Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What class will you be come launch

13»

Comments

• DianicDianic Member Posts: 69

Every game I'm ever played, I've always been a Wizard/Sorceror/Mage/Caster/Glass Cannon/Etc...  When the idea of the Inquisitor hit the table, I was immediately intrigued.  Some things tied to the class really rubbed me the wrong way.

From my understanding, and if anybody can confirm please feel free to chime in, some sort of healing aspect (AE or Direct) is tied to the Inquisitor.  This class can also be used as a back-up tank.

Would these statements be true?  The reason I ask is these tidbits make me want to stay clear of the Inquisitor completely.  I HATE HEALING & I HATE TANKING.  I've never been a fan of that type of play style.  My preference is to bring as much pain as humanly possible.  Yes, I'm a DPS whore and I want to be at the top of the list.  I strive each and every day to improve my character in whatever way possible to maximize its DPS performance.

So... for the first time ever, I'm going with a Sith Warrior - Marauder.  Dual-Sabers to bring the pain.  It is a departure from my norm and I'm not completely comfortable with the idea... but I'm getting used to it.

Again, I ask those more familiar with the specific mechanics of the game, would my above statments hold true?  Is the Inquisitor more of a hybrid class (like a Shaman/Druid/Red Mage/etc...), or does it play like the Wizards of yesteryear?

On a related note --- BOUNTY HUNTERS ARE AWESOME!  Missle to the face + blaster as I run into melee range = Jet Pack Uppercut you in the face!!!  I imagine it gets even more exiting as you level higher.  Nice twist to MMO's and quite fun!

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by natuxatu

i will be the healer class... i know little about star wars but i know in MMOs I like to heal ^^

3 advanced classes out of the 8 on each side will be able to heal. Conventional wisdom is leaning toward the Jedi Sage/Sith Inquisitor being the best healer but I suspect that is not how Bioware intends to balance it. On the bounty hunter > mercenary I found healing to be easier because you also get a healing companion. Was able to duo Black Talon at lvl 10 with a lvl 12 marauder with out companions filling out the team.

All die, so die well.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by Dianic

Every game I'm ever played, I've always been a Wizard/Sorceror/Mage/Caster/Glass Cannon/Etc...  When the idea of the Inquisitor hit the table, I was immediately intrigued.  Some things tied to the class really rubbed me the wrong way.

From my understanding, and if anybody can confirm please feel free to chime in, some sort of healing aspect (AE or Direct) is tied to the Inquisitor.  This class can also be used as a back-up tank.

Would these statements be true?  The reason I ask is these tidbits make me want to stay clear of the Inquisitor completely.  I HATE HEALING & I HATE TANKING.  I've never been a fan of that type of play style.  My preference is to bring as much pain as humanly possible.  Yes, I'm a DPS whore and I want to be at the top of the list.  I strive each and every day to improve my character in whatever way possible to maximize its DPS performance.

So... for the first time ever, I'm going with a Sith Warrior - Marauder.  Dual-Sabers to bring the pain.  It is a departure from my norm and I'm not completely comfortable with the idea... but I'm getting used to it.

Again, I ask those more familiar with the specific mechanics of the game, would my above statments hold true?  Is the Inquisitor more of a hybrid class (like a Shaman/Druid/Red Mage/etc...), or does it play like the Wizards of yesteryear?

On a related note --- BOUNTY HUNTERS ARE AWESOME!  Missle to the face + blaster as I run into melee range = Jet Pack Uppercut you in the face!!!  I imagine it gets even more exiting as you level higher.  Nice twist to MMO's and quite fun!

The inquisitor as sorcerer can heal and it looks like they are generally being regarded as THE healer even though the mercenary and the operative can heal. But the sorc also appears to be the closest thing to a dps caster. two of the three skill trees are dps but It looks like you will still be able to do decent heals even when not specced for it. You might be able to get away with telling people that you only want to do off healing because you are specced for lightning dps or such.

You have to go assassin to get the tanking tree though. and you can't switch advanced classes so an inquisitor will be either part healer or part tank but never both.

If you want a pure ranged dps you will need to go with the imperial agent > sniper.

All die, so die well.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Dianic

The healing and tanking aspect of being an Inquisitor ONLY applies to if you spec that way.  If you spec as an Inquisitor > Sorcerer>Lighting spec, you are a ranged dps, just like a mage.  Although you will receive some rudimentary ability to heal, they will be pretty weak and used only for self-heals or back up healing in a pinch.  To be a healer or a tank, you need to spec completely differently than you would if you are going to dps.

Fear not, if you want to just do ranged dps, the spec above will be exactly that for you.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Well, I'll probably go with Imperial Agent.

It's just that "insight into the inner workings of the Empire" thing that intrigues me. Way back I was amazed by TIE Fighter, not only because it was just such a good space combat game, but also because playing on the Empire side and having a peek into its inner workings was a thrill. Hoping for the same thing here. It's the main pull of the game for me, seeing as I'm not thrilled with the MMO mechanics Bioware went for.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Sith Inquisitor/Sorcerer so I can torture Jedi Knight's Muahahahahahahahaha.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

My main toon will be a trooper to play with friends while my main alt will be a bounty hunter. 

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by jugularvein

I'm not sure if the poll was allready out but I figured what the heck start one anyways. From the recent experience from the game, either via beta, reviews, youtube, etc., I wanted to see what everyones starting class choice would be.  I'll give a quick insight on mine.  I'm going jedi consular (but with dark side answers.)  Why you may ask, well I wanted Imperial Agent to be my first choice but after beta I really couldn't get into their storyline.  I tried all the other classes and consular was the one that fit for me.  I was first sold on impact which is a great looking skill, but after putting together my first lightsaber, I said thats the class.  My second choice would prob then be Bounty Hunter.  If you played the beta the BH is pretty awesome to work with.  What do you guys think?  Im so damn excited ;) ;)

I actually loved the IA story in my 4 days of beta. I chose IA for beta cause it was the class I had least interest in wanting to play come launch. And I quite honestly loved it. Each his own I understand. But, I thought the story thru my 23 lvls was put together quite excellent. /shrug

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Blackrayn

I actually loved the IA story in my 4 days of beta. I chose IA for beta cause it was the class I had least interest in wanting to play come launch. And I quite honestly loved it. Each his own I understand. But, I thought the story thru my 23 lvls was put together quite excellent. /shrug

same situation here... EXACTLY!  Had to stop.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'll probably still be IA.  It was my choice when classes are announced.  The storyline is really great, and the voice acting is good.  If not that then i'll probably have a female twi'lek counsular.  Although I dont' like the story as much, the voice acting for female characters are so much better than the males.

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by Gravarg

I'll probably still be IA.  It was my choice when classes are announced.  The storyline is really great, and the voice acting is good.  If not that then i'll probably have a female twi'lek counsular.  Although I dont' like the story as much, the voice acting for female characters are so much better than the males.

Lol, again I really liked the male VO for IA. Didn't care as much for the JK female voice, SI female voice was good. Someone in here made the comment about playing a woman for the empire cause, woman are much more cruel. I felt the same way, which is why I rolled my SI as female lol. I dunno, I'm gonna be in this game for a while. I loved all 3 of the class's I played.

• AngelfireAngelfire Member Posts: 145

Well I have a viscious case of altitus so I tend to almost not have mains... the characters I know I will be playing are Sith Inquisitor (assassin), Imperial Agent (healer), Republic trooper (commando), and Jedi Knight (two sabers, forgot the name).. had fun with all of those.. but I will by the end of the SWTOR career likely have one of each class in the game. I just the love the stories so much.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Wow.....lots of Bounty Hunters so far.

Good choice!! One of my favorites.

I will probably start with a Juggernaut myself, since that's what I had always intended to roll first.

Then likely BH, powertech.

Then Assassin.

Then......???

• jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

Really suprises me that the Jedi Knight is coming in as least favorite. And even more suprising thats the duel weilding class. 0.o  While I beta tested believe it or not on a Jedi standpoint it looked like sage was the least favorite.

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

Powertech Bounty Hunter, would have gone with Sith Warrior Juggernaut but there were already too many people planning to play that class in my guild. I'm not really surprised Bounty Hunter is so high, its got a great overall look and gameplay feel that I would have been surprised if it was the opposite.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

Merc-BH

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by Superfluous

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by VikingGamer

. Men can be mean and selfish but nobody does cruel like a woman.

So true.  All of my evil characters are women.  

That's strange! I'm a woman and all of my evil characters are men. The women I make are usually toughies with good intentions. Why do I even pretend my soulless pixels have personalities to begin with? 

Yeah, but you people have the Lifetime channel....

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I did find the smuggler interesting, but I will probably go healer and roll consular.  If that bores me, I'm out.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I'm going to go with a female human smuggler. I played one in beta and really found the cutscenes amusing, I had a lot of fun with it. I was going to go with Jedi Sage but after testing it in beta I really didn't like the companion. I couldn't stand five minutes with it, never mind the whole game.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

I had always intended to play Jedi Knight. Having played the Sith warrior, I will be making a Sith secondly.

The Jedi will be my typical good guy RPG character. The Sith is going to be one evil bastage, which is unusual for me in RPGs.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Originally posted by Superfluous

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by VikingGamer

. Men can be mean and selfish but nobody does cruel like a woman.

So true.  All of my evil characters are women.  

That's strange! I'm a woman and all of my evil characters are men. The women I make are usually toughies with good intentions. Why do I even pretend my soulless pixels have personalities to begin with? 

Yeah, but you people have the Lifetime channel....

"You people" ? Do you plan to make a BET comment next?

FYI Stereotypes based on race/creed/sex are friggen lame. This is a MMO discussion site. Categories based on what games we play would seem a bit more appropriate.

Do with it what ya will.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.