Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Glitch: Tiny Speck Unlaunching the Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In what is unheard of in the MMO industry, Tiny Speck has announced that it is "unlaunching" Glitch, its inaugural title. The team has plans to continue service to Glitch but will place the game back in beta phase to give developers time to work out gameplay issues and more.

“There are two obvious and huge improvements we need to make: the first is to make the early game reveal itself more easily to new players so they can get into the fun faster,” Butterfield wrote. “The second and larger task is to give those players who have gotten over that initial hump and fallen in love with the game — spending dozens or even hundreds of hours playing — the creative tools that they need to change the world in more tangible ways: building whole new locations themselves, designing new buildings, setting up resource flows and forming flexible organizations to create bigger things together.”

Read the full report at Venture Beat.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JonathJCenJonathJCen Member UncommonPosts: 202

"In what is unheard of in the MMO industry, Tiny Speck has announced that it is 'unlaunching' Glitch" (Suzie Ford).

To be quite clear, if people recall the recent history of APB being moved back into beta testing, this statement becomes false, doesn't it?

The only "unheard" of part in their actions would be that they are applying a new lable to it, quite clever when one is familiar to what psychologists and sociologists call labeling theory, in order to help reduce criticism.

I am neutral to their actions, my point is not to criticise the company's decision. I do, however, feel like it was needed to point out this unclear journalistic qoute, which could possibly be missleading, for a future refernce to the author. 

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Originally posted by JonathJCen

"In what is unheard of in the MMO industry, Tiny Speck has announced that it is 'unlaunching' Glitch" (Suzie Ford).

To be quite clear, if people recall the recent history of APB being moved back into beta testing, this statement becomes false, doesn't it?

The only "unheard" of part in their actions would be that they are applying a new lable to it, quite clever when one is familiar to what psychologists and sociologists call labeling theory, in order to help reduce criticism.

I am neutral to their actions, my point is not to criticise the company's decision. I do, however, feel like it was needed to point out this unclear journalistic qoute, which could possibly be missleading, for a future refernce to the author. 

Didn't a different company take over and redo APB though?  And I'd think they'd want to beta test it.  So I think this is a first with Glitch yes.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Sounds good, IMHO.  The game does need a bit more of a longterm hook, and it looks like they have some pretty good ideas on what sort of hook it should be.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Didn't a different company take over and redo APB though?  And I'd think they'd want to beta test it.  So I think this is a first with Glitch yes.

Depends...do you count FFXIV, or not?  Is a "play for free while we clean up this mess" the same thing as an "unlaunch"?

AO got a re-launch too, as I recall, back at the dawn of time.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

They've made it clear that all of their numbers are where they expected.  However, they didn't anticipate how much upheaval it would take to implement some of the newer creative tools they want players to have.  Their only recourse was to re-implement beta to allow for those changes to occur.

• mitarratmitarrat Member UncommonPosts: 50

Glitch is back in Beta....the joke makes itself.

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

While this is just a PR move, it does have sound reasons behind it. The game is great but has some large holes in it in terms of end game. I'm hoping this rethinking will allow for them to introduce some creativity based end game along with finishing off the minor issues they've been having with the servers.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Actually looked up this game today. Seems really interesting. So if anyone playing this game could maybe give me an invite? PM me :) Thanks!

• kevorkianjkevorkianj Member Posts: 54

Glitch is like heroin.

• w00fw0lfw00fw0lf Member Posts: 6

I've been waiting a few weeks for an invite. If anyone has any available invites remaining, I'd really appreciate one. Please PM and thanks in advance!