Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think SWTOR would have made a better off-line game ( poll )

I played the bata for SWTOR. I liked many features, even the voice acting if it were a solo game, loved the classes, companion's, having your own ship. I'm not a big Star wars fan, but I like the game, but not as an mmo.

Would you like it as much as a stand alone off-line game.

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

What is this I don't even ...

No multiplayer content, no economy and noone to sell my stuff to, no world pvp, no drunken Scottish rambling over vent ...

Are you for real?

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Um no. Just no.

Is this for real?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I would never have played it if it was a single player game..

For me multi player games are soemthing you do together wih others.

Single player games is an anti social thing, i love to be with others.

They added all the good things of a single player game to the MMO genre, how could that single player experience evver be better?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

You lost me at "bata".

I like TOR as a MMO, because it adds the socialization, co-operative, and competitive elements to the game.

The ultimate would have been if TOR was a box sale with no monthly (supported through some other manner), but I don't mind paying monthly for a MMO if I am still having fun (especially as it keeps me from buying other games at that time).

• MckiedizMckiediz Member Posts: 48
    No.
    Beside Online gaming is the future. Most games will have online/more social features. BW seems to anticipate to the largest scale.

Originally posted by hubertgrove

Originally posted by DarkPony

No multiplayer content, no economy and noone to sell my stuff to, no world pvp, no drunken Scottish rambling over vent ...

Are you for real?

Don't harass him because he thinks of the game differently to you.

I personally wish they had given us a Kotor 3, 4, 5 6 etc rather than this lifeless, bland SRPG with clumsy networking features and, as the less positive previews from beta testers show, so do many others.

Stop hating, start appreciating. Also are you suggesting that a majority of previews are negative or did I misunderstand you?

p.s. I wasn't harassing.

It's simply the most redundant question I ever read in regards to Swtor: a game that was set out from the beginning to be a MMORPG.

Are you for real?

I personally wish they had given us a Kotor 3, 4, 5 6 etc rather than this lifeless, bland SRPG with clumsy networking features and, as the less positive previews from beta testers show, so do many others.

Doesn't sound like harassment to me. He's stating the mmo elements he iikes.

But, to be fair, this is quite a silly thing to be asking. The game is an MMO, there is no arguing or changing that at this point. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

weird nearly 30% said yes but not 1 single person posted on why they said yes,{mod edit}

To me,no it would not .simply put there is a lot of  multiplayer options running side by side with the solo content.

Also fact is you probably spent twice longer clearing to your objecive ifnot for players running around the area.

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

No because as an MMO there will be so many more content updates than a off-line game would provide. This way I can spend several years in the Star Wars universe.

Are you for real?

Stop hating, start appreciating. Also are you suggesting that a majority of previews are negative or did I misunderstand you?

p.s. I wasn't harassing.

It's simply the most redundant question I ever read in regards to Swtor: a game that was set out from the beginning to be a MMORPG.

Yes, you were harassing him - just as you jump on anyone who expresses doubts about this game. But, meh. That's what you do, let's move on.

I gave my opinion, and I might be a bit more vocal if the question or topic is really "redundant" (which would be the most kind way to say it).

While the gajme might have been intended to be an mmorpg, Bioware's absolute lack of experience in MMORPG dynamics and EA intention to bring out the cheapeast possible game for the most possible money, suggests that this game would have been more playable as an SRPG.

The problem is that THIS game couldn't have been anything else than what it is: a MMORPG!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Simple answer, yes. It has no bussiness being an MMORPG, possibly a lobby based multiplayer game like Diablo but I dont see anything in this game which is suited for a persistant world.

But same could be said about MMORPGs like AoC and many other themeparks. Themeparks is basically turning a single player game into an MMORPG, or vice versa. It is fundamentally not suited for MMORPG environment with all the instances, single player quests/storylines etc. Heck even Skyrim feels more like a persistant MMORPG world than these Themeparks.

Hmmm. Persistent world. SWTOR has that. 

Persistent world with thousands of players all sharing the same game world. SWTOR has that.

How is it a single player RPG and not an MMORPG again?

What part of the definition of MMORPG does this game not fit?

I'll be holding my breath until I get a reasoned answer starting now...

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by dubyahite

Persistent world with thousands of players all sharing the same game world. SWTOR has that.

R.I.P ;)

• Dave3216Dave3216 Member Posts: 133

Yes it would of been an awesome SPG as it stands its  a solid mmo, i like the story the most.

Originally posted by Yamota

Simple answer, yes. It has no bussiness being an MMORPG, possibly a lobby based multiplayer game like Diablo but I dont see anything in this game which is suited for a persistant world.

But same could be said about MMORPGs like AoC and many other themeparks. Themeparks is basically turning a single player game into an MMORPG, or vice versa. It is fundamentally not suited for MMORPG environment with all the instances, single player quests/storylines etc. Heck even Skyrim feels more like a persistant MMORPG world than these Themeparks.

Nicely put.From some angles, SWTOR is the diametric opposite of an MMORPG.

You are forced to play not your own story but a story pre-chosen for you.

That story is selected when you choose your character.

That story does offer you a variety of choices but the choices, it seems, are only one of three kinds. GOOD, BAD and NEUTRAL. Those decisions do NOT CHANGE the story. They just take you through it. If you wish to leave the story, you can't.

This is not a voyage of exploration into new landscapes and new varieties of experience - such as even a game like WoW is. Instead, SWTOR is a game on rails where you can't leave the shuttle bus.

In my opinion this ensures it would have been a better SPRPG than how it is being currently marketed - at a higher price - as an MMORPG.

I'll just use this from Wikipedia, I know it's not the be all end all of information, but it's hard to argue that this definition doesn't fit  

"Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of role-playing video games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual game world.

As in all RPGs, players assume the role of a character (often in a fantasy world) and take control over many of that character's actions. MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world (usually hosted by the game's publisher), which continues to exist and evolve while the player is offline and away from the game."

What part of this is SWTOR diametricly opposed to. 

You can say all you want about the story, but none of that contradicts the basic definition of an MMORPG. A role playing game that uses a persistent world to allow many players to play together at the same time.

It's obviously not single player as many thousands of people play together at the same time. Its obviously not a coop rpg because it has a persistent world that is on a central server that everyone shares.

Again I'll ask, what part of this definition does SWTOR violate?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Are you for real? 

p.s. I wasn't harassing.

Yes, you were harassing him - just as you jump on anyone who expresses doubts about this game. But, meh. That's what you do, let's move on.

While the gajme might have been intended to be an mmorpg, Bioware's absolute lack of experience in MMORPG dynamics and EA intention to bring out the cheapeast possible game for the most possible money, suggests that this game would have been more playable as an SRPG.

Actually hubertgrove, you seem to be the one harassing people.  The Opening Post ASKED for responses and then you got all aggressive when someone answered him in a way you didn't like because you agree with the OP.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

This discussion boils down to the same old bias from the detractors:

Swtor replaces the boring grinding and generic questing from the cookie cutter themepark formula with voice overs, meaningfull story, choice and alignment and people start lining up to dismiss it as a sp-rpg.

*wonders when people will get it in their heads that SWTOR is ADDING something to the RPG bit, rather than taking something away from the MMO aspect of the typical themepark formula*

Dude, I don't think you know what a persistent world is.

A persistent game world is one which you can change - and the changes persist. So, for example, if you drop a block of wood in a forest, when you come back, the block is still there.

In SWTOR, you can't pick up or put down anything. You can't even sit down in a chair.

First of all, you can sit in a chair now. So you can stop spreading that lie right now. 

Second persistent doesn't mean that it can be changed, it means that it is still there when you log off.  I think you don't know what persistent means. 

Persistent means it persists, it continues, it doesn't go away.  The world doesn't dissapear just because I log off. That's all it means.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by hercules

weird nearly 30% said yes but not 1 single person posted on why they said yes,{mod edit}

To me,no it would not .simply put there is a lot of  multiplayer options running side by side with the solo content.

Also fact is you probably spent twice longer clearing to your objecive ifnot for players running around the area.

Lol, I do believe most people would rather JUST answer the polls on this forum then leave an answer, the vultures good or bad have a tendency to swarm in on anything they don't agree with , good or bad.

No, I don't believe it would have made a btter off -line game. Sure , I would be happy if they made another KOTOR off  line game, but this was billed to be an mmorpg , and I was happy to hear it from the start. I am going to happy to share a star wars universe with a few thousand other players on whatever server I choose. I really believe people that play MMO's like a single player game are missing out and have to be living in some kind of self-involved world, just waiting to scream ,look what "I" did, so everyone can see, I don't believe that's why they started making mmo's, or the way it was ever intended.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

An SPG with a Facbook-type connection for the community aspect would have been a much better option, since ressources spent on the MMO part could have gone to making a better SPG, IMO.

Originally posted by Yamota

"Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of role-playing video games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual game world.

As in all RPGs, players assume the role of a character (often in a fantasy world) and take control over many of that character's actions. MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world (usually hosted by the game's publisher), which continues to exist and evolve while the player is offline and away from the game."

What part of this is SWTOR diametricly opposed to. 

You can say all you want about the story, but none of that contradicts the basic definition of an MMORPG. A role playing game that uses a persistent world to allow many players to play together at the same time.

It's obviously not single player as many thousands of people play together at the same time. Its obviously not a coop rpg because it has a persistent world that is on a central server that everyone shares.

Again I'll ask, what part of this definition does SWTOR violate?

Dude, you seem to think that every game that has many people together in the same zone is an MMOPRG.  That's not so. For example, they can be SRPG's with netwoking features, like Diablo.

I didn't say that at all.  Diablo isn't an MMO because it doesn't have a persistent world.  Here I'll get you the definition of persistent

Definition of PERSISTENT

: existing for a long or longer than usual time or continuously: as

a : retained beyond the usual period <a persistent leaf>

b : continuing without change in function or structure <persistent gills>

c : effective in the open for an appreciable time usually through slow volatilizing <mustard gas is persistent>

d : degraded only slowly by the environment <persistent pesticides>

e : remaining infective for a relatively long time in a vector after an initial period of incubation <persistent viruses>

a : continuing or inclined to persist in a course(see persist)

b : continuing to exist despite interference or treatment <a persistent cough> <has been in a persistent vegetative state for two years>

— per·sis·tent·ly adverb

Notice that it doesn't say anything about the fact that something has to change to be persistent. In fact, it says quite the opposite in definition b.  Interesting.

I don't think it's an MMO because there are multiple players. I think it's an MMO because one server houses a massive amount of players....massive, and because thos players are playing on a persistent world. 

SWTOR fits ALL of the criteria to be an MMO. You have yet to provide any evidence that it doesn't. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• LaucianNailorLaucianNailor Member UncommonPosts: 49

Poll is a bit misleading to be honest.

Your header is 'would it be better' - my answer is no (more later)

Your poll states a different question 'Would it be just as good' - my answer is yes, it would also be good. I've played KoTOR 1 & 2 and would enjoy a 3+ and the stories in ToR would fit well with a solo game.

I've played through the last beta weekend in a group of 3 (linked on Vent) and it was a great experience. I'm waiting a new headset, so listened and communicated via the party text in game. We ran our class quests solo of course, but grouped on others. We had some great banter due to the conversation choices (as we all went Republic and I played 'light' against the other two's mostly 'dark'). We played heroic content, flashpoints etc and can honestly say we had a fun time.

None of this would have been possible never mind as enjoyable on an offline single player game. Hence no to your topic header question.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

This discussion boils down to the same old bias from the detractors:

Swtor replaces the boring grinding and generic questing from the cookie cutter themepark formula with voice overs, meaningfull story, choice and alignment and people start lining up to dismiss it as a sp-rpg.

*wonders when people will get it in their heads that SWTOR is ADDING something to the RPG bit, rather than taking something away from the MMO aspect of the typical themepark formula*

Listen to the frickin' Pony. MMORPGs are still RPGs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistent_world

A persistent world (PW) is a virtual world that continues to exist even after a user exits the world and that user-made changes to its state are, to some extent, permanent.[1][2] The term is frequently used in the definition of the massively multiplayer online video games and can be considered synonymous with that class of games,[3] including other narrative forms of a media franchise.

The persistence comes from maintaining and developing a single or dynamic instance state of the world in the game around the clock shared and viewed by all players. Quite unlike other types of games, the plot and events in a single permainstance world game continue to develop even while some of the players are not playing their characters. That aspect is similar to the real world where events do occur regardless if they are directly or indirectly related to a person, as they continue to happen while a person is asleep, etc. Conversely, a player's character can also influence and change a persistent world. The degree to which a character affects a world varies from game to game. Since the game does not pause or create player-accessible back-up files, a character's actions will have consequences that the player must deal with.

Yeah. SWTOR has that. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

This thread baffles me, but that happens alot sooo...,

I voted no because the game mechanics woould be so much different you wouldnt be able to tell the games apart besides from the cosmetics.  Thats the only thing I could come up with though so I was leaning to yes most of the time.

Basically it would be an entirely different game from zones in the game world, to the storys, everthing literally would be different, there for it would be an entirely different game and that makes this discussion  moot since you cant compare the two in any way. its like apples and oranges.

People bring up stuf that doesnt need to be brought up in life mostly for there own self amusement and satisfaction. This topic is one of them, who would think enough to bring up a topic about a game that has been deveolped for 7 years in this great mmorpg site we have that it all of a sudden isnt a mmo anymore and has nothing to do with what this site even is here for in the first place.  Now brining this up on some crazy site that that has nothing to do with mmorpgs, yea maybee, but here? cmon, its beyond naive, anyway thats how I feel about it.