Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

True Fantasy MMO with Player Island Design

Hey Guys!

I've come across this indie dev team that is making an MMORPG that allows you to go in game and add things just like you would a complex editor, but its simple.  I was curious if anyone has seen the video like I have and their thoughts on it. Also, I went on the site and noticed it's in closed beta at the moment with an OPEN beta December 1st. I will post a link to the website and to this video I watched. It shows the character in-game spawning trees and creating quests, all while in the game. It's called Islands of War and I think its looking really good for an indie development.

So my questions are;

What do you guys think about the trailer and the concept of the game?

Specifically if anyone is in the closed beta now and if anyone is going to sign up like I did?

Islands of War MMO trailer (Shows the sandboxy aspects)

Their Website.

Comments

• AlubaczewskiAlubaczewski Member Posts: 23

I mean, (sorry for the double post), I want a game like this to succeed but im curious to know what you guys think. I think there is a great market for games that allow much customization. As far as in an MMO not sure it's been done to this level before. It has the fantasy aspect as most MMO's do but where it shines is in the freedom to create and populate your own island. Be it real players (friends or guildies) or NPCs/Mobs.

I can see players doing the Dungeons and Dragons thing with the world builder being the GM and his friends coming in and playing with him.

I can see guilds making a place for their players to come together and chit chat. Like a Guild city or whatnot.

I guess Im curious to see if I am just a fan boy or if you guys are having the same ideas?

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Every Indie title out there seem like the next big thing, I think most people have now learned to just wait till they actually release to see what actually becomes of those ideas. 

That is the dream, I just hope that they can at least get some recogniton.

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452

As for building a world yourself, from my experience with the Neverwinter Nights 2 toolset, I will have to say that building a world is no trivial task.  Of course, if it for some reason this were to become a trivial task one can imagine the result to be so so.

Particulary interesting toolset options could be storytelling tools. Maybe one could record and playback a vocal message or tell a narrative in the game, like D&D online.

Perhaps a novelty could be some kind of in game voice mail system to propagate quests and whatnot.

Yeah that would be a cool idea. I believe they will allow you to choose Island Templates that you can choose how *built* they already are. This would allow you to have an island with trees and roads or something and all you needed to do was build the town or city or whatever you wanted to build.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Every Indie title out there seem like the next big thing, I think most people have now learned to just wait till they actually release to see what actually becomes of those ideas. 

QFT

+1 bajillionmillion

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by Castillle

Originally posted by Gabby-air

QFT

+1 bajillionmillion

I can agree with those thoughts. My hopes are strong though haha

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Im sure some people would like that game. I personally would rather plant trees sandbox-like and be able to build structures myself in-game.  Not that interested in creating a run-of-the-mill themepark game.

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Really nice and refreshing concept.

yeah, definitely two worlds, One being the main islands (story driven, PvE, PvP) and the other Player Islands (Fun, Creative Mode i guess)

Since the game is going into beta soon the tools will be available for people to test and comment on.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

I didnt understood well im afraid. is it mmo strategy or mmorpg? Didnt saw something about a character but some things concerning building various buildings etc.

Originally posted by tazarconan

I didnt understood well im afraid. is it mmo strategy or mmorpg? Didnt saw something about a character but some things concerning building various buildings etc.

It is an MMORPG, it has all the elements of an RPG we know and love, Classes, Races, Quests, Dungeons (or Will since its in beta). But It also has the world building element that allows players to build their own islands and add quests and mobs and building to them. Allowing the player to be creative with what they want to build.

P.S. There ARE main story Islands where you follow the main story line as well.

• naughtypawsnaughtypaws Member UncommonPosts: 2

I would love some sort of game with resemblence to Skies of Arcadia with floating island city-states.

Work your way up to your own skiff to navigate local air currents- expand your skills and territory.

Establish your own island recluse or join a larger  guild town island.

Group and guild size ships to hunt and attack others with.  Ship gunnery skill vrs ship piloting skill.

Would like to see a co-operative ship battle system.

Defend and attack keeps-islands...

Larger ships needed to cross large airstreams to new zones...

You could hire on to defend the ship from foes in transit, etc.

I saw Allrods and Aion had some of the ideas but they had their own direction.

• NeojacNeojac Member UncommonPosts: 157

Originally posted by naughtypaws

Establish your own island recluse or join a larger  guild town island.

Group and guild size ships to hunt and attack others with.  Ship gunnery skill vrs ship piloting skill.

Hi all, Im one of the developers of the game and was reading the comments posted here. We are planning to have guilds play a big role in the game world. With our unique island creation tools they will be able to occupy a island and control it. Creating towns and strongholds. Other guilds will be able to attack them for control. These areas will allow the control access to better mines and resources.

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

The art reminds me a lot of Allods in its color and style. I know that most MMO UIs have looked very similar since Asheron's Call 2, but the IOW UI reminds me a lot of Mutable Realms' WISH.

Planning on trying this out as it looks like it's pretty far along in development already. For those interested:

"Open beta will commence at 7 pm server time which you can see on the home page. We will have a download web page available on the website for you with instructions to download the game. So see you in 7 hours!" - Neojac, Official Forums

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is a great idea and i beleive the future of gaming.This is a rather low budget [of course] attempt,i prefer a much higher end ,example the free UDK kit.

Something like this needs a game engine that uses or allows to import known files bases ,so you can  make a pretty good game.The only way for it to work would be to store al lthe files on the players hd's and the game acts more as a hub.

I watched the videos on their site,but did not get the emai llink to activate myu account so i could try it out.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    When does it come out?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Hey are you sure this is a MMO cause it seem more like a corpg like NWN.
    I don't want to pay a sub fee for NWN3, if you know what I mean. (ironic I know)

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Hey are you sure this is a MMO cause it seem more like a corpg like NWN. I don't want to pay a sub fee for NWN3, if you know what I mean. (ironic I know)

Positive, It is still in development, it will have all things you'd expect from an MMORPG, Open World (on islands), Classes and Races as well as dungeons and other content. But the game is still being made. Don't forget this is a Beta :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Hey are you sure this is a MMO cause it seem more like a corpg like NWN. I don't want to pay a sub fee for NWN3, if you know what I mean. (ironic I know)

It's F2P, so if you're paying to try it out, you're doing it wrong.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Alubaczewski

Positive, It is still in development, it will have all things you'd expect from an MMORPG, Open World (on islands), Classes and Races as well as dungeons and other content. But the game is still being made. Don't forget this is a Beta :)

sorry friend, but the it's only beta excuse been used for a long time even for the AAA MMO.

It seem, from your post, that the only areas that are persistent are the island areas. Kinda like NWN yes?

Also they seem kinda small to do any big ideas with. I can let the poor animations slide and the combat slide, since it's bee ing worked on, and I am more interested in building a world.

But how deep can we do anything? The island seem small.
    To be honest, the game seem closer to a NWN CORPG than a MMORPG. Not that it's a bad thing. Just kids misleading. And hopefully a sub isnt added on to this. Wouldn't mind paying the box but not a sub for a non mmo

It's not an excuse, the game's assets and features are still being created, the beta is to show what is in the game currently.

• NeojacNeojac Member UncommonPosts: 157

But how deep can we do anything? The island seem small

The game is a full MMO, the islands can be as big as you want to, the reason we did not create them to big is that we are a very small team so would rather have allot of content in a smaller area than less content in a massive world.  At the end all MMO's has some sort of edge where the world, or island stops. World of Warcraft also has islands but just a much bigger scaled one than what we have. With regards to how deep you can go into your world building, you can pretty much do anything from creating your own quests to deforming terrain and painting it. At a later stage we have much more customization planed that will allow players to do even more.

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

Originally posted by Neojac

But how deep can we do anything? The island seem small

The game is a full MMO, the islands can be as big as you want to, the reason we did not create them to big is that we are a very small team so would rather have allot of content in a smaller area than less content in a massive world.  At the end all MMO's has some sort of edge where the world, or island stops. World of Warcraft also has islands but just a much bigger scaled one than what we have. With regards to how deep you can go into your world building, you can pretty much do anything from creating your own quests to deforming terrain and painting it. At a later stage we have much more customization planed that will allow players to do even more.

So you telling me, I can make those small islands shown in the media, larger to the size of continents in other games such as Warhammer?
    Also another thing that puzzles me is how your combat will work. I assume it's not finished, but in it's current form it seems very limited. Few weapon choices, and each element seem to have a unique weapon. Also perhaps you and your team should request a forum here on mmorpg.com were it could be easier to discuss