Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class mirroring

As usual in europe we have had the rough end of the stick with limited beta play time so wasnt able to try myself but ive been trying to keep up with everyrhing and cant wait to play.

I was just wondering from  people who have played both factions mirrored class whether its detracted  from some of the enjoyment or has the obviously immersive story line and questing negated the effect that these classes have an identical play style?  

Greatness is difficult to appreciate from close up. The great mountain on the horizon is only the ground when you are standing on it.

Comments

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I played BH and trooper, which supposedly are mirrored.  I didn't get the feeling it was the same as the stories were completely different.  Maybe their abilities are mirrored but the character and feel is different.  I really liked BH, enough to seriously consider that profession at launch for a main.  But I didn't care for trooper.

• paintchipspaintchips Member UncommonPosts: 107

The mirror classes are aesthetically different, for example the many mirror skills that the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight share have different combat animations.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

While the skills do the same thing mechanically, visually they are completely different which does give them a very different feeling. 

I was very surprised how much changing the icons/animations and types of weapons the class uses and how much it makes them feel different. 

• WahrHeitWahrHeit Member UncommonPosts: 57

IMHO....

If you want to be a trooper or BH the "coolest" are this...

If you wanna be a Commando or Mercenary...You pick Commando cuz launcher is cooler.

If you wanna be a Vanguard or Powertech, you Pick Powertech because its awesome.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Gets kind of iffy when you think about the mirrors that use different weapons.  Like Gunslinger/sniper:  One has a sniper rifle/knife the other 2 pistols.  Or Bounty hunter/trooper.  Pistol and shield/generator vs. rifle and shield/generator.  Or 2 pistols vs. an assault cannon/generator.

Not sure how that works.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Terranah

I played BH and trooper, which supposedly are mirrored.  I didn't get the feeling it was the same as the stories were completely different.  Maybe their abilities are mirrored but the character and feel is different.  I really liked BH, enough to seriously consider that profession at launch for a main.  But I didn't care for trooper.

Same here.  I played the BH a few weekends ago and the Trooper this past weekend, and although the abilities are identical in what they do, and the damage they put out, the classes felt different due to the differing weapon types, differing combat animations for each ability, and the storyline for both.  

As an example:   The Bounty Hunter's "Death From Above" ability is basically the same ability as the Trooper's "Mortar Volley," both are high damage AoE channeled abilities that utilzed a targeting reticule that you place on the ground.  You get both abilities at the same level, and the damage each puts out is identical.  However, they don't FEEL like the same ability at all.  The Bounty Hunter gets shot into the air from his jetpack and rains down havoc on his targets, while the Trooper lobs continuous streams of mortar rounds from his assault cannon.  Again, same result:  High AoE damage, but completely different feel.  Even though both abilities accomplished the same exact thing, I preferred Death From Above because it was just a much cooler look and feel.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Originally posted by Biggus99

Same here.  I played the BH a few weekends ago and the Trooper this past weekend, and although the abilities are identical in what they do, and the damage they put out, the classes felt different due to the differing weapon types, differing combat animations for each ability, and the storyline for both.  

As an example:   The Bounty Hunter's "Death From Above" ability is basically the same ability as the Trooper's "Mortar Volley," both are high damage AoE channeled abilities that utilzed a targeting reticule that you place on the ground.  You get both abilities at the same level, and the damage each puts out is identical.  However, they don't FEEL like the same ability at all.  The Bounty Hunter gets shot into the air from his jetpack and rains down havoc on his targets, while the Trooper lobs continuous streams of mortar rounds from his assault cannon.  Again, same result:  High AoE damage, but completely different feel.  Even though both abilities accomplished the same exact thing, I preferred Death From Above because it was just a much cooler look and feel.

Currently playing a level 50 gunslinger.  When I'm in a warzone and I see the BH start to go up in the air I immediately hit my interupt.  Not saying one is better than the other but I imagine if i was playing a sniper instead I'd have a harder time picking out a trooper about to use the volley.

That might be a factor, Idk.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Biggus99

The world ends the day after you say something bad about ToR. 8)
    Balance, heh
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I looked at the other thread and I couldnt find the exact anwser I was looking for.  So if you have mirror classes (Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Counsilor) and what I know of the advanced classes wont each advanced class play different depending on the aa points you put into the three different trees? 

It sounds like what EQ2 did originally.  You leveled as a class to 10 (mage) then your picked another class at 20 (summoner, sorceror?) and you picked your final class at later around 25-30 (necro, magician, enchanter, coercher(sp), warlock, wizard?).

Granted I only got to level 14 in both betas so some of I have placed above might be wrong.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by Beyorn

I looked at the other thread and I couldnt find the exact anwser I was looking for.  So if you have mirror classes (Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Counsilor) and what I know of the advanced classes wont each advanced class play different depending on the aa points you put into the three different trees? 

It sounds like what EQ2 did originally.  You leveled as a class to 10 (mage) then your picked another class at 20 (summoner, sorceror?) and you picked your final class at later around 25-30 (necro, magician, enchanter, coercher(sp), warlock, wizard?).

Granted I only got to level 14 in both betas so some of I have placed above might be wrong.

Yes, it totally makes a difference.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I played both the scoundrel and operative.

Although at their core they are the same some things made them feel drastically different for some reason:

1. Story - I can't say enough about this. They are completely different. The agent story is why I will play the game.

2. Weapons - To me the simple feel of a carbine blaster over pistol made all the different. Also the operative's melee is pure blade and not a mix of nut balling and shotgun or what ever that thing is with a 4 m range lol.

3. Style - hard to point out but even though the powers were the same in effect, I found myself using different rotations in favor of how they were implemented through animation. The agent to me was simply so much cleaner in concept and it reflected in play style.

I would imagine other classes wouldn't reflect such difference but it certain does in some mirrors.

You stay sassy!

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by Tamanous

I played both the scoundrel and operative.

Although at their core they are the same some things made them feel drastically different for some reason:

1. Story - I can't say enough about this. They are completely different. The agent story is why I will play the game.

2. Weapons - To me the simple feel of a carbine blaster over pistol made all the different. Also the operative's melee is pure blade and not a mix of nut balling and shotgun or what ever that thing is with a 4 m range lol.

3. Style - hard to point out but even though the powers were the same in effect, I found myself using different rotations in favor of how they were implemented through animation. The agent to me was simply so much cleaner in concept and it reflected in play style.

I would imagine other classes wouldn't reflect such difference but it certain does in some mirrors.

I had the exact opposite reaction. I played the Smuggler to 11 and then started with the Imperial Agent and got to about Level 6. I couldn't play any longer than that as I felt like I was playing the Smuggler. Hiding the differences behind minor graphical detail just isn't enough when your hotkey placements are in the exact same place doing the exact same thing.

The stories are, obviously, different, but it's not the stories you're playing. The stories are little cutscenes inbetween gameplay, and the gameplay is essentially identical. The weapons being different didn't matter either, it's a minor graphical thing. The character has a larger gun than the last guy did. It's still glaringly obvious that the effects are the same. Even the damage.

What might differ is when they branch off into advanced classes, as I gave up the IA before I got that far, but during the first 10 Levels they're the same class with different window dressing.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Me again. The patch notes are a good place to see how mirrored the classes are. Like, take these current ones:

Jedi Consular

General

• Force Potency now increases the range of Telekinetic Throw.

• Each use of Telekinetic Throw now uses a charge of Force Potency.

• Players are no longer able to cancel Force Lift’s debuff by right-clicking it.

Sith Inquisitor

General

• Recklessness now increases the range of Force Lightning.

• Each use of Force Lightning now uses a charge of Recklessness.

• Players are no longer able to cancel Whirlwind’s debuff by right-clicking it.

The characters are mirrored with their abilities so much that a change to one class directly affects the same 'abilities' on the other class. They're the same power with different names and graphics.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Mirrored classes is a blessing for PvP ballance..

In general i think that replayabillity will be brought back to 2 classes on each side and after that the journey will start declining. Because of how important the story is, i think you could easilly play 2 mirrors and have equall fun on both of them.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)