 months. The devs have already stated they have a team working on post launch content. I would expect some new goodies within 4 months of release.

This is what a lot who haven't tested the game don't get. There are a lot of story lines that are "sci-fi novel" quality. Anyone who reads books will want to see how those stories play-out.

This isn't a game where you roll alts out of sheer boredom and repeat the same quests. The individual class quest make up a large chunk of the content that you'll never see unless you play that class.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

This is what a lot who haven't tested the game don't get. There are a lot of story lines that are "sci-fi novel" quality. Anyone who reads books will want to see how those stories play-out.

This isn't a game where you roll alts out of sheer boredom and repeat the same quests. The individual class quest make up a large chunk of the content that you'll never see unless you play that class.

I have read every single SW book that has a timeline after episode 6. Reread them all numbers of times. I have hundreds of books in my homes, I love reading.

I dont play games to read a book. I tend to skip text in favor of playing the game.

Excluding the rereadable/multi-storyline, what is the current games content level?

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

I would think just playing through each character story would keep you busy for a while. If it takes 200 hours per class then that's 1600 hours alone. By the time you get through that, there will probably be more content to play through.

Seems like the game might have some legs.

Originally posted by Brixon

I would think just playing through each character story would keep you busy for a while. If it takes 200 hours per class then that's 1600 hours alone. By the time you get through that, there will probably be more content to play through.

200 hours per class? May I ask what that means?

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Really hard for me to speculate on #1, knowing my distrust and totale contempt for most modern themepark MMO's I am thinking 2-3 months before the emmersiveness and entertainment factor of the story gives way to total boredom of the underlying themepark game.  I can tell you this though, take away the voice over and story of SWTOR and I wouldnt even bother to pick it up, so it goes without saying that as much as I hate normal themepark the story in SWTOR is quite freaking amazing to get me to buy and sub for at least a few months.

On #2, if they follow the WoW time frame, which I assume they will since everything else is almost corbon copied from it I would say it might be 3-4 months.  But the content you get in that first content update will be more raids that a significant population wont do, and more fluff to give their game more personality.  I would assume that meaningful content that is meant to be shared by all players will probably never see the light of day and everything will tailore made for the vocal minority that all themeparks cater too.  (yea this means we'll never see meaningful exploration, world bosses with hidden and random triggers to spawn that offer loot on par with raiders, and world PvP objectives that doesnt entail grind and not community building)

I would think just playing through each character story would keep you busy for a while. If it takes 200 hours per class then that's 1600 hours alone. By the time you get through that, there will probably be more content to play through.  Seems like the game might have some legs.

What about people who have zero intrest to play another class then their mains, not everyone is an altoholic you know.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771

Originally posted by Terranah

Question 1 is what I'm worried about the most.  I don't do well with repititous gameplay, but I'm hoping the story keeps me going. I did enjoy my time in WOW and LOTRO and have played quite a few mmos since Precu SWG, but almost all of those mmos were themepark.  Kind of tired of that type of game and would love to play another Precu SWG, if it ever happens again.

Regarding Question 2, I think after a couple months they will be adding stuff.  Might be small stuff or cosmetic, but I am thinking they will be adding stuff right away to keep the hype meter up.

What game doesn't offer repetitive gameplay?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Despite that there are 4 stories on each side, the world is very linear, so even with a different main story much will feel the same. I don't see most people leveling more then 2 characters on every side of the fence..

And for those people that want 2 characters within the same subclass, like a Jedi sage and a Jedi shadow, theing will get really boring  very soon. I dont see myself playign 2 times through the same story.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ManezaoManezao Member UncommonPosts: 24

200 hours per class? May I ask what that means?

It´s about the time of class quest take i think....

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by Iselin

Exactly. And I plan to play all the way through one class story before starting another. Not jumping around ala CoH.
  • Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

6 months of testing and I'm not bored yet.

However, I didn't finish any class story line in testing (did this on purpose) so I'd have some surprises left for live. I am pretty tired of the origin worlds and the planets through Act 1, but I know them so well by now I should fly through them at launch.

I can't speak for the testers (and they are out there) who had multiple 50s for each build. I'd imagine there's not much left there in the way of new shiny for any of them.

It's a playstyle thing, as others have said. Having played 4 classes well into Act 2, and 2 of those into Act 3, I have quite a few storylines I'm jonesing to see the end of, and some more that I barely dipped my toes into, but want to play as well.

The rush to 50 crowd will always exist, and will always complain about being 'done' with content after a few weeks. Will they be provided for? I don't know, there's hardmode heroics of all the flashpoints and a couple of Operations too. That should keep people busy for a while.

I don't doubt that there's extra content in the pipe, but how close to ready that is, is open to conjecture. None of us really got to see new content (beyond flashpoints and Operations) being added, but those seemed to come through very quickly. The re-design of Nar Shaddaa's promenade was niftily done too. Hard to imagine it without Lucent Square now. Thing is, none of us know when the writers said "Fix this!" and how long it took them to do it. I'd say the speed of new content delivery depends on how how much voice recording and motion capture they already have in the can ahead of time.  

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what the legacy system is all about, and I think if it is some form of AA, it may help with retention. That legacy XP bar must mean something, after all.

• ManezaoManezao Member UncommonPosts: 24

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

6 months of testing and I'm not bored yet.

However, I didn't finish any class story line in testing (did this on purpose) so I'd have some surprises left for live. I am pretty tired of the origin worlds and the planets through Act 1, but I know them so well by now I should fly through them at launch.

I can't speak for the testers (and they are out there) who had multiple 50s for each build. I'd imagine there's not much left there in the way of new shiny for any of them.

It's a playstyle thing, as others have said. Having played 4 classes well into Act 2, and 2 of those into Act 3, I have quite a few storylines I'm jonesing to see the end of, and some more that I barely dipped my toes into, but want to play as well.

The rush to 50 crowd will always exist, and will always complain about being 'done' with content after a few weeks. Will they be provided for? I don't know, there's hardmode heroics of all the flashpoints and a couple of Operations too. That should keep people busy for a while.

I don't doubt that there's extra content in the pipe, but how close to ready that is, is open to conjecture. None of us really got to see new content (beyond flashpoints and Operations) being added, but those seemed to come through very quickly. The re-design of Nar Shaddaa's promenade was niftily done too. Hard to imagine it without Lucent Square now. Thing is, none of us know when the writers said "Fix this!" and how long it took them to do it. I'd say the speed of new content delivery depends on how how much voice recording and motion capture they already have in the can ahead of time.  

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what the legacy system is all about, and I think if it is some form of AA, it may help with retention. That legacy XP bar must mean something, after all.

The legacy XP bar....is for you family.......after act1 complete you´re gonna choose a family name for ALL of your character in the game servers......like Skywalker, Kenobi....

so you gonna get reputaions....and other things i think!

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Boredom came because the game itself became boring... not because I ran out of content.

*  If I had not been in the beta, I imagine I would've enjoyed the game for the first month... then probably quit during the second.

• mav1234mav1234 Member UncommonPosts: 82

1) A couple, maybe three or four months, because the personal story lines for characters are different enough I would play at least two on Empire and Republic and maybe more.  Keep in mind that I will likely level one character to max quite quickly, then slowly work through the story of others while I gear that character.  I will not be hardcore though, so that is factored into my time estimates.

2) Define "new content."  There will likely be content patches a couple months after release.  Are you talking an expansion here or what?  I expect they will add new stuff very shortly after release... they saw what Rift did and saw how several months of WoW-Stagnation hurt it and while I doubt they can do it as quickly as Trion I am sure they realize the necessity of new content on a regular basis.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

without new content whatsoever i would be rerolling all the classes and playing full story so 1year :D , seing as that wont happen, because we are talking about Bioware, will be playing for a long time dont know if it will last as long as WOW did, it is up to them basicly

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Without new content?  I'd say the game will hold my interest for at least 8 months to a year strictly because every class I've played is so  much fun, the story line is great, and it is releasing with enough content to keep me busy for a while.

As far as what I've witnessed, Bioware has done a very good job of fixing bugs pretty quickly, and I have confidence they'll add content pretty quickly after launch.  I'd say probably every 3 months or so, give or take?  

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Well, it really depends on how the community develops.

If I find a good RP-PVP community on the Imperial side.....then I'll be playing for years.

If not...about a year, probably. Maybe longer, depending on content and what-not.

I predict that Bioware will be adding little things on a constant basis, fleshing out the existing game, with a decent sized content addition in three months time.

They really seem committed to making a great game, and to being dedicated to the "long haul".

Gonna be fun to see what they deliver.

• mav1234mav1234 Member UncommonPosts: 82

I actually think TOR will keep my attention for longer than any other MMO has, post launch, because I finally have a decent reason to reroll outside of simply having a different class.

I played Tortage in AoC at least once on every class just to see how it was different, heh.