Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Can It Be True?

Comments

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

Ill just write something I already wrote during AoC beta. It's Funcom, it must be a trap. Luckily GW2 will be around the time TSW releases, so I wont even think about playing another funcom game after being majorly fucked by AoC.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

how can people talk about TSW being hyped? lol, if anything, it gets hate from people that doesn't even know what it is about.

SWTOR or GW2 are overhyped, if there is one thing that you can be sure funcon is doing right this time, is controling the hype level of their game.

just by that you know TSW launch is going to be far different from AoC.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

This game has some really interesting ideas but I am very cautious... after all its a FC product and very recently we had 2 examples of what Failcom is able to deliver: the beta access "event" and the last AoC patch...

If there isn't any kind of open beta or trial I won't be at launch and I will wait a couple of months before buying it.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Is The Secret World too good to be true?

Probably, it's Funcom and it would be wise for anyone to take press previews of any game with a pinch of salt. I recall a certain DCUO getting massively good reviews not so long ago. How did that one turn out again?

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Funcom's fundamental problem is that they are way too open about what they are doing.  During development they trumpet their wildly ambitious visions, promising to give gamers the moon and the stars, and then by the time their games actually launch, all they deliver is part of the moon on a cloudy night, and even if it's a really awesome part of the moon, people still end up disappointed because it is nowhere close to being what the company had led them to believe they were getting.  If they would just sit on information until it was finalized or close to it, they would probably be a lot more successful due to not failing to meet unrealistic expectations set by their loose lips.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• HoliceHolice Member UncommonPosts: 116

Originally posted by Stofftier

We only can hope that it is true .... the mmorpg genre needs a title again that is complete different frome what else is on the market and being successfull at the same time that the genre can change again in another direction before all got burned out of the same stuff over and over again is my opinion.

The problem with this is that when a developer does do something completely different from the standard, people lose interest because its not what they are used to, and the uncomfortableness of it all leads to a small population base or niche gaming. And what people also fail to realize is that change takes time to become good. WoW was very EQ like at the start and had its problems, but people stuck with it to make it what it is today. Gamers aren't so eager these days to do the same it seems.

Such as the radical changes in AC2 and EQ2 from the originals, people were outraged and left early. Earthrise was very inventive but no one wanted to stick around and give it a shot. Autoassault and APB both tried different niches from other game types that were succesful, ie twisted metal and gta, but sadly they both never reached any new heights.

So while I constantly hear that people want "change" and "something different" they really do not, and even if a small majority actually does want to see something different, no one is giving any new games the time it takes to make it a good game.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

My instincts with TSW are either, wait a couple of months before playing, or just expect a bunch of bugs and problems if I play from day one.

I am looking forward to the game... but not the launch.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Chances are I'll be testing this game too... but even in the off chance I don't get to test it,  MOST games I end up buying if they tickle me.... and TSW has tickled me quite a bit.   Even after multiple requests to stop.

I tried DCUO when it was set to launch and loved the game for what it was... and probably would have continued playing had SOE been able to squash those pesky exploits and put out the content reliably like they initially had planned.   

Funcom or not,  this game looks like it will be something interesting.. and I'm all for giving it a try.  People who stay away from games based on their developer just don't make sense to me.  If I have even the slightest chance of enjoying myself in game,  its worth it to take that chance.  

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

I'm approaching it with cautious optimism. 

Some of the issues FC has had in the past *cough* Gaute Godager *cough* are not present in TSW and Ragner himself has a winning record.  Looking back in history, AO launched with serious issues with game code, with servers, with accounting and it was a good year before they righted that ship.  AoC launched with fairly stable code, very solid servers, and poor accounting/CS but also saddled with a ton of poor design choices, much of which can be laid at Gaute's feet.  It took Craig Morrison, yanked from AO to run AoC in place of Gaute, a good year to stop the backpedaling, and another year to get some forward motion going.

I'l be in the beta at some point and get a much better view of things, but for now I jsut take notes and read all I can.

~\_/~\_O

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by Myrdynn

Originally posted by crysent

Honestly its not the game that's the problem, it's the company - Anyone who has dealt with Funcom know's they have a terrible history.  It's taken them 5 years just to fix AoC.  Maybe the game will have great graphics, maybe it will have a great story and nice mechanics, but I'm betting it will be full of bugs, class balance issues and broken quest, then it will take Funcom 5+ years to fix things during which the population will dive bomb until it ends up like AoC -a game with great potential early on, a great idea, a great population at first and then nothing..

we know one thing, there will be no issues with class balance.  Its skill based, classless game, where everyone can have every skill

People stil think classless games needs no balance? lol you're living in a fantasy world..

Edit. People on this site are getting hyped b/c they game will be classless. Everyone think that this is the fix for all the problems in mmos ever.

Edit2. And if it's true that the game will have sub and cash shop I can bet it will go freemium like AoC in 1 year. There is simply no way FC will be able to compete with f2p games or only p2p games like SWTOR.

• SpiritraiserSpiritraiser Member UncommonPosts: 175

"Suzie doesn’t impress easily."

Is it because she is ugly, threatening or what? Unless you wanted to say: Suzie doesn’t get impressed easily. I hate being so picky but this seemed such an awful error.

Anyway, I have stopped getting impressed by what people write or say and rather prefer seeing with my own eyes instead. Hope it is good but after AoC I am a bit more reserved with that company...

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

TSW was kinda on my radar but wasnt that interested until Suzies article I believe the phrase was "A thinking mans game"  her description of the skils and how they are attained in fact just everything within the article appealed to me,    could it finally be that MMO that strays far enough from the themepark that I can fall in love with a MMO again.

I don't want beta, I avoid the TSW forums like the plague, I to will find out in April (OK so July because we all know its gonna get delayed)  and I must say I am quietly anticipating it.

• todrulestodrules Member Posts: 15

Actually, I kind of hope everybody takes a wait and see approach. I'd rather not have as many people flooding the servers at launch when I start playing from Day 1.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Most of  those who bemoan FunCom do so from bitter experience, Anarchy Online became awesome, it's launch was fantastically terrible, Age of Conan, again terrible launch & now it's matured into a very decent title, the thing is MMO gamers are not liable to second-chances any more becasue  of the existing highly developed marketplace any new MMO is entering, it has to come out the gate looking like Vin Diesel, singing like Corey Taylor, kicking ass like Bruce Lee, punching faces like Mike Tyson, have the brains of Stephen Hawking & the cojones of a Marine.

And even then.....

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Probably, it's Funcom and it would be wise for anyone to take press previews of any game with a pinch of salt. I recall a certain DCUO getting massively good reviews not so long ago. How did that one turn out again?

Indeed, in fact didn't the crtisism of the coverage here prompt a certain MMORPG staffer (as they where then) to write an "we are not biased we just call it how we see it" piece? Actually AoC coverage was pretty gushy too.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

"But at what point does the near resounding presence of positive hands-on experiences cease being white noise and instead become a very real reason to get excited about Funcom’s next MMO? Sure enough this preview event was in a controlled environment, meticulously planned by Funcom and EA and their PR staffers…"

Pretty much sums up why you should'nt hype anything Failcom.  I will hold judgement till one month into release.  Sad that I have to hold off judegement that long but seeing how Tortage in AoC was great past level 20 was crap you need to give Funcom alot of rope to hang themselves before you heep on praise.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I really hope Funcom has learnt their lesson from their previous mmo launches. It takes them a year or more to recover.

• joeballsjoeballs Member UncommonPosts: 163

Any mmo that follows the usual "go kill x and bring back x" model isn't going to be very successful. That model has been burnt to death over the past decade. The only hope an mmo has these days is if it brings radical change in gameplay and focuses on exporation and social interaction.

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by DJJazzy

I really hope Funcom has learnt their lesson from their previous mmo launches. It takes them a year or more to recover.

It may not be their choice. There is a reason the Accounting Department has a sign above the entrance saying "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!".

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

It's FC, but its also EA... you bet EA will have its hand at making sure the client is stable. That's the good part about EA. But EA also means QUADRUPLE LOGIN and TRIPLE REGISTRATION! Anyone installed BF3 reading this?

The game will run stable, I'm sur of it but getting into it will be hell, as you'll have a wrong password or a locked account on one of EA's multiple launchers, chat/buddy system etc. And some people talk about Steam being bad...

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Never trust Funcom.

• shadydvlshadydvl Member Posts: 3
    I will be buying this game on the simple basis of w few facts.

It's a new setting for mmos. Could not be more tired of the medival fantasy setting.

It's not dumbed down for newbs. I can not express how BORING the star wars mmo was, including the excessive amount of voice acting. No more fetch and gather quests. No more minimaps with markers telling me exactly where to go. I've played nearly all sub based mmos since UO and I'm tired of 'wow type' games treating me like a little kid that can't figure it out without being lead around like a horse and carrot.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by shadydvl

I will be buying this game on the simple basis of w few facts.

It's a new setting for mmos. Could not be more tired of the medival fantasy setting.

It's not dumbed down for newbs. I can not express how BORING the star wars mmo was, including the excessive amount of voice acting. No more fetch and gather quests. No more minimaps with markers telling me exactly where to go. I've played nearly all sub based mmos since UO and I'm tired of 'wow type' games treating me like a little kid that can't figure it out without being lead around like a horse and carrot.

I cannot stress enough how boring every single currently released MMO is after comparing it to the Star Wars MMO, which is as close to a true RPG as the genre has ever seen.

That being said, if FunCom can live up to it's promises (for a change) I am looking forward to the Secret World almost as much as TOR.  Looking forward to Guild Wars 2 as well.  All three are making solid efforts to actually make MMORPGs, when everybody else was only interested in making MMOs.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• shadydvlshadydvl Member Posts: 3
    I also played sic from launch and loved the game, graphics and pvp. Granted, I crashed a few times but only a handful really. The reason why I quit was because I got to 80 and there was nothing to do anymore.
  • atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Nice cheap shots at the community here. All anyone has to do is look at the history of Funcom to know what they hype and what they deliver is usually not on the same level. You seemed to glaze over that part in a revisionist history rant that undermines the credibility of you and MMORPG.COM.

You do realize that not only paranoid cynics can wear tinfoil hats. You seem to be polishing yours quite nicely if you buy into the hype of ANY MMO company that has released a game in the last decade. Honestly, what game has lived up or surpassed the hype from the developers? Maybe a few gems here and there, but the majority fall short... Why, because it is their job to over hype their game and make as much money as possible.

I smell the same thing coming from MMORPG and your passive aggressive puff piece. Would be nice if the game lived up to the hype, but reality indicates that it won't. Hate me and those like me all you want. Belittle us in your writing, which is what you did in this one, but in the end I would rather be cautious rather than a fool.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.