Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now they decide to add atmospheric flight? 2 months before they shut down SWG?

124»

Comments

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Z3R01

Originally posted by SuperDonk

If they can somehow manage to get the SW out of the game, then maybe it relaunches.  Otherwise this game is dead forever. 

It does seem like a cruel joke that they would bring something as cool as flying around and killing each other on the planets after this game is scheduled for demolition.  Touche SOE.

Once SWTOR crashes and burns to mediocrity this game will get the green light to go f2p.

We all know the only reason SoE is shutting this down is so LA can soak up every bit of the SW fans into TOR. Once TOR proves itself to be nothing but a normal mmo and not a massive 11+ million sub juggernaught LA will loosen its grip and you will get SWG back 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151

If they can somehow manage to get the SW out of the game, then maybe it relaunches.  Otherwise this game is dead forever. 

It does seem like a cruel joke that they would bring something as cool as flying around and killing each other on the planets after this game is scheduled for demolition.  Touche SOE.

Once SWTOR crashes and burns to mediocrity this game will get the green light to go f2p.

We all know the only reason SoE is shutting this down is so LA can soak up every bit of the SW fans into TOR. Once TOR proves itself to be nothing but a normal mmo and not a massive 11+ million sub juggernaught LA will loosen its grip and you will get SWG back 

lol SWTOR wont crash and burn. it will be running for very long time. if star wars galaxies can run on life support for years then swtor can go least 8 to. this is BIOWARE king of RPG so for whatever your reason to hate you might as well get over it swtor is here to stay alongside games like Guild wars 2 and WoW

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Next week it will be "oh just before we go down, look what we found, the pre-nge disks, I knew I put them somewhere. Anyway here you go have a few weeks of this". I would fkin lmao until I puked blood.

Oh man, I laughed so hard at this. Hahaha.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by randomt

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

If this is legit, it goes along with my theory that Smed's comments about "shutting down SWG was SOE's idea" don't quite hold water.  Why put money into development of a game that's shutting down.  It just doesn't add up.

My first impression is that this is a gesture to the player base saying something along the lines of "sorry everyone, we have to shut it down, so since it doesnt matter anymore, here's something fun to fool around with til the end" sort of thing

You forgot one part...As long as you Sub before Sept 15th you can fool around with it...Otherwise...Not so much...image

• Originally posted by Z3R01

I have this feeling that SWG is going to get a F2p re-release later on.

I can see them touching up the game, wiping everyones progess and opening it as a micro transaction f2p.

Re-released f2p or they are going to use the engine for another game. My guess is they are using this last few months for some serious testing for future release with the engine. The engine is still a great backbone.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by namelessbob

Re-released f2p or they are going to use the engine for another game. My guess is they are using this last few months for some serious testing for future release with the engine. The engine is still a great backbone.

Rereleasing it with the Star wars IP ain't gonna happen, the license is pretty expensive and it sounds to me that Lucas art want the game down.

As for future releases with the engine, that is of course possible but it is more likely that they plan to use the new engine for PS2 and EQ Next for future releases.

I think the SWG devs were in the dark about all this and already had most of the work done. 

• ajac09ajac09 Member Posts: 13

I think there hoping for TONS of anger about shutting the game down then bring out " we decied due to our fans that we are going f2p"

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Wow....this...I'm at a loss for words.  SWG has been so off my radar that I hadn't even heard about atmospheric flight.  Question is, after wanting this for several years, do I throw $15 at SOE for one month of kewlnees....

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by Dredphyre

Wow....this...I'm at a loss for words.  SWG has been so off my radar that I hadn't even heard about atmospheric flight.  Question is, after wanting this for several years, do I throw $15 at SOE for one month of kewlnees....

The last day to resub to SWG was September 15th, so you couldn't throw your $15 at SOE even if you wanted to for some godforsaken reason.

Originally posted by Obee

The last day to resub to SWG was September 15th, so you couldn't throw your $15 at SOE even if you wanted to for some godforsaken reason.

Well....I guess that decides it then....can't even login one more time to bid my characters farewell....

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

And quelle surprise, atmospheric flight is looking like the usual SOE/SWG balls up. Been a fair few threads (considering the small remaining playerbase) raging over the debacle of how ship to ground pvp has been implemented in a bodged/rushed system.

Gotta laugh really.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

And quelle surprise, atmospheric flight is looking like the usual SOE/SWG balls up. Been a fair few threads (considering the small remaining playerbase) raging over the debacle of how ship to ground pvp has been implemented in a bodged/rushed system.

Gotta laugh really.

Rushed? Perhaps because the game was closing?  I mean, I'm no fan of SOE and what they did to SWG, but it seems to make sense that they'd been working on this feature when the the closure announcement went through. So they release this feature as is so people can get some enjoyment out of the work.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Gotta laugh really.

Rushed? Perhaps because the game was closing?  I mean, I'm no fan of SOE and what they did to SWG, but it seems to make sense that they'd been working on this feature when the the closure announcement went through. So they release this feature as is so people can get some enjoyment out of the work.

Yeah, I can see how in 8 years they haven't been able to get this working quite right...

I know what you're saying, and I'm torn...yes, it's nice for those who stayed with the game to at least "experience" it...but...MOTHER **edit**er that burns my ass that THIS has been in the code for 8 damn years and has never been expanded upon or developed until NOW. It’s quite honestly a game altering mechanic, a feature with so much “HOLY CRAP” value that it WOULD have drawn people to this 8yr old game. Why in God’s name did they not work on it at all before now??

Instead, the customers were told that because of the way the game was designed, objects ‘hit boxes’ were infinitely high (x & y axis only vs. x, y & z), which would result in a pebble on the ground causing a collision no matter how far OVER it you were. The excuses given, the lies told…yet, with just a few months work, a former QA guy turned “Dev” (Hajl) was able to make it what it is today – not perfect, but HOLY CRAP impressive.

I think this ability would have been a game changer – sadly, it’s little more than a footnote now.  

• Wookiee6648Wookiee6648 Member Posts: 131

I can see them touching up the game, wiping everyones progess and opening it as a micro transaction f2p.

Sorry to burst your bubble but ToR isn't going to crash and burn.   Face it SWG is dead.  It wont even go to F2P cause LA wont renew the license for them to use Star Wars anymore.  Anyway you are fail troll good day sir.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Gotta laugh really.

Yes rushed. Clearly they rushed it due to the fact the game was closing, but then why also rush the space to ground pvp system which has gotten many of the remaining players up in arms because it is something of a fk up? They have been locking down and removing any threads on the forums going on about the situation that is how bad it has become.

It is rather indicative of just how much of a fubar they have made when they get a 28 page thread on a forum in a matter of a day or two, when there are only ever about 70 active people on the forum in the first place.

SOE have a history of adding in systems and mechanics which have clearly not been thought through, not been tested and are simply bodged jobs. They have been doing this long before the closing announcement and I find it highly amusing that they have stayed true to form and managed to piss of a good chunk of their remaining playerbase when said playerbase has been whitled down to rose tinters and SOE/SWG apologists. Kudos to them for even angering those players tbh lulz.

So yes, it is clear why they wanted to get it out, but it is also classic SOE and classic SWG that it would be a botched and controversial effort.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Abdar

So you think SWG has more potential than swtor? lol.  If swtor cant get 11 million subs, how in the hell would SWG?

I think if the two games came out now, with equal graphics, SWG (pre NGE) would absolutely kill SWTOR.

rofl, keep dreaming, theres 2 reasons why SWG didnt crash and burn when it came out, its star wars, and there wasnt alot of options, if you think SWG woulod stand a chance against ToR your clearly a precu fanboy.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• PalatinePalatine Member Posts: 65

So you think SWG has more potential than swtor? lol.  If swtor cant get 11 million subs, how in the hell would SWG?

I think SWG had more potential than swtor 110%! Have you beta tested swtor = sh*t crap

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by Abdar

I think if the two games came out now, with equal graphics, SWG (pre NGE) would absolutely kill SWTOR.

rofl, keep dreaming, theres 2 reasons why SWG didnt crash and burn when it came out, its star wars, and there wasnt alot of options, if you think SWG woulod stand a chance against ToR your clearly a precu fanboy.

No kidding. That was the funniest post I've read in awhile. TOR is ten times the game SWG ever was.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Originally posted by Z3R01

Yeah, they have done to much stuff leading up to the "shut down" for it not to be used by something of Sony's later on. I think SWG or some incarnation of the code will return within the next 3 years.

The SWG atmospheric flight also might be a test case scenario for how it may work in Planetside 2 as well. Who knows, but SWG is a testing ground for sure atm.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Yeah, they have done to much stuff leading up to the "shut down" for it not to be used by something of Sony's later on. I think SWG or some incarnation of the code will return within the next 3 years.

The SWG atmospheric flight also might be a test case scenario for how it may work in Planetside 2 as well. Who knows, but SWG is a testing ground for sure atm.

I think a lot of what was done to SWG post-NGE was in the name of training dev nooblings and tesing out systems that would/coud be utilized in other $OE games, which also may have satisfied any possible requirement of  'regulary added content' by LA.

No matter....SWG NGE as we know it now is not coming back, ever.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Kazara

I think a lot of what was done to SWG post-NGE was in the name of training dev nooblings and tesing out systems that would/coud be utilized in other $OE games, which also may have satisfied any possible requirement of  'regulary added content' by LA.

No matter....SWG NGE as we know it now is not coming back, ever.

Why would it be a test for Planetside 2? It's a different engine for one and surely they'll be looking at Planetside for that :S