Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My opinion of SW TOR

Well folks the weekend has come to an end and with that all the new posts of this and that.  I will be up front this is my personal opinion of my experiance in SW and this should be treated as such.  BW has been exeptional at making RPG games that I enjoy to play and SW is no exeption, they have brought the RPG back to MMO in a style and format traditional to BW products.  Now for some time I've been torn between two worlds rpg games on the console/PC and mmo games on the PC.  Console/PC rpg's (the majority of the ones I've played) are great but the worlds/world is always small and unopened (there are exeptions of corce but I have not played them).  The stories are always well done and grab me in but you are traped within the confinds of a solo base rpg game.  I belive BW has blown the lid off of the RPG community with their new game and added the aspect of an amazing story+mmo+massive maps and worlds.  My experiance with this game was nothing but fantastic.  I managed to make it to lvl 25 on my Jedi shadow, followed the story, and did as much as i could bear to spoil for myself.  Now mind you this game isn't for everyone and in my opinion it plays more like a traditional BW RPG game then an mmo and that is a turn off for alot of people, but if you loved mass effect series and the dragon age series, for example, this game will not disapoint you.  It offers the best of an mmo and the best of your fav RPG game rolled up into one. I truly belive that BW has finally added the RPG back into MMO.

Comments

• MassamoMassamo Member UncommonPosts: 6

i made it to lvl 29 on my trooper find game at last that will replaces my swg been looking for long time bioware has done it

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

I been in a MMO bummer for over a year.  Played WoW, City of Heros, and lastly gave Rift a try.  While Rift had my attention for a week or two, I just got so incredibly sick of closing rifts.  But I can't blame the Devs, the game does revolve around that.   So I my play time on it went really down.   While playing my 50th level Rogue doing the dailies of that day to grind for cash, I decided to browse the web and when on youtube to see videos out of boredom.   Something popped up about SWTOR.  Mind you, I am not the biggest Star Wars fan, but I did enjoy the early movies.   I didn't even try SWG when it was around.   But something about watching that video peeked my interest.

So I logged off and did a bunch of research on it.  Watch as much videos about it, especially the gameplay and I was really getting interested in playing it.  Then when I had the chance to beta test the game, and actually played it.   I was hooked to it like no other MMO I have ever played.  And I have played TONs of MMOs, and this one is up there with my favorite experiences ever.  

Only reget I have, is that it kind of ruined some surprise elements about the story line for the offical launch.  But after getting burned by pre-ordering FFXIV by just watching a CGI video and screenshots, I learned never to judge a game by its cover.  I have to play beta at least before I shell out cash for any MMO.  And I can only speak for myself.  Its well worth the cash and time in pre-ordering SWTOR.

• osiriszoranosiriszoran Member Posts: 86

first year SWG was better than this 150 million waste.

Originally posted by osiriszoran

Your first post ever on this forum had to be a troll, eh? 

• jethroejethroe Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by BarryManilow

I been in a MMO bummer for over a year.  Played WoW, City of Heros, and lastly gave Rift a try.  While Rift had my attention for a week or two, I just got so incredibly sick of closing rifts.

I feel you 100%. In my opinion if you like rpg's and mmo's you will enjoy this game.

Originally posted by jethroe

I been in a MMO bummer for over a year.  Played WoW, City of Heros, and lastly gave Rift a try.  While Rift had my attention for a week or two, I just got so incredibly sick of closing rifts.

I feel you 100%. In my opinion if you like rpg's and mmo's you will enjoy this game.

Yes I am old school RPGer and this game does give me faith that future MMOs will be better.  I am so sick of mindlessly grinding mobs for XP for the sole purpose to get max level to raid or PvP.   I am not knocking it for the people that speed click through quests to go kill their mobs or FedEx.   I need to immerse myself into that world to make that climb to the top as fun as possible.  And SWTOR does that, more then any other game I have ever played.

FYI, I perfer the Empire side over the good side.  I always perfer to play the characters with shady past over good doers.  But being a Jedi is soo tempting hehe.

• osiriszoranosiriszoran Member Posts: 86

Not really considering MMOs like SWG had far more innovative features & it cost way less. Guess this is what MMOs have come to when following in WoWs shadow. 

If some MMO were to pick up what features made wow great and combined them with what made SWG great you would have an epic MMO.

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

First year SWG was a joke..

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

SPOILER

I enjoyed Sith the most too. That probably because this is the first game where you can actually be EVIL, and i mean EVIL. You get to choose to kill people in front of their kids, agree to credits while knowing perfectly that hundreds of people will be eradicated ... This amused me because it’s the first time i played a game where I actually felt it was a evil person. It actually made me think, sometimes, that I had moral issue with my choices in the game, that’s strong.

I also like the idea that a quest offers you to go kill someone, for a bounty, then when you get to the person, you get the choice to turn on your employer and kill him instead, thus doing picking the good choice.

On my bounty hunter, at the end of the first zone, I got a choice to kill a woman, she was literally pleading for her life, I went evil again, chose to kill her, carry her corps to next zone, to turn her in for bounty .. I felt kind of bad after that choice.

• PalatinePalatine Member Posts: 65

Statement 100% true though :)

• jethroejethroe Member Posts: 12

one thing i forgot to add in my original post that really made me happy was how you could copy stats to your fav looking piece of gear.  Instead of just copying one set of armors look onto a different set you could actually for instance take gear you pick up remove the stats from that gear and put it into your fav looking piece of gear or mix and match any thing to your desired stat on your fav piece of gear somthing I feel is quite awsome in the lands of (for lack of a better word) Transmorgrifying :)