Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GamePro bad opinion on SWTOR

Comments

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Originally posted by marganculos

now this video is perfect example of trolls... paid trollers.. >.<

I know one thing I will never read a review from any of those guys, If I see them on any site I will smear there image with this video to get them fired.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Wanna know those that dont like tor look for the ones that took that vidoe as proof tors a bad game. 

wow talk about gullable This video is a joke the entier link was to a story of a guy ripping the video. Read the story it tells u all u need to know about his video.

This game is enjoyable and engaging early. It sucked me in and most of the players i saw in beta got sucked in also. 

The whole video is one hilarious what the heck are u talking about laugh for me.

90 pct of what they talked about was just plain uninformed.

I have NEVER seen a game get a score of 1 out of 10, there is not way in hell swtor should get a score like that, even the most shitty games get at least a 3 of 10 for effort, that score and how they keep referring back to Blizzard's WoW if proof of a major pay off to those jobless bums, I hope no one in gaming hires those fools after a stunt like this.

Shame on Blizzard for stooping to that level, I hope more then ever now that Blizzard loses like 8, million subs and there stocks drop to nothing for being a greedy ass cut throat company.

• PunkrePunkre Member Posts: 92

I love the people who claim that you either hate it or your a "fanboi"

No, there is a 3rd option: I like the game, but it does need work, heck check out the swtor main site forums and you will see that a large amount of people already want some improvements in the game (UI, combat mechanics, etc.) but they still over all like the game and will probably buy it.

The reason that a large group of people seem to think that this site is over run with swtor haters is easily going to be the fact that soo many sandbox MMO players seems to flock to this site, or at least they seem to be the most vocal.

Also this idea that "the world should tell a story, not force fed to you." is utter crap, have you seen the worlds in swtor? Koriban tells a story in its self about the original Sith empire, Dorum Kass tells you the story about how the Sith evolved over the years into a totalitarian state that feels like Nazi Germany in space, almost every world is like this. And for those of you that say that the worlds are too linear, you clearly havnt gotten to tatoonie, where their are large areas of desert to explore (which is why they give you a speeder bike at this point in the game.) and the City planets might be narrow paths, but they have many options on those paths and make you feel like their is more to the planet you cant see.

Hell even the swtor haters wouldn't give this game a 1 of 10 lol.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Punkre

I love the people who claim that you either hate it or your a "fanboi"

No, there is a 3rd option: I like the game, but it does need work, heck check out the swtor main site forums and you will see that a large amount of people already want some improvements in the game (UI, combat mechanics, etc.) but they still over all like the game and will probably buy it.

The reason that a large group of people seem to think that this site is over run with swtor haters is easily going to be the fact that soo many sandbox MMO players seems to flock to this site, or at least they seem to be the most vocal.

Also this idea that "the world should tell a story, not force fed to you." is utter crap, have you seen the worlds in swtor? Koriban tells a story in its self about the original Sith empire, Dorum Kass tells you the story about how the Sith evolved over the years into a totalitarian state that feels like Nazi Germany in space, almost every world is like this. And for those of you that say that the worlds are too linear, you clearly havnt gotten to tatoonie, where their are large areas of desert to explore (which is why they give you a speeder bike at this point in the game.) and the City planets might be narrow paths, but they have many options on those paths and make you feel like their is more to the planet you cant see.

Actually there is a 4th option. People like me who wont be buying it but wish it all the luck so people who do like it can enjoy it for years to come.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I made it about 1min into the video and stopped it. I think my game IQ dropped into the negative in that time. Horrible. Just horrible.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

I am actually one of those people who had no intention of buying the game because I thought it would be like playing a single player game with an MMO format. I got in the stress test beta this last weekend and found I really enjoyed the game. I still think it is somewhat like playing a single player game within an MMO shell, I thought the game was very well constructed with only a few minor flaws in the pvp battleground instances. The game is definately not my ideal, however, because there is nothing else out there at the moment and GW2 is at least months away from release I went ahead and bought the game.

For what the game is I would personally score the game 9 out of 10 myself. I did not find any bugs and the gameplay flowed smoothly with a good sense of atmosphere and it is designed in such a way as to draw you into the world and give that general feeling of immersion which grows on you the longer you play.

The game is definately not for everyone but I think it gives enough value to justify the money I spent on it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by MindTrigger

This is more along the lines of my thinking.  One of the most interesting comments I read from The Secret World previews recently was "The world is the story".  If your game world is rich, alive and meaningful, and gameplay is thrilling, it will tell you a story in itself.

To me it feels like Bioware used the VO quests to force-feed me a story/adventure, rather than let me create my own and experience the game world.  This creates the most linear and controlled MMO experience of all time.  KOTOR Online, indeed.

That may be the case, but (there's always a but), to some that is fine. I prefer open-ended experiences, like SWG as an example. However I can also enjoy another approach. It may not last for as long, I may grow bored fairly quickly depending on circumstance. As long as the ride was fun until that point, I will feel fine.

Sometimes I feel like many expect all games to be made the same way. To me that would be far worse than having options in experiencing different forms of gaming and seeing different aproaches to design. I don't want to see every game taking the form of the sandbox or the themepark. I also don't want every game going in an action oriented route. There's room for many different types of games, IMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Sums up my feelings really.

I feel like I played this game already 7 years ago and it was called WoW. All they've added that WoW doesn't have is long boring cutscenes that annoy me because this is a game, not a movie and I want to play the story. I don't know any one who watches game cutscenes, always just skip them and you cannot skip them in this game. For that to be added it has a lot less than WoW too, the quests feel very basic, the combat feels clunky and the classes are very boring to play. Then there are features I wanted from older games which no one is doing any more like a real in depth character creation or a skill based system instead of boring linear classes.

I was bored of WoW many years ago and just don't want to play another WoW clone. All we've had since WoW is clones and I expected something better from Bioware and they've just given me another AoC, WAR or LotRO.

I know I'll get flamed because there will be people trying to defend it, however I've got 4 real life friends who were excited for the game, come beta none of them will buy the game when it launches. I hear the same opinion from most people... this game is WoW and just bored of the dated gameplay. 

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by tixylix

Sums up my feelings really.

I feel like I played this game already 7 years ago and it was called WoW. All they've added that WoW doesn't have is long boring cutscenes that annoy me because this is a game, not a movie and I want to play the story. I don't know any one who watches game cutscenes, always just skip them and you cannot skip them in this game. For that to be added it has a lot less than WoW too, the quests feel very basic, the combat feels clunky and the classes are very boring to play. Then there are features I wanted from older games which no one is doing any more like a real in depth character creation or a skill based system instead of boring linear classes.

I was bored of WoW many years ago and just don't want to play another WoW clone. All we've had since WoW is clones and I expected something better from Bioware and they've just given me another AoC, WAR or LotRO.

I know I'll get flamed because there will be people trying to defend it, however I've got 4 real life friends who were excited for the game, come beta none of them will buy the game when it launches. I hear the same opinion from most people... this game is WoW and just bored of the dated gameplay. 

Where to begin? I'm not going to rip you up, theres room for your negative impression of the game as much as there is room for a fanboi's. I will however point out the glaring flaws in your first post.

1. This is not World of Warcraft , there are distinct difference between the two games.

A. No auto attack

B. Companions

C. Equipment is based on mod's, which can be interchanged.

D. Social points

E. Storyline based dungeon experiences

F. Crew Skills

G. Player Housing in the form of a Ship

H. Space shooter based quests. While limited it still is not in WoW.

I.  Major Storylines for every class

J. Huttball ( Yes it counts )

-----

I'm sure there are a plethora more that I am missing, but this game isn't even launched yet... who knows whats coming in the next six months.

2. You can skip cutscenes ,  stating you can't almost screams that you have little to no experience with the game.

3. The quests are basic is personal preference,  its almost contestable due to every quest having a voice over. Most quests have backstory and generally give the player a moral choice to make while on it. WoW does not have this at all for its general questing.

4. Combat is far from clunky , its actually a fluid experience. I assume your basing your judgement on the combat on below level ten character with limited skills to use. I'm sure its a shock ... but  you get more after level ten, tons more.

The rest of your post is subjective, so I won't argue any of it. Suffice it to say ,  if you're going to come into a games forums and regurgitate your impressions, atleast have a leg of experience to stand on.

I guess I kinda did rip your post apart , sorry , I just generally have issues with ignorance.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Well how do you skip cutscenes then? You can tap on space bar but that isn't skipping them, just making them go faster.

Despite everything you say the game plays like WoW to me, everyone I know and every website I've read has said it's basically WoW with a Star Wars skin. I played about 8 hours of beta and it was enough, I was bored all the way through and wasn't having fun, so I finally decided to uninstall. You login and do everything you've done in WoW and every clone since.

I don't understand how people can say this isn't like WoW.....

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's watch the baiting. Having a negative opinion is fine. Repeatedly stating it over and over, is not.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

U cant skip it in its entirety at once. U can skip the disalouge by just tapping space bar till u have to make a choice though and it took me less then 30 seconds to do one whole cutscene doing that. 

[Mod Edit]

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by DLangley

Let's watch the baiting. Having a negative opinion is fine. Repeatedly stating it over and over, is not.

As long as that counts for the flipside then that's fair. If someone kept on making "teh best game evar" (for any game) threads then they to would be moderated right?

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

As long as that counts for the flipside then that's fair. If someone kept on making "teh best game evar" (for any game) threads then they to would be moderated right?

If it is seen that the thread was made to bait a particular viewpoint, then yes.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

So i already posted link about  not pro GamePro, it is one of the worst review ever made and people are laughing about that. And on ign you can find article about GamePro is shuting down site in December. Simply GamenotPro was not paid like some prominent site(example mmorpg.com) to advertise SWTOR from bioware because they are in fact  nobody and people from GamenotPro was very very angry:) And what bad kids do is to take a little ravenge. But in fact haters can write what ever they want, we know quality of SWTOR and real Role Players will play this game because it is only good and real Role Playing game on market.Like i said after beta testing i can say for sure- Nothing  is like SWTOR and when you try everything else loooks like low bugget movie. Peace:)

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

If it is seen that the thread was made to bait a particular viewpoint, then yes.

Fair play. Thank you for responding.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Distopia

Sometimes I feel like many expect all games to be made the same way. To me that would be far worse than having options in experiencing different forms of gaming and seeing different aproaches to design. I don't want to see every game taking the form of the sandbox or the themepark. I also don't want every game going in an action oriented route. There's room for many different types of games, IMO.

In this particular case, TOR is made exactly the same way. AOC, LOTR, and WAR have been what we have been forced to expect. I mean the first couple of Saw movies were meh ok, but by the time it gets to saw 16 were pretty well done with it, thats about where were at with this particular set up of holy trinity wow clone silliness. Corporate types like it because its easy to replicate and requires no thought in development, however these are the same people who shamelessly promote Nickelback and Hannah Montana... and this creature...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLiuwc0T_es

As you can clearly see just  because corporations belive they know what people want doesn't mean that mass producing the same garbage over and over again will make it any less garbage. Now that video is epic terrible, its soo bad that it will make you cry. And If EA games is good at anything, its mass producing garbage and when the garbage doesn't sell they blame the company they forced to make it and then liquidate them. This person even has fans that are adamant that it's the best song ever and that she is the most original new artist of this century. Now we know thats not true, but that how foolish this TOR thing has become, everyone knows this is a boring WOW clone, I am sorry but you can get more exitement from a game of scrabble, just sticking to your RIFT account is a safe, safe bet to be sure.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Well how do you skip cutscenes then? You can tap on space bar but that isn't skipping them, just making them go faster.

Also (as mentioned in the Gamepro video) the issue is that if you skip cutscenes, you won't know how to respond.  The branching dialogue makes it feel like you kind of do have to listen to the story so that you won't do something you'll regret.  

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

I could not go through the boring text of trolls getting owned by trolls but anyways.. THEY WERE TROLLING YOU...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=11641039#post11641039

GamePro even gave game of the year.... http://www.swtor.com/awards

SNIP

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by kanechart

I could not go through the boring text of trolls getting owned by trolls but anyways.. THEY WERE TROLLING YOU...

This might be news to you, but Gamepro isn't just one person.  They're different people, who in all likelihood have different opinions.. and calling everyone with a negative opinion towards TOR a troll is just getting really silly.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by kanechart

Wait...you linked your own thread...on another board...with one (1) response...and that proves everyone was trolled...because...you said so...and then you said so again here?

/boggle

I think it's adequate to note the content of the video itself was poorly done, and move on.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by Martinmas

One of the reviewers said that she has been testing since the "Friends and Family" beta started but later in the article she says that she has not been able to experience the companions yet.

It would seem that someone who has been testing the game since last August or longer would have gottten to something that happens within the first few hours of the game.

I was going to say the same thing.

There are some other issues I had with the video as well. 

These are supposed to be "professional" game reviewers but they didn't know you can press the spacebar to skip the cut-scenes?  In my profession, that's like not knowing how to boot into safe mode.

Spending most of the video complaining about the #1 feature of the game is like complaining that you have to drive cars in Gran Turismo.

I definiltey do not think SWTOR is a great MMO game, but I question if any of the people in the video even played it.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by Vhaln

Also (as mentioned in the Gamepro video) the issue is that if you skip cutscenes, you won't know how to respond.  The branching dialogue makes it feel like you kind of do have to listen to the story so that you won't do something you'll regret.  

But if you don't care about the story, why would you regret a decision?  The light/dark side choices are color coded.  Just skip the dialogue and press the red number, over in 3 seconds.

Anyway, I don't understand why someone who would want to skip all of the story would even bother playing SWTOR. That's the only thing the game has going for it.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."