Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima VII now on GoG.com - Ancestor and best Open World RPG ever made!

ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

GoG.com trumped themself rereleasing the best of the Ultima games as fully complete edition.
Have a look what a great virtual rpg world fits into 28mb of ram - developers get a blushed face ashamed of their loss of knowledge and broad inability to offer such games today!

http://www.gog.com/

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

Comments

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

I owe you a beer for plugging a gap in my RPG gaming knowledge [Ultima VII]. I'm reading player reviews of a game that came out almost 20 years ago, and there are many aspects that are not realised in MMOGs today! A terrible indictment of MMOG gaming in many respects. 

This is one for my Christmas list. Heck! Even before Christmas as I have time off work, that I ostensibly put to use for studying and getting an assignment out of the way. Instead, I'll do some exercise [mountain-biking] and play Ultima VII.

Thanks for the head's up, Blutmaul! The game is simply a MUST from reading the reviews - especially as I played (but never completed) Ultima IV back in the day.

Cheers!

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

Its shocking someone would pay $50+ on an old game like ultima VII.  maybe $10, not $50.

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Eh...its 6 bucks you know?

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• XforsakerXXforsakerX Member UncommonPosts: 124

Originally posted by Blutmaul

Only 6 buck's ? lol

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    6142MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Antec Gaming Phenom
    Windows Vista™ Home Premium

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by XforsakerX

Originally posted by Blutmaul

Only 6 buck's ? lol

But like a lot of classic games, you may have difficulty getting it to even operate on a modern system.

8-bit blocky window WITH HUGE ALL CAPS COURIER LETTERS appears.  "Autodetect sound card?" Y "Sorry, Autodetect did not find any sound cards."

"Default: Try Soundblaster 8-bit compatible?" N

"Oh boy, are you screwed.  Sorry mate." :BSOD:

Not impossible, some classic games run pretty well on a Win7 system faking "ancient 286 system" mode, some are real nightmares.  It's a crapshoot.

For six bucks I'd assume it at least kinda-sorta works.

Heh, '92...we're at least up to stunning 16-bit graphics, anyway.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

One of the best RPGs of all time and definitely my favorite. I played the hell out of it when it first came out. The unfortunate thing is, unless you played it back in the day, you really don't get why it's such a great and important game in the genre. I still have my original copies on floppy disc including the boxes, cool cloth maps and stuff.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Ultima 1-4 is where the series ended for me

Wizardry 1-8 all good

Might & Magic 1-10 all fun

I guess I just like the party based RPG's much more

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Darkholme

One of the best RPGs of all time and definitely my favorite. I played the hell out of it when it first came out. The unfortunate thing is, unless you played it back in the day, you really don't get why it's such a great and important game in the genre. I still have my original copies on floppy disc including the boxes, cool cloth maps and stuff.

IV is still my favorite, but I didn't really see much of VII.  Too "old for games", I was Mr. Oh So Serious Getting Married Guy for a couple of years there.

Fortunately, it wore off eventually.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

oh , i dont agree with the op, in my opinion, Ultima : Ascension, (patched version ) was the best, imo.

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

I stopped at ultima VI, it started to get tedious so that was the last ultima I played.   played 2 - 6.  2 wasn't that good, 3 and 4 were really good, for the time.

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

6 $ cant go wrong!