Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Choose Your Side: Imperial Agent vs. Jedi Consular

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the latest Choose Your Side video, the Star Wars: The Old Republic team discusses the merits and strengths of the Imperial Agent and the Jedi Consular. Which one will you choose

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GlokyczeGlokycze Member Posts: 9

By the look of the agents hp during duel, hes got no chance

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Originally posted by Glokycze

Funny thing is I was thinking the same. 

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Thats were all the money goes.Bombarding with advertisment for average products.

• Originally posted by Zefire

Thats were all the money goes.Bombarding with advertisment for average products.

Oh ya, because setting up a camera to do four interviews with your employees and then editing it together with gameplay/music costs soooo much money.

Bioware likely employes one maybe two people to write, shoot and edit these pieces.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Originally posted by Zefire

That's the ol' MMORPG way.. Bring the hate wherever it's needed.. That'll show em!

I mean, what was the point of the blatant call for war? Anyway..

Looking at the tree's, I'd say this would fall (just like the rest of the matchups) to which advance class was chosen.. If it was a sniper vs. a sage, then I would think it would probably be an even fight.. If it was a shadow vs. an operative it would again be an even fight.. A sniper vs. a shadow would probably be in the shadows favor (with the ability to close in on and surprise the sniper) and an operative would probably get the jump on a sage..

But of course in a team situation (which it will almost always be) it will take more then simple matchups to win..

All in all, while I like the matchup, the staff debate was pretty boring unlike the ones we've seen in the past..

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Glokycze

He only needs two good volleys to drop that Consular, looks can be deceiving, which is very appropriate in the case of the IA.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I have been planing to play a JC all threw beta. IA will cry when they see me coming.
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

1 word:

SKILL

who cares who will win, more skilled players using any character will always win, nuff said

So What Now?

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I choose neither, largely because the character creation in the game doesn't make me want to stick around long enough to care who would win in any fight.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

roflmao, what skill it's just mindless keyboard smashing nuff said

• Narcin1Narcin1 Member Posts: 145

Originally posted by Czanrei

I choose neither, largely because the character creation in the game doesn't make me want to stick around long enough to care who would win in any fight.

So...Character creation isn't what you want it to be...so you won't play a game for its content? Go play Aion or something, then, and stop posting your nonsense on TOR. 

Argh

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

Enjoyed the game cinematics. Enjoyed the beta. I have pre-ordered the DDE. I will play early access. If you do not like it then why hang around? Forums are like standing in the street and shouting. So I am yelling I like what I see. Others are yelling they don't like what they see. Freedom of speech. A couple of million of we gamers will buy and play SWTOR. Others won't. My complaints will go to Bioware for consideration unaccompanied by emotional hatemongering.

To the guy across the street yelling hate - KMA.

• MithoronetteMithoronette Member UncommonPosts: 107

I played the IA sniper in one beta and had a lot of fun with it.  I as surprised when in the first flashpoint (Black Talon) she got a 1000+ crit on a boss with her ambush...which is the highest crit any of my characters had at that level.  It's a long-ranged DPS class...so you have to make sure you're far enough away to take down an opponent before they get into melee range.  That being said, higher up the tree there are shortranged knockback and stun skills, as well as a few damage skills for short ranged, that keep you viable.

Did not get to play the Republic classes.

I enjoyed the game, will play it, when it's no longer fun, will quit, the same as any MMO.  It may be a few weeks, months, or years, who knows.  Don't care about the hate or the love, just playing to have fun with my friends and this is the current medium to do that in...

• MegaTommyMegaTommy Member UncommonPosts: 31

IA will most likely win if the Consular is not expecting him, and he can plan an ambush.

However, in any other situation, the Consular has the upper hand.

I'm a dude. I do stuff.

• DMTalchemistDMTalchemist Member Posts: 23

The cover mechanic for IA soaks up a ton of dmg from bosses while the JC just eats dicks and dies fast. In a dueling situation u can holographic cover infront of their faces thorw a stun grenade and by the time they recover from stun their dead. Did it and seen it done so many times in all the beta builds.

They dumbed down all the force classes so much it hurts. The only use for force classes is healing, and if u wanted to stretch it, the sith assassin would probably be your best bet. Otherwise u'll get pwned by non force users all day. Unless ofcourse your outgeared, or lower level. As much as gear isn't supposed to make a difference...lol it does A LOT.

Oh yeah and Vibro knives are OP :

"LOL"

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Tough call really.

The IA does do a ton of dmg when playing to his strengths and has enough utility to pull himself out of simpler scrapes. Once folks take notice of the agent they get burned down quick though. That vibro knife both hurts and is demoralizing =(

Consulars are another matter entirely though... Specced right you have a beast equipped with dots, dd, and crit capabilities who melt faces (plural). With enough defense to stand under simple onslaughts and along with kb's and stuns.

I'd give it to the IA all day if the Consular didn't know he was there.

Open field, one on one duel ? Probably the Consular.

That's my opinion though.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

from what i seen of beta it will be an IA victory if its group pvp

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Good thing they didn't choose operative vs consular.

Stealth, 3 shot, run to next victim ... doesn't make for an exciting match up :)

You stay sassy!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Originally posted by therginslurg

roflmao, what skill it's just mindless keyboard smashing nuff said

Do people even believe the bs that comes out of their head?

No person anywhere would actually agree that random button mashing would win in any fight over carefully choosing your power usage.

Stop trying to act cool ... you only sound like an idiot.

You stay sassy!

• ripdogripdog Member Posts: 2

They sound like a console player... wait same thing

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228

Originally posted by Tamanous

Good thing they didn't choose operative vs consular.

Stealth, 3 shot, run to next victim ... doesn't make for an exciting match up :)

Funny you mention that, I told my friend that same thing. I played a OP back in August, go him to 43 and he just trashed everything in PvP. On release I will be playing the Scoundrel since my guild will be going republic however I expect the same outcome. 

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I wish they'd release information on something other than the classes. I'm interested in this game but I only ever read maybe 1 out of 10 news items about it because they all seem to just be about the different classes found in the game. I've known about these for going on two years now and am a lot more interested in the planets, cities, crafting, or even more about the companions. Really, anything but these considering how they are the same sort of classes found in any other MMORPG out there.

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

Still not feeling it. EA won't get another dime from me. I don't care if they hire Tabula Rasa devs and call the new studio Bioware. The best indicator of a games success before launch is how many people say "I'm just playing it until something better comes out". The majority of people I know that are picking this up say "I just want something to play until GW2 is out".

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228

Originally posted by MrBoots

Still not feeling it. EA won't get another dime from me. I don't care if they hire Tabula Rasa devs and call the new studio Bioware. The best indicator of a games success before launch is how many people say "I'm just playing it until something better comes out". The majority of people I know that are picking this up say "I just want something to play until GW2 is out".

I have been in the beta for over 6 months, let me be honest with you when I say that SWTOR is going to be hard to surpass with most other games. Bioware has the ability to turn SWTOR into the next big thing and that is exactly what they are striving to do. Every patch in beta has improved the game 10x (with the exception of some of them being horrible but we all get a free tick right?) as far as play, things to do while leveling up, PvP (this is a huge one for me) and things to do at max level.

A lot of people will complain about SWTOR because they observe that it has potential to become a very big thing in the MMO industry. Game of the past like Asheron's Call, Ever Quest, Anarchy Online are just that, in the past, they do not bring in a large player base that can become a cash cow. Whether you want to believe it or not MMO companies are businesses that are trying to make a quick and long term buck. The Model that WoW, L2, WAR, AoC, LoTRO have been going is how you make money in the MMO industry. Even though you have people saying that SWTOR is not next gen, all they are doing is fooling themself.

No auto attack

Companion system that responds extremly well to user controls

PvP combat that isn't dull or boring 3 second battles and a winner is decided based on the gear they posses

The crafting system is un-surpassed, the only game that comes close to it IMO is Horizons

Story mission quests

Grouping (holy hell I have a reason to be in a group leveling with my guildies!)

Dark side and Light side option

This is a small list of some of the things new and fresh Bioware is brining to SWTOR and again it is a small list that I thought of on the fly it goes on and on. So whether Bioware is backed by the horrific company such as EA, this product still is an amazing product that will stick around for the expect 5-8 years that a mmo will typically last. 

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

At level 22 I hit a Shadow in pvp for 981 damage, crit ambush :D  That'll teach him to try and kill my friends :)  I love ambush, laze target, snipe :)