Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Five Not So Great Things About SWTOR

Comments

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

I agree with all those except 4.  If a quest is beneath you, don't do it. This game allows for skipping whole worlds, except for class quests.  Just because some NPC wants you to feed his nerf herd doesn't mean you must do that, plenty of things to do.

• SeptdeezSeptdeez Member UncommonPosts: 21

I think for customization they could have done better with body types. They should have made it a slider or two that change height and weight. Also pvp seemed unbalanced. I was 12 playing huttball against players lvl 20+ they should have divided it up by levels of 10 to reign in some of the one sidedness of the pvp. 

• bestman22bestman22 Member UncommonPosts: 93

The number 1 issue for me was huttball...  I hate the random queue for warzones because I cant stand huttball... I like the factional pvp, I dont feel like doing a game that has no bearing on the war, and at that killing  my own side.  Either give seperate queues for warzones or get rid of huttball, as it is now I just exit as soon as that one pops up because I cant stand feeling like its just a zerg moving back and forth with no real strategy just a huge melee and I dont like fighting my own side.

2 space is too weak

3 play multiple chars  and you end up hitting space bar far too much to get past all the talking in the side quests

4 respawns on clickable quest items take too long to respawn (which will go away once game gets older and not as many ppl with new chars)

5 lfg is practically useless and no real way to find a group... I figure the trade channel will end up the lfg channel before too long as people get spread out for flashpoints... either that or it will be like eq during ldon where a person ports to every zone doing lfg then heading to next zone to repeat it.

6 you can escape out of conversations if a choice is made and you dont like how it awards you dark or lightside points or companions like or dislike the choice then start it over as if you didnt talk at all yet.

All my quams aside its still a great game and I will get it and it has a lot of room to improve as patches release... some bugs were annoying but overall if they launched today it would be a quite stable enjoyable game that I would not fail to recommend.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

1-UI and lack of control options (keymap?) is terrible. Hope this was only a beta problem

2-Body Types are not good, sliders for musculature at least needed to be in there even if height not a slider. you go from sickly runt to joe extremely average, to comic book hero exaggerato, to Kevin Smith.

3-Target of Target is AWOL, secondary targeting seems to have no use.

4-ambient noise provided by other peoples companions who always sound like they are in your personal space

5-Bubble Chat needed! default it off if you want guys, but put it in the game.

otherwise was great fun. played til my head hurt.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• bbates024bbates024 Member UncommonPosts: 99

Yep the UI is hidious becaus you cant move any of the windows. I have no idea why you cant seems to be a staple of MMO's for some time and with the people fro WAR working with them it should be a cinch.

Have to disagree with the space cmbat I loved it. Take it for what it's worth I did about 9 missions this weekend and had a blast. It's cool it reminds me of Firefox.

Grouping and Flash Points are a ton of fun and get harder and add more mechanics as you go.

• titan511titan511 Member Posts: 2
    The thing that this MMORPG is missing is Mac compatibility. The Mac version is by far the most stable version of WoW. But I also know that WoW didn't support the Mac until version 1.9 I think it was.
  • DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Deewe, I know it is by choice, but it is the single most annoying thing I have ever seen as a deliberate design decision ... ever. All Bioware games do this, and it seems to be getting worse. I couldn't play either Dragon Age for more than an hour because I raged all over the conversations. I never even tried anything after Mass Effect the first. I am just so full of hate about this. I rage and rage and rage until I can't rage any more.

And what's more, I do not understand how this could not cause at least 90% of players to rage and rage and rage until Bioware is so totally covered in the rage excretions of disappointed players. (Please, let your imaginations go wild with that one.)

I just ... don't get it. Even if I don't like, say, FFA PvP, I can understand how some people might like it, and want it in their game. I can understand the unrealistic desire of in-world player housing, and hundreds of other things that I don't personally like. But this is just, F-ed up. It's bollocks. How could anyone not hate this?

Edit:

Originally posted by Kappadonna
    Good game for a new comer to the MMORPG land or for someone looking to waste a good month or two. However, this game has no lasting appeal and is far to shallow in every form (combat, PvP, PvE, ship combat) to draw in any serious MMO vets or guilds. They'll be moving on as soon as something better comes along like GW2, TERA, or possibly the Secret World ... and for good reason.

That's pretty much how I feel. All in all, it was a decent game, and I was happy to help with the stress test, and report a few bugs I saw along the way (including a hilarious one in which NPCs appeared to be about as big Jiminy Cricket. I laughed and laughed.). Because we all want all games to be better. And this is a fine game. I certainly like the idea behind no auto attack, but I don't see how it added anything in this game, really, though it was certainly better than having an auto attack.

But it was fun, and adhered to what I know about Star Wars pretty well. But the whole game felt bland. Generic stories, easy combat, flat characters and basic player-character stuff. The only thing I saw that was really interesting was the cover idea, and I didn't like playing that way. But at least it was intriguing. Everything else, been there, done that, gotten bored by it by now.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• AngelfireAngelfire Member Posts: 145

Originally posted by ignore_me

4-ambient noise provided by other peoples companions who always sound like they are in your personal space

This was a known bug that only showed up this testing weekend (wasn't in the previous), and it was listed on thier things to be fixed. Had you read the forum like you were supposed to as a tester you would of known that. :p

I have to disagree with the space combat also, but only on a personal opinion level. I thought it was cheesy at first too till I got into it some and now am kinda in love with it. It takes away the focus on flying and lets you concentrate on the objectives and destroying targets. Is it a bit mini-game esk .. yes.. but I don't think thats so bad after my experiences with JTL and space being mostly empty all the time anyways. Its fast paced, takes a degree of skill and the rewards are good..  what more can you ask for from a mission?

I'd also disagree with something I've seen a few people say.. empty world? I've seen flora, fauna and everything in between. Walked past NPCs in market squares and overheard them having detailed conversations. Stood on tatoonine and watched a Imperial Trooper arresting a Jawa.

I read alot of the things people say both on here and just friends of friends 'reviewing" the game and I get the definate feeling they never made it off the first planet... which is a giant newbie zone. Once you get out in the world and get to places like Hoth, Tattooine, and Balmorra (the later of which is huge and full of quest) you will see alot more to the game. Also its unfair to judge the combat of the game until at least level 20 once you've had your advanced class some and had time to accumulate skills and tree points. On top of that the companion system adds a whole other dynamic as you can tweak your companions and pick and choose different ones in ways to augment your personal play style and add alot more to your fun.

The UI I can understand alot of people bothering. It does have some customization but its extremely limited and even I was disapointed I couldnt move the chat window. I suspect thats something that will be quickly reworked.

I'm not gonna say SWTOR is the best MMO ever.. that hasn't been made yet. But all the people who try to imply its an MMO lite without any content, I dont actually believe gave it a fair try.

PS: Oh and for the people complaining about having to watch the same cutscenes on multiple characters.. there is an option to skip cutscenes in the games options. I'm sure by my fourth alt or so I'll be using it myself outside of the main story.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Originally posted by nomss

You are right with the UI. I was tempted to grab the window and move it and I couldn't. This was annyoing.

My UI in customisable games will look almost similar to the one in SWTOR with extra quickbars enabled. However, I agree that some windows should be movable while the whole UI should be resizable.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• AttameyAttamey Member Posts: 1

My personal dis/like list would be:

Dislike

1. Enviroment: Its a Game in Space and there is Room for alot...  i visitet every Planet and there are no Details, empty Halls and Ways to walk: Enter the Planet -> so ure on the Oritstation -> go to the Shuttle etc. Places like Corusant should be crowded and Tatoin isnt a Refugeplanet at all, is quiet like ur Playground for the Kids.

I felt like i was on vacantion in Giantsland and the Outherspace was so small, i even like the Spacemission becoz there was the feeling of Starwars(unfortunaly). I was so happy to get my own Ship just to find out that i wont fly on my own and the Spacedetails.... well at least i got a Window.

2. Dialoge: Its realy annoying to now that u can have a Conversation that will grant u better Rewards on behave what u say and like Dubhlaith already said its not even possible to know the Meaning of a Context of a Frase, if ur Charakter dont uses ure Selection.

3. UI and Gameplay: I played a Jedi-Knight and it makes me sad to see that Combatsystem is copyed from another Game and on Top of that, is the UI very unhandy for expirienst mmorpg/rpg Player.

Missions are not even that important to me what eels to do then kill, gather or just go there do that. The Difficulty untill lv 20 is very easy, after i was a little lost in between the Planets, on to low other to high in Lv, i headet to Tatoin with lv 24 and it got hard as Hell. I have to admit i had my Probs with several Quests, i couldent even kill a 3Mann Group. So as a good Gamer i was lil pisst.

And why the Heck do i have a Speeder, if every stupid Sandmann can dismount my with a single Bullet? BERSERKING everytime....

1.Well Enviroment again: Iam a big John William Fan, Sound, Musik and Efekts are awesome, even the Travelingrouts are a Looker. I think the Goal of a Game like this would be to enjoy and relax in a Fantasyrealm and i think its easy to fall for it.

2. Companions: Kira Carsen for thos how know her, shes ur Padawan and is stronger then ur Self, even my little T7-01 was better. Its funny to time in the Chargeattaks so u jump both at the same Time. Also the Conversations or Costumizing with Gear is a nice addition. At my Profesions i had to use them to "Investigate" and to Craft.

3. Lightsaber.............. well i wont play a Jedi anymore but

GOT TO HAVE A LIGHTSABER :D

Peace

• PunkrePunkre Member Posts: 92

I agree 100% about the race issue, but for different reasons:

My problem was with the size options, when it comes to fantasy (including scifi) you need to have races be very differnt, and size is a good way to make the races dramatacially different,. I feel that one of the biggest flaws that they had in Swtor was not making the SIth Pureblood a large race, their ancestors were large, and it feels awkward to have humans and other races be able to have equal sizes to them.

The side of the coin is the lack of a tiny race, while I don't usually play the tiny races in MMOs, (except for Allods) it helps to add a degree of variety to a MMO to have such a race, it states that the possibilities of the many races are great and that even this tiny race cane be a hero.

And don't even get me started on the "Cyborg race," wtf bioware, nice way to add in a race without doing any work.

Space combat is somthing I think most people would have been fine with if they did not add it in the game at all, and just said "we will add it in when we feel we can do it properly." But instead they added in a mini game that doesn't really fit the game and not only cannot be played with others but doesn't have a variety of Roles based on you class. But for right now its probably best to just think of it as a mini game of no real consequence to the rest of the game.

The side missions and the world arcs feel a little less than genuine in swtor. I find it annoying that my Imerpial agent has options to ask for money in every quest. Your the secret police, only if you wanted bribes would you ask for money as the empire should be funding your causes.

That being said I will still end up buying the game as I love the storylines, the combat is good enough, and over all it is the next step in MMO's, (abundance of upgrades in many aspects.) I wouldnt suggest this game for die hard pvpers though, but for those that either are hard core MMO fans that always wanted more of a character storyline that you can make choices in, or those that are new to MMO's but are normally Single player RPG fans.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

This whole article cracked me up.

Basically it was painfully obvious that Mr Bitten desperately wants this game to be better than it is, and as such is downplaying things that are frankly HUGE issues.

Seriously, this is how many of the points read to me:

"Well, this new girlfriend i have doesn't mind giving me head... but, she really has a bad habit of biting or nipping with her teeth and it hurts like a sonofoabitch....but...but...at least im still getting a blowjob!"

The fact of the matter is too many people are going to give bioware their undeserved money because they're star war fans and they dont have the mental or ethical fortitude to stand up for themselves and demand a better product.

I'm so sick of people thinking BioWare is such hot shit, they've been putting a new coat of lipstick on the same pig for 10 years now and everyone keeps lapping it up like its the friggin nectar of the gods.

I honestly feel like im the guy in the cult who snapped out of it and is seeing reality for what it is, whilst everyone else is still running around in a mindless haze of worship, drinking the koolaid at every available opportunity.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

This list was a bit silly to me, it is the type of list a die-hard MMO hardcore gamer would write. I believe Starwars is deliberately designed to be attractive to not just MMO gamers, but non-MMO gamers. Too many games have been released that try to steal players from other games, the reality is that thi is apoor way to do business.

If you want to design a good game that will draw customers, you supply something no one else does. They have succeeded in this and will most likely draw much of their player base from current non-gamers with the simple choices, slow learning curve, casual gameplay (such as spaceships) and easy UI.

It may be easy as a hardcore MMO player to bad mouth it, but the reality is that this game is not made for hard-core MMO gamers, it is made as a good game.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

5 things that i disliked THE MOST about SWTOR =

Walking animation

Jumping Animation

Lack of Ambience in the world

Lack of Music in the world and in PvP

Its not out yet -_- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of the above can and will be fixed before or soon after launch i think so no big let downs so far.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

swtor is extremely dumbed down in almost every way. Its game for 10y old at most. Initial success of the game will be good, but those "features" and zero replayability will make 50-75 percent of people leave the first month. 

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

Not sure if it will be implanted in the future but i really missed the text bubbles. I just hate having to read something that said too me by a person next to me to see it in the chatbar. Especially when there is a discusion going on its hard to keep track of whats said by people around you.

I didn't play the beta enough to really have huge likes or dislikes. I liked what i saw but i only played for 2 or 3 hours in total the entire weekend cause i didn't want to ruin the stories to much for the chars. Only checked some classes i was doubting if i was gonna play them. Im gonna play a sith inq. so i left that one untouched. Got a bit of a impresion how combat feels like and its typical bioware, whitch is good in my eyes cause you don't feel like slaying trough thin air as in other MMO's.

Im just worried that you can't sit on chairs, no chat bubbles, and other things RPers would like to have. But i haven't tested it either so maybe you can sit on chairs and maybe chat bubbles will become aviable. O well will see.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by Jorendo

Im just worried that you can't sit on chairs, no chat bubbles, and other things RPers would like to have. But i haven't tested it either so maybe you can sit on chairs and maybe chat bubbles will become aviable. O well will see.

Lol sitting in chairs is included, there are even bug reports of unsittable chairs to be fixed :P

Character creation is probably the major element most RPers would like to see improved, and then touching up the livelihoods of the worlds. Appearance tab as well...

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by Timacek

swtor is extremely dumbed down in almost every way. Its game for 10y old at most. Initial success of the game will be good, but those "features" and zero replayability will make 50-75 percent of people leave the first month. 

Just wondering what your experience is with the game to come to this conclusion, in particular zero replayability?

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

Originally posted by eluldor

Originally posted by Jorendo

Lol sitting in chairs is included, there are even bug reports of unsittable chairs to be fixed :P

Character creation is probably the major element most RPers would like to see improved, and then touching up the livelihoods of the worlds. Appearance tab as well...

Ah okay, well as i said i didn't tried it in the beta. Thought of it later DOH. But good to see they included it. Yeah its a shame we can't customise our chars more in appearance. Also a shame that many races aren't playable that where playable in SWG.  Maybe they will come later. Would be nice cause SWG provided you much more diversity that way.

But alteast you can be a really fat guy/girl this time. Not that i would play them but hey in WoW for example you are all muscular guys and big boobed babes.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

This is why i hate theme park mmo's, and to be even worse its a kiddie theme park. My beta experience tells me this game is too easy and made for children, not those like me that require some brain work. SWG upgrade would have been better. But ill play it until archeage comes out. SWTOR did have some good qualities, and im pleased. Just not some features and designs are living up to their "greatest mmo ever" hype.

I want a mmo for adults that is tough, requires strategy and brainpower, has great space combat, meaningful actions, and makes players rely on others. This will never happen with the genre of mmo's :(

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

By far the most annoying thing (and this is extremely annoying in all Bioware games), is that when I am in a conversation, the options for my responses do not correlate to what my character actually says, and therefore, sometimes, to the reaction of NPCs. This is not a problem in a single player game, but in this game I cannot change choices. When I want to say something, and I actually say something entirely different because the listed options are not even similar in either explicit or implicit meaning, I become extremely frustrated and annoyed. It is nearly game breaking when I get angry over a conversation option because I cannot change it. What the options are should correlate to what your character will actually say when you choose it. There is no excuse for it to not match.

But it's suppsoed to be like that!

They hyped it up in Mass Effect series it is the radial menu system and is supposed to be fast and fluid like you are playing a movie or something.

I've been wondering what it was what made me stop playing Mas Effect 2 and your post made me realize this could be it. Having no real choice over what my character says equates to having no real choice in the story. More of like watching a movie instead of playing it.

• Thoth-AmonThoth-Amon Member Posts: 91

at least here you can be objective and post criticsms of SWTOR. on teh MMO Champ forums peopel are infratced and banned almost straight away. they must be getting a lot of advertising revenue..

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by thekid1

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

By far the most annoying thing (and this is extremely annoying in all Bioware games), is that when I am in a conversation, the options for my responses do not correlate to what my character actually says, and therefore, sometimes, to the reaction of NPCs. This is not a problem in a single player game, but in this game I cannot change choices. When I want to say something, and I actually say something entirely different because the listed options are not even similar in either explicit or implicit meaning, I become extremely frustrated and annoyed. It is nearly game breaking when I get angry over a conversation option because I cannot change it. What the options are should correlate to what your character will actually say when you choose it. There is no excuse for it to not match.

But it's suppsoed to be like that!

They hyped it up in Mass Effect series it is the radial menu system and is supposed to be fast and fluid like you are playing a movie or something.

I've been wondering what it was what made me stop playing Mas Effect 2 and your post made me realize this could be it. Having no real choice over what my character says equates to having no real choice in the story. More of like watching a movie instead of playing it.

+ 1

I really don't like this as well. Really. I understand though this is MEANT to be like that.  But it is not only that you select something and something else is said, but that dialogues are very limited cause of that. Always 3 options (good, neutral, bad) feels kinda "meh".  This what bugged me in ME2 / DA2 as well and one of main reasons I am NOT buying ME3 / DA3.

I do NOT want game to play like interactive movie. I find it better to watch a real movie instead :/

Game has to be a game with real choices and to have cinematic restrictive dialogues like that is wasting potential of how fun, complex and in-depth dialogues could be.

I mean in DA2 / ME2 and now Swtor it is more like I am a director that is sitting in front of a computer directing flow of movie and I do NOT want to be director. I want to be IN a story as an real character. Not watch some character going through story.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by fenistil

+ 1

I really don't like this as well. Really. I understand though this is MEANT to be like that.  But it is not only that you select something and something else is said, but that dialogues are very limited cause of that. Always 3 options (good, neutral, bad) feels kinda "meh".  This what bugged me in ME2 / DA2 as well and one of main reasons I am NOT buying ME3 / DA3.

I do NOT want game to play like interactive movie. I find it better to watch a real movie instead :/

Game has to be a game with real choices and to have cinematic restrictive dialogues like that is wasting potential of how fun, complex and in-depth dialogues could be.

After playing Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas I have zero interest in Mass Effect 3 and not that much in Star Wars The Old Republic as well.

In those games if you talk to an NPC about a side quest typical chat options are:

- Sure I would like to help you.

-I'll help you for 5000 credits

-Sod off you imbecile!

On top of that you can cancel the converstaion and blow the NPC's head off.

And that decision has consequences to, in the short term (his friends go after you) and the long term. (his friends go after you, NPC's treating you different, other dialog referring to what you did, etc.)

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

My list is two fold:

1.  World PvP is virtually none

2.  I won't pat £40 for a game that charges me a monthly fee, not when I can buy great mmo's like Rift for £5