Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ugh, jetpacks

Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Thczu6UDA

I'm pretty sure one reason BFR's were hated cause they had jetpacks.

Combine jetpacks with spawn in the air and you got one goofy FPS.

Comments

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

LOL    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STFvyZgingE

"Defend our AMS!"

"Defend our AMS!"

"Defend our AMS!"

?????   Why defend the AMS if people are going to spawn in a galaxy?

• DryftDryft Member Posts: 1

Tribes had jetpacks.

Tribes was great.

Therefore, jetpacks = great :D

Seriously though, PS2 and Firefall are the two upcoming titles that I'm looking forward to the most just to break away from the "standard" MMO's and FPS.  

Originally posted by Dryft

Tribes had jetpacks.

Tribes was great.

Seriously though, PS2 and Firefall are the two upcoming titles that I'm looking forward to the most just to break away from the "standard" MMO's and FPS.  

Tribes is a lighthearted goofy FPS, not a game for barely semi-serious simmers or anyone interested in anything that remotely resembles strategic and/or tactical FPS gameplay.

Jetpacks on the Vanu MAX is a different thing, they sacrificed shields and firepower for that ability, and their range was pretty small, they couldn't jet all over the place like in that goofy tribes game.  They could barely make it to the top of the tower.  That was the Vanu max's niche, bu tyou give infantry a jetpack and it will no longer be a niche it will be over-used like the retarded ORbital STrike and Reveal enemies.

And again, a big reason BFR's were hated because they were flying around all th etime and you couldn't hit them.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Id say,  for every jetpack weary jockey they should be missle lock enabled the moment they leave the ground.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

I'm an oldtimer concerning Planetside. Played it on/off from the very open beta. And loved every moment of it. The addition of BFRs however was a thing what I never really approved. Silly, boring mechs in my opinion - which have no place in Planetside. I'm also against jetpacks, but they never said there would be jetpacks in Planetside 2.

Thank god BFRs were very easy to rip down if you had some coordination.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

The jetpacks are balanced just like the Vanu MAX's were in PS1.  Here's some official statements on them from the devs:

"Good News! You won't see everybody flying around using Jump Jets, they are limited to only (1) Class. Jump Jets are only available to the Light Assault Class, and there is a cool-down timer in place to prevent players from non-stop jumping. And for those who want to Jump-and-Shoot; go for it but keep in mind that while your Jump Jets are active your cone-of-fire is going to go way up, making it more difficult to hit that soldier on the ground."

And, paraphrasing Matt Higby (lead dev): "In this game, Fast Attack Infantry have jump packs. He says that they are powerful enough to leap soldiers over walls, but they cannot fly. These jump packs are mutually exclusive with Sniper Rifles, because he said that the jump packs allow for such excellent positioning, having a high-powered rifle as well would be overpowered."

You have to sacrifice to use them and they are on a timer and they are short ranged and they increase your COF (which is everything in Planetside when it comes to TTK).  So if you were okay with Vanu MAX's in PS1 then you should be okay with jetpacks in PS2.

p.s.  They're not just using COF this time either, but also kickback/recoil depending on the type of weapon.  Here's Matt Higby again on it:

"Bit more about this -

Certain weapons use one mechanic a lot more than others - for instance weapon recoil (kick / barrel rise, whatever you want to call it) doesn't work as well as COF for something like a hip-fired minigun or LMG, but it works great for an assault rifle in iron sights / scope. We have the capacity to apply both to differing degrees based on weapon type, movement (crouching, running, jumping), fire mode (iron sights, scope, hip fire). That gives us the maximum flexibility to make weapons that feels realistic ."

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by Aluvius

The jetpacks are balanced just like the Vanu MAX's were in PS1.  Here's some official statements on them from the devs:

"Good News! You won't see everybody flying around using Jump Jets, they are limited to only (1) Class. Jump Jets are only available to the Light Assault Class, and there is a cool-down timer in place to prevent players from non-stop jumping. And for those who want to Jump-and-Shoot; go for it but keep in mind that while your Jump Jets are active your cone-of-fire is going to go way up, making it more difficult to hit that soldier on the ground."

And, paraphrasing Matt Higby (lead dev): "In this game, Fast Attack Infantry have jump packs. He says that they are powerful enough to leap soldiers over walls, but they cannot fly. These jump packs are mutually exclusive with Sniper Rifles, because he said that the jump packs allow for such excellent positioning, having a high-powered rifle as well would be overpowered."

You have to sacrifice to use them and they are on a timer and they are short ranged and they increase your COF (which is everything in Planetside when it comes to TTK).  So if you were okay with Vanu MAX's in PS1 then you should be okay with jetpacks in PS2.

p.s.  They're not just using COF this time either, but also kickback/recoil depending on the type of weapon.  Here's Matt Higby again on it:

"Bit more about this -

Certain weapons use one mechanic a lot more than others - for instance weapon recoil (kick / barrel rise, whatever you want to call it) doesn't work as well as COF for something like a hip-fired minigun or LMG, but it works great for an assault rifle in iron sights / scope. We have the capacity to apply both to differing degrees based on weapon type, movement (crouching, running, jumping), fire mode (iron sights, scope, hip fire). That gives us the maximum flexibility to make weapons that feels realistic ."

As for jetpacks:  if they do work like Vanu jetpacks along with only one class being able to use them, it could be plausible, still rather have them being missle locked prone if they leave the ground.

As for COF:  ya, that needed to go to some extent. there was a method to the madness and people were skilled with handling the COF, but overall it just wont fly if they are aiming for a bigger audience.

As for Weapons: firm believer that each weapon, even with customizations,  all can be dangerous in the right hands.  

just to think abit crazy here -   me personally, i wouldnt mind if weapons can be suspect to environmental hazards, reducing/plaguing their performance in battle.

in example: assault rifles, being under water for too long, or a sand storm  clogging weapons to effect either their rate of fire , higher recoil, or much slower reloading time.

in turn certain customizations can help prevent enviornmental damage for weapons, that or players could pick up certain weapons that may not have the "end all" kill factor, but will at least strong in the reliability factor when in a heated, and most often times, changing battlefield.

I don't think flight time would be enough for AA lock and then the fire to reach them.  Just like Vanu MAX's, by the time you could theoretically get a lock their juice had already ran out and they were back on a surface.

I know they are planning for more environemental effects this time around plus they won't allow you to turn them off.  It was a shame they did that in PS1, the weather actually had some neat effects particularly the sandstorms but you were at a disadvantage if you had them turned on.  In one interview they even talked about prolonged widespread battles could even effect the weather with enough smoke.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by Nerf09

Tribes had jetpacks.

Tribes was great.

Tribes is a lighthearted goofy FPS, not a game for barely semi-serious simmers or anyone interested in anything that remotely resembles strategic and/or tactical FPS gameplay.

Jetpacks on the Vanu MAX is a different thing, they sacrificed shields and firepower for that ability, and their range was pretty small, they couldn't jet all over the place like in that goofy tribes game.  They could barely make it to the top of the tower.  That was the Vanu max's niche, bu tyou give infantry a jetpack and it will no longer be a niche it will be over-used like the retarded ORbital STrike and Reveal enemies.

And again, a big reason BFR's were hated because they were flying around all th etime and you couldn't hit them.

Yea that stament is really retarted...................

You try to pop someone mid air going 200 miles an hour and dont get your character splattered on the side of a mountian.....lmao

Stay on the ground, Jetpacks are for the real pros 3D style not 2D ground only......hahaa

Originally posted by Matticus75

Stay on the ground, Jetpacks are for the real pros 3D style not 2D ground only......hahaa

Planes are for 3D, not infantry.  They can also be locked on with missiles and can't spawn at an AMS.  You can be all  "pro" and badass in a plane.

• ermordenermorden Member Posts: 133

LOL    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STFvyZgingE

"Defend our AMS!"

"Defend our AMS!"

"Defend our AMS!"

?????   Why defend the AMS if people are going to spawn in a galaxy?

DUDE, thank you for finding this.  Just listening to this brings back so many absurd memories.  "DESTROY THEIR MEDICAL TERMINALS!"  LOL

• XyntechXyntech Member Posts: 3

Considering that these are more jump packs than full fledged flying jetpacks, I think it will be a positive addition to the game. It will allow for a greater level of mobility for the Light Assault class.

Everything will depend heavily on the designs of bases and towers though. The first Planetside had very clausterphobic base layouts. PS2 will need to have much more thought put into having high up access points for jump jetters, out of the way coridors and entryways for cloakers, etc.

So far, it looks to me like everything is shaping up pretty nicely. I for one welcome our new jetpack overlords.

• WiteBeamWiteBeam Member Posts: 9

The pictures of the light infantry with "Jet packs" are just that? Jet packs? In the NC turn around videos it says something about them being lateral leap packs, not vertical leap. So I thought they would just be like surge, but without the glowing boots.

Originally posted by WiteBeam

The pictures of the light infantry with "Jet packs" are just that? Jet packs? In the NC turn around videos it says something about them being lateral leap packs, not vertical leap. So I thought they would just be like surge, but without the glowing boots.

Lateral leap meaning they help you leap over walls but you have to have forward momentum built up ... just like the Vanu MAX jump jets in PS1.  You can trigger them standing still but they aren't as effective.  They only last a few seconds and then they need to recharge.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

yea these wille more like the VS max jump jets we beleeive. been able to jump onto of a tower without an aircraft or get into of walls to fight infantry dug in, i think its great.

Also all bases now have these shield generators around them it seems. a vehicle/air assault without infantry support maybe impossible if the shield isn't down.

I Imgine this would be located in an easily accessible location for the enemy though like an interlink LLU spawn point underneath the dish and it would allow small arms fire in much like a BFR shield, or be taken down by brute force.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Tribes had jetpacks.

Tribes was great.

As a Vanu player back in the day, you could get higher than the tower and land on top of it with a Vanu max unit. You just needed to be running mode. I often went in to the air from a run turned off running mode in the air and  killed those below me as a method of Vanu max crashing the enemy defences of a tower. Having  jetpack  unlock as a choice for every side to have on their soldier will be a bad idea, this is Planetside and hopes it stays that way and doesn't try to steal Tribes thunder at what Tribes does best. Look what happened to Battlefield identity when EA put weight on Dice to go after the cod crowed, you ended up with a game that's gave up traits it was well know for to try be more like something else it didn't need to be to compete.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by IAmMMO

Tribes had jetpacks.
    Tribes was great.

As a Vanu player back in the day, you could get higher than the tower and land on top of it with a Vanu max unit. You just needed to be running mode. I often went in to the air from a run turned off running mode in the air and  killed those below me as a method of Vanu max crashing the enemy defences of a tower. Having  jetpack  unlock as a choice for every side to have on their soldier will be a bad idea, this is Planetside and hopes it stays that way and doesn't try to steal Tribes thunder at what Tribes does best. Look what happened to Battlefield identity when EA put weight on Dice to go after the cod crowed, you ended up with a game that's gave up traits it was well know for to try be more like something else it didn't need to be to compete.

Planetside=tribes+tanarus*awesome

Planetside was always heavily influenced by tribes since thats where alot of the dev team came from.

this wont be like dropping a max on the roof though, this would be like dropping agile with MA, nor will we see people rocket jumping across the field with jetpacks., im pretty sure they willbe for accessing or climbing up cliffs and walls, and thats prob about it.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• Raymac26Raymac26 Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by IAmMMO

Tribes doesn't have a monopoly on jet packs. Plus the old Tribes games are great and the new one will likely be too, but despite the similarites, they are vastly different games. No thunder will be stolen. Don't worry.

Also, giving other empires jump jets doesn't make it any less "Planetside" than giving other empires lock-on weapons or shields. In fact, I think with the right map and base designs, jump jets will add a considerable amount of depth to the gameplay. It's not going to be like Tribes where everyone is flying around.

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

Try skiing as a Heavy, maintaining fire support on the mortar that your Light scout has laser targeted while dodging Light/Medium hunter/killer teams defending the base. Tribes could arguably have been one of the most deep tactical shooters of all time.

And as for skill, try hitting a target in mid-air with your disc launcher. While moving.

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

Only one class, the Light Assault, gets the jetpack.  It only lasts a few seconds.  Its on a timer.  You can't use large weapons like a sniper rifle with it.  Your CoF (Cone of Fire) will be huge.  We already have these on Vanu MAX's in PS1.

All of these things and more have been mentioned in this thread already.  Its not anything like the jet packs in Tribes.  How long till the next person reads the title only and says the same thing?

• WiteBeamWiteBeam Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by heavyhebrew

Try skiing as a Heavy, maintaining fire support on the mortar that your Light scout has laser targeted while dodging Light/Medium hunter/killer teams defending the base. Tribes could arguably have been one of the most deep tactical shooters of all time.

And as for skill, try hitting a target in mid-air with your disc launcher. While moving.

It took even a measureable amount of skill to just get across the maps in Tribes. Tribes Vengeance is still one of the best games I have ever played. But it's not even on the same level as PS. They are just so different. I have been playing Tribes Ascend Beta the past few weeks. It's a good game but really just Tribes again with much better graphics and more players online.

• GraywolvesGraywolves Member Posts: 2

Not everyone is going to have a jetpack. It's only going to be a small part of the game and I think they are going to balance it well.

The issue with BFRs was that they were too powerful and required too much work to obtain. When they first came out everyone just ran circles in the caverns capping bases with minimal fighting so that we would all get BFRs. Once that stopped it was lots of work.

They were just too decisive.

MAX Jumpacks are out now too.

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

Spoken like a person who never played the game.

Tribes 2 was probably one of, if not THE, highest skill ceiling capped FPS ever made. ANYONE can aim down sight whilst camping and get a head shot; a select few can land a 2000m away shot while factoring in the speed of the fall from gravity, spin, rotation, angle of descent, and forward progression.

Go back to Call of Duty if you're looking for ez mode FPS; but don't sit here and hate on a game for adding in extraordinary depth to a genre that hasn't evolved hardly at all in a decade.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...