Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: Front-Runner for the Sandbox Crown

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest review at MMORPG.com, we take a look at the post apocalyptic world of Fallen Earth. Read on to find out why it's said in the review that Fallen Earth is the "front runner for the Sandbox Crown". Be sure to leave us a comment or two when you're finished reading!

It is always nice to find communities within MMORPGs, and Fallen Earth boasts a helpful and active population. The "Help" chat channel is always buzzing with Q&A, and veteran players will, in my experience, stop and give a helping hand to those in need. The addition of the F2P has also brought with it a bounty of new players, each as confused as the other, so fumbling through those opening stages will never be lonely. With an active YouTube fan base, as well as a number of guides, the community of Fallen Earth is if nothing else, productive, helpful, and engaging.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Fallen Earth: Front-Runner for the Sandbox Crown.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

-.-''

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Really? Is it going to take it from EvE?

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Eve is always considered the sandbox, but sandboxes are about freedom. How many people truly feel they have the freedom to do everything in the confines of a spaceship?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Xzen

Well, anything is possible. FE is more approachable than Eve, and the cost to start playing it is lower. They could easily get more players than Eve, even if they don't get more paying players.

** edit **
    Also, it's only two years old. Add a couple years of polish, compared to the slowing development of Eve, and you get Fallen Earth as King (or Queen).

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Xzen

Let us see it is F2P, easier to get into, a lot more helping and mature community than EVE, players don't quit in frustration after being harrassed, ganked, camped or whatever. You have to take all things into factor and not  just how the game plays itself.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Problem with Fallen Earth, it has always faced the question is it really a sandbox.  From my point of view, Eve is far more of a sandbox than Fallen Earth, hence you can't take a crown if you really aren't a true sandbox.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I have my doubts, I think it is likelier that WoDO will take over after Eve tha FE.

I  might be wrong though, Eve didn't start that well but turned the game around, maybe FE can do it as well.

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129

unless you can terraform and build structures piece by piece in Fallen Earth, I think Xsyon takes lead in 'sandbox'. But thats just my opinion.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Problem with Fallen Earth, it has always faced the question is it really a sandbox.  From my point of view, Eve is far more of a sandbox than Fallen Earth, hence you can't take a crown if you really aren't a true sandbox.

This.  FE is a true theme-park/sandbox hybrid, but it is far more like WOW than it is UO or even EVE.

I enjoyed the title, but it has longevity issues which had players leaving in droves at end game (because, there isn't one)

Maybe its changed since I played it (about a year after it launched) and since its now free to play I might give it another go.

edit: Thank God there's a thread to post in that isn't about SWTOR  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Fallen Earth is not a sandbox MMO. It has some sandbox elements, but it has far more themepark elementals. At best it's a hybrid MMO, but it's by no means a sandbox.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Fallen earth was too Quest stacky and linear for me. 

Crafting was good but it doesn't off the freedom of a game like EvE.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Will d/l this now and give it a try. was going to buy it back in the day, but heard bad things.I'm not sure EVE is for certain types of sandbox gamers. it's highly complex. but in truth after a few hours of play i found it lackluster. i think people prefer ground game based sandbox better. Gonna check this out.

• DonevDonev Member Posts: 143

I never understood why people keep touting that FE has great crafting. 

You take X amount of Elements and make Y Item. How is that any different from any other game out there? The only difference in FE crafting and WoW crafting, is that there are longer manufacturing times on FE's items. You don't get random stats. You can't really upgrade items. You really can't do much, other than just make Y and Y is always Y no matter if Bob made it or Jim made it, it's still the exact same item.

• VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220

I don't agree that FE was ever a sandbox, not by any stretch. It was too quest-heavy and  was level-based. Much too themepark to even call it a hybrid, imo...

Edit: oops, typo.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Ceridith

Fallen Earth is not a sandbox MMO. It has some sandbox elements, but it has far more themepark elementals. At best it's a hybrid MMO, but it's by no means a sandbox.

I agree.  I think it just gets called a sandbox because the genre is so lacking in real sandbox games, like UO and SWG used to be.  Now, there's just EVE, which is very niche, even for a sandbox.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

Now, it has been a long time since I tried out FE but it had some issues that made me favor EVE much more.

As example, in EVE I can mine Tritanium on my first day that, potentially, will be bought by a five years old veteran for his Titan construction. This allows cash flow from veteran players to rookies and allows the smart player to avoid some of the money grind. I did not like that veteran players had zip interest in anything I could produce or acquire in FE.

In EVE the Market binds players together both new and old. Did they even get prober market mechanics besides silly auction houses in FE?

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

might try this out

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Meh, I don't really consider FE a sandbox.  The crafting side of it might be, but the leveling side? Nope.  It's pretty much, do every quest possible to get max points to spend.  The combat is quite lackluster and what else is there to do besides level up, craft and pvp?  

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by Donev

I never understood why people keep touting that FE has great crafting. 

You take X amount of Elements and make Y Item. How is that any different from any other game out there? The only difference in FE crafting and WoW crafting, is that there are longer manufacturing times on FE's items. You don't get random stats. You can't really upgrade items. You really can't do much, other than just make Y and Y is always Y no matter if Bob made it or Jim made it, it's still the exact same item.

I think it's mostly to do with the fact that what you craft in Fallen Earth is actually useful. In many games, you end up crafting stuff just to level up your crafting. In Fallen Earth (which I haven't played for a long time, I might add, might as well check back to see how it's doing!) most of the stuff I was using was crafted by none other than myself.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

What is and isn't a sandbox is another debate on to itself.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Ya, the term "sandbox" is pretty subjective. I've always enjoyed FE, but to me, it's no sandbox. A game like Wurm Online is what I define to be a sandbox game. FE is more an open world themepark, because areas essentially have level requirements.

Joined - July 2004

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by shakermaker0

What is and isn't a sandbox is another debate on to itself.

When an MMO that isn't really a sandbox MMO is being discussed as potentially being labeled the "best sandbox", then what is and isn't a sadbox becomes relevant.

At this rate we might as well throw WoW and SWTOR into the race for best sandbox MMO.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

None of this is relevant as this has become a pay to win game. To bad really as I think it had potential.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Eve is always considered the sandbox, but sandboxes are about freedom. How many people truly feel they have the freedom to do everything in the confines of a spaceship?

How many people truely feel free doing every thing in the confines of an avatar?

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

It's a hybrid with good crafting. I.e. it's like SWG. Certainly not a front runner for a "sandbox crown".

UO and EVE are the kings in the genre and that doesn't look like changing for some time. It remains to be seen what happens with Archeage and WoD looks like vaporware at the moment. But these are the only potential "challengers" on the horizon.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."