Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stupid Star Wars question

Todays Ctrl+Alt+Del got me thinking:

Wouldnt a guy with a shotgut, or a machine gun or pistol, or even, if that exists, a machine shotgut, easily and trivially kill a Jedi ?

A shotgun doesnt shoot a single bullet, but many in an area. Because a Jedi might anticipate the attack and know where the bullets are, he would still be unable to catch them all because his muscles still wouldnt be able to move the lightsaber fast enough.

A machine gun is the same, only in quick sequence. Especially a machine pistol cant aim precisely, but has a large margin of error, thus its extremely unlikely that a jedi attacked with such a weapon is physically able to move his lightsaber fast enough to catch all bullets.

This of course all assumes that a lightsaber would catch a bullet in the first place. All lightsabers did in the movies was reflecting blaster shots, but never bullets.

Comments

• alantheceltalanthecelt Member Posts: 122

Im no star wars guru

but ive never seen a projectile weapon in any of hte films that i recall

here my question

my understanding from the original films is that the human charecters are not human, they just look like us

yet in beta i swear humans were mentioned repeatedly

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Yes, a conventional shotgun would be very effective, but in Star Wars they all use slow firing lasers :)

Lets not bring reality into it, bending light back on itself to make the glowstick is so far from reality that we should accept what happens in Star Wars is alright.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by bobfish

Yes, a conventional shotgun would be very effective, but in Star Wars they all use slow firing lasers :)

Lets not bring reality into it, bending light back on itself to make the glowstick is so far from reality that we should accept what happens in Star Wars is alright.

Ok

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

I agree.

• sgtairbornesgtairborne Member Posts: 51

They actually have an equivelent to a shotgun in SW (they actually had quite a few different weapons that were basically a shotgun).

As for them easily killing Jedi, throughout the history of the IP (Movies, EU, Games) many many many Jedi/Sith have been killed by both other force users and "regular" people. But that wouldnt be very fun in a game if you just got shot and died now.

As for the human thing.....they are humans. Lucas always intended for the human characters to be "humans". The word human is never said but that is the intention. The word human isnt mention in 95% of sci-fi movies but we know they are humans.

Also those aren't lasers, and a lightsaber is not light reflected on itself. Yhea I know they are not real and I sound like a total SW nerd but if I was misonformed about something I would want to know the truth.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

The famous scene of "Indiana Jones vs. The Swordsman" comes to mind.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

We watch light sabers burn their way through blast doors so although a light saber would be unlikely to reflect a projectile it would be likely to melt/disintegrate one.  Nevertheless, this is without considering that force users are able to use it to manipulate objects in there world with a thought or a wave of the hand projectiles would be sweep aside. We do see darts and things used in the movies but generally speaking it is the surprise factor that works in their favor. So yea, I think a shotgun might work the first time or as a surprise weapon if it stayed extremely rare and seldom used. However, I suspect some of the logic behind not having them is that if it was seen and or anticipated the round could be made to discharge before the user wanted and/or the projectile prevented from leaving the barrel causing a catastrophic failure.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've always had this theory about the Force and the prevelance of Jedi in the Star Wars universe -

In the era of the movies, the Jedi and Sith are few.

Since the Force draws upon the energies of life itself, fewer people drawing on that power = more powerful individuals.

KOTOR era - more Force users, more people drawing on a comparably similar "pool" of life energy in the universe, less powerful individuals.

• VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by arieste

The famous scene of "Indiana Jones vs. The Swordsman" comes to mind.

That is one of the best scenes in any movie ever made :)

Another tid bit that you can stick in your pocket and save for later. There was a weapon class called slug throwers that could not be blocked by a lightsaber. It was why it was used to defend against force users.

/retreats to nerd cave

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Adamantine
    Todays Ctrl+Alt+Del got me thinking:
    Wouldnt a guy with a shotgut, or a machine gun or pistol, or even, if that exists, a machine shotgut, easily and trivially kill a Jedi ?A shotgun doesnt shoot a single bullet, but many in an area. Because a Jedi might anticipate the attack and know where the bullets are, he would still be unable to catch them all because his muscles still wouldnt be able to move the lightsaber fast enough.This of course all assumes that a lightsaber would catch a bullet in the first place. All lightsabers did in the movies was reflecting blaster shots, but never bullets.

As a trained firearms instructor, I can tell you that a shotgun is NOT a 100% "kill weapon". First off, the most effective ammo to kill someone with a shotgun is a slug, which is usually just one projectile. Most people think you just point a shotgun at someone and it automatically hits them and they die or are incapicated.

The thing is.. all those smaller slugs are at a much lower caliber than typical firearms, even handguns. So you may have one projectile from the round hit his leg, another hit his arm, and another hit his ear. But he's not dead and may not even be incapicated. The further you are away with a shotgun, your chances of success go down even further due to spread pattern. Again, shotgun is NOT a 100% kill weapon and wouldn't trivially kill a regular person, let alone a Jedi.

The big thing you're missing is this as well:

Yoda/Dooku battle

At 2:26, Dooku force throws some stuff at Yoda, which Yoda simply catches and throws away. The Force can stop objects so if a BH shot a shotgun at a Jedi in his face, the Jedi could just "hold" the projectiles if they wanted according to realism.

You don't have to just stop bullets with a lightsaber when you're trained in the Force.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by sgtairborne

They actually have an equivelent to a shotgun in SW (they actually had quite a few different weapons that were basically a shotgun).

As for them easily killing Jedi, throughout the history of the IP (Movies, EU, Games) many many many Jedi/Sith have been killed by both other force users and "regular" people. But that wouldnt be very fun in a game if you just got shot and died now.

As for the human thing.....they are humans. Lucas always intended for the human characters to be "humans". The word human is never said but that is the intention. The word human isnt mention in 95% of sci-fi movies but we know they are humans.

Also those aren't lasers, and a lightsaber is not light reflected on itself. Yhea I know they are not real and I sound like a total SW nerd but if I was misonformed about something I would want to know the truth.

You are correct in stating that Lightsabers aren't Lasers.  Even though in Ep. 1 Anakin calls it a "laser sword".  They are actually plasma weapons.  See Wookiepedia - Lightsabers.  And blasters actually use similar technology, so they are NOT "slow lasers" those "projectiles" are actually plasma contained in a containment field. 

Still the bottom line is that you can't look at all this from the perspective of "what we know to be real".  Star Wars is in fact "mythical fantasy" with a space setting.  As soon as you approach any fantasy from the perspective of reality it can't hold up.

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Originally posted by BadSpock

I've always had this theory about the Force and the prevelance of Jedi in the Star Wars universe -

In the era of the movies, the Jedi and Sith are few.

Since the Force draws upon the energies of life itself, fewer people drawing on that power = more powerful individuals.

KOTOR era - more Force users, more people drawing on a comparably similar "pool" of life energy in the universe, less powerful individuals.

I think it has more to do with your connection to the force. Those who have a strong connection to it can do more powerful things with it. Those with a weak connection can't do much at all.

Individuals with strong connections are naturally rare.

Of note, there are plenty of instances of Jedi falling to non-Jedi, they aren't omnipotent or in any way more durable than normal people, they can just anticipate actions better than normal people and have the odd ability to help deal with those things.

Originally posted by benasato

Here you go op bullets in sw..

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Slugthrower

Beat you to that one ;) My nerd is stronger then your nerd.

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

Hehe cought my edit to im low on force coffee atm.image

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

I'd like to see you go after Satele with one of those :D  Since this IS a fictional universe with an all-encompassing power that, in some, is virtually limitless - I'd imagine it would be something like trying to shoot Jean Gray (the second movie version anyways) with a shotgun!

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Lore-wise, a Jedi doesn't just block blaster bolts to avoid them.  The force also helps them anticipate where blaster bolts are going to be and so they move to where they aren't.

So the force would "tell" them that if they take two steps to the left, they'll avoid most blaster fire, and if they arc their lightsaber downward, it will deflect the rest of it.

In terms of a shotgun, the force would "tell them" to take 3 steps to the left and how to deflect some, while not taking damage.   Orrrrrr to force leap over the guy's head and stab them from behind.

In terms of the game... just like Bobfish said, bringing reality into it just... there's no point.  It's like the people who were up in arms because "lightsabers should be instant kill".  Really... and being hit with a sticky grenade SHOULDn'T be? 

Hehe cought my edit to im low on force coffee atm.image

I totally know the feeling. Least you knew what it was image

• mindsplitmindsplit Member UncommonPosts: 31

The jedi would stop the bullets with his forcepowers.  afaik Tusken ppl use weapons with bullets.