Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Professing on Professions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Guild Wars 2 fans have been waiting a LONG time to find out what the final profession will be and it doesn't look like that information is coming in the immediate future either. In today's column devoted to GW2, we opine about what that last profession will be or even what it should be. Check it out and then weigh in with your thoughts in the comments.

I‘m sure most of us know what profession we are going to play, but I can’t take it anymore! I want to know what the last profession is for Guild Wars 2! Will my possible partner be a master of magic, or will they choose the path of weapons and physical strength? I need to know; I may end up really liking the profession and play as one myself! When will the last warrior of Tyria be revealed? I have no idea, but to cure the insanity of not knowing, let us discuss the topic with words, and a few sketches by yours truly.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Professing on Professions.

Right now, the net seems to be giving its vote for the Mesmer, we will just have to see.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Release-the-game-mancer :P

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

/off-topic

Tobi! or... well i'm not gonna give any spoilers :)

• Aarni_JoakimAarni_Joakim Member Posts: 9

I'm good as long as the prof doesn't have anything to do with a panda...

• woodard2040woodard2040 Member Posts: 20
    The Geomancer is the Elementalist. To paraphrase the columnist, "they have only released melee classes with the exception of a hybrid" Are you kidding me? THE ELEMENTALIST!!!!!!!!! It was the first bloody profession they released! Then, all these rinse/repeat melee classes albeit far advanced from their former selves, thank the Devs and the Tyrian gods and God himself for that matter!
  • Putting on my paper party hat of foretelling :)

I expect to hear sometime this month what the last profession is.  I also expect that it might have the name 'Mesmer' but that it will have major changes in how it plays from GW1.

I'm also looking forward to a reveal of exactly what's changed with Rangers.

Closed beta is supposed to start before the end of the year.

GDC 2012 is March 5-9.  I'm betting there will be some kind of OPEN beta testing of WvWvW pvp action during that time.

• PyzlnarPyzlnar Member Posts: 1

What are you talking about?

We all know it's going to be the sandvichmancer. :P

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Delvie

Putting on my paper party hat of foretelling :)

I expect to hear sometime this month what the last profession is.  I also expect that it might have the name 'Mesmer' but that it will have major changes in how it plays from GW1.

I'm also looking forward to a reveal of exactly what's changed with Rangers.

Closed beta is supposed to start before the end of the year.

GDC 2012 is March 5-9.  I'm betting there will be some kind of OPEN beta testing of WvWvW pvp action during that time.

Hey, did you steal my hat?  ^_^

But seriously, what a pointless article, when ArenaNet could quite easily reveal the final profession this week. Like they have been saying many times, they'll reveal the Mesmer before the end of the year, so be patient.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Definitly wouldnt mind seeing a Bard or Demonologist somewhere

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230

Originally posted by Aarni_Joakim

I'm good as long as the prof doesn't have anything to do with a panda...

hahahaha. so true. I liked the geomancer idea.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Maybe they were going to follow in another companies footsteps and make an April fools joke into an actual game element.  Bring on the commando!

• howfinhaggishowfinhaggis Member UncommonPosts: 14

i have had a shot at this game and it plays awesome but peeps are going to have to buy a powerfull pc to play gw2  you won't be able to play on a low end pc but cant wait till it comes oot

• nyxxisnyxxis Member Posts: 62

The longer they hold out the longer they keep people drooling. The last profession will be another caster of some sort, its almost a have to. While they say they want to stay away from same ole same ole when it comes to typical class roles, balance almost dictates a need for another caster. Couple of melee types, at least one ranged type that does melee type dmg and then a couple of casters to fill in the gaps.

Alot of people swear by ranged dmg and personally having only one or two ranged will make game play dull real fast.

All Murlocs must die horrible, painful, bloody deaths!

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Very nice article, really like your geomancer idea. I hope arenanet can push it in future expansion if it's not the last profession. Mesmer and ritualist are very unique in term of play style i hope both of them can make a return ^^

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Ok...so...

we know it has to be this year.  I am going to take a guess and say it is neither this week or the week after next (christmas is on that friday) so I am going to guess it is going to be revealed next week...

But wait...What is the point of this article?  Could it be that he knows when they will announce it (highly unlikely) and is just trying to mess with us?

I digress.  I believe that be days in which a reveal is most likely is monday through wednesday, so tuesday is that middle date I am going to settle on.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• GutrippaGutrippa Member Posts: 17

Final reveal will hopefully be a Mesmer, while varying Professions have somewhat modest crowd control skills, the sheer dominance of a Mesmer would be a sweet addition. With every Profession reveal thus far Anet has ensured that each have such overwhelming appeal that many of Us will happily join Alt-o-holics anonymous on Launch day!

It's probably too late to speculate or suggest a hybrid Mesmer with skills from GW professions that won't be in game, but would not a Mesmer/Assassin hybrid be a Mentat!!  Would be supremely bichin to play imb :D

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

It will be a mesmer with a twist...

having sabre and rapier as weapons it will be a high DPS flashy Mellee class..debuffing its ennemies. As flashy as an old french Musketeer.

Using rods it will be more  the class we know from GW1. debuffing and crowd controlling..

On top of they will be able to summon some flashy illusions that work like fire and forget pets (DAoC theurgist) or mind controll its targets

It will be much more then the GW1 Mesmer...

[TOugh all this stuff is made up, i really think that the GW2 mesmer will have more then a single face, to fullfill its different roles, it will have traces from several other classes]

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Mesmer with a twist -> Twister!

Last profession confirmed, you heard it here first folks!

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

I have preordered SWTOR and will be well into it when GW2 comes out. I have gone over the various (professions) and have tentatively selected the Ranger. I love both space and fantasy so TOR will be my sci-fi fix and GW2 will be my WOW replacement - at least I think so. Like what I see so far and if they don't shove PvP down everybodys throat then it is looking good. PvP I stand with my guild(mates), individually or collectively but solo I PvE.

The last profession is plainly down to wishful thinking. It has already been decided of course just that we do not know what it is. TOR has ranged tanks (kinda new) so may be something on that order, although I agree that we are probably going to see some sort of casting class. Is there any kind of casting class that hasn't alreday been in numerous games? We have summoning, pets and demonics and spirits. We have see elementalists (earth/air/fire/water) and mentalists and casting for environment and control of individuals and groups. Direct and indirect damage in single/groups (lightning/fireball/wiggly blue beams).

Perhaps a fighting/dps healer? The writers guess is as good as any. What do others think it might be?

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Is that Tobi-Wan kenobi?

or you want me to call him, Tobi-Wan Mesmera

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

The cancelled fourth campaign 'Utopia', which later became the Eye of the North expansion, had two new classes, a Summoner and a Chronomancer, the later being a magic user who dealt with time, it's an interesting concept and could have useful mechanics for a new mesmer-esque type class, one that could manipulate time for control, affecting movement speed and casting times, maybe have elites that could rewind time and undo the last lot of damage, though that concept may be a bit too close to healing to fit with the trinity of damage, support and control. As there are already two pet classes I wouldn't go with Summoner.

Whatever it is we should expect it to be the most complex class to date, Anet stated reveals are in order of complexity. We know we are getting the reveal this month.

• Nightsong89Nightsong89 Member Posts: 48

Sigh...

Taken straight from various ArenaNet developer quotes: "There is one scholar profession left to be revealed; it's confirmed to be a returning Guild Wars profession with the same name. This last profession is "kind of complex and definitely plays differently than other professions", and will also best fulfill the expectations of mesmer fans. It is said it will be revealed before the end of the year."

Of the remaining original Guild Wars professions:

- Monk - not coming back, no dedicated healer, elements of this class have been incorporated into the Guardian and Elementalist (water attunement) professions

- Assassin - not coming back, reworked into the Thief

- Dervish, Paragon, and Ritualist - not coming back, ArenaNet has stated that for the time being Guild Wars 2 is only focusing on the continent of Tyria so nothing from Elona or Cantha will be shown in game (have to remember that there are two Elder Dragons that block the passages between Tyria and Elona / Cantha)

We have yet to see a profession that fulfills the expectations of Mesmer fans. So... based on all the overwhelming evidence, it is 100% the Mesmer. Hence the delay as well. It is, according to ArenaNet, the most complex class that plays different from every single one we have seen thus far and probably required a lot more time to strip down, rebuild, and test against the current professions in Guild Wars 2.

As for when we will see the Mesmer profession. Sometime between today and December 24. I don't see ArenaNet going into the Christmas/New Year holidays since they very likely take that time off themselves to spend with family.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    Solveig - Tiro of Terminus
  • GandolfiGandolfi Member Posts: 43

I think in terms of gameplay and tactics, the Engineer is the new Ritualist - the turrets take the place of spirits, and utility belt skills will give similar versatilty. I know the two professions are very different in terms of lore, but in terms of the tactics you'll use (turret placement etc) I think they might be similar.

Personally, I'll be amazed if the final profession is not Mesmer.

Originally posted by Gandolfi

I think in terms of gameplay and tactics, the Engineer is the new Ritualist - the turrets take the place of spirits, and utility belt skills will give similar versatilty. I know the two professions are very different in terms of lore, but in terms of the tactics you'll use (turret placement etc) I think they might be similar.

Personally, I'll be amazed if the final profession is not Mesmer.

Exactly. Ritualist in name did not survive but the core mechanic did. ArenaNet has mentioned that the Engineer is the perfect class for those who loved playing a Ritualist in GW1.

To be honest the only class from GW1 that is for sure not going to make it into GW2 is the Dervish. 1) the weapon it was based around does not exist as an option to players in GW2 and 2) the mechanic of the Dervish was based around the Human gods and storywise that would make no sense with the Asura, Sylvari, Charr and Norn.

The Paragon on the other hand, their shouts somewhat got incorporated into the Warrior.

Terminus
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

having sabre and rapier as weapons it will be a high DPS flashy Mellee class..debuffing its ennemies. As flashy as an old french Musketeer.

Using rods it will be more  the class we know from GW1. debuffing and crowd controlling..

On top of they will be able to summon some flashy illusions that work like fire and forget pets (DAoC theurgist) or mind controll its targets

[TOugh all this stuff is made up, i really think that the GW2 mesmer will have more then a single face, to fullfill its different roles, it will have traces from several other classes]

SHUT UP!  You jsut made me freaking crap my pants cause at first I thought that it was what the actual Mesmer was going to be.  j/k  :)

But that class you made up would be a-freaking-mazing!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

SHUT UP!  You jsut made me freaking crap my pants cause at first I thought that it was what the actual Mesmer was going to be.  j/k  :)

But that class you made up would be a-freaking-mazing!

Actually it very well could be. ArenaNet has hinted many times at mind-tricks and illusions when talking about the 8th profession. And considering every profession is GW2 has to be capable of both melee and range to some degree I could see them getting the use of the rapier and being very in line with what they looked like in the concept art to GW1.

Terminus