Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 million testers during the "open beta" weekend (two weeks ago)

Comments

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

SWTOR just like WOW when it launched is in between a time period where there is a lackluster genre to contend with.  Look back at the  years since WOW, has there been a game with the buzz that TOR has?

Rift had some buzz, but seriously nothing has launched that even put those kind of numbers together. Sure we can look at the console side of things and say COD/BF3 has created buzz, but for a MMO, it's really looking as though TOR is going to be a game that will draw the mass market of casuals.

I fully expect that after launch of TOR ,blizzard will be stepping up it's next great big thing. 

GW2 has the buzz but it's not going to get the pub or the media hype that TOR gets.

Bottomline,

TOR will be the next mainstream MMO, just like what WOW was 7 years ago. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Originally posted by Kainis

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Kainis

I was one of those 2 million and had only confirmed the reason for my pre-order. I am however currently disgruntled. I got an email today saying that Beta has ended and that I was to completely uninstall the game in preperation for the launch in 10 days (for preorders). Uninstalling made me sad. I haven't felt this way about an mmo in well, ever.

Well then this will really piss you off. If you played after thanksgiving you didn't need to uninstall. It was the final version minus one small patch.

I had just patched the launcher yesterday too, knowing there was a new patch and was curious. I probably had the final installed already :( I sincerely hope Origin works in 10 days :

Yeah. Bad email, poorly worded. It contradicted what I had already read in the forums so first thing I did was go there and found a new sticky in the customer service area with the correct info.

By the way... this past weekend was a much smaller scale test (about 8 NA servers) of the release client and they added many new tweaks (AA is on now, you can set the map transparency during movement, etc.) although some old familiar bugs persist (flickering shadows for ATI users.)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• zephar123zephar123 Member UncommonPosts: 70

I am thinking between 2 to 3 million subs worldwide at launch we will see though.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Did no one actually read the article?

Thanksgiving Weekend= 725k testers NOT 2 million

2 million= Number of people opted in to the beta testing program

2.4 million = Total number of people signed up on the forums

To put this another way:

Only 36.25% of people signed up for beta played the game that weekend.

While 725k is admirable it isn't like it is amazing since other MMO's have done more just not in beta. Based on these numbers though, I think the game will top out at 1.5 million players and drop down to ~ 500k after 3-4 months. 1 million the first month, maybe another 500k the next month. By no means is this game going to be the next big thing, it is another stepping stone on the road to a better MMO, just like RIFT is. 

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

2 MILLION? Thats just outstanding.

• Dave3216Dave3216 Member Posts: 133

The ipOriginally posted by dreamsofwar

Originally posted by Druft

WoW's beta numbers were small since back then MMO's weren't a huge deal.

Also the IP probably wasn't internationally recognised, unlike Star Wars which is beyond huge.

To many of the new generation of gamers this will be the first Star Wars MMO thats ever been released in their eyes, seeing as MMO's weren't big and Star Wars Galaxies was released years ago.

The IP Warcraft was a massive RTS back in the day and was big in asia as is starcraft. Just mmos were not that big.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Originally posted by Distaste

To put this another way:

While 725k is admirable it isn't like it is amazing since other MMO's have done more just not in beta. Based on these numbers though, I think the game will top out at 1.5 million players and drop down to ~ 500k after 3-4 months. 1 million the first month, maybe another 500k the next month. By no means is this game going to be the next big thing, it is another stepping stone on the road to a better MMO, just like RIFT is. 

ha I was wondering the same thing!! 

Unfortunately I don't think this will be a wow killer.  Honestly Star Wars is a fun world and interesting game but I think that fantasy is going to have more mass appeal.

The game is good but I also felt it was better at the low end then higher end.  Course I only played a little ways in so perhaps it improves more later although it would certainly be the exception if true.

But lastly I really can't see how the strong values in the early game can transform into something to keep people interested at the end game.  Meaning you have a strong quest line, a very nice evolving story, but when you hit the end of your quests what do you have?  PVP and Grinding.  Kinda a big change from what drew you through the game.  I'm kinda thinking a lot of people will just kinda say that was fun but the game is over....  Sure some will go into gear grinding and maybe raiding but bioware isn't really like the rift guys do you really expect they can keep rolling out content quick enough to keep the end game interesting!?

I'm skeptical.  In any event the game is going to be a big hit and it will have a lot of players.  I'm just fearful that it will drop off suddenly at the end and the poor lfg tools will put in a barrier to entry for new blood.  Neither are going to be good things after the first 2-3 months...

---
    Ethion

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Shame on me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWiPHU95WyY

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

To put this another way:

IF VGchartz is close to numbers, you are saying that digital US sales and the entire EU market will only sell 100k for launch?

Whether people like it or not, TOR IS the next big thing. We'll just have to see how well it handles itself. 

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

To put this another way:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/05/star-wars-the-old-republic-beta-test-attracts-2-million-players/

keyword is "unique"  or new

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

?did u read the article. It stated clearly that 2 millin people tested tor. That 725 k of those were new testers. For the record my gf tested 11-13 and i didnt get in till thanksgiven

Id be a new tester or one of the 725k my gf wouldnt be one of the new testers. As such she is part of the 2 million whole

god where has reading comprehension gone today.

They had alot of new testers last weekend and alot of returning testers. Thanksgiven wasnt just new testers people

so 2 millin players tested tor thanksgiven weekend and 725 thousand were new testers who hadnt touched tor beta before.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Jimmy562

To put this another way:

IF VGchartz is close to numbers, you are saying that digital US sales and the entire EU market will only sell 100k for launch?

Whether people like it or not, TOR IS the next big thing. We'll just have to see how well it handles itself. 

Yeah, the number that guy threw out was good for a laugh. I guarantee 2million in the first week and 5million noy long after. Keep in mind though, I'm the first to admit that the game has a lot og flaws. It's just that the flaws don't hold a candle to the power behind the IP and the acessability of the game. Plus, the few innovations they did are great selling points. It doesn't take much.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

SWTOR is only worth f2p or at most b2p......it's going to not make it past 2012 as subscription based.

Originally posted by Alphamojo

SWTOR is only worth f2p or at most b2p......it's going to not make it past 2012 as subscription based.

This is ridiculous on so many levels. This game has well over 1 million pre orders and the peope who have palyed it , love it for the most part dont belive me leave this site and go to sites where fans go.

There are millons of fans loving this game. the haters on here cant change that. 

They say fanbois cant see reality then post this stuff who cant see reality i mean please.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

I love these kinds of predictions.  They make me giggle.  

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

as do the ones that say SWTOR will have more sub's than wow at its peak

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

What is it about getting numbers that sets people off on the "I am the mystic Mystery Man, pay heed while I foretell the future" mode?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• meccariellomeccariello Member Posts: 50

only 25% of WOW players are westerners. most are asian who pay on a differenct subscription model

www.insomniacsbar.com (my little bar that i own in florida)

• AeternumAeternum Member Posts: 38

You may go ahead and substract one from those predictions as I wont be able to play until May :/ Life and its obligations. curses!

i have never heard anyoen say it will have more subs then wow at its peak. , I dont care what game it is no game will get to that level .

tor hs the potential but not at launch. Wow is a once in a lifetime phenomenom . Not that tor isnt a great game i full expect it to get and retain over 5 million subs but  14 million which was wows peak is asking alot for a game  any game.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by sanosukex

For every 1 "fanboy" who actually claims SWTOR will have more subs than WoW at its peak, there are 50 mini-Nostradami running around saying that the game will be F2P in a year.  So you are kind of misrepresenting how many people are overly rambunctious in their positive predictions.  

99% of any SWTOR "fanboy" would tell you that this game won't have as many subscriptions as WoW at its peak.  So no need to invent stuff like that just to provide a balanced argument.  

For every 1 "fanboy" who actually claims SWTOR will have more subs than WoW at its peak, there are 50 mini-Nostradami running around saying that the game will be F2P in a year.  So you are kind of misrepresenting how many people are overly rambunctious in their positive predictions.  

99% of any SWTOR "fanboy" would tell you that this game won't have as many subscriptions as WoW at its peak.  So no need to invent stuff like that just to provide a balanced argument.  

invent? I hear people say all over these threads this will be the biggest MMO ever

i dont think they are aiming for balance. they just dont care about facts. if u read half the posts of the people who blast fanbois they dotn care about facts at all in there arguments.

invent? I hear people say all over these threads this will be the biggest MMO ever

i never hearde biggest mmo ever. Biggest mmo launch ever i have heard. wow had a great peak but built up subs over time they didnt start out with 4 , 5 million subs 

they built up to 14 million subs. Tor may well have a bigger launch then wow but they wont reach wows peak. I never heard them say reach wows peak.

Originally posted by kalinis

i dont think they are aiming for balance. they just dont care about facts. if u read half the posts of the people who blast fanbois they dotn care about facts at all in there arguments.

if you have read any of my threads there have been plenty of facts on both sides of the argument so thats a pretty generalized claim you are making