Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bland, Cookie Cutter with nothing new

Comments

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by Rusty715

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

It offers STORY.  It offers fully voiced quests.  It may not be the most innovative game in the history of the market, but it does offer a few things that other themeparks don't have, and it's improved on quite a few other things.  Why can't this be enough?  And why does every single game that comes down the pipe have to be a revelation in gaming?  It's a silly argument by people looking to criticize a game they don't have any intention of playing.  

And again...the whole "single player interactive movie" argument is an argument made by someone who truly doesn't understand what an MMO is.  It doesn't make this game an MMO.  It ENHANCES a game that is already an MMO by providing story and context to the level grind.  In a previous post I listed the myriad ways that this game encourages interaction with others.  You chose to brush it aside.  That doesn't make it any less true.  

Im glad you explained what an MMO really is. Ive been playing games and following story lines for years and actually making choices about how and where to develop my characters without watching endless cut scenes and being forced to follow a certain path in a certain area. Ive also been able to roll alts in different areas and explore gameworlds without being forced to follow a certain path in the same area. The game leaves little variety in what you can do and where you can do it, you can chose to brush that aside but doesnt make it any less true.

You haven't been following a game with this kind of storyline for years, and you know it.  If you don't like cut scenes, that's a reasonable stance to take.  Not everyone does.  But don't act like you've got the market cornered on what is innovative and what isn't.  This hasn't been done before at this level in an MMO.  Period.  Just because you don't choose to place value on story and quest presentaton like this doesn't mean millions of others won't.  

But you keep fighting the good fight, Rusty.  Make sure the world truly knows how Bioware has pulled the wool over the eyes of the sheep, even as millions play and enjoy the game.  Never lose that feeling of self-importance as you look down on the unwashed masses.   

Voiceovers/ cut scenes are not inovative IMO. Even though they haven't been used to this scale in mmos, it's still been a standard in videogames for the last 15-16 years.

• XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606

Originally posted by onthestick

Originally posted by XImpalerX

Compare to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8GJcGIVbI

THe star wars video looks like a bunch of nerds swinging around sparklers fighting a plastic dragon.

Nerds swinging swords, nerds swinging sparklers..anyone feels the irony? when insults is all that is left to make a point you know one has run out of arguments.

Not trying to make an argument, just posting my initial feeling of what I am watching on the screen.

I dont get a sense of epicness when watching the Star Wars video. My breath is taken away when I watch the GW2 one though.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by popinjay

The onlly people I see boohooing are the fanboys that freak out with any criticism of the game. Nothing matters except that is Star Wars and it has full VO. No flaws at all in my game and nobody better mention any beause I wont see them. I get light sabers what does game have? 

People want story, they get story. Fans seem happy with that and apparently so where's the boohoo?

What's so hard to understand about that?

There is nothing wrong with story but the game needs more than story to sell some of us. People pointing out the pros and cons of any MMO is what this site is about. No matter what negative is posted it always comes back to three things. Its Star Wars, its Bioware and it has VO. Gameplay and replayability dont matter, graphics dont matter, the fact that this has all been done before, doesnt matter. VO is the big selling point of this game and ive seen many "hitting the spacebar" posts of late. Likeing a game is one thing, denying any and all flaws is another.

And what are those flaws? not saying that there are not any. The major one being UI and character ceration but what else is so huge that it stopping you from enjoying the game? i would really like to know because in the ned it is about opinion. i know many who are fine with UI too doesn't mean i am going to beat it down into their head that they are wrong about it and that they can not enjoy game because i personally dislike the UI. Some people are just not that fussy and can look beyond the flaws to enjoy the game.

What he thinks are flaws, are what he thinks are flaws. Nothing can change that.

The problem is his over-inflated sense of worth that he thinks everyone else should think they are flaws too. Or, he thinks they are 'serious' flaws when in reality they are minor things people don't really care about but you have to come up with SOME negative because no game is perfect so....

"I don't like my lightsaber color".

"I think the area is too big to run across."

"I think Bioware is making a huge mistake by not charging less."

"I don't like the accent of this/that/those guys."

You know, stupid little stuff because the game actually works pretty good overall like WoW.

Pot to kettle.

Not really. I never said this game is a "10/10" or "Everyone should be liking Star Wars because it's highly innovative" or "If you don't like TOR, you're blind." That would be the pot/kettle.

You are presenting an argument that you've "seen it all before" and anyone playing this is deluding themselves because it's not fun, lol.

That says more about you thinking others should like exactly what you like and your ego in this case. I already said I don't think everyone will like this game. I know you to be a diehard Rift fan who likes grinding currency, joining LFG groups and waiting til you find a tank, hoping you can get enough people to stop an invasion, poor lore/story immersion with quests and looking forward to more raiding.

You were certainly not going to be happy in ToR.

You missed my edit I will post it again. My opinion is the only one that matters to whether I will buy this game or not. Your opinion has no value at all in that respect. In fact, those that feel the need to constantly defend whatever negative is posted says alot about the game and the defender.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

THe star wars video looks like a bunch of nerds swinging around sparklers fighting a plastic dragon.

Nerds swinging swords, nerds swinging sparklers..anyone feels the irony? when insults is all that is left to make a point you know one has run out of arguments.

Not trying to make an argument, just posting my initial feeling of what I am watching on the screen.

And i am just pointing out the irony.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Is that what it's called now? I always thought it was called flamebait..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

No offense, but I certainly hope GW2 is all you think it will be when it's finally released because you don't hear a peep out of ArenaNet now regarding the game. They had their media blitz and now there's an imposed silence on the game. Honestly at this point since it's last pushback, you have no idea what path the game is taking.

You are looking at footage from what the game was at DEMOS, not from someone's beta. There simply is no way of knowing what's going to work and what won't by the time it's released. For all you know, they may have to scrap half of what they got planned because although it worked in a shortterm demo for ten minutes with a limited amount of people, it may not work with millions of players at the same time.

I plan on buying GW2 myself and think it's going to be a rather good game. But I'm realistic enough to know that everything you've seen the past summer does not mean it will turn out that way and frankly, after everything ArenaNet has promised to people about innovation and breakthrough, if they DON'T live up to that it's going to be a disaster with all the people waiting.

The difference between ToR and GW2 is that ToR gave multiple videos and info over the life of the game that you could see all along. GW2 has only given us snippets and I'm not basing 'awesomeness' on snippets.

Not irony, I dont mean nerds as in who the people are playing the game, but the actual character models themselves. Wielding a lightsaber should be an honor and a privilege, yet everyone has one.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Naxrius

No matter how blatantly bad a game is, a fanboys vision will always be clouded, and to them it wil still seem awesome.

SWTOR will end up just like RIFT.

Still alive putting out content every 6 weeks and making WoW fans rage....oh heaven forbid TOR share that horrible fate

You missed my edit I will post it again. My opinion is the only one that matters to whether I will buy this game or not. Your opinion has no value at all in that respect. In fact, those that feel the need to constantly defend whatever negative is posted says alot about the game and the defender.

So wait replying in general to something said is now defending a game? Is that the secret that everyone is missing? Just don't reply or offer another view towards a negative opinion?

• Cameo3Cameo3 Member Posts: 219

Cows are now holy and it's battle cry is "Holy Cow!"

/thread

Member of Talon | www.lakexeno.com
    RIFT: Redcameo, Warrior, Faemist Server
    RIFT: Bluecameo, Mage, Faemist Server

Yeah, but we already KNOW you aren't buying it. You told us.. so.. why are you still telling us you aren't buying it? That's the part no one understands.

I'm certainly not "defending" ToR, but simply putting it up vs a side by side comparision after playing six months of Rift... ToR is flat out better for immersion and story, plus it has (due to expected income) more potential for longterm success AND ongoing support built-in due to landsize and game philosphy.

Rift is going to run out of dragons soon, friend. I think they've already killed off 3 or 4 out of the 7 from lore so.. meh. Just waiting for the day when both sides have to "work together" ala Wrath of the Lich King. You know that's coming because Rift lore is so transparent and boring it's not even funny.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Not irony, I dont mean nerds as in who the people are playing the game, but the actual character models themselves. Wielding a lightsaber should be an honor and a privilege, yet everyone has one.

Uhhh... except for the 2 classes on each side that don't/can't use'm right?  Yea.. everyone has one.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Haveing been suprised and a bit lucky to get into the 2 last beta's my opinion changed as i left the rather bland Jedi starter areas,i've said in posts before the pathing and enviroments made the game very linear,but when i got to The capital i was pretty impressed at the size of the place and the missions became more fun and less cookie cutter and more involved.

What really impressed was the companion system which i think saves the game from the same old regurgitated crap we see over and over,also the ability to send your crew on missions adds a nice tactical element and balances the intense combat quite nicely and training them almost gives u another alt,which is quite original in my book anyway.

So no definately not cookie cutter damn close but the odd bit of thought from Bioware saves SWTOR from the meh pile which i had already pretty much resigned it to before i tried the beta's.

Still though not  gonna commit as i need to see TSW,maybe even Dominus,Wildstar etc but overall not entirely  convinced with SWTOR but on the back burner ,and with their deep pockets Bio will expand this  as a beta very good superb as a release candidate the best i've ever tested,but still not pulling all those strings i need to buy and sub to it.

p>
  • Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by floreairfoot

Voiceovers/ cut scenes are not inovative IMO. Even though they haven't been used to this scale in mmos, it's still been a standard in videogames for the last 15-16 years.

You could have stopped after the sentence in red.  Thank you for proving my point.

• LokomotivLokomotiv Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Lokomotiv

Tested this game for a weekend. I'm a moderate Star Wars fan.

This game is bland, cookie cutter with Lightsabers. And thats it... the biggest deception ever.

Project manager and dev team didn't even bother... something happened while in development to make the team lose focus on this game.

License agreement with L/A was due at the end of the year.   BW had to deliver the game at years end or potentially lose the SW license

*shrug*

It could be a reason. But, I think, even most basic concepts lack care. Seems that they didn't even try their best. As a Star Wars fan and with a great respect for Bioware and thir RPG games, I feel disapointed. I was hyped about this game, now i won't even buy it.

Comparing this game with GW2 isn't fair... at least the GW2 devs are really putting some effort on their game. I didn't like Rift much but their dev team was passionate about their game also.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Considering the era SWTOR is set in yes it wasn't a privilege because Jedis were every where. So is that what your complaint is? because it was pretty clear that Bioware is not following old SWG style of class progression. This wasn't kept secret you know?

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

As far as im concerned u dont like tor fine dont play it.

I for one had the most fun ive ever had in an mmo.  The story the companions playing a sith, all of that was so immersive and on inquistor the fadt they made me hate my quest giver so much was great

I have never found myself so into a game other then bioware games on my console. This game to me was extremly fun to play and if u judge games on anything other then that thats your bad. 

Originally posted by returnintor

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Lokomotiv

Tested this game for a weekend. I'm a moderate Star Wars fan.
    This game is bland, cookie cutter with Lightsabers. And thats it... the biggest deception ever.
    Project manager and dev team didn't even bother... something happened while in development to make the team lose focus on this game.
    License agreement with L/A was due at the end of the year.   BW had to deliver the game at years end or potentially lose the SW license
    *shrug*

I haven't heard that before. Do you have a link or any kind of citation for that?

Ditto. Would like to see that as well. First I heard of this theory.
  • Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Distopia

So wait replying in general to something said is now defending a game? Is that the secret that everyone is missing? Just don't reply or offer another view towards a negative opinion?

There are negatives about this game that some of us will not overlook. I have yet to understand blind fanboism for any game but the thing you just dont get is, that no matter how hard you defend or how high you hype this game not everyone is blinded by the flash and can see past the one thing this game does differently, full VO. Thats it. Nothing new but full VO. Other than that its just another clone with a lot of the good themepark elements missing. Enjoy your game, really, have fun. I chose to save my $60 for something better.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Oh FFS.

Here we go again. One poster comes in and drops yet another uneeded, hardly informative, post about how they don't like this game, instead of just adding their talking points to an already existing thread. (I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to his opinion, I just fail to see why he couldn't have just used one of the huge multiple of pre-existing threads on this topic to voice it.)

But far more annoying is once again here come all you fans of the game, colonising (by your own description) a pointless thread, running it out to multiple pages, and keeping it on the front page for a couple of hours. Do you not realize that you are pretty much legitimizing yet another unremarkable post that would have otherwise been burried in the back pages of the forum by now? If such posts offend you, and judging by some the responses here, they do, it might behoove you, and benefit all of us, if instead of trying to counter every opinion you feel is beneath your notice, you learned to use the ignore feature.

My two cents.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Not true teh vo isnt the only thing new. There approach to crafting is new  the companions are a thing never before seen in any mmo. its a huge diffrence.

There may not be combat changes that are massive but there changes are subtle and they make a diffrence. The fact is the story takes away teh grind feel, Pop up kil x kill y bonus quests u never have to turn is is diffrent

U can say what u want about this game taht u dont like but its not 100 pct cookie cutter there are enough diffrences that actually make this game a ton of fun and to ignroe them is just blnd haterism

Sure the game has issues with its characte creator only have 4 body types , The ui not being able to customize, The rest of this game plays well runs smoothly and is very fun to play, U dont have to like space combat but its a nice fun mini game.

Originally posted by Tardcore

Oh FFS.

Here we go again. One poster comes in and drops yet another uneeded, hardly informative, post about how they don't like this game, instead of just adding their talking points to an already existing thread. (I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to his opinion, I just fail to see why he couldn't have just used one of the huge multiple of pre-existing threads on this topic to voice it.)

But far more annoying is once again here come all you fans of the game, colonising (by your own description) a pointless thread, running it out to multiple pages, and keeping it on the front page for a couple of hours. Do you not realize that you are pretty much legitimizing yet another unremarkable post that would have otherwise been burried in the back pages of the forum by now? If such posts offend you, and judging by some the responses here, they do, it might behoove you, and benefit all of us, if instead of trying to counter every opinion you feel is beneath your notice, you learned to use the ignore feature.

My two cents.

Another poster who isn't talking about the game, but instead  feels that he needs to be the forum "balancer." Taking the time to construct a fancy post with custom font colors, big words, and lots of commas.

There are negatives about this game that some of us will not overlook.

Enjoy your game, really, have fun. I chose to save my $60 for something better.

Do you get the sense that someone is trying to get you to sub to ToR so that they can play with... you?

You keep posting "I'm not playing ToR" and "This is nothing new so I'm not wasting $60". I have yet to see someone post:

"Please.. Rusty715.. reconsider! Please play ToR with us!"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

There are negatives about this game that some of us will not overlook. I have yet to understand blind fanboism for any game but the thing you just dont get is, that no matter how hard you defend or how high you hype this game not everyone is blinded by the flash and can see past the one thing this game does differently, full VO. Thats it. Nothing new but full VO. Other than that its just another clone with a lot of the good themepark elements missing. Enjoy your game, really, have fun. I chose to save my $60 for something better.

It seems people have forgotten what the term fanboy refers to.

it's not fanboyism to extol the virtues of something that another finds less attractive. Just because you and others feel the need for certain aspects of this game to be different doesn't mean that it is an issue with others. One is not being a fanboy for disagreeing with you.

And if you don't appreciate the voice overs then that's great, you are welcome to that opinion. As they aren't important to you they could be very intriguing for others. Just because you see it as "flash" doesn't mean that it doesn't have more gravity to other players. Surely you know this?

As far as "good theme park elements missing", many games launch without certain elements in place. Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings, World of Warcraft still doesn't have housing unless there was a recent announcement that I missed, AoC had missign elements as did Aion. City of Heroes had things missing as well.

Things will most likely be added over time.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

What does what you said have to do with what i asked? I could list a lot of things I didn't like about TOR, and please do find one post of mine hyping this game. So I'm not sure what any of that has to do with what I asked. Again are you saying a simple response to your negative is defending the game, rather than somone offering a different perspective?