Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next Gen MMO Wishlist

I see a lot of people not happy with SWTOR because they believe it brings nothing new to the table, and the same criticism has been given to pretty much ever game released in the last 3 years.  So what is it that you're hoping to see in the next couple of years from MMORPG's?

Comments

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by NMStudio

I see a lot of people not happy with SWTOR because they believe it brings nothing new to the table, and the same criticism has been given to pretty much ever game released in the last 3 years.  So what is it that you're hoping to see in the next couple of years from MMORPG's?

A real crafting system

No pay to win items in cash shops

Player buildings of all kinds

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    I always thought an MMO based on Narnia would be kind of cool. I'm sure im in the minority here but I think it could have real interesting lore and races in it. Also i enjoued the books as a child so go figure ^_^

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

I always thought an MMO based on Narnia would be kind of cool. I'm sure im in the minority here but I think it could have real interesting lore and races in it. Also i enjoued the books as a child so go figure ^_^

I think the problem for a Narnia MMO is that its story isn't really conducive to raids, pvp, crafting and so forth. But it would certainly be an interesting break due to limitations of magic and war crippling the standard classes.

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by Cuathon

A real crafting system

It sounds to me like you're already accepting that cash shops are going to be the wave of the future... that might be a smart thing to do.  Should gamers be focusing on encouraging developers to build acceptable cash shops instead of just demanding that they be removed completely? 

Personally, I think the market is, and will remain, large enough to support both subscription and cash shop models, but it will be interesting to see.

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

I think the problem for a Narnia MMO is that its story isn't really conducive to raids, pvp, crafting and so forth. But it would certainly be an interesting break due to limitations of magic and war crippling the standard classes.

Using an existing IP certainly has it's appeal, but with it comes a lot of restrictions as well. 

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    There could be PvP the creatures in Narnia always fight the Calormen people and theres a lot of different locations that could be used as raids. I know its not gonna happen I just think it would be cool. The thread is called WISHlist.

A real crafting system

It sounds to me like you're already accepting that cash shops are going to be the wave of the future... that might be a smart thing to do.  Should gamers be focusing on encouraging developers to build acceptable cash shops instead of just demanding that they be removed completely? 

Personally, I think the market is, and will remain, large enough to support both subscription and cash shop models, but it will be interesting to see.

I am realistic. Major developers will use cash shops. Money is might is right. Maybe indie games with lower production values can get away without it. And paying irl money to gold farmers and power levelers is here to stay also.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Mix in a bowl:

Skyrim free-roaming open world without instances, player input combat (Lineage Eternal) instead of hotbar input,  no raid instancing grindfest, add a class system like Rift,

sprinkle it with some DX11 graphics and voilà, it's ready.

• Mister_ReMister_Re Member Posts: 142

Naruto mmo

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

That's a seriously tough question.  I'd like an MMO that doesn't feel like an MMO.

I'd like to see something that breaks the rules.  Toss the classes and levels, toss the kill XP, toss the mindless questing, skip the instances, make the world HUGE... even as far as multiple planets with different styles of worlds to play in.

I guess the bottom line, I want a holodeck :-)  I guess I might be waiting a while for it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Make it REAL.

I want REAL solutions to REAL problems, not quick fixes and simplification.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4522590#4522590

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

I want about the same as I've wanted for a long time:  something interesting that I hadn't played before--and isn't a knock-off of something else that I have played.  Thankfully, there are recent games on the market that can deliver just that, most recently Uncharted Waters Online and Spiral Knights.  Guild Wars 2 will probably fit that category, too.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

wrong thread

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I'd like unpredictability and scalability.  Bosses that aren't always standing around waiting for you.  Select how tough you want to make him, adjust rewards accordngly.  That means fixed loot tables have to go too, of course.

Hmm, I suppose a "choose your play style" system would be nice too.  Implementation would probably have to take place via different realms with different rulesets.  "Choose Sandbox/Themepark/Mix.  Choose PVE/PVP/RP.  Choose Vicious/Easy/Normal.".  Aren't happy with the result (or just need a change of pace)?  Change servers.

Never going to happen, as one company would have to carry several dev teams for different kinds of projects.  But hey, it's a wish list, Genie's gonna make it happen with his magic powers.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

I always thought there would be more cowbell, but maybe I am just tired.

On a more serious note. I would like to see worlds become much more expansive, but I realize the logistical issues in that expanse.

If we are listing impossibilities than I would to have a player base that is not full of assholes and griefers.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

If we are listing impossibilities than I would to have a player base that is not full of assholes and griefers.

So a single-player game then?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

So a single-player game then?

As a poster said earlier in the thread, its a wishlist, for unrealistic dreams and fondest hopes.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

1. more involving gameplay than shit like WoW. 

2. serviceable graphics

3. good atmosphere and a world that feels lively and alive. weather system, NPC's that talk and move and live their lives.

4. game design that encourages playing together. no more lame ass quest step system where it's a pain to group if someone else isn't on the same step of a quest.

5. do away with shitty old mechanics that only lead to conflict and griefing(node stealing, mob/exp/loot stealing. ramndom rolls for one to three loot drops that 5, 10 or 25 people have to compete for).

6. better game design than just grind raids till a patch negates all your gear's usefulness.

7. balanced pvp

8. something to do in towns besides run in circles and sit on top of the bank.

9. custom soundtracks

• 1) The ability to talk through our characters via an in-line voice synthesizer (eg. a 220lb Iron Worker could sound like a 90lb Dark Elf Muse.)

2) Virtual Reality.

3) Realistic game AI.

4) The ability to publicly crucify in-game gold spammers, scammers, kill-stealers, jackasses, etc..

5) An excellent sense of humor...kinda tired of all the gut-wrenching hack-in-blast BS.

A good NexGen MMOG would cost $700 million to produce, take 7 years to create with a team of 1,500 professionals.

Originally posted by Icewhite

I'd like unpredictability and scalability.  Bosses that aren't always standing around waiting for you.  Select how tough you want to make him, adjust rewards accordngly.  That means fixed loot tables have to go too, of course.

Hmm, I suppose a "choose your play style" system would be nice too.  Implementation would probably have to take place via different realms with different rulesets.  "Choose Sandbox/Themepark/Mix.  Choose PVE/PVP/RP.  Choose Vicious/Easy/Normal.".  Aren't happy with the result (or just need a change of pace)?  Change servers.

Never going to happen, as one company would have to carry several dev teams for different kinds of projects.  But hey, it's a wish list, Genie's gonna make it happen with his magic powers.

I love the unpredictability.   I'm not so sure about selecting how tough to make a boss... wouldn't that ruin immersion for a lot of people?

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I want REAL solutions to REAL problems, not quick fixes and simplification.

Yeah, basically that.

I dont want the newest fashion settings, races, skillbased whatever crap rulesystem.

Just decide what you want to do and make it good.

SW:TOR isnt so bad at that, by the way. Its a storyheavy MMO. Could be worse.

• jurupajurupa Member Posts: 16

- Hybrid RPG/FPS 

- True dynamic world 

- Total user toon customization

- More involved complex craffting system that is equal to or above of that what mobs drops

- More involved story line where you must make choices and those choices effects everything from whom you can interact with to end game

- A pvp system that is more stragetic both via map and in class

- An achivement system more along the lines of WAR where you get actual medals you can put on your toon and peple can see in game

- Less hand holding don't mine some but not to the leves itis at in some games

- Less feel of a grind when it comes to questing

- More side stuff/mini games

- Functional player housing

Think that is really.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by fony

1. more involving gameplay than shit like WoW. 

2. serviceable graphics

3. good atmosphere and a world that feels lively and alive. weather system, NPC's that talk and move and live their lives.

4. game design that encourages playing together. no more lame ass quest step system where it's a pain to group if someone else isn't on the same step of a quest.

5. do away with shitty old mechanics that only lead to conflict and griefing(node stealing, mob/exp/loot stealing. ramndom rolls for one tot hree loot drops that 5, 10 or 25 people have to compete for).

6. better game design than just grind raids till a patch negates all your gear's usefulness.

7. balanced pvp

8. something to do in towns besides run in circles and sit on top of the bank.

9. custom soundtracks

I admire your subtlety.  I wonder how many other people will get it.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• Mister_ReMister_Re Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by jurupa

- Hybrid RPG/FPS 

- True dynamic world 

- Total user toon customization

- More involved complex craffting system that is equal to or above of that what mobs drops

- More involved story line where you must make choices and those choices effects everything from whom you can interact with to end game

- A pvp system that is more stragetic both via map and in class

- An achivement system more along the lines of WAR where you get actual medals you can put on your toon and peple can see in game

- Less hand holding don't mine some but not to the leves itis at in some games

- Less feel of a grind when it comes to questing

- More side stuff/mini games

- Functional player housing

Think that is really.