Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Better than Skyrim

As someone who's played both extensively, I gotta say SWTOR is the better game. Even during beta, there were a lot less game-breaking bugs compared to Skyrim at release. The classes are a lot more balanced. Combat is more fluid. Storylines are more diverse. If you think Skyrim's world is bigger, you have clearly not explored all the planets in SWTOR. {mod edit}  Also, there is PvP.

Skryim was pretty good, but it didn't hold my interest as much as this game has during the past few months.

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

why on earth are you comparing skyrim to this, next it will be SWTOR v FIFA 2012.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178

Single Player SandBox compared to a Multi Player ThemePark...... 

Football vs. pnp D&D?

steak v.s icecream?

I don't get it.....

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I like cake.

• Tyvolus1Tyvolus1 Member Posts: 815

Originally posted by Krytycal

As someone who's played both extensively, I gotta say SWTOR is the better game. Even during beta, there were a lot less game-breaking bugs compared to Skyrim at release. The classes are a lot more balanced. Combat is more fluid. Storylines are more diverse. If you think Skyrim's world is bigger, you have clearly not explored all the planets in SWTOR. {mod edit}. Also, there is PvP.

Skryim was pretty good, but it didn't hold my interest as much as this game has during the past few months.

the fact you are even comparing an "MMORPG" with a $15 fee, to what is a fantastic single player RPG speaks volumes in and of itself.  not only about SWTOR, but also about the sad state of the MMO genre of today.  more and more gamers are choosing between MMOs and single player RPGs, and in my case choosing the single player RPG.

enjoy paying $15/month for a dumbed down single player RPG with some co-op/multiplayer aspects.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

in other news cake is better than beef stroganoff 

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by Krytycal

As someone who's played both extensively, I gotta say SWTOR is the better game. Even during beta, there were a lot less game-breaking bugs compared to Skyrim at release. The classes are a lot more balanced. Combat is more fluid. Storylines are more diverse. If you think Skyrim's world is bigger, you have clearly not explored all the planets in SWTOR. Companions don't actually have Down's in SWTOR. Also, there is PvP.

First off, SWTOR is an MMORPG, Skyrim is a single player RPG. There isn't PvP at all in Skyrim, because you're the only player in that game. Skyrim doesn't have any classes, at all. SWTOR is bigger, but that's because it's an MMORPG. Bugs at Skyrim release? There were very little bugs, all minor and NOT game breaking. Biggest one that I can think of that people have had is the crashing to desktop every so often, but there are fixes for that. Dunno if you know this or not, but SWTOR is still in beta, and will be until the 20th.  

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

@ OP...Plzzzzzz get a life....Better then Skyrim??? OMG.....can't resist..just can't....HERE I GO!!!

LOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Apples and oranges really.  

SW:TOR doesn't touch Skyrim though as far as world immersion is concerned.  In fact, it really doesn't even compare to WoW or LotRO.

SW:TOR's strength is how it draws you into your characters' story through voice acting  and story-based progression, not necessarily traveling through a realistic game world.  SW:TOR's zones may be large, but they're all very repetitive.  Taris, for example, has about 3 or 4 maps; however, the entire zone is just ruined skyscrapers with swamps and Rakghouls underneath.  It's very difficult to tell any one point in that zone apart from another.

On the flip side, Skyrim isn't really about story at all.  Honestly, all its stories are pretty bad, especially the main story.  You're basically just running a series of missions for reasons you don't fullly understand, and you don't even know who the villain of the story is until about halfway through the game.  At the end, you meet up with a bunch of people whom you may have had no prior interaction with (unless you did side missions), and then you go kill the big bad guy.  Afterwards, you're ported back into the game world with little to no pomp or circumstance then the first guard you come across asks you if someone stole your sweet roll.

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

Uhmm, in response to cake, I like liver. Liver is better for you and tastes way better, except for Black Forest. Plus, liver is better on raids cuz when you toss it at people, they say,"ughh." while as cake is taken with a bit of humor unless you are a French aristocrat, then telling them to eat cake is an insult.

Let's now compare SWTOR to Kinect's Once Upon A Monster. While Elmo takes us on a on-the-rails journey through his imagination land, I felt the companion system was much better than SWTOR. At least with Elmo, I ge to ride on the back of a monster and jump and do tricks.

Do you get to ride a wookie in SWTOR?

No.

Then, Once Upon A Monster is the GOTY for me, unless you prefer to watch paint dry.

Let's stop comparing SWTOR with everything under the sun. Most people think the game sux, and most people think its great.

My prediction, it will bleed players faster than a hemophiliac in a knife fight.

• Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323

Yup.

Originally posted by gaugemew

in other news cake is better than beef stroganoff 

And pizza is better than cake, because the cake is a lie. 

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

OK, if this is what were doing I would like to compare TOR with Super Mario Cart, lol .

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Since we are making useless comparisons... better than Dead Island.

Originally posted by negacrowbar

Do you get to ride a wookie in SWTOR?

In SWTOR, Wookie rides you. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by 4getting2009

Football vs. pnp D&D?

steak v.s icecream?

I don't get it.....

Common Skyrim wasnt a sandbox.... it just offered different linear paths... But in the end everyone has done most questlines only they did them in a different order.

Both games have more in common then you admit, as they are both build around a story component.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I just tried tossing a small dull brick in the air several times and I found SWTOR to be more entertaining. 

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

Ok, I give up. I am going to sell all my games, consoles, and computer and just buy a sandbox.

But then some a-hole will come up to me playing in my sandbox and say, "Did you know that this sandbox was not the first sandbox. You should have went to the desert, there's a real sandbox. This one is too linear."

Can't wait for the SWTOR mod for Skyrim.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Both games are RPGs, so from the perspective of someone who primarily solos, it's valid to compare them in terms of which offers the better RPG experience.  The fact that one requires a subscription and the other doesn't is not something that changes that.  If it were, we could stop comparing TOR and Guild Wars 2.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• KholeKhole Member CommonPosts: 136

I disagree, Pizza's better.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by 4getting2009

Football vs. pnp D&D?

steak v.s icecream?

I don't get it.....

Common Skyrim wasnt a sandbox.... it just offered different linear paths... But in the end everyone has done most questlines only they did them in a different order.

Both games have more in common then you admit, as they are both build around a story component.

The only way I can respond to Lord Bachus's is with - are you serious?   Skyrim and SW:ToR have "more" in common then some people might admit and Skyrim was "not" a sandbox?  Wow...just wow.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

I had the same tought actually. But not comparing the games all together, but rather the RPG aspect and the immersion it brings. After all, they are both story driven RPG's. As awesome as Skyrim is, i would actually agree on that SWTOR made me more emotionally involved. Which, in my book, is a good thing. It means Bioware managed to create a great game. For me anyway. I absolutely love Skyrim, so the fact that SWTOR can top the experience, while being an MMO, is just awesomesauce all over the place.

And, the topic title isn't that crazy. Break it down to a simple "which game would i play right now if i could choose" and your decision is probably "the better game".

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by CazNeerg

Both games are RPGs, so from the perspective of someone who primarily solos, it's valid to compare them in terms of which offers the better RPG experience.  The fact that one requires a subscription and the other doesn't is not something that changes that.  If it were, we could stop comparing TOR and Guild Wars 2.

TOR and GW 2 are comparable considering they are both MMO's, yet they cant be compared because neither have been released yet,  comparing a dedicated single player game to an MMO to put it kindly is just dumb regardless if there is an rpg connection. 

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

This discussion has been closed.