Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPGs in 2012 - anybody else overwhelmed?

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

The ones I'm interested seemed to be staggered in their releases pretty well. SWTOR in a few days, TSW in April, and GW2...well sometime next year anyway. But overall there should be plenty of time for all. 

Probably the only other one I'm pretty interested in is Firefall.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I'm a little curious (though also a litt sceptical) about TSW. That's the only MMO title I know of that *might* be interesting for me, of those coming in 2012.

So, not overwhelmed at all, unfortunately.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Originally posted by Kidon

hopefully ill be playing SWTOR for another 7 years can´t wait

Somehow I highly doubt you will be playing SWTOR for 7 years.

Not overwhelmed really. I wish there was more coming out that interested me. Planetside 2. Guildwars 2. Darkfall 2 (new game?)

Nothing else on the horizon that seems interesting besides maybe that Archage game but I would probably get bored after 30 days tops like in most MMOs. Firefall lol looks like it could entertain me for a couple weeks. I am not going to start any grind-heavy games unless it has FFA PVP in an open world or grind-free PVP of some kind during the first month of pop boom.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Overwhelmed? Absolutely not. Im not expecting anythig to come out 1st half 2012. Im sure gw2 comes out during the year along with tera but i fully expect the rest to get delayed repeatedly until 2013. But wait the world is dead by then. I am overwhelmed with the wii u though. Anyone know where we can preorder that?

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

2012 holds some interesting titles, however it's just another year that some titles will succeed while others fail to live up to the hype.

I'm not one to make predictions but it's shaping up just like any other year for the genre.

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

lol this community wouldn't be excited if jesus was reborn as an mmo. However I would say I am. I'm not into sw enough to play swtor, nor do i like what I've seen/played. Though I'm interested in it's progression once released. Ones to watch for me would be, GW2, Archeage, Tera, Aion 3.0 (Didn't like Aion, don't know if I will after this but I don't think 3.0 is being talked about enough.), wildstar, and MoP reguardless what the ignorant bashers say, could reviatilize wow with it's new take on the way the game should be played.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

There is no way there will be a English version of Archeage next year, 2013 at best.

They havn't even started it yet, and last thing I heard there were no decision if they would do it themselves or if they would use a NA/EU publisher to translate the game.

Aion took 1 1/2 year, TERA is already close to a year and not out yet, and the only cases it have been fast is when they worked on the english version since at least a year before the actual release.

Of course if you can speak and read korean it is not a problem, but otherwise it will be a while. :(

Still, 2012 looks like it will be a great year. I had that hope for 2011 already but almost all of the games got delayed so lets hope they actually release next year without a fuss.

• Dynamic1325Dynamic1325 Member UncommonPosts: 70

Holding out for D3, so bored.... hopefully I can do that till more info on titan, dunno bout gw2 never played anything like it, swtor? nothx.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

The only MMO that is a lock would be GW2

Im interested in The Secret World,though im wary of Funcom.This game isnt a lock until im positive that its actually a solid game.

ArcheAge,I simply dont know a lot about aside from a couple things.If it doesnt end up like every other asian MMO out there then it may pique my interest.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Originally posted by Loke666

There is no way there will be a English version of Archeage next year, 2013 at best.

They havn't even started it yet, and last thing I heard there were no decision if they would do it themselves or if they would use a NA/EU publisher to translate the game.

Aion took 1 1/2 year, TERA is already close to a year and not out yet, and the only cases it have been fast is when they worked on the english version since at least a year before the actual release.

Of course if you can speak and read korean it is not a problem, but otherwise it will be a while. :(

Still, 2012 looks like it will be a great year. I had that hope for 2011 already but almost all of the games got delayed so lets hope they actually release next year without a fuss.

The irony of that being all programming languages are english. So Tera for example, written and compiled in English with a Korean GUI to be then converted back to english with an english GUI.

• WingclipWingclip Member UncommonPosts: 54

Originally posted by Dynamic1325

Holding out for D3, so bored.... hopefully I can do that till more info on titan, dunno bout gw2 never played anything like it, swtor? nothx.

I will prolly try out GW2, and D3 will def hold me throughout 2012 so not sweating it out here. Star Wars is a no go for me even if it was free to play its Bioware. If I start losing sleep I would head back to Eve.

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

I somewhat gave up on MMO's. Will play SW:TOR only because my old WoW guild will switch over, but nothing else will peak my interrest for the foreseeable future unless some company will reinvent the genre.

And by reinvent I mean putting the RPG back in MMO. Or... Starvault will somehow miraculously overhaul Mortal Online.

Until then... FUS DO RAH to the imperials!

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

The only game I am looking forward to is GW2 everything else looks boring to me

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Originally posted by Warmaker

I'm not overwhelmed by 2012's MMORPGs.  I'm actually underwhelmed.  For the last several years by this genre, as a matter of fact.

^ this

I wish it wasn't the case, but there's just no mmorpg's on the horizon that even remotely interest me, and that's really a first for me since 1996. I already know that one of them is a no-go for sure, and now I hope one of the other 2 or 3 will surprise me and prove me wrong. But so far, from what I have seen, Q4 2011 & all of 2012 is a big goose egg for pleasurable mmorpgs for me.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by free2play

The irony of that being all programming languages are english. So Tera for example, written and compiled in English with a Korean GUI to be then converted back to english with an english GUI.

Lol, that is true. 

Still translating a game is a lot of work. I remember the Lineage beta in English, when we started 99% of it all were in Korean and they slowly patched things in. There were plenty of stuff you needed help from anyone speaking korean in the first month so you could do basic stuff.

And they never westernized Lineage, if they plan to do it with AA it will take a long time. I guess they could do it in a shorter period if they do like they did in L1 but they still need to start now if they plan to be ready 12 months from now. And we also know that MMOs often get delayed.

On the other hand do we get the worst issues fixed before the game is out, AION is said to had a lot of issues when it released in Korea.

But AA or not, 2012 will still be an interesting year to be a gamer. :D

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Ive always wanted to find an MMO i could truly settle in that isn't the ol' W o' W, Lotro managed that for a couple of months.

However ive spent most of the MMO days searching for MMO's, eagerly awaiting news the announcement of a release date or insight into a games development, what innovations it will contain, what classes, you know how it is, most of us on here do it.

However this month, and the months that follow i think thats going to change.

I was skeptical about TOR, but now im convinced it will be thoroughly enjoyable. Will the interest last into the long term? Time will tell.

Hopefully by 2012 there will be Guild Wars 2, the pvp game ive been waiting for that is skill based rather than gear based. I actually think this could be the one that will remain enjoyable time and time again.

Next year is also the expected launch of ArcheAge the Korean Theme/Sand hybrid. Truthfully my knowledge on this game is limited, but what i have heard and the little i have seen has certainly grabbed my interest. Sandboxes give the freedom most games can't and im a true believer in having as much freedom as possible in online worlds.

Then there is the Secret World. This one is of little interest to me but its offering a unique setting and a skill based system, sounds great for those looking for a unique experience.

So im sure there are many of you who fans of only one of those titles and care very little or not at all for the others but it seems like in 2012 theres a diverse choice for a change, something for everyone. For me however, i can't seem to decide which one ill want to play (minus TSW) on a long term basis, i imagine ill try them all but if they are all likeable well then its going to be a tough decision!

Is anybody finding it difficult to decide?

2012 is huge for MMO's, probably one of the best line ups ever of promising titles.

I already had two beta weekends of SWTOR, that game is going to fill my MMO needs for quite some time. Next Thursday can't come quick enough. =)

I was able to play GW2 at PAX this year and it was great, so that is also on my buy list and it will be great that playing both GW2 and TOR I only have one monthly fee. =)  PVP is amazing in GW2, probably the best I've ever played in an MMO. ( goose bumps)

Funcom has had there misses with MMO's, this is there 4th try and I'm actually really excited for TSW, it looks really good and it seems like Funcom has really stepped it up this time around and is bringing something that gamers will want to play.

Tera Online I'm pretty excited for , I really like the change in combat and how it's played, just like ArenaNet changed up GW2 gameplay.  Even how Dungeons open up when you go through them opening up more replay value, even GW2 has something simliar to that, very exciting!

Firefall looks like a pretty impresive MMO Shooter, which I'm more excited about than Planetside 2. Hopefully being that it's  a F2P game it's not a really a P2W.

Wildstar looks like a fun Dreamworks/Disney Casual MMO with some different changes to gameplay in an MMO and looks like it could be a fun title.  Also a rumor it will be F2P or B2P, I will take either.

With ArcheAge not coming out till late Q1/Q2 in SK, I'm sure we won't see it till maybe early 2013.  This game may be a big time spender, in a good way from what you can build in the game.

I really do hope developers start to lower there monthly cost for MMO's. I think a lot of developers are going to be hurt due to all the new exciting titles coming out next year.  Smaller monthly fee's/ F2P or B2P may attract more consumers next year, cause I'm sure not going to be playing more than two MMO's next year that's for sure, okay maybe not more than 3. =P

The Game I really could care less for:

MOP  Blizzard has not impressed me over the years of pushing huge amounts of Tiered Gear /Raid content, it just feels like a tiring old job you have to repeat every week and your just not enjoying it anymore.  So what a new continet, race, class, dungeons, quests and raids (recycling), LOL pet battles ( how casual are they trying to push this game, new age requirement should be 5yrs old), the only thing I actually like is the new talent changes...but that's not enough for me to come back.  I gave Blizzard 5 1/2 yrs of WOW, but I'm burnt out and finished with the game.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

The only new MMORPG that really interests me next year is GW2.

Wildstar looks kind of interesting... but I have had Funcom up to the back teeth with their spin (read: 'lies') and god awful approach to launches. SWTOR obviously leaves me pretty cold, but then I have played it for more then a few hours in a beta weekend.

GW2 is the only title that make me think 'fuck yeah' when reading about it... they have seen and addressed so many of my own problems that other Dev ignore that it's not even funny?

Overwhelmed? heh no...

• MilanREWMilanREW Member UncommonPosts: 22

Here's a nice video i created for upcoming mmo games in 2012.

Best Upcoming MMORPG for 2012.

Enjoy! ;)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Hmm, not overwhelmed.

Swtor: really looking forward to

AA: impressed & optimistic

Planetside 2: impressed and optimistic (might not be a 2012 launch though)

GW2: would be optimistic if it weren't for some crucial aspects / lack of aspects I realy dislike (teleporting rather than natural means of transportation / no pvp servers to have pvp in the main game world), Skeptical about Anet's instant gratification and conflict avoidance philosophies.

Secret World: very skeptical

Tera: very skeptical

Firefall: very skeptical

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

If ArcheAge releases in 2012, then I'll be overwhelmed by MMORPGs that year.  If it doesn't, then "meh" for me.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

TERA, GW 2 and ArcheAge. So yes, I am expecting alot of 2012. Hopefully some good indy sandbox game will be released as well.

Still waiting for an Eve competitor, not sure why no-one is developing any space sci fi MMORPGs anymore. SW:TOR no, just No.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

GW2, TSW and planetside 2 

I doubt english version of AA and lineage eternal is coming out 2012

Other game that pique my interest

Repopulation

Blade and soul

Age of wulin

Origin of malu

Firefall

Wildstar

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Kyleran

No problem for me, 9/10 MMO's fail to live up to their expectations, and in the end we'll be lucky if 2 titles are really worth playing by the end of 2012.

This very much imo. I hope that after two years from now there is at least 2 decent enough mmorpgs that I can jump on and off in between when I get bored of both games in turns with a couple of months interval :)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Yamota

Still waiting for an Eve competitor, not sure why no-one is developing any space sci fi MMORPGs anymore. SW:TOR no, just No.

TOR will inspire more scifi mmo themeparks heh

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    To the OP- overwhelmed no, it'll be a sad day when a selection of games overwhelms me. Plus a few you mentioned we know far to little about. I will end up trying at least one of the games you mentioned and if it sucks maybe another. Hopefully they will all have trials as well.