Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do i think Swtor is really really that bad?

Well i will tell you why, because when Bioware announced they will make their first mmo, and this even though they have now EA behind and probably screwing very hard with this company whatever both end of the stick are saying, we all know Bioware is more the old EA team than the Bioware team. But let put this aside and pretend Bioware is still the good old day Bioware we are all loving.

Well its pretty simple i was sure, like 100% sure, that those guys were really smart, and when they began to say they will have the story be at the forefront of their 1r mmo, i was like damn it, it will be very good, because it will fix the biggest "problems" mmo have, which is the lack of role playing content. You know the kind of stuff like stealing for exemple. You know you play this bad ass Sith that like to torture people, do the real bad things that annoy everyone like stealing for example. The kind of things no modern mmo can really have because some players will exploit the f... of it. I was like, damn the usual Bioware story will really make your character feel like he is doing what he is supposed to do, and not what the mmo mold force it to do. You are a jedi and want to have some finger into politics, the story will let you just do that if you go into that branch of the story. You want to be this really stealthy Sith that always stay under cover in the Jedi academy (i stretch it just for the heck of it), well the story will have something for you. And so on and so on, i hope people get what i mean here. i really though the story would give the tools the mmo genre lacked all those years, the tools to have a character that really is what he is supposed to be in a grand Ip like SW.

But you know what, we got nothing of this, story is nothing more than some stupid "get 10 rats" or fed ex quest line, they offer nothing of what some hero from the Star war universe are supposed to do in one of the LA film, or at least you don't feel as it at all. They simply are not a tool to describe something huge happening around your character, they are just an other mmo tool, in fact everything in this game feel like an other mmo tool, just superficial and tasteless. Even with that of a strong universe as SW, you just never feel the force behind. What a shame. I think that's one of the strongest reason i really dislike this game, not for what he is, but for what it will never be and was supposed to be in my mind at least. Swtor didn't put back the rpg in our mmo, what a shame! NWN was just so much better from this point of view. And i think the worst is that in fact they never even wanted to do that, they just wanted to do an other mmo ala wow. Now tell me Bioware is still where it should be? i won't believe you, it just can't be.

Comments

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

*YAWN!*  You don't like it for whatever reason.  Misrepresenting things to make you points look better.  Actually seem to be upset because the game is what the Developers SAID it would be and not what you WANTED it to be.  Got it.  Moving on now.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

You haven't even played the full storylines.  You're just fabricating nonsense.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by Requiamer

do the real bad things that annoy everyone like stealing for example. The kind of things no modern mmo can really have because some players will exploit the f... of it. I was like, damn the usual Bioware story will really make your character feel like he is doing what he is supposed to do, and not what the mmo mold force it to do. You are a jedi and want to have some finger into politics, the story will let you just do that if you go into that branch of the story. You want to be this really stealthy Sith that always stay under cover in the Jedi academy (i stretch it just for the heck of it), well the story will have something for you. And so on and so on, i hope people get what i mean here. i really though the story would give the tools the mmo genre lacked all those years, the tools to have a character that really is what he is supposed to be in a grand Ip like SW.

Doing mundane tasks like stealing, playing with politics, and being incredibly stealthy and sneaky are not Heroic! Just like playing a Rodian, Nautolan, or any other awesome alien with plenty of NPCs you'll be interacting with throughout the game. Aliens are not Heroic!

SWTOR is restricted to its "Heroic" Storyline, and all of these (I'll say sandboxy) tasks you speak of are not included, because Heroes don't do that crap ;) (This is not play whoever you want, its play Heroic). Seriously, the entire structure of this game is based on being Heroic, and lots of decisions to cut content was based on that. I'll stop saying Heroic now :)

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

"I think that's one of the strongest reason i really dislike this game, not for what he is, but for what it will never be and was supposed to be in my mind at least."

No game could ever be what you imagine it could be in your mind - you'll always be disappointed. SWTOR however is a fantastic game with huge future potential and was exactly as I thought it would be because I read from Bioware what the game would be - not from my minds eye :)

Cya at launch!

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• nixvaldeznixvaldez Member Posts: 14

this is not a MMO cuz it focus to much on story line i dont WoW

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Originally posted by nixvaldez

I am not going to correct any English here as I suspect it isn't a native language. That said, it IS a MMO. Massively Multiplayer Online...lots of people all all time in (generally) persistent worlds. If you don't like the storyline 'hook' or games which remind you of WoW, that's fine. But it is most definitely an MMO.

Quoting this to make sure the original is displayed, in the case it is edited to make sense image

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

So OP wanted Bioware to make a sandbox game?

And was confused when they didn't?

What?

Originally posted by Digna

I am not going to correct any English here as I suspect it isn't a native language. That said, it IS a MMO. Massively Multiplayer Online...lots of people all all time in (generally) persistent worlds. If you don't like the storyline 'hook' or games which remind you of WoW, that's fine. But it is most definitely an MMO.

I'll go with drunk or mind altered substance, based on their profile location ruling out another language.

• nixvaldeznixvaldez Member Posts: 14
    Haha just noticed the errors. To lazy to back and edit. No drugs lol. Just sleepy 3:57am sorry guys. But this game is to focused on one player played the beta on nov 11 an I can almost everything on my own

Haha just noticed the errors. To lazy to back and edit. No drugs lol. Just sleepy 3:57am sorry guys. But this game is to focused on one player played the beta on nov 11 an I can almost everything on my own

strongly disagree.

What level did you get to where you thought you could do everything on your own?

Level 10?

Thats about where every game makes you solo up to.  

I played with my roomie up to level 15 all the way from level 1, was very enjoyable, best co-op experience in a game i've ever had.

Can't wait for launch to do it with both roomies.  :-D

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I can almost everything on my own

Cool. My mum cans too. Nothing in the garden is safe from her;

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by DarkPony

I can almost everything on my own

LMAO

Originally posted by DarkPony

And luls were had.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Not sure what you expected at the early levels.

"Go out there level 1 and win this war for us!"

I did the last tutorial mission at level 10 and it felt like having some influence - like really being part of the story. After that (without spoiling details here) I joined a group instance with 3 other people and this nice kind of co-op reminded me of the old 4 player classic Phantasy Star Online.

I especially liked lotting for dialogues in a party. It gave me some good insight of who I am really partying with and kept the dialogues with the npcs quite interesting.

Harbinger of Fools
  • RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by eluldor

do the real bad things that annoy everyone like stealing for example. The kind of things no modern mmo can really have because some players will exploit the f... of it. I was like, damn the usual Bioware story will really make your character feel like he is doing what he is supposed to do, and not what the mmo mold force it to do. You are a jedi and want to have some finger into politics, the story will let you just do that if you go into that branch of the story. You want to be this really stealthy Sith that always stay under cover in the Jedi academy (i stretch it just for the heck of it), well the story will have something for you. And so on and so on, i hope people get what i mean here. i really though the story would give the tools the mmo genre lacked all those years, the tools to have a character that really is what he is supposed to be in a grand Ip like SW.

Doing mundane tasks like stealing, playing with politics, and being incredibly stealthy and sneaky are not Heroic! Just like playing a Rodian, Nautolan, or any other awesome alien with plenty of NPCs you'll be interacting with throughout the game. Aliens are not Heroic!

SWTOR is restricted to its "Heroic" Storyline, and all of these (I'll say sandboxy) tasks you speak of are not included, because Heroes don't do that crap ;) (This is not play whoever you want, its play Heroic). Seriously, the entire structure of this game is based on being Heroic, and lots of decisions to cut content was based on that. I'll stop saying Heroic now :)

Hey all the stuff the heros from SW are doing, mundane or whatever you call it isn't important, it's what they did in the films and books, if it is not heroic to you it seam heroic enough for them at least.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Dakeru

Not sure what you expected at the early levels.

"Go out there level 1 and win this war for us!"

I did the last tutorial mission at level 10 and it felt like having some influence - like really being part of the story. After that (without spoiling details here) I joined a group instance with 3 other people and this nice kind of co-op reminded me of the old 4 player classic Phantasy Star Online.

I especially liked lotting for dialogues in a party. It gave me some good insight of who I am really partying with and kept the dialogues with the npcs quite interesting.

I agree, the teaming up was fun, though I didn't just stick to the flashpoints for teaming.  Seems a waste to only team up in an MMO when you absolutely have to.  I guess if that is your play style, then cool, but it isn't mine.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Actually that kinda made sense to me.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by Metentso

Actually that kinda made sense to me.

Drugs are bad people :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Draemos

You haven't even played the full storylines.  You're just fabricating nonsense.

By the way... just thought I would add that fabrication goes very well with Synthweaving... 

Just saying...

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

The smuggler does smuggle. You would know that if you actually played some of the storyline.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Starpower

The smuggler does smuggle. You would know that if you actually played some of the storyline.

So you feel like a smuggler when playing? not even close you are just a dps, am I right? So what was the point of the story? was it made just to pass the time, or to put something in place?

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Well i will tell you why, because when Bioware announced they will make their first mmo, and this even though they have now EA behind and probably screwing very hard with this company whatever both end of the stick are saying, we all know Bioware is more the old EA team than the Bioware team. But let put this aside and pretend Bioware is still the good old day Bioware we are all loving.

Well its pretty simple i was sure, like 100% sure, that those guys were really smart, and when they began to say they will have the story be at the forefront of their 1r mmo, i was like damn it, it will be very good, because it will fix the biggest "problems" mmo have, which is the lack of role playing content. You know the kind of stuff like stealing for exemple. You know you play this bad ass Sith that like to torture people, do the real bad things that annoy everyone like stealing for example. The kind of things no modern mmo can really have because some players will exploit the f... of it. I was like, damn the usual Bioware story will really make your character feel like he is doing what he is supposed to do, and not what the mmo mold force it to do. You are a jedi and want to have some finger into politics, the story will let you just do that if you go into that branch of the story. You want to be this really stealthy Sith that always stay under cover in the Jedi academy (i stretch it just for the heck of it), well the story will have something for you. And so on and so on, i hope people get what i mean here. i really though the story would give the tools the mmo genre lacked all those years, the tools to have a character that really is what he is supposed to be in a grand Ip like SW.

But you know what, we got nothing of this, story is nothing more than some stupid "get 10 rats" or fed ex quest line, they offer nothing of what some hero from the Star war universe are supposed to do in one of the LA film, or at least you don't feel as it at all. They simply are not a tool to describe something huge happening around your character, they are just an other mmo tool, in fact everything in this game feel like an other mmo tool, just superficial and tasteless. Even with that of a strong universe as SW, you just never feel the force behind. What a shame. I think that's one of the strongest reason i really dislike this game, not for what he is, but for what it will never be and was supposed to be in my mind at least. Swtor didn't put back the rpg in our mmo, what a shame! NWN was just so much better from this point of view. And i think the worst is that in fact they never even wanted to do that, they just wanted to do an other mmo ala wow. Now tell me Bioware is still where it should be? i won't believe you, it just can't be.

Wall of Text, HITS YOU for 1000 damage!

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

this game is to focused on one player played the beta on nov 11 an I can almost everything on my own

I was surprised so many group quests there was. Like 3-4 on the first planet.

Then when you have to get to next planet its impossible to do the battles on the spaceship alone.

I dont know any other MMO where you have to group this much before level 12?

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Sounds to me that the OP is pissed that BW didnt make SWG2. 

It has been stated for ages exactly what this game will and will not be. If you dont like that, play another game

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom