Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Companions - Will we use them all?

bobfishbobfish SouthamptonPosts: 1,688Member

I was going to ask this on the SWTOR forums, but its been in maintenance mode all day.

 

I know that each companion has a specialty, melee tank, ranged tank, melee DPS, ranged DPS and healer. So I was wondering if they had secondary specialties?

 

I plan to play a Jedi Shadow, with a tank build, so this means the complimenting companion for me would be a healer. So does that mean that once I get my healer will I never use the other companions because they can't heal me?

Given all the work that BioWare has put into the companions, I think it would be a shame if we only ever used one companion out of the five that they give us. Anyone who's played to 50 in Beta know if that is the case or not?

Comments

  • OcirusskdOcirusskd craig, INPosts: 212Member

    I started this weekend with a trooper and spent the first 8 levels trying to kill or break ranks with who would soon be my companion, "Arc Jordon" I was so mad that he was my companion that all i did was try and piss him off ,and had i leveled enough to get anotehr companion then i doublt i would ever use him for anything but crafting.

    Unlike BH and IA where i found myself so attached to them that it would be hard to use anyone else, although a healing companion for IA would easily outway my like in kayila's personality.

  • ThunderballsThunderballs WallsendPosts: 365Member

    you use them for crafting gathering etc

    Caveat Emptor

  • CazNeergCazNeerg Puyallup, WAPosts: 2,198Member

    You can use the escape key to leave conversations in progress, so if you really want a fine level of control, you can keep one companion with you for actual gameplay, then switch to whichever one you want when going into a conversation.  Only takes a second to switch.  As a Trooper wanting to maximize dark side points without taking huge affection hits, I tended to use Elara for gameplay, and use the droid in conversations, once I had him.

    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

  • smokefinsmokefin helsinkiPosts: 48Member

    Originally posted by bobfish

    I was going to ask this on the SWTOR forums, but its been in maintenance mode all day.

     

    I know that each companion has a specialty, melee tank, ranged tank, melee DPS, ranged DPS and healer. So I was wondering if they had secondary specialties?

     

    I plan to play a Jedi Shadow, with a tank build, so this means the complimenting companion for me would be a healer. So does that mean that once I get my healer will I never use the other companions because they can't heal me?

    Given all the work that BioWare has put into the companions, I think it would be a shame if we only ever used one companion out of the five that they give us. Anyone who's played to 50 in Beta know if that is the case or not?

    yes

    Cool cat

  • bobfishbobfish SouthamptonPosts: 1,688Member

    Originally posted by CazNeerg

    You can use the escape key to leave conversations in progress, so if you really want a fine level of control, you can keep one companion with you for actual gameplay, then switch to whichever one you want when going into a conversation.  Only takes a second to switch.  As a Trooper wanting to maximize dark side points without taking huge affection hits, I tended to use Elara for gameplay, and use the droid in conversations, once I had him.

    That isn't always an option though, even in the limited time I played at the weekend there were a few cutscenes that launched straight into fights afterwards, usually boss fights.

    Still, it is better than never using them at all. I just hope the healer for the Jedi Shadow has a good personality, male companions in BioWare games are usually quite lame, at most they get one good one per game :(

  • EnerzealEnerzeal WarringtonPosts: 326Member

    I hated my first companion on smuggler so bad I took drastic measures to piss him off completely. One of them included sleeping with a quest giver to piss him off.

    My friend playing trooper tried to implicate his thundercats looking companion during a tribunal which he wasn't happy about. They are companions you just love to hate!

     

    Of course even the worst companions can be sent into the field to work on crafting skills which I really love.

  • EduardoASGEduardoASG AzoresPosts: 832Member

    Originally posted by Ocirusskd

    I started this weekend with a trooper and spent the first 8 levels trying to kill or break ranks with who would soon be my companion, "Arc Jordon" I was so mad that he was my companion that all i did was try and piss him off ,and had i leveled enough to get anotehr companion then i doublt i would ever use him for anything but crafting.

    Unlike BH and IA where i found myself so attached to them that it would be hard to use anyone else, although a healing companion for IA would easily outway my like in kayila's personality.

    agree man.. that Arc Jordan is probably the worst choice ever for a trooper companion.. its a bad decision having to put up with him all those levels until you get the sexy healer at 20 or so.

    Companions should be customizable.. not this crap.

    ~ D R A G 0 N . S L A Y E R S ~ Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR

  • GormokGormok memphis, TNPosts: 379Member

    That's one of the things I hate about the game, as a caster JC or SS I am locked into using Qyzen or Khem for the whole game because they are tanks. There should have been a better variety of companions and switchable companion roles, I also hate the fact that we get one female companion while the rest are males. Kinda lame in that regard imo.

  • Biggus99Biggus99 Mesa, AZPosts: 916Member

    Originally posted by EduardoASG

    Originally posted by Ocirusskd

    I started this weekend with a trooper and spent the first 8 levels trying to kill or break ranks with who would soon be my companion, "Arc Jordon" I was so mad that he was my companion that all i did was try and piss him off ,and had i leveled enough to get anotehr companion then i doublt i would ever use him for anything but crafting.

    Unlike BH and IA where i found myself so attached to them that it would be hard to use anyone else, although a healing companion for IA would easily outway my like in kayila's personality.

    agree man.. that Arc Jordan is probably the worst choice ever for a trooper companion.. its a bad decision having to put up with him all those levels until you get the sexy healer at 20 or so.

    Companions should be customizable.. not this crap.

     

    Haha, I hated Aric too.  Guy was a jerkoff during the first 8 levels and then I get stuck with him as a companion.  Horrible.  Once I got the sexy healer, Aric became my mission errand boy that I stuck on the ship next to the ass-kissing droid.  

    I'm not 100% sure how it's going to work because I only got to level 25 on my Trooper, but I don't think we'll be able to gain a ton of affection from every single companion.   Seems like we'll have to choose one companion to have a real close relationship with, and then varying degrees of affection with the other companions.  I know the companions you get at later levels gain affection a bit quicker, but it seems as though there will only be room for one, maybe two companions to have a high amount of affection.  I'm not sure how endgame affects that, if at all.  Needless to say, I'm always going to pick the hot female companion for any class as my main companion, unless the situation calls for a specific type of role.  However, it's going to be kind of a pain in the ass to keep all my companions properly geared up for their level if I've got them sitting on the shelf.  I wish there was a way to compare the gear of all your companions, even the ones who aren't with you, when you are given a choice for a quest reward for that companion.  As it is now, I have to summon that companion to view his/her gear against what is being offered as a reward, which kind of sucks.  

  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 FlimwellPosts: 1,099Member Uncommon

    Did they remove the companion kits? I thought they was there so you can make any companion into any type (Tank, healer, damage). Or did they never add them?

  • bobfishbobfish SouthamptonPosts: 1,688Member

    Originally posted by Gormok

    That's one of the things I hate about the game, as a caster JC or SS I am locked into using Qyzen or Khem for the whole game because they are tanks. There should have been a better variety of companions and switchable companion roles, I also hate the fact that we get one female companion while the rest are males. Kinda lame in that regard imo.

    You get a second tank, all classes get five types of companion, Melee Tank, Ranged Tank, Melee DPS, Ranged DPS and Healer. So if you don't like one of your tanks, then you can use the other one. The big problem is if you don't like either, or for those of us playing tanks, if you don't like your only healer. :(

     


    Originally posted by Jimmy562

    Did they remove the companion kits? I thought they was there so you can make any companion into any type (Tank, healer, damage). Or did they never add them?

    I don't know, I've been trying to find out some real solid info on companion roles, but no one seems to know anything or at the very least they aren't being specific with their answers. Currently it sounds like each companion has a single role and that is that, no changing them.

     


  • Originally posted by bobfish

    I was going to ask this on the SWTOR forums, but its been in maintenance mode all day.

     

    I know that each companion has a specialty, melee tank, ranged tank, melee DPS, ranged DPS and healer. So I was wondering if they had secondary specialties?

     

    I plan to play a Jedi Shadow, with a tank build, so this means the complimenting companion for me would be a healer. So does that mean that once I get my healer will I never use the other companions because they can't heal me?

    Given all the work that BioWare has put into the companions, I think it would be a shame if we only ever used one companion out of the five that they give us. Anyone who's played to 50 in Beta know if that is the case or not?

    i know that kaylio dejanis, the agents first companion, has a tank stance and dps stance.  shes the only one i have used since dont get second companion till around 32(for agent) and just short of getting him before they took servers down.


  • Originally posted by Jimmy562

    Did they remove the companion kits? I thought they was there so you can make any companion into any type (Tank, healer, damage). Or did they never add them?

    they were removed when they revamp the companions to have their own full skill bars

  • EliandalEliandal Chelmsford, ONPosts: 796Member

    Originally posted by Enerzeal

    I hated my first companion on smuggler so bad I took drastic measures to piss him off completely. One of them included sleeping with a quest giver to piss him off.

    My friend playing trooper tried to implicate his thundercats looking companion during a tribunal which he wasn't happy about. They are companions you just love to hate!

     

    Of course even the worst companions can be sent into the field to work on crafting skills which I really love.

     

      Yes, Corso can be quite annoying.  Fortunately he's a GOOD crafter - just leave him on your ship crafting upgrades - especially once you get Bowdaar :D!

  • IsturiIsturi Phoenix, AZPosts: 1,509Member

    Companions are a big help if you are skilled enough you can solo heroics I did with my plenty of times.

    image

Sign In or Register to comment.