Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Master Beta Scorned

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There are a legion of fans out there who, like Cinderella being ignored for the Glass Slipper, did not get their Star Wars: The Old Republic beta testing opportunity. In today's Coyote's Howling, we learn just how bitter that can make a person. Read on!

In fact, I'm actually kind of relieved that I still haven't been selected to participate, as the act of beta testing no longer seems to glow with that same sense of honor and pride that once shined so brightly. Even the coveted title of "Beta Tester" has lost a bit of its luster as industry professionals with years of gaming and testing experience are cast aside in favor of the "leet-speak" slinging fourteen year old juvenile delinquent racists that they apparently prefer.

Read more Coyote's Howling: A Master Beta Scorned.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

"The entire industry will fold in upon itself and collapse in a pile of weak, unimagined games, and we will have no one to blame but all of the Beta Testers who got in."

I agree 100%... I say we we burn it pookie... BURN THIS MOTHER F*CKER DOWN!!!!

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

A Master Beta eh image

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Thank you. This article has touched me in so many ways and at so many places i don't even where to begin.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I used to Beta test all the time.  I won't do it any more though.  The vast majority of Beta testers these days are not in the game to actually test it.  Their main purpose these days is to find all the exploits and loopholes they can find to give themselves the edge when the game starts.

About the only thing the developers get out of a beta like this, is a stress test on the server.  You can probably count on one hand the number of people who actually find problems and turn them in.

So yes, I completely agree with you Coyote.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

Wow, Coyote! You brought back a lot of memories with the opening few paragraphs of this article. I agree with you on basically every point. I especially agree that it' doesn't seem wise to get input from the unwashed masses rather than input from a core, dedicated, experienced group of testers.

Being a beta tester now is absolutely nothing like being a beta tester 10+ years ago, and I think it shows in the products that have been released.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If the zombie hordes of the internet are the ones who will ultimately consume the product, then it makes sense to find out what it is they will consume the most besides meme filled brains. Developers probably figured out that 500 or so really intelligent, experienced testers don't give them one whit of information that relates to how much most people will enjoy the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I remember back in the day, sometimes as a beta tester they would mail you actual CDs to install the client on.   Now it's a glorified free trial.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Paragus1

I remember back in the day, sometimes as a beta tester they would mail you actual CDs to install the client on.   Now it's a glorified free trial.

It is because the numbers have sored up and more players play the beta better the companies are prepared for launch day.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

You're better off Coyote, did you really want to beta test WOW-clone #237, you already know how everything turns out in the end.  image

I actually didn't even apply for the beta, i found that early access detracted from my longevity with the game because as it is I normally only enjoy a theme park MMO for 1-3 months.

Also, several titles that I played in late beta and early launch weren't very enjoyable, and then 6 months to a year later everyone raved about them, but I never go back to games I've left behind.  I figure this time I might give the title a chance to season some before jumping in.  (Did that with DAOC and played it for almost 3 years, same with EVE)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I don't dispute that at all.   I think it's actually better the way things are now.   The amount of information they must be able to gather the new way is probably much larger.   The only thing that strikes me as silly is the NDA and expecting that in today's age that it is even remotely enforceable or realistic to believe it is going to stop people from getting their leaked opinion out there in some way.

• logan400klogan400k Member UncommonPosts: 68

Nostalgia week for me. First an article on Planetside 2 brings back the Planetside memories and now early years Beta. In fact the two merge because I got into the Beta for Planetside.

As someone who was in the last two Beta weekends (don't hate me Coyote...) I can tell you the article even in its sarcastic tones is right on. There are too many kids in the beta and by kids I mean anyone of any age who cannot take it seriously. Believe me the same jerks who were making my pen n paper D&D game miserable in the mid 80's are making my MMO experiences miserable today.  I think BIoware/EA should have had the weekends with more structured goals in mind. Say an hour or two of players doing X then let us go and flail madly about the universe.

Ah well, its a pretty good game and I am going to play it, but I totally hear what the article is saying

Just My 2 Lunars

• BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103

Agree 100% with OP

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

You didnt miss anything Coyote.

If you have Beta tested any MMO in the past 3-5 years its much the same as them.

Shallow, linear Themepark crap, but now with a Star Wars skin

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I'm actually one of the guys who nowadays only betas a game to see if it could possibly be worth my money. Been burned by so many bad releases, i take chance to check in pre-release whenever i can, esp. when a game comes at horrendous price like SWTOR.

In my early betas, i used to send reports like crazy, contributed like a nolifer in the beta-forums, spent nights bug hunting...spoiled my own experience for launch. It never made any game better though, as in many betas the devs didn't listen to you unless you were that certain forum dweller with 5k posts who on top of his posting also emails every developer.

Also in the process of beta-testing, i found many companies just not being honest to the testers. Hiding too much stuff, no response on features missing, no endgame testing ("it's being tested by our internal crew"), unfinished game and bugs galore 3 weeks prior release ("don't worry, we are always builds ahead and what you test is not the final") is not worth my time anymore.

Games will not only keep on failing because the companies rather invite a bunch of 12yr old brats to test, but also because they just don't listen enough to those who really want to help making a better game.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I actually got my code off this website.. But i never tested it.. Im one of those people that dosn't like beta testing, i feel it ruins the mystery of the game.. I beta tested Rift before purchaseing (or stress tested it at that point) and by the time the game rolled around i felt like i seen all the zones and experienced most of the starting areas.. It wasn't until i got out of Gloamwood till i started feeling like i found new things to explore.

I've got a newly upgraded computer sitting here waiting for this game.. Gonna pass on beta testing and just wait for the earlie start.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• NURTANURTA Member Posts: 21

MASTER BETA!!!!!

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I used to Beta test all the time.  I won't do it any more though.  The vast majority of Beta testers these days are not in the game to actually test it.  Their main purpose these days is to find all the exploits and loopholes they can find to give themselves the edge when the game starts.

About the only thing the developers get out of a beta like this, is a stress test on the server.  You can probably count on one hand the number of people who actually find problems and turn them in.

Really?  A majority are just there to find exploints?  I think you have it a bit wrong.  Most testers are there to play the game to see if they like it, but not to actually test the game.  They are there to find out if they are going to want to buy it at launch.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Pretty much spot on.

For most people the "Beta" is a chance to try out the game, spam general chat with WoW and chuck norris jokes, and bash the game they are in Beta for.

I actually remember times when being in Beta wasnt for the masses and was for testing.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Sadly you are 100% correct.  What's even more discouraging is to see people who are long time beta testers of games then come out and proclaim how wonderful the game is even though they release as buggy and boring pieces of crap.  It makes me wonder how much real, constructive, and effective feedback they've ever given the developers about the product they're supposedly testing.  Ah well, for the state of TOR and some of the things that game does wrong, I blame the developers for not listening, the testers for epic failing, and the media for the nut hugging coverage this game has gotten throughout its development.

• EnochiEnochi Member UncommonPosts: 12

Personally im the opposite. I was the guy who never got in the betas and would end up buying the game the day it came out....to find it sucked balls. I really have enjoyed the new wave of betas that test one very important aspect that has ruined so many launch days and was not previously tested enough in the olden days. Stress Testing. In the SWTOR if you bothered to read any of the notes they left you will find that there was a relatively few that where allowed to truely beta test the game before they gave a beta weekend to everyone to do the stress testing. Hell they even staggered the join times for betaers so it could "more simulate a launch invite"

I know your trying to be negative in the Style of Yahtzee from Zero punctuation or Doug from the Nostalgia Critic but really you come across more as being a self absorbed whiner then humorous.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171

Originally posted by marinrider

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Really?  A majority are just there to find exploints?  I think you have it a bit wrong.  Most testers are there to play the game to see if they like it, but not to actually test the game.  They are there to find out if they are going to want to buy it at launch.

I'm pretty sure zorv..eh ozmodan was in the beta.  I think he was aware of the real reason people were testing.

... well.. honestly most of them were in just so they could leak information to their buddies,  or,  barring that... tell their mailman about it.

• Mr.CoyoteMr.Coyote Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Enochi

I know your trying to be negative in the Style of Yahtzee from Zero punctuation or Doug from the Nostalgia Critic but really you come across more as being a self absorbed whiner then humorous.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171

Originally posted by Mr.Coyote

^ thats a terrible picture of you Coyote.

• NURTANURTA Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Mr.Coyote

I don't know I'd say it's pretty spot on.  He's such a damn jesus freak.

• Mr.CoyoteMr.Coyote Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by maskedweasel