Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about trying, a few questions

77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I saw this game a while ago but never really read up on it, but now I'm starting to hear that it's like EVE but on land instead of space. I've heard there aren't too many players as well, which isn't a huge concern to me. I was wondering a few things though:

1- Is the combat and weapons custimization similiar to Mechwarrior? (the PC games) I loved those games when they came out and I feel like this game is similiar

2- Is this game full loot FFA?

3- Roughly how many people actively play?

4- Do clans (or whatever they call them) actually fight a lot? Or is it more just mostly gathering?

5- How difficult is it to get high enough to be relevant in combat with people who have been playing longer?

I know theres a free trial but my gaming PC's hard drive just crashed so I'm not going to be able to try that for a few days? Also I saw a big content expansion is supposed to come Dec 1st, what is going to be added in that? Any answers would be appreciated

thanks

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

1 - This game is not like MechWarrior. At all. If you go into the game expecting anything from MechWarrior, you will be disappointed.

2 - I think the PvP is full loot, but it's possible that your cargo can get destroyed, so there's no guarantee that you'll get whatever the other guy was carrying.

3 - Dunno.

4 - Dunno.

5 - Dunno.

What I do know is that this game is not like MechWarrior. At all.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SraikSraik Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

I saw this game a while ago but never really read up on it, but now I'm starting to hear that it's like EVE but on land instead of space. I've heard there aren't too many players as well, which isn't a huge concern to me. I was wondering a few things though:

1- Is the combat and weapons custimization similiar to Mechwarrior? (the PC games) I loved those games when they came out and I feel like this game is similiar

2- Is this game full loot FFA?

3- Roughly how many people actively play?

4- Do clans (or whatever they call them) actually fight a lot? Or is it more just mostly gathering?

5- How difficult is it to get high enough to be relevant in combat with people who have been playing longer?

I know theres a free trial but my gaming PC's hard drive just crashed so I'm not going to be able to try that for a few days? Also I saw a big content expansion is supposed to come Dec 1st, what is going to be added in that? Any answers would be appreciated

thanks

1) never played Mechwarrior, but bots are very custimized with a variety of modules to fit a wide variety of roles in both combat and in industry.

2) Alpha Islands are non-PvP.  Beta Islands are total FFA.  Loot is what you don't shoot up on the bot you blew up; so I guess pirating would be viable.

3) Current online accounts are recorded here. The player count is down atm.  We saw a big bump with the whole EvE exodus, but only a small percentage stayed.  to get an idea on activity of players in the game, perp-kill shows combat activity.

4) Corp and alliance fighting is particularly lively atm.  PvP includes roaming into hostile=owned territory and also larger scale fights to secure outposts.  Worth keeping in mind that the system for outpost ownership is changing and fighting should become even more brisk, with more roles to fill.

5) Because of the direct control on movement of your bot in fighting and use of terrain, a smart fighter that takes the time to loose some bots can have a good time.  The corp the I am with has demonstrated an ability to do pretty well against folks in the game twice as long or longer.  Being outgunned and out-equiped is not an overwhelming thing.  Gettign blobbed is still (and always will be) a deciding thing.

As for the expansion, here is the dev blog for it.  May not make sense, but it is an important change.  Other aniversary stuff is sumarized here.  One of the things that is cool about the game is that the devs are pretty open about what they are working on and don't 'eff up o delivering what they say they will.  Sometimes the canges are small, but they have provided something like 40 upgrades to the game in teh last year.

My opinion is that, if the trial suits you, fork out the $10 for a full script and get hooked up with a corp to show you the ropes (TOG, NEX are both good choices).  Sandbox isn't for everyone, but I like this one pretty well.

• GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207

I would recommend anyone that is interested in the game to give the trial a try. Also I have started a new player corp in the game to help players new to the game. We accept trail accounts into the corp.

Once in game join the "PPAT Public" channel.

• DresbainDresbain Member UncommonPosts: 40

Gremrod is a very helpful player. His corp will definately benefit new players who want to learn the ropes. +1

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."