Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me! Guide me...I am lost and have no idea what to do.....

lasu1lasu1 Member Posts: 8

Folks:

I don't know what to do. I need someone just to say: "Lasu1, do this." And, I'll do it. I'm obsessing over what to do and I'm not able to actually make a decision.

I need to know what game to play over my last holiday break. This is huge. I'm graduating from law school and getting married next year.  This is my last hurrah of sordid, selfish, non-stop MMO gaming. I want to soak it in.

Problem is...I can't decide which game to play.  I just need someone to choose for me. Here are the options:

1.) EQ2 - It looks fun...I've a few lower level charachters. Only problem is population seems a bit thin and the graphics are way dated. But...it has an allure. I can't exaplain it...EQ2 has some sort of weird draw despite the graf/x and performance issues. I'm also a little irked by the x-pac cost (PLUS I'd need to by Velious, still.)

2.) LOTRO: Beautiful game...but, perhaps there isn't really that much to do? I worry I won't be satiate my final beer/MMO fix because I'll get bored too early. I've got 3 characters right on the cusp of Moria...

3.) Maybe go back to WoW? The patch DID look kinda interesting...aaaannndd....the game is accessible. On the other hand, whenever I go back to WoW guildies from years ago RealID me and ask me to heal freaking arena teams. And I can't say no, because I'm nice. Next thing I know, it's 4:30am and I'm doing "one more game." The graphics are a bit dated, too..and it's a bit "been there, done that." But, I've never really tried PvE in WoW, maybe this is the time.

4.) Maybe back to EVE? Crucible is coming out...but the summer really put me off to EVE. Some bridges are hard to build again once burnt...but it was fun while it lasted and aybe it still would be...

5.) Rift....they're pushing out the content...but, then again, I've not had much luck finding a guild to run dungeons with...

6.) Give and just freaking get SWTOR. I'm worried that all the above games are going to be basically ghost towns when SWTOR comes out. The game does look kinda interesting, but hte $60 + sub...well, the cost of these games is starting to really get to me, as I get older...

I'm sorry to bother you. I just really can't decide and it's driving me NUTS. So...someone...anyone...please: just tell me what to do! Thanks SO much. It'll be so much better to have the decision made for me!

Comments

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

1. Never played so I have no comments. Other then after reading up on it, I just didn't think it was my game.

2. Just uninstalled after  "subbing for a year" It is great looking game, but running alt's through the exact same thing wore me out!

3. Played for 4 yrs, from vanilla. Sub-based good fun at the time. No interest in the last 3 yrs though.

4. Played off and on for a year total. Loved the freedom. Loved the look. Just mining broke me down. And honestly I think the learning curve to be a succesful combat expert killed it for me. But, I did like the game.

5. See #1

6. I think this is where it's at. Again sub-based, but completely new! Should hold you for your year of MMO fun. If you played these other games, and enjoyed. Then probably no reason you shouldn't enjoy this. Other then EVE your list is pretty much right in line with what this game is.

So I guess I'm saying #6. I'll be there :)

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

If those are the choices, I'd go with SW:TOR. The others are outdated or worse games.

What's confusing to me, and I just have to ask...why will you not be able to game once you're married? You should be marrying a gamer girl and playing MMORPGs together!

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by lasu1

getting married next year.  This is my last hurrah of sordid, selfish, non-stop MMO gaming.

Going on the shackles after that huh. *comfort*

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Fozzik

If those are the choices, I'd go with SW:TOR. The others are outdated or worse games.

What's confusing to me, and I just have to ask...why will you not be able to game once you're married? You should be marrying a gamer girl and playing MMORPGs together!

Hes graduating Law school.  That means he will become a Lawyer and work a ton, then have to balance Family on top of that.  Hes not saying he wont play at all, just that this is his last time to be able to binge play without consequences.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

This^

It's what I did and it's worked out pretty well the last 8 years.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I'm inclined to agree with these other guys.  Make it something new - SWTOR.  It's like a last fling with someone - you'll hardly get to know her, and she'll be missed for a little bit once she's gone, but in a few weeks, she's forgotten and life goes on its happily married path.

Or you get totally addicted to it and make excuses to to your new bride so you can get "just oen more hour" in.

Either way, yeah, TOR.

edit:  By the way, congratulations on the impending graduation and marriage.  =D

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Id go with Star Wars.

It will be a new experience and everyone else will be experiencing it for the first time with you, and because of that its bound to have a stronger sense of community as other players have a brand new experience.

In my opinion that is just a great way to spend your last MMO binge.

• lasu1lasu1 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by marinrider

Hes graduating Law school.  That means he will become a Lawyer and work a ton, then have to balance Family on top of that.  Hes not saying he wont play at all, just that this is his last time to be able to binge play without consequences.

Yeah, this pretty much.

She's 100% ok with me playing games...even thinks it's "good for me."

But what I'm talking about here is one last sweet December filled with snow-covered landscapes, howling winds, beer, and me grinding out one more dungeon. And, y'know...really savor it...

Yeah, I was hoping to be talked out of SW:TOR...but, yea, I probably will end up doing that. What gets me is that EQ2 is actually MORE MONEY for a mid-level character like me (I'd have to buy DoV and AoD), while SW:TOR is actually cheaper (despite being brand new).

I'm definitely hoping to focus all of my energies on one game for a bit, rather than hop around. I'll probably keep playing LOTRO no matter what, I'll just drop to Premium.

EDIT TO ADD: Yeah, the post just above this one hit the nail on the head of what I'm looking for -- a strong community. You made a good point about SW:TOR being new...I'd imagine there'll be lots of people willing to log on at odd hours and group up.

• robert4818robert4818 Member UncommonPosts: 661

Originally posted by lasu1

Folks:

I don't know what to do. I need someone just to say: "Lasu1, do this." And, I'll do it. I'm obsessing over what to do and I'm not able to actually make a decision.

I need to know what game to play over my last holiday break. This is huge. I'm graduating from law school and getting married next year.  This is my last hurrah of sordid, selfish, non-stop MMO gaming. I want to soak it in.

Problem is...I can't decide which game to play.  I just need someone to choose for me. Here are the options:

1.) EQ2 - I enjoy the game, and its quite a bit of fun.  I also like the value that comes with the SOE mega pack.  (Planetside is a fun game, and is included in the sub cost, as is EQ1, and a few other games)

2.) LOTRO: I played this alot when it first came out.  Unfortunately I don't have much experience past then.  I will say this.  It was a lot of fun back then, and I don't think that's changed.  Its biggest downside was at lvl 1 you were fighting bees, spiders, wolves and bears, and at lvl 50 you were fighting bees, spiders, wolves, and bears....

3.) Maybe go back to WoW? Cataclysm is fun, changed up alot of the areas.  But it is still wow.  If thats your cup of tea, its good.  If not, well, cata isn't going to change that opinion.

4.) Maybe back to EVE? Personally, I hate this game.  

5.) Rift.... Great game, but if you've played it, I can't give you much more advice as you already know the pro's and cons.

6.) Give and just freaking get SWTOR. Played a bit of the beta.  To me the Story, while good, wasn't enough to make me want to really invest in it.  That level of WoW clone just didn't really fit my fancy.

I'm sorry to bother you. I just really can't decide and it's driving me NUTS. So...someone...anyone...please: just tell me what to do! Thanks SO much. It'll be so much better to have the decision made for me!

Replaced your text with yellow answers.

For me, if I had to choose, I would probably go with either the EQ mega pack, and play EQ2 for the value.  Or I would go with rifts for its fun and unique twists on the WoW formula.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Of your choices and what i take from your post.. i would say WOW.

Thats is if you have both The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King. If not then you are talking more cash to get going there again.

Not going to knock SWTOR.. but it comes down to it is a new MMO, and really, how many do launches well? So if they do have any issues how much of your playing time would that take up as well?

Last thing, is if you decide to go that route (SWTOR) maybe go ahead go check out LOTRO and get it DL'ed as well since it is F2P now, might be something to fall back on if your first choice has problems.

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

Just do SWTOR, atleast then you can atleast get into a game at the start and enjoy whatever hiccups occur.

Or wait it out for GW2. 

Either way it's tough to return to any game you have played before. Sure you might be able to play for awhile and rekindle that love but  that feeling of why you left will crop up.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Do yourself a favor and forget those games on your list and get yourself a Korean account and play either ArcheAge or Tera.  There are plenty of english speaking players playing them also if you are worried about that.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Dont you need a korean id to play those?

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• NiteynightNiteynight Member Posts: 6

if you do what other people tell you then you'll make a dam good husband after you get married next year, but anyways i suggest not playing mmos, or you'll be like me, going from one to the next for a cheap thrill til the grind kicks in, i've been doing that a year now, and you probably won't want to get married if you take the mmo route, mmos cause severe demotivation, not like it's a bad thing to not get married, if it wasn't all about the money marriage would be a good thing, at least marry an ugly wife, that way you won't come home one day like I did last year and all ur buddies are sitting on the couch drinking beer and flirting with your wife and you have to kick all their asses.  If you really want to please that future wife of yours tho I suggest not doing it.