Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Stahl Beams Back Aboard the Cryptic Ship

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Daniel Stahl left Cryptic Studios and Star Trek Online duties about two months ago to join social gaming's Zynga. According to reports, however, Stahl has rejoined Cryptic a mere ten weeks after leaving. He will be returning, according to Gamasutra, in a senior producer role managing the Foundry.

That is why I'm excited to be back at Cryptic working directly with the highly talented UGC team to begin working on future updates for the Foundry, especially with the development of Neverwinter which has its own deep history of User Developed Content.

Read Stahl's full post on the Star Trek Online forum.

Via Gamasutra

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

I"m not real sure what to make of this. It's possible that Zynga is not all roses and butterfly farts, or maybe PW upped his salary to get him back.

Also, if you look at the posts he made when he left, he mentioned moving because of his GF or some such. It's possible that fell through (her or her job).

Despite this past summer's content drought, DStahl is responsible for the current direction of STO, including yesterday's launch of Season 5, so I'm happy to see him back. Hopefully he can find time to step away from the Foundry and help out on STO.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I'm betting it's the Zynga thing... Stahl's a gamer at heart.  He probably realized he was working for the anti-gaming-Christ. 

*he says as he checks his Castle in Castleville...*

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

This actually tells me quite a bit about the corporate personalities of both Zynga AND Cryptic.  It is interesting as I think Cryptic is the A/C so for someone to join another company and FLEE back this quick... wow.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Working for Cryptic is like being in GoonFleet in Eve, once you are in it, you get all freaky and then when you try to leave for a normal corp you find you dont fit in to the regular world anymore...  :)

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by BillMurphy

I'm betting it's the Zynga thing... Stahl's a gamer at heart.  He probably realized he was working for the anti-gaming-Christ. 

*he says as he checks his Castle in Castleville...*

There's a Castleville now? Whew, glad I got out when I did...

• ResiaResia Member Posts: 119

You make more money jumping ship and coming back. Could have just been that.

"Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better." parrotpholk

• JimsonLJimsonL Member Posts: 1

Zynga is one of the most known social network game developers in the country. Two of its games that I really love are CityVille and Farmville. Anyways, social cellular gaming is a huge moneymaker. GREE, a mobile social gaming business from Japan, is ready to eat it all up. After getting OpenFeint for $104 million a few months ago, the business appears to be well on its way. GREE CEO Yoshikazu Tanaka is gearing up to take on the whole gaming globe. Gamers ought to expect big adjustments in the future. More information is here: http://www.appisaurus.com/.