Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bland, Cookie Cutter with nothing new

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Distopia

Again are you saying a simple response to your negative is defending the game, rather than somone offering a different perspective?

Polarity at all times, bifurcate everything into exactly two simplistic viewpoints.

It's how Forum Wars is done.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Thread title sums up this thread really. Heard it all before.

• moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 135

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Bland, cookie cutter, and nothing new.  Just like this thread.  

Yar! ^^^

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Tardcore

Oh FFS.

Here we go again. One poster comes in and drops yet another uneeded, hardly informative, post about how they don't like this game, instead of just adding their talking points to an already existing thread. (I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to his opinion, I just fail to see why he couldn't have just used one of the huge multiple of pre-existing threads on this topic to voice it.)

But far more annoying is once again here come all you fans of the game, colonising (by your own description) a pointless thread, running it out to multiple pages, and keeping it on the front page for a couple of hours. Do you not realize that you are pretty much legitimizing yet another unremarkable post that would have otherwise been burried in the back pages of the forum by now? If such posts offend you, and judging by some the responses here, they do, it might behoove you, and benefit all of us, if instead of trying to counter every opinion you feel is beneath your notice, you learned to use the ignore feature.

My two cents.

There's a create thread button above use it if you want to see something else being discussed.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by Rusty715

Or, even better, you can look at it for what it is:  An actual, very solid MMO.

Its big, its online and lots of people play. Nobody said the people have to play together for it to be mulitplayer. Yep, its an MMO.

I hope games developers don't read that comment, otherwise every single player game in the known universe will suddenly become an MMO just to cash in. All you have to do is have one big city with instance rooms that only allow one player. You go in the room, you play a level of Call of Duty, then go back out to the city. Go to the next instance for the next level.

Developer: "What are you whining for? All you people are online at the same time, it's an MMO. Now stop your whinin' and pay up your monthly fee, punk!".

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

I hope games developers don't read that comment, otherwise every single player game in the known universe will suddenly become an MMO just to cash in. All you have to do is have one big city with instance rooms that only allow one player. You go in the room, you play a level of Call of Duty, then go back out to the city. Go to the next instance for the next level.

Developer: "What are you whining for? All you people are online at the same time, it's an MMO. Now stop your whinin' and pay up your monthly fee, punk!".

Come on...You know the Elder Scrolls mmo is coming. Seriously how many people on this site are playing a legit box copy of Skyrim? The game is ungodly easy to bootleg.

I'll tell you right now if someone figures out how to play TOR offline as a single player RPG I'd download it.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

While I share a lot of similar concerns the OP has, it'd be unfair to characterize the Companions as 'just an extension of yourself". For me they add some new dimensions to the genre while augmenting/experimenting with how they enhance familiar MMO aspects, like crafting in particular.

Story is more than nice. It pushes the genre forward. Fail or succeed, it is now out there, and while I can appreciate the viewpoint that people will get sick of it, I can't agree with the generalization.

Flashpoints were unexpectedly fun for me, and I am not a PvE kind of person. Was easy to find a friendly, helpful Juggernaut to go with my mercenary and we tore up the joint. Did it a few times to see how the story played out with different decisions. They were possibly a little too easy, at least Black Talon seemed to be.

Only played Huttball, was I was not expecting it to be as much fun as it was. The PvP is worthy of a second look from me. My first game I had top kills (which means something must be wrong with the leaderboard...37 kills seemed extravagant for a 3 minute game).

Is it a fairly static themepark with cut-and-paste mechanics for a foundation? Yes. However, I am finding that, in-between the sameness, I can enjoy the few bright, unique jewels that the game offers. Good for at least a few months.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Rehasing and recycling the same old talking points is getting old... it's almost as if they copy pasted the negative reviews..

• Fed1Fed1 Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by Jackdog

Oh it will be a huge success, just expect a large amount of player churn. As long as you look at it a single player game with some MMO options you won't be dissapointed.

really ? . You could play this game to 50 and never talk to another soul and you character will not suffer.

REALLY? LOL

OK in the world according to Jack based on your criteria

WoW not a MMO

SWG Not a MMO

Vanguard Not a MMO

CoH Not a MMO

STO not a MMO

Rift Not a MMO

list goes on and on

I have been here since my SWG days. MMORPG never disapoints for the Drama and Ludicrous posts like this one. Its really gives me chuckles. Thanks

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Originally posted by Falin

Sure the Voices are great, but after only a few hours of playing people will discover the space bar bypasses them. Sure you get a companion, but so does everyone else, it's just an extension of you and not really anything new.

the story is nice, i'll give it that, but that's where it ends. the Graphics are not that great (unless they're holding off for release, which i doubt), every class is mirrored exactly on the other side, so if you play a Smuggler you've played an imperial Agent, with the exception of the wording of the story. the planets are lifeless, no moving grass, no flying insects, no animals just wandering around and the cities are dead, barely any NPC's in them or background chatter.

Space combat is a rail game, so unless you really enjoyed Asteroids as a kid, it'll be boring to you. PvP is umm...well, i'll let someone else explain how bad that is, my experience was only 3 mini-games reminiscent of the CoH/CoV system. then there's flashpoints, their version of group instances, when i first tested these these were Awesome! but then they started tweaking them and fiddling with them and reducing the lengths, and now they're just ok.

the Light Side/Dark Side point system sounded cool in the beginning, but it's now a useless addition, oh boy a few titles and some visual corruption if you're dark, at the higher levels you get some cool gear, but it's exactly the same gear weather your dark or light and just visually looks different. 

I won't even mention how you can't change sides, so if you go dark Jedi, you can not move to  the empire. a Smugular is stuck with the Republic, while Bounty Hunters are stuck with the Empire. there really needed to be a third faction of Neutral. I could go on about the negatives of this game, but i think you get the picture.

all in all, the game is a Step back in MMO's, it's taken all the features of other games and reduced them to as simple a state as possible, there's nothing new, innovative or exciting about the game, except that it's Star Wars of the past (but unlike STO, they at least did stay true to the Universe)

In reality, if they took this game, rebundled it as KOTOR3 and sold it as a standalone it'd be far better, i'd hype this game s a 4, and that's just for the Name Recognition alone.

Oh and here we are less than 3 weeks from launch (dec 20th) and not a single advertisement for the game anywhere. you'd think for an Xmas launch you'd see something on TV!

this will be the greatest launch ever of an mmo, and u want them to put advertisement on TV? no need m8 u talking about star wars they could probably put CGA graphics on it and would still rock

• FalinFalin Member Posts: 7

{mod edit}

I don't care if people waste their money or not, but i just wanted them to have an honest idea of what they were getting themselves into. ah well enjoy yourselves, this is the exact reason I never posted before and was warned multiple times by friends not to post here. have fun folks, you won, enjoy the collective voice.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Sure the Voices are great, but after only a few hours of playing people will discover the space bar bypasses them. Sure you get a companion, but so does everyone else, it's just an extension of you and not really anything new.

the story is nice, i'll give it that, but that's where it ends. the Graphics are not that great (unless they're holding off for release, which i doubt), every class is mirrored exactly on the other side, so if you play a Smuggler you've played an imperial Agent, with the exception of the wording of the story. the planets are lifeless, no moving grass, no flying insects, no animals just wandering around and the cities are dead, barely any NPC's in them or background chatter.

Space combat is a rail game, so unless you really enjoyed Asteroids as a kid, it'll be boring to you. PvP is umm...well, i'll let someone else explain how bad that is, my experience was only 3 mini-games reminiscent of the CoH/CoV system. then there's flashpoints, their version of group instances, when i first tested these these were Awesome! but then they started tweaking them and fiddling with them and reducing the lengths, and now they're just ok.

the Light Side/Dark Side point system sounded cool in the beginning, but it's now a useless addition, oh boy a few titles and some visual corruption if you're dark, at the higher levels you get some cool gear, but it's exactly the same gear weather your dark or light and just visually looks different. 

I won't even mention how you can't change sides, so if you go dark Jedi, you can not move to  the empire. a Smugular is stuck with the Republic, while Bounty Hunters are stuck with the Empire. there really needed to be a third faction of Neutral. I could go on about the negatives of this game, but i think you get the picture.

all in all, the game is a Step back in MMO's, it's taken all the features of other games and reduced them to as simple a state as possible, there's nothing new, innovative or exciting about the game, except that it's Star Wars of the past (but unlike STO, they at least did stay true to the Universe)

In reality, if they took this game, rebundled it as KOTOR3 and sold it as a standalone it'd be far better, i'd hype this game s a 4, and that's just for the Name Recognition alone.

Oh and here we are less than 3 weeks from launch (dec 20th) and not a single advertisement for the game anywhere. you'd think for an Xmas launch you'd see something on TV!

About sums it up for me. I won't be wasting a cent on TOR...in fact I wont be buying another MMO period until we get out of this bland/boring genre we're in. The MMOs coming out lately just suck and arn't worth 5mins of my time. Half of the people planning to play TOR will buy it because its the "next big thing". Whether they like star wars or not. Hence the company makes $$...and we continue along this road of bland/boring MMOs :-/ 

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by Fed1

Oh it will be a huge success, just expect a large amount of player churn. As long as you look at it a single player game with some MMO options you won't be dissapointed.

really ? . You could play this game to 50 and never talk to another soul and you character will not suffer.

REALLY? LOL

WoW not a MMO

SWG Not a MMO

Vanguard Not a MMO

CoH Not a MMO

STO not a MMO

Rift Not a MMO

list goes on and on

I have been here since my SWG days. MMORPG never disapoints for the Drama and Ludicrous posts like this one. Its really gives me chuckles. Thanks

whatever . As long as you are happy with Mass Effect II with lightsabers you will be thrilled with this game.

Assuming you don't mind seeing 37 other guys at the marketplace wearing the exact same armor that is the exact same color of yours  with the same named companion that you have. As long as you are happy with space combat straight from a Nontendo 64 game. As long as you are happy knowing that every other guy of your class has the exact same spaceship inside and out. As long as your expectations of socialization and guild functions are about  the same as what DAoC had at it's launch. As long as  you are coordinated enough to play and chat using you keyboard simotaiously or only group with your guildies so you can use vent or mumbles. And lets not forget that BW's idea of state of the art LFG is using the general chat window because what they provided as a LFG function cannot hold a candle to seeing  "Tnak LFG for Estelles" spammed on the global chat

None of that mattered in Mass Effect II because it was just you and the NPC's, but I expect more than Mass Effect II with a subscrption these days. BIoware makes a fantastic single player game , but the fact this is theiir first MMO shows up loud and clear.

BTW unless you are just trolling tell me how anything I posted above is wrong, not jus another  ad hom junior high personal attack.

I miss DAoC

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by lizardbones
    I wonder this too, not specifically about Falin, but about a lot of the accounts that dislike SWToR. Why are they all Novice accounts? I've been on these forums for years, and I don't think I've seen so many Novice accounts*.

Well, the paranoid answer would be Many Alts--the players who created a dozen or so alts with their first one.  Which suggests some nefarious possibilities involving organized viral marketing.
    Less paranoid, players who discovered (when trying to create a new account) that they already had one, four or five years old.

It seems odd that there are so many novice accounts, all critical of SWToR. A very vocal set of people who want everyone to know what's wrong with the game. Then you have polls, where people can't shout each other down or use whatever argue-fu they have built up over the years to prove their point. In those polls, SWToR does very well. Basically the opposite of the vocal posters. It's just very interesting, all of it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

have fun folks, you won, enjoy the collective voice.

The collective voice of hundreds of thousands enjoying SWTOR? Thanks! I'll make sure I do that. :)

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I wonder this too, not specifically about Falin, but about a lot of the accounts that dislike SWToR. Why are they all Novice accounts? I've been on these forums for years, and I don't think I've seen so many Novice accounts*.

Well, the paranoid answer would be Many Alts--the players who created a dozen or so alts with their first one.  Which suggests some nefarious possibilities involving organized viral marketing.

Less paranoid, players who discovered (when trying to create a new account) that they already had one, four or five years old.

It seems odd that there are so many novice accounts, all critical of SWToR. A very vocal set of people who want everyone to know what's wrong with the game. Then you have polls, where people can't shout each other down or use whatever argue-fu they have built up over the years to prove their point. In those polls, SWToR does very well. Basically the opposite of the vocal posters. It's just very interesting, all of it.

what is not interesting is how fans of the game wil not acknowledge the games faults as well as it's virtues. You see the same old crap with every MMO. Fans swear it will be the best thing since sex, trolls swear it is not worth playing and you are a fool to buy it. Honest reviewers get attacked from both sides because the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I miss DAoC

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

it is odd. The truth is there are like 5 or 6 vocal people who have like 100 accounts and cant help posting 100s of negative posts and threads.

if u look at the polls with over 700 votes many of them its like 75 pct give the game a 7/10 or better rating

u have like 5 pct below a 5 and thats it.

So the polls show the truth that most people love tor and had alot of fun when they played it. 

That said there are some new things in tor that have never been done before. Sure there are simliar mechanics u see in every mmo out there from wow, to lotro, to aoc so what

Gw 2 better actually use totally new mechanics for everythign or all those gw2 ans who blast tor will be found hanging in there mamas basement with a note saying no gw2 screwed me

• OcirusskdOcirusskd Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by kalinis

it is odd. The truth is there are like 5 or 6 vocal people who have like 100 accounts and cant help posting 100s of negative posts and threads.

if u look at the polls with over 700 votes many of them its like 75 pct give the game a 7/10 or better rating

u have like 5 pct below a 5 and thats it.

So the polls show the truth that most people love tor and had alot of fun when they played it. 

That said there are some new things in tor that have never been done before. Sure there are simliar mechanics u see in every mmo out there from wow, to lotro, to aoc so what

Gw 2 better actually use totally new mechanics for everythign or all those gw2 ans who blast tor will be found hanging in there mamas basement with a note saying no gw2 screwed me

it clear that most people like swtor but they never claimed to be anything other than it is, but gw2 is claiming to be gamebreaking and inovations never seen before and i hope they pull it off ,but we all know where games that make those claims end up.

It's easy to get 51% of the population to agree to the problem but its impossable to get 51% to agree on the solution.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Here's a review:

the weekend testers played 12 hours each on average, shattering all beta records

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/06/star-wars-the-old-republic-testers-play-for-nine-million-hours-in-one-weekend/

cant get better review than that

12 hours each.

whatever . As long as you are happy with Mass Effect II with lightsabers you will be thrilled with this game. Pretty good game, so probably will.

Assuming you don't mind seeing 37 other guys at the marketplace wearing the exact same armor that is the exact same color of yours  with the same named companion that you have. You mean like everyone in Rift wearing all the same armors or in WoW having the same shoulder pads or in EvE where they have the same ships?

As long as you are happy with space combat straight from a Nontendo 64 game.Starfox was a pretty cool game so, yep.

As long as you are happy knowing that every other guy of your class has the exact same spaceship inside and out. You mean like when you're in the Army, like in a war between to warring sides? Yep.

As long as your expectations of socialization and guild functions are about  the same as what DAoC had at it's launch. YOUR expectations, not mine or most people playing ToR.

As long as  you are coordinated enough to play and chat using you keyboard simotaiously or only group with your guildies so you can use vent or mumbles. You're not coordinated?

And lets not forget that BW's idea of state of the art LFG is using the general chat window because what they provided as a LFG function cannot hold a candle to seeing  "Tnak LFG for Estelles" spammed on the global chat Should it copy WoW's LFG or Rift's LFG or EQ2's LFG? Just curious which one you liked better?

BTW unless you are just trolling tell me how anything I posted above is wrong, not jus another  ad hom junior high personal attack.Your opinion to you is not wrong. It's just your opinion, lol. Anyways, that was a good laugh but not a convincing enough argument not to play ToR. Thanks for the chuckles!

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

what is not interesting is how fans of the game wil not acknowledge the games faults as well as it's virtues. You see the same old crap with every MMO. Fans swear it will be the best thing since sex, trolls swear it is not worth playing and you are a fool to buy it. Honest reviewers get attacked from both sides because the truth is somewhere in the middle.

As someone said earlier.  What you think is a fault might not be the same for someone else. Like the Character Creator.  It's fine to me. Why? Because my character is going to be decked out in armor.  So I could care less what the body looks like.  Don't care that there aren't 50 billion sliders all over the place.  That would let me put a freckle on my nose just right. I actually care more about what the armor looks like. To a greater extent I also care about the content of the game more. For me, story is King.  TOR's focus on story won me over, hell if they removed Jedi and Sith tomorrow I'd still be playing.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Fed1Fed1 Member Posts: 167

REALLY? LOL

WoW not a MMO

SWG Not a MMO

Vanguard Not a MMO

CoH Not a MMO

STO not a MMO

Rift Not a MMO

list goes on and on

Assuming you don't mind seeing 37 other guys at the marketplace wearing the exact same armor that is the exact same color of yours 

Because you asked :-)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=717041

So, I can take my level 7 LS and level 12 robes and and wear them at level 50 - in addition to all of the other orange items from 1-50

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

I will acknowledge it has faults. What game doesn t. The difference is, I ve played beta a long time now and to me anyways, I m still not sick of it. Not one MMO has keot me happy for a long time, but this game does in beta. I can see what it offers, and what it will offer for long term.

What I hate is people coming on here, that have zero knowledge of the game beyond the starter area, and claim they do. It has a great end game, something Rift could have captured, but it didn t, something WoW used to, but they borked it. It as a themepark game is and will be, the best one on the market. Until you have a clue, stop spouting off nonsense.

Because you asked :-)
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=717041

So, I can take my level 7 LS and level 12 robes and and wear them at level 50 - in addition to all of the other orange items from 1-50

Dude, this is pretty fantastic. This is what I figured they'd do but didn't know how/when they would.

The best thing I remember about LOTRO was it's Legendary Weapon system where if you found something, you could just swap in/out things and keep the weapon forever. It saved you from having to use and 'ugly' piece just because it had nice stats. If you found a good enough piece you could keep it forever. The problem with that was it didn't kick in until higher levels like 50 I think, so low levels you still swapped gear.

ToR letting people take a level 10 item like the simplicity of a Jedi robe and restatting that forever is going to be really great. Even with whatever limitations it will have, this is already 100% better than Rift that just has the simply wardrobe feature for clothes and none at all for weapons.

Nice link!

edit:

- End game artifact quality (purple) gear is now partially moddable.

Why moddable? Because that allows the players to customize stats such as critical, etc. to their exact desire. Why only partially? Because mods are now extractable... Think of it this way: it is easier to defeat the first boss from an Operation than the last boss. So we want to reward the players with the best possible loot for defeating the last boss and that loot is typically the Chest piece of a set. The first boss drops less interesting stuff, say boots. This may sound old school, and it is. But by doing so, we ensure that both players that get rewarded by looks and those rewarded by stats are properly rewarded for taking on the most difficult challenges.

Hard to troll this feature at all.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

I think the worst part about all this is... they had this AWESOME IP... and here is all we got.

For instance, you mention switching factions - this would have been beyond cool. They could have done really cool things with light-freaking-sabers and combat but they didn't. Instead your character whacks people repeatedly with the lightsaber... people who should have been sliced cleanly with one sweep on that lightsaber!

The world lended itself to breath-taking inspiration and all they managed to do was recreate the rat-maze KotOR zones (seriously, where is my binary sunset?).  

I mean take AoC - for all it's failings, the world FC has created is awesome. It's living, and breathing inspite of being on those horrible seperate instances. That's a tough thing to achieve!

Here was a company that had a Star Wars world and a huge budget and all we ended up was with a dated MMO.

I've heard many people say that they wished BW had come up with a KOTOR 3 instead of this game. I am inclined to agree. They ought to have made KOTOR 3 with multiplayer co-op elements complemented with purchasable DLCs down the line.

Not worth the $15/month. I am a student so it's really not worth the $60 for me either, I'd ratehr allocate that money to my shoe-shopping fund.  

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.