Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: A "REAL" Honest Review.

13»

Comments

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

You gave the graphics an 8!  Are you serious?  I would barely give the graphics a 5.  I don't like cartoons running around pretending to be people.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

Originally posted by cura

Originally posted by Zalmon

UI 7.5??? I would be generous giving it 5. If you overrated one aspect so much i think whole your review is just fanboi crap.

I know personally a lot of people from my guild who are happy with UI but would want to be able to move it around. And they are no fanboys and would easily rate it 7. A working UI is more important than the one that can be modded.

Wow, giving 7 for stuff that just works.  No wonder crap games are so highly rated this days. Not that im saying SWTOR is crap, i just think this review is not trustworthy. After beta i would give the game 6-7.

So we should give high rating to broken UI like FFXIV? can SWTOR UI be made for user friendly? yes. But is it utterly broken? nope. 7 seems right if someone believe so, why take the ratings so personally and insult them?

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

If it works, but nothing particularly good about it, it's a 6. If it works mostly, but creates additional unnecessary problems/fuss, it's a 5.

People just have some skewed value system, where anything that is not actually outrageously bad gets 7, and everything that can tie its own shoes gets 8 and a participation medal.

UI 7.5??? I would be generous giving it 5. If you overrated one aspect so much i think whole your review is just fanboi crap.

I know personally a lot of people from my guild who are happy with UI but would want to be able to move it around. And they are no fanboys and would easily rate it 7. A working UI is more important than the one that can be modded.

Wow, giving 7 for stuff that just works.  No wonder crap games are so highly rated this days. Not that im saying SWTOR is crap, i just think this review is not trustworthy. After beta i would give the game 6-7.

So we should give high rating to broken UI like FFXIV? can SWTOR UI be made for user friendly? yes. But is it utterly broken? nope. 7 seems right if someone believe so, why take the ratings so personally and insult them?

I dont know FF XIV UI so cant tell. 

If something is utterly broken i give it 1. If something is just worknig i give it 5. 7 is for something good, not  something just  acceptable. I dont like when people are misleading others

Good is subjective. if for people UI is working all right and can use some improvements in this case being able to move around. 7 is fair score. i don't know why everyone had  to confirm to your rating standards otherwise it is mis leading.

• brutality123brutality123 Member Posts: 125

Someone has a different opinion to you  oh noes  must be a fanboi. I liked the review  and I had no issues with the UI. Maybe it is you.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by keithian

Originally posted by purplecow

I agree with every score but sound, I give a 9, and graphics I'm more generous and would give a 8.5.

Overall would also get a 9, unfortunately I think got to experience the fulness of the SWTOR pleasure within the two betas I played ((they reinvited the first weekenders)) since I'm not convinced that I would be experiencing anything new.

The sound is the only thing I would give a perfect 10. Everything else for me falls in between a 7-9. I can't think of anything they should do to improve the sound. What would make it a 10 for you?

I wish there was an option to loop the music so that the background tracks are always playing out of combat.

I'd give sound a 10 if that were that case.

One really cool thing I found?

Running around on Coruscant, hear a rumbling sound that seemed very close and from something very big, then saw a huge shadow approaching me across the ground, looked up and a massive Republic warship was flying qutie low over the area I was in. 'twas awesome and epic.

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

I enjoyed the Beta but I have to think that some of the scores were a little high and didn't get a true account of what the game is like.

To start with Graphics, they are better than some MMO's out there but far worse than the likes of AOC or AION or even RIFT. As people have pointed out there were no weather effects, no day/night cycle and even on the highest settings there wasn't the sort of detail we have seen in the game play footage. Personally I think it will be improved on come launch and the beta levels were for a testing purpose.

Customisation. Once again better than a game that came out in 2004 but far short of the 3 I have already mentioned and STO or even the soon to be dead SWGs. And given you will be looking at your character for the next 400 hours of story (perhaps realistically 100 hours but go with what BW claim till I know different) it is a big deal. You already can't choose a voice and now you have to pick one of a number of pre-determined faces.

As for Space I think everyone else has an opinion on this. But to say its not great and still give it an above average score seems to speak for the scoring system. Perhaps not as objective as it could have been, its a rail road shooter and as such more of a mini game.

Crafting is another thing that I find very strange. I couldn't even give a score for it cause I am not sure it is crafting in the sense that anyone would understand. You don't really do much in the way of crafting you rather send an NPC on a mission wait the time and they come back maybe sucessful, maybe failed mayber uber sucessful. Which all costs you credits so it feels less like crafting and more like grinding credits and then sending them to the shop (underworld trading this is exactly what you are doing).

But TOR has got good game play which is leveled for the casual gamer. A personal favourite of mine is the falling damage doesn't make falling instant death as the folks over at AOC seemed want to do. The controls are easy to pick up and the 1.5 global cool down and no auto attack allows for a pacing of combat all to aid the causal gamer that doesn't have jedi like reflexes.

The story for the most part is engrossing and well writen, even if hackney and obvious at times with the options sometimes making you or the NPC seem crazy. Its new and different and I doubt anyone has seen anything like it in an MMO. So as long as you don't mind that your path is very much set out for you it is a lot of fun and I think most people will be keen to see where it goes.

Now depending on what sort of experience people are expecting I think TOR will either delevier spectacularly or fail. Anyone looking for SWG's 2 you will be disappointed. There is no real freedom and the story takes you from planet to planet and area to area. There are no hubs were you have multiple options out of you must follow the yellow brick road. On the other hand as a work of story and people that prefer a more single player experience filled with interesting encounters and what BW does best then this will be an excellent purchase.

Good is subjective. if for people UI is working all right and can use some improvements in this case being able to move around. 7 is fair score. i don't know why everyone had  to confirm to your rating standards otherwise it is mis leading.

Its not about my ratings but standards. Look on other games in the genre and see whats average and what people should expect. SWTOR's interface is below average so shouldnt be rated higher then five definitely. 

And what are those standards? i have played almost every MMO in existence and UI of SWTOR works nicely and doesn't confuse new or old players. The only thing missing is that i can not be moved around. Not everyone is that particular about things and that is what i am tryiing tot ell you. if someone wants to log in and start playing with a hassel free UI then yes they would give it a 6 or 7.  I see no reason why i should tell them you are wrong.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by Boons

Its not about my ratings but standards. Look on other games in the genre and see whats average and what people should expect. SWTOR's interface is below average so shouldnt be rated higher then five definitely. 

And what are those standards? i have played almost every MMO in existence and UI of SWTOR works nicely and doesn't confuse new or old players. The only thing missing is that i can not be moved around. Not everyone is that particular about things and that is what i am tryiing tot ell you. if someone wants to log in and start playing with a hassel free UI then yes they would give it a 6 or 7.  I see no reason why i should tell them you are wrong.

{mod edit}

I like the clone wars with voices line.  You use it in ever response (nearly).  I think I'm going to do the same with future games just to get that little extra "dig" in.  Sorry, gotta steal the idea, its a fun way to piss off the fanboys of a game:)  GW2 WoW with Charr.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by keithian

Originally posted by purplecow

I agree with every score but sound, I give a 9, and graphics I'm more generous and would give a 8.5.

Overall would also get a 9, unfortunately I think got to experience the fulness of the SWTOR pleasure within the two betas I played ((they reinvited the first weekenders)) since I'm not convinced that I would be experiencing anything new.

The sound is the only thing I would give a perfect 10. Everything else for me falls in between a 7-9. I can't think of anything they should do to improve the sound. What would make it a 10 for you?

I wish there was an option to loop the music so that the background tracks are always playing out of combat.

I'd give sound a 10 if that were that case.

One really cool thing I found?

Running around on Coruscant, hear a rumbling sound that seemed very close and from something very big, then saw a huge shadow approaching me across the ground, looked up and a massive Republic warship was flying qutie low over the area I was in. 'twas awesome and epic.

Not me man.  One of the first thing I do is turn off ambient music in games because I can't stand listening to the same loops over and over again.  Drive me nuts.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• flaZhflaZh Member UncommonPosts: 144

I agree to this review! But I'd like to add, another post I saw. The world is really static for what I've seen, and I kinda agree.

• flaZhflaZh Member UncommonPosts: 144

Originally posted by Boons

Originally posted by flaZh

I agree to this review! But I'd like to add, another post I saw. The world is really static for what I've seen, and I kinda agree.

I disagree with this review! But i'd like to add,another post i saw. Clones with voices is a real static world.

Trollololo?

/just stopped feeding the trollolololo

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    so ill take you played just beta? because you aint saying anything about end game , gear, longevity or even the fact how long you been playing, i would disagree with combat a lot, as someone who played inquisitor i found it boring slow, cumbersome, nowhere near balanced, when one spell does 600 dmg over 1,5s and another deals 300 with 1,5s cast, i found my self using couple spell, trowing couple dots, which one did 350~ another 650~ but with cast time and half damage wasnt dot, so in reality i had 3 good spells, bunch of pointless spells, as casters my melee could do same as my supposed 24/7 only castable nuke i had.. it was nuke, wait nuke wait, heal companion, slow boring, waiting on those cds to end so ican use spell that deals damage

and why all negatives you said and gave them 7,5 rating? sup with thatif its bad, rate it bad..
  • RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

About time we got a "REAL" review, was getting tired on all the "FAKE" ones. I mean, I thought there was a review earlier, but when I got close I realized it was actually a loaf of bread..! WTH is up with that..?!

On a serious note though: you review seems overly biased... you're constantly saying things like:

"That is not to say they were not any good...", "At times they could be very annoying.." and then you end up with a "but its Awesome!" and give it a 8,9 or 10. My favourite must be the sound category where you think they might need to add "more environmental sounds and stuff." Then you give it a perfect score...

But hey, I'm ok with anyone liking a game. Glad you found something you enjoy!

And a finishing note to the MMORPG community: I freaking LOVE you guys and gals! You're just so much fun! image image  image

• sionidesionide Member Posts: 42
    Hey, nice review op.

I was going to write up a similar review which I have done with most of the games I have tried in beta. No point now since you seem to have done a nice job and do a similar breakdown of things like me.

Although I think you rated things too high overall (i.e. I think SWTOR is a solid 8 to perhaps an 8.5)
  • catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by sionide

Hey, nice review op. I was going to write up a similar review which I have done with most of the games I have tried in beta. No point now since you seem to have done a nice job and do a similar breakdown of things like me. Although I think you rated things too high overall (i.e. I think SWTOR is a solid 8 to perhaps an 8.5)

Reviews are always highly subjective. For example, I really like the Dune series of books and would rate the series very highly. I have a friend who dislikes said series and would rate the series much lower. 

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Every review on this site is biased. U think the negative ones arent? they are the worst. At least this guy said the game had flaw.

Tor is a very smooth running well made game. it may not be your cup of tea but not once do i see a negative guy givent bioware credit for a polished well done game with soem cool elements like story, or there uniqe companion system.

They instead just lambast tor for everything evne though some of there critque is plain misinformed and not true at all. 

so please u may not think the positive reivews are biased  but i have yet to see an unbiased review on this site at all. Other then ones done by the actual writers.

• Narcin1Narcin1 Member Posts: 145

Wow. I opened this thread expecting a read written by some two cent Tom about why The Old Republic sucks because it is not a sandbox.  I was pleasently surprised when I saw your view. :) Thank you for not being a troll, OP.

Argh