Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will happen to this forum?

I enjoyed this forum more than the NGE, what happens when the plug is pulled on SWG? I will really have now where to go. lol

On a different note any one from Ahazi here? :)

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

It prolly will stay, becouse more old games that dont excist anymore have still a forum here.

Asherons Call 2 as example 6 years dead game but still have its own forum section here.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• PalatinePalatine Member Posts: 65

Ahhh, thats nice of mmorpg.com! :)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

It's also a convenient stop to criticize SOE (even more).  What better title, though shutting down soon, to pass by and kick SOE's reputation in the nuts as you visit other boards / games.  Every kick to them is well deserved.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Palatine

Right here!

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• PalatinePalatine Member Posts: 65

he he

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Thank you MMORPG.COM for not removing the forums of older games~!

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by Warmaker

It's also a convenient stop to criticize SOE (even more).  What better title, though shutting down soon, to pass by and kick SOE's reputation in the nuts as you visit other boards / games.  Every kick to them is well deserved.

Lets not forget the Mistakes LA made SOE put into SW:G.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by hipiap

Originally posted by Warmaker

Lets not forget the Mistakes LA made SOE put into SW:G.

Explain? Links? Proof?

LA wanted SOE to IMPROVE the game...SOE released the CU, then the NGE. LA gave up on SOE at that point - they lost ALL confidence that SOE was capable of improving the game and they turned to Bioware soon after.

If you have ANY evidence to support your claim, please provide it...but you don't. In fact, SOE employees have said just the complete OPPOSITE! They have stated that LA was extremely easy to work with.

You can keep thinking SOE is the 'victim', but to state it as fact is a lie.

• noxielnoxiel Member Posts: 48

Sory about the effort put on the game and the emplyees who tried but there is never a second chance to repair what was destroyed. When something crumble to the ground there is no repair there is a rebuild. We gamers wanted the same structure, SOE didn't and there was the big problem. The thing that worsen the situation was that the game crumbled in the blink of an eye.

There is something called trust and I don't trust SOE to repair the same thing they destroyed. I know I'm not the only one. The change wasn't accepted by the game comunity. Wanted to change the game call it SWGII or something. But still SOE didn't do it their loss and our misstrust. Hope other game developers like Blizzard and Bioware learn from this and don't mess up. Specially Blizzard whom is goin in a slow downward with a go for the casual gamer kind of approach and is starting not to work. Deadwing died on the same day of the patch, what a bummer. But Blizzard still has trust, SOE don't.

The question to answer is why SOE did not went to the roots of the game when they realize the change didn't work, because stubburness. What is working dosen't need to be repaired, but still they insist why, because stubburness.

Get this straight SOE you messed big time and there is no trust on anithing you guys build. Wan't to clean up the mess rebuild the same game, with the same mix that made it so great and maybe then the trust will slowly grow back. This millenium brought the dumbest kind of development, change to a more easy going, less stressfull kind of game and there is a problem wiht that it dosen't work all the time specially whit a game supposed to be played every day for years to come. Change the game the right way, but I sincerelly think is too late. SOE wanted something more easy to work with the game of SWG they got it no players.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by TUX426

Explain? Links? Proof?

LA wanted SOE to IMPROVE the game...SOE released the CU, then the NGE. LA gave up on SOE at that point - they lost ALL confidence that SOE was capable of improving the game and they turned to Bioware soon after.

If you have ANY evidence to support your claim, please provide it...but you don't. In fact, SOE employees have said just the complete OPPOSITE! They have stated that LA was extremely easy to work with.

This post tells us that the SWG forum will be up for years.

MMORPG wont close the forum down as long as people are posting in it and it seems like SWG vets still have many unsolved issues. ;)

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Originally posted by Loke666

Explain? Links? Proof?

This post tells us that the SWG forum will be up for years.

MMORPG wont close the forum down as long as people are posting in it and it seems like SWG vets still have many unsolved issues. ;)

After December 15th, All those who have played SWG (including those that are currently playing until then) will have 'Vet' status. image

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Judging by history it will stay open and have a few poster's conversing about the "good old days" and life will go on

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Originally posted by laserit

Judging by history it will stay open and have a few poster's conversing about the "good old days" and life will go on

I agree. SWG gave me the best experiences I have ever had in an MMO. I have moved on to other MMO's since I left, some better than others, but SWG will always hold a special place in my heart.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Explain? Links? Proof?

The Reverse is true....do you have links or proof that Everything in the CU and the NGE was Only the Fault of SOE?

No...you don't.

The CURB was needed for Many Reasons....and the Crafting Professions, Politician and Pilot were not the reasons.

LA told SOE to do something that would result in Higher Sub's. SOE went and did what was presumed to be what was needed...RE the NGE.  The Golden ring that LA was chasing was the WoW sub numbers...which everyone that had half a brain knew were not ever possible with any type of Niche Market MMO.

EvE and WoW are anomolies in the MMORPG market.

What it boils down to mister Former SW:G Senator Tux (as I recall) is that SOE isn't the Only Place to put the Blame.

LA owns most of it for causing SOE development to F up the game we all loved (regardless of the Era we played it in).

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

Explain? Links? Proof?

The Reverse is true....do you have links or proof that Everything in the CU and the NGE was Only the Fault of SOE?

No...you don't.

The CURB was needed for Many Reasons....and the Crafting Professions, Politician and Pilot were not the reasons.

LA told SOE to do something that would result in Higher Sub's. SOE went and did what was presumed to be what was needed...RE the NGE.  The Golden ring that LA was chasing was the WoW sub numbers...which everyone that had half a brain knew were not ever possible with any type of Niche Market MMO.

What it boils down to mister Former SW:G Senator Tux (as I recall) is that SOE isn't the Only Place to put the Blame.

LA owns most of it for causing SOE development to F up the game we all loved (regardless of the Era we played it in).

No. The reverse is NOT true. SOE was the DEVELOPER, LA was the license holder.

Google former SOE employee comments on the topic and you'll find the truth...in fact, I believe it was Dundee (Jeff Freeman) here on THIS forum who stated that LA's was GREAT to work with.

Here's MY proof:

“Is it hard to develop a game such SWG with so much interferences from Lucasarts?

Lucasarts was the most pleasant IP owner I have ever worked with. Professional, fast, concise, and willing to bend over backwards to make sure we could do what we wanted to do.

Plus, all of the liason’s we had on their end went out of their way to streamline the process.

Very positive relationship all-around.

Lucas Arts may have said to SOE "Hey, what can we do to get more subs?" or "Do what you need to to increase subs", but that does NOT place the blame for things like "zombies" (SOE admitted idea), flying pink Ewoks with purple hearts or 8+ years of unaddressed bugs at the feet of Lucas Arts. LA's should have been disappointed in the games subscription numbers - SOE should have been too...but SOE has the ultimate blame for ALL of SWGs failures because THEY controlled it ALL.

SOE lied about NUMEROUS things over the years mate. SOE acted slow, SOE didn't care, SOE failed to listen to the community, SOE told us "reading wasn't fun", SOE told us we wanted to "kill, loot, repeat", SOE pulled Devs off SWG to go work on other games (DCUO), SOE is the company that was willing to give up all their current customers for the ones they didn't have (W0Ws)...Lucas Arts made very few comments re the game over the 8+ years.

Star Wars is NOT "niche"...Star Wars is the most successful IP of ALL TIME! Star Wars sells by name alone (proof being episodes 1-3 :P ) .

You're free to believe SOE is great and all good mate...but their record speaks for itself.

• TemploiterTemploiter Member Posts: 127
    It amazes me why people blame LA for SWG's failure. They charged a flat fee for licensing their Intellectual Property (IP) to SOE who wanted to make a video game set in the SW universe (it was actually Verant Interactive before they were swallowed whole by SOE). Much like Bioware has done with SWTOR. LA had nothing to do with the development beyond protecting their IP. So, SOE was not allowed to make Jaba the Hutt be hot pink and Boba Fett be a Nuna Rancher.

These kinds of relationships happen all the time in video games. SOE was the only party involved in the relationship that had any incentive to increase subscriptions... LA got their flat fee regardless.

Temploiter
    WDMKR | Incarnate

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

No worries.  It will remain a last bastion of SWG fans who have seen their world turned dark.  Rally, I say... Rally.  We can bring it back!!! There is hope... somewhere... plz...

I self identify as a monkey.

• TellaxTellax Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by Kazara

Originally posted by laserit

I agree. SWG gave me the best experiences I have ever had in an MMO. I have moved on to other MMO's since I left, some better than others, but SWG will always hold a special place in my heart.

What Kazara said!

Best experiences ever in an MMO by faaaar, and a very special place in my heart!

Sad to see the game shut down, even though I didn't play it since NGE..

• TheiskareotTheiskareot Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Palatine

I enjoyed this forum more than the NGE, what happens when the plug is pulled on SWG? I will really have now where to go. lol

That does not sound like a compliment.

At least if there is logic involved lol.

Explain? Links? Proof?

No...you don't.

No. The reverse is NOT true. SOE was the DEVELOPER, LA was the license holder.

Google former SOE employee comments on the topic and you'll find the truth...in fact, I believe it was Dundee (Jeff Freeman) here on THIS forum who stated that LA's was GREAT to work with.

Here's MY proof:

“Is it hard to develop a game such SWG with so much interferences from Lucasarts?

Lucasarts was the most pleasant IP owner I have ever worked with. Professional, fast, concise, and willing to bend over backwards to make sure we could do what we wanted to do.

Plus, all of the liason’s we had on their end went out of their way to streamline the process.

Very positive relationship all-around.

Lucas Arts may have said to SOE "Hey, what can we do to get more subs?" or "Do what you need to to increase subs", but that does NOT place the blame for things like "zombies" (SOE admitted idea), flying pink Ewoks with purple hearts or 8+ years of unaddressed bugs at the feet of Lucas Arts. LA's should have been disappointed in the games subscription numbers - SOE should have been too...but SOE has the ultimate blame for ALL of SWGs failures because THEY controlled it ALL.

SOE lied about NUMEROUS things over the years mate. SOE acted slow, SOE didn't care, SOE failed to listen to the community, SOE told us "reading wasn't fun", SOE told us we wanted to "kill, loot, repeat", SOE pulled Devs off SWG to go work on other games (DCUO), SOE is the company that was willing to give up all their current customers for the ones they didn't have (W0Ws)...Lucas Arts made very few comments re the game over the 8+ years.

Star Wars is NOT "niche"...Star Wars is the most successful IP of ALL TIME! Star Wars sells by name alone (proof being episodes 1-3 :P ) .

You're free to believe SOE is great and all good mate...but their record speaks for itself.

And if anyone remembers... Freeman was here actually it was me that pulled him here.   Then Smedley too.. I posted emails here and he while sure hated it admited they were true.

But this is all old news... It was called a mistake and there you have it.    I caught so much Hell for all the things I posted you have no idea.    NGErs had a hard time swallowing how bad the game was and how much of a mistake it was.   In the end.. they pretty much now know more and how this would end.

I for one are glad the game is going away... it should have in the first two months of the NGE.. but people got Jedi... lol so they were happy I guess.   Most of us left and lets face it - SWG was a business.     But WHEN YOU GET CALLED THE WORST MMO OF THE YEAR ABOUT 3 years in a row and from this SITE!!!  You may have a problem.

Yet the NGE nay sayers didnt believe it.    Looks like we saw how that worked out for them.

Originally posted by Theiskareot

And if anyone remembers... Freeman was here actually it was me that pulled him here.   Then Smedley too.. I posted emails here and he while sure hated it admited they were true.

Dude...you're my hero! Freeman went by the name "Dundee" here I believe?! But I never saw Smed's replies...do you happen to know if those posts are still alive?

And Smed was/is great about actually replying to emails. I'll give the guy credit for that. He answers his OWN and deserves credit for doing something very few CEOs do - see...I'm not totally filled with hate :D

They could be I dont know I have them still somewhere as you can imagine and SOME of those people are still around creeping here actually lol.   I posted those and it raised all kinds of Hell --because then they called me out as lying.. only to have Smed himself actually admitting he did email me.   Which in turn even caused more of a issue.   Needless to say I was not on these forums after that much.    

The fanbois were angry, the haters were shocked it was a mess.     But when it doubt use links and real info... that always made more people mad..

Linking this sites own MMO awards to how bad the game was -- always worked..

Then the GAMASUTRA post from a Dev team meeting... hit the web, that one was good too lol.

But then the Smedley saying how it was a mistake but he is working on fixing it- just says so much AS PEOPLE PAID FOR IT!

I wish I could sell a product, then say.. well Im gonna change it 3 times, it wont work right after the third time and it will lose all its support and entertainment level at that point and I want you to keep paying me for it.

I mean what?

Instead of people standing up to SOE with their wallets they folded and now they will pay for it, i.e. they lost sooner then needed.

Here is some links -

http://www.gamasutra.com/search/?search_text=SWG

This will cover all of what I just said...  I mean if you have not read this, be warned it will anger you more.    To be honest I have no logical idea of how they did what they did to people and they still paid them for it.....  Free Jedi in the NGE or not.

Looking back I would say 50% of the people that stayed -- did so - because they wanted the free Jedi.

Pretty safe to say that.

Here is a big sign... while it is sad Jeff took his life... there is some words people should have read back then and asked HMM MAYBE THIS IS A CRAPPY THING TO PAY FOR???

"Veteran MMO designer, Raph Koster, who worked with Freeman on SWG and helped him find a job at SOE, said in a eulogy posted on his personal blog, "He spent a huge amount of time talking to the players, talking to people for years afterwards, explaining, apologizing, justifying what he didn’t need to and shouldn’t have had to."

"I want everyone to know that it was not SWG that lead him to take his life," added Archer on the forum. "He has been troubled for sometime. There were [a lot] of personal issues that tore at him. Regardless of how SWG turned out, we must admit that many of the great things we enjoyed about [the pre-combat update game] was because of his work."

Looking back at those statements - says alot.    Not about his personal issues BUT THE FACT HE FELT HE HAD TO SAY SORRY...

In otherwords if there was positive feelings or he felt good about the product in the first place none of those things would have happend, i.e. nothing to admit a mistake from if it wasn't.

Sad but very true.     Jeff was on these forums doing so at one time.   Needless to say it blew up all over the place that day I wont forget it.

Here is a big sign... while it is sad Jeff took his life... there is some words people should have read back then and asked HMM MAYBE THIS IS A CRAPPY THING TO PAY FOR???

"Veteran MMO designer, Raph Koster, who worked with Freeman on SWG and helped him find a job at SOE, said in a eulogy posted on his personal blog, "He spent a huge amount of time talking to the players, talking to people for years afterwards, explaining, apologizing, justifying what he didn’t need to and shouldn’t have had to."

"I want everyone to know that it was not SWG that lead him to take his life," added Archer on the forum. "He has been troubled for sometime. There were [a lot] of personal issues that tore at him. Regardless of how SWG turned out, we must admit that many of the great things we enjoyed about [the pre-combat update game] was because of his work."

Looking back at those statements - says alot.    Not about his personal issues BUT THE FACT HE FELT HE HAD TO SAY SORRY...

In otherwords if there was positive feelings or he felt good about the product in the first place none of those things would have happend, i.e. nothing to admit a mistake from if it wasn't.

Sad but very true.     Jeff was on these forums doing so at one time.   Needless to say it blew up all over the place that day I wont forget it.

Yeah, that post by Freeman is actually archived here.

I really admired Jeff for coming forward and taking the issue head-on. I know he realized the NGE was a mistake, but I believe him when he said it wasn't his place to say "no". He COULD have...but I think if most of our bosses came up to us and said "Do this!"...most of us would. Food, clothing and shelter pwn our desire to prove our boss wrong or to take the "I know better than you" route...especially when it's something as petty as an online game. However, if Smed came to him and said "Go blow up Blizzard", I like to think he would have refused. He may have been the guy that lead the development of the NGE, but Smedley is ultimately 100% liable for it.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

I was pretty pissed about what down with Freeman when news dropped that he was gone.

I bet if someone took the time to look thru MMORPG.com, you could still find a post or two where vets were wishing more folks died. This "vet" area of the boards has played home to some sick individuals. A certain "report" guy that felt the need to stalk me, and a few others comes to mind.

Which is a shame, as some did use this place to vent their grief in a healthy way. That said, I would like to see this place nuked, but the fallout on various other forums would be too much work for the mods.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.