Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

True Fantasy MMO with Player Island Design

2»

Comments

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Alubaczewski

It's not an excuse, the game's assets and features are still being created, the beta is to show what is in the game currently.

Please don't take this as a flame, 'cause it's not intended that way. It's a genuine question....

After reading through this thread, and more specifically your posts, I'm very curious.

Are you merely "someone interested in the game" simply "looking for others' opinions", or are you friends of the developers or otherwise someone actively doing PR/Marketing for it?

Your posts read a lot more like viral marketing than they do someone simply "mentioning a game they found in the gaming forums and sharing with others".

I just get that vibe from your posts - the way they're written, the "assurances" you're making to people, and how much you seem to know about the game, how specific the information is that you're giving out, your emphasis on certain terms, etc. It just reeks of "marketing".

There's also this post by you going back to 7-11-2010, wherein you seem to show a vested interest in the game's community growing as well. It also shows that you've known about the game for well over a year now... though your OP in this thread makes it sound like you just happened to come across this website for this dev team who just happens to be making this MMO... 

The subject line reads like a marketing blurb as well. 

The point I'm getting at here is simply this... If you're here to help do marketing or PR for the game, then just be open and honest about it and lay off the "ninja viral marketing" stuff. It's a bit shady when people post viral campaigns under the pretense of being "just someone following the game". It seems more like you're trying to trick people into checking it out than giving a genuine suggestion or request to.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

WSIMike, I think that's a very important point you're bringing up, and I also read the OP as one of those viral 'anyone seen this? it looks crazy! [link]' marketing attempts.

That being said, I hope Neojac returns to post a thread when the download is available. I'm anxious to check this out!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Looks interesting.

I really pity the indie devs having to put up with all the out of place comments from  fanbois of AAA companies.

• NeojacNeojac Member UncommonPosts: 157

So you telling me, I can make those small islands shown in the media, larger to the size of continents in other games such as Warhammer? Also another thing that puzzles me is how your combat will work. I assume it's not finished, but in it's current form it seems very limited. Few weapon choices, and each element seem to have a unique weapon. Also perhaps you and your team should request a forum here on mmorpg.com were it could be easier to discuss

Yes you can make any size continent even the size they have in Warhammer. The combat will continue to develop as the game progresses, we do have another 2 classes that will be released later and will be working with the community to sculpt the game accordingly, seeing that we are not a big AAA company and can actually listen and follow through with ideas from the community and do not have to answer to shareholders and do the safe path but do the creative path. As for requesting a forum here on mmorpg.com, we are currently in the process to doing that as well as to get the newest screenshots and information updated here.

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

• AlubaczewskiAlubaczewski Member Posts: 23

I've known about it for a while now, Its not really ninja marketing haha, more like I just want people to know about Islands of War and see the cool things even an small indie team can do. Not really trying to trick anyone, just spread awareness of a game I would like to see succeed. I  just want people to give an honest opinion about how they feel about the game. Now that we got that out of the way, I really like the game, and I feel that it has real potential in the MMO world so long as it continues to grow and improve. And it seems that most of you on here feel the same, even if you don't have as much vested interest as I do.

Sorry if my earlier posts make anyone angry or break any rules I suppose, Im still a guy that likes the trailer on youtube and wants others opinions and feelings on it.

Originally posted by Neojac

So you telling me, I can make those small islands shown in the media, larger to the size of continents in other games such as Warhammer? Also another thing that puzzles me is how your combat will work. I assume it's not finished, but in it's current form it seems very limited. Few weapon choices, and each element seem to have a unique weapon. Also perhaps you and your team should request a forum here on mmorpg.com were it could be easier to discuss

Yes you can make any size continent even the size they have in Warhammer. The combat will continue to develop as the game progresses, we do have another 2 classes that will be released later and will be working with the community to sculpt the game accordingly, seeing that we are not a big AAA company and can actually listen and follow through with ideas from the community and do not have to answer to shareholders and do the safe path but do the creative path. As for requesting a forum here on mmorpg.com, we are currently in the process to doing that as well as to get the newest screenshots and information updated here.

Your game already has a section dedicated to it, and a forum right here.

It's been available (though not very active) since at least July of last year. I even posted a message in there at some point asking if you guys were still using Multiverse as your platform...

Were you not aware of that?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

I've known about it for a while now, Its not really ninja marketing haha, more like I just want people to know about Islands of War and see the cool things even an small indie team can do. Not really trying to trick anyone, just spread awareness of a game I would like to see succeed. I  just want people to give an honest opinion about how they feel about the game. Now that we got that out of the way, I really like the game, and I feel that it has real potential in the MMO world so long as it continues to grow and improve. And it seems that most of you on here feel the same, even if you don't have as much vested interest as I do.

Sorry if my earlier posts make anyone angry or break any rules I suppose, Im still a guy that likes the trailer on youtube and wants others opinions and feelings on it.

lol... no worries.

If it's not viral, then it's not viral. Only you and/or the folks at Neojack know that for sure anyway. I was just getting that vibe reading your posts. You seem to provide very specific details and place emphasis on certain "selling points", which make them read a lot like marketing material.

Also, I've seen that kind of thing many times before, so it tends to jump out at me, and I'm always suspicious of it. 

There was a PW for Neverwinter Nights who had this guy posting on the community forums under the pretense of "just being someone really fond of it and wanting to see it more populated to make it even better!". He was questioned on being someone doing viral marketing for it by several people, which he denied up one side and down the other. He got angry at one point (which, to me, was a bit of "the lady doth protest too much, methinks") lashing out at someone questioning him about it.

Lo and behold, it was revealed a few weeks later that he was, in fact, one of the developers working on it and had, in fact, been making his posts as a form of viral marketing. He was ripped a new one in the community for a time lol. 

For the record, I'm not opposed to people promoting their own game. I just prefer they be open and honest about it and stop with the head-game, ninja-marketing stuff. I hate head games and/or having people act under false pretenses.

If you've been busting your ass on something for years, hell.. be proud of it! Especially if you're an indie developer without the backing of millions of dollars from some huge publishing company. Come out and say "We've been working hard on this title for the past 3-4 years and we really think people would like it. We'd like people to come check it out to help Beta test and give feedback". 

Incidentally, I've known about IoW for a while now, too. I originally learned of it when I was researching different engines/platforms for my own game project a few years back. It was one of the games listed on Multiverse's website and, incidentally, one of the only ones who actually had something to show for it lol. Most of the projects there are/were terrible... not at all a flattering demonstration of their tech to be sure.

But anyway... just wanted to explain that a bit more :).

Yeah, I know they have been working hard on it for a few years, what type of game development did you work on? In regards to, Programming, Artist, Game Designer. I was just curious because if you want to help Islands of War and if they need something that you can provide that would work well.

Originally posted by WSIMike

lol... no worries.

If it's not viral, then it's not viral. Only you and/or the folks at Neojack know that for sure anyway. I was just getting that vibe reading your posts. You seem to provide very specific details and place emphasis on certain "selling points", which make them read a lot like marketing material.

Just to clarify, Neojac consists of three people developing it currently, Jacques Rossouw, Andrew Harrison and Patrick Hamilton.  Although we have had people come and go during the development it has only been us doing most of it. Because we are such a small team we are extremely open with most of our details and if you just pop into our live chat room on our website you can speak directly with us so allot of detail is released on a regular interval.

As for Multiverse, we where with them for a long time but they never could finish the engine and that's why we started working on our own one called Atavism Online. And thanks to our extremely good programmer Andrew, we have final got something that will put us apart from the rest.

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

Sorry Alubaczewski, we are not currently looking to add anyone to the team as it takes to much of our time to get them up to spread, we would rather get the game out there with the island building capabilities and also something that we are working towards, player created assets. But thanks for trying to help the game further.

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

Originally posted by WSIMike

Your game already has a section dedicated to it, and a forum right here.

It's been available (though not very active) since at least July of last year. I even posted a message in there at some point asking if you guys were still using Multiverse as your platform...

Were you not aware of that?

Hmm we where posting to a blog but did not know it went to a forum section, thanks for the information.

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

iam downloading the game now

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Sorry Alubaczewski, we are not currently looking to add anyone to the team as it takes to much of our time to get them up to spread, we would rather get the game out there with the island building capabilities and also something that we are working towards, player created assets. But thanks for trying to help the game further.

Well, it was worth a shot, in any case the beta is up now.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Well, it was worth a shot, in any case the beta is up now.

how do we build on the world? the game doesnt show any options for that

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed

how do we build on the world? the game doesnt show any options for that

Currently we have not opened the world building yet, just want to make sure the game is stable enough before we do that. It will be opened for building in the next week. We will be announcing the date for that in a few day's .

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com