Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizard101: Cross Generational Magic

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Wizard101 from KingsIsle has been on the MMO market since 2008. In our latest re-review, we take a look at Wizard101 as it stands today after KingsIsle's most assertive development year ever. See if the magic is still there! Talk to us in the forums with your thoughts about the game.

Let me start right off the bat with this: Wizard101 is a family-friendly, kid-centered MMO. This re-review of W101 is going to focus on those two facts and the niche into which the game fits so perfectly. While there is no question that W101 has a lot to give to adult players, even hardcore MMO players, the fact remains that gameplay is designed to be attractive to and easy to learn for all ages from kindergarteners to octogenarians.

Read more of Suzie Ford's review, Wizard101: Cross Generational Magic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

One thing that drives many adults away from the game: There's no chat channels except for the one for parties (max. 4 players). Otherwise chatting is limited to sending pms to people you know, or to talking to people who see you. There is no LFG tool, and since there's no proper chat either, finding groups in-game is really hard.

Otherwise Wizard 101 is good game even for adults. You get to build your deck, then have 7 randomly chosen card drawn from that deck. Besides the damage and heal spells there's a horde of spells you can use to buff, debuff, shield, change element of spell, etc. while waiting for resources to cast that big damage spell to kill your opponent. This makes surprisingly strategic game where you have to discard the cards you don't want right now to get the card you want to use to your hand, make sure you don't discard so much that you'd run out of cards before the battle ends, and try to cast (together with your friends if you have good ones) 4 different enhancing spells to increase damage of one huge AoE spell. The randomness of cards you get in your hand and spells failing usually ensure that battles against same mob are different and keep you thinking your choises. It's much more strategic than adult games with WoW style combat even if it's a kids game.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Vrika,

That is SO true. It always amazes me how different two battles can be with the same monsters and the same heroes fighting. In one, you take them out in 4 rounds. In the second, it takes 10+ rounds and they nearly knock you out. It keeps it edgy! :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

3 years already? I remember seeing a TV spot and figured it'd be a good family game to at least try.

Needless to say I'm the 30 year old male in the family and out of 3 accounts I think I log in more hours. I really enjoy the combat and making my "deck". It might be based on the fact that I grew up watching 80s cartoons, playing MtG, and too many jRPGs.

I really can't recommend it enough if someone's looking for something different.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Vrika makes some great points. 

Wizard101 is really a good game.  Their housing and gardening systems are both very will done.  The pet system is also good.  It could use more entertaining games and maybe get your pets more involved in the actual game itself.

I really wish they would offer a lifetime or one time fee to purchase all current content.  They nickel and dime a bit too much.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I agree, Venger. I would buy a lifetime sub in a heartbeat and would love to see pets level up by being with their owner in battle rather than having to grind, grind, grind to raise them to adult.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I like this game. In my opinion you gave a bit too high ratings where they don´t belong to though.
    On the other hand I´d mention the open grouping under "innovation", because this makes the game worth playing even if you normally play solo: you can jump right into a battle between players and NPCs.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if you're looking for a different style of game play in a free/mium type of mmo, this is one of the two games i'd recommend.  (atlantica being the other)

it's very polished and well realized.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Yeah this game is a blast and I'm in my 30's.  Tons of stuff to do besides just quest with pets (which are very involved), gardening, crafting, etc. 

Personally I really don't like the fact that they sell high powered gear in the crown shop, but I deal with it.

• chirpechirpe Member UncommonPosts: 3

You can buy all the (current) zones for unlimited use for 92,535 crowns (or $120), with a remainder of 2,465 crowns for pvp fights, items or future zones, that's only $40 more than an anual membership; The best thing about that is you pay as you advanced instead of paying for the entire game while only being able to play a portion of it because of your current cards/level(?).

I admit you still won't get all the full member benefits, but still, I believe this is the best way to go.

Originally posted by chirpe

You can buy all the (current) zones for unlimited use for 92,535 crowns (or $120), with a remainder of 2,465 crowns for pvp fights, items or future zones, that's only $40 more than an anual membership; The best thing about that is you pay as you advanced instead of paying for the entire game while only being able to play a portion of it because of your current cards/level(?).

I admit you still won't get all the full member benefits, but still, I believe this is the best way to go.

That's been my way of handling it. Can't complain over all. Usually 3 or 4 zones new is enough for me for months.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

One thing that kept me away from this game was the card packs you buy outside the game that gives you and edge, which you can't obtain neither through their online store or ingame stores. I'm talking about the pets that give you 2 x +damage buffs that stacks with everything you have.

I shouldn't have to book a planeticket just to go to wallmart, just to be on par.

They often release booster packs around holidays you can't get online.

Originally posted by Starpower

One thing that kept me away from this game was the card packs you buy outside the game that gives you and edge, which you can't obtain neither through their online store or ingame stores. I'm talking about the pets that give you 2 x +damage buffs that stacks with everything you have.

I shouldn't have to book a planeticket just to go to wallmart, just to be on par.

You still have to raise the pet the same as others in the game that do about the same thing. I have the Power Dragon you're talking about. It doesn't quite work the way you've explained it. You get a 1% (stackable)  bonus to your power pips, which let you double up energy used to spend on cards.

Originally posted by PukeBucket

You still have to raise the pet the same as others in the game that do about the same thing. I have the Power Dragon you're talking about. It doesn't quite work the way you've explained it. You get a 1% (stackable)  bonus to your power pips, which let you double up energy used to spend on cards.

You are flat out wrong.

In December and January last year, the pets that come with Wizard101 Gift Cards all gave a Dragon Blade - which is a 30% Balance Blade. So, anybody who redeemed a Gift Card in December and January will have a pet with a 30% Balance Blade.

The Polar Cat you got from Target gives 2 Balance Blades. And, they stack on each other! So, if you have a Polar Cat from a Target Gift Card, you can cast 2 30% Balance Blades on the same spell!

Since these gift cards were not available online in any shape or form, only available at Target in the US, there is no way to be on par. I'm pretty sure a similar deal will be available these holidays up to Christmas.

Stuff like that is a strong motivator not to play IMO, as somebody who lives in the EU

It may not be something you care about but to me it's a dealbreaker. I don't see why somethings should be available in one part of the world and not another.

Starpower: That's when breeding pets comes into play.

But I agree that it's stupid from KI to not include any way to get the most powerful pets unless you purchase those cards or have a friend who purchased helping you.

Originally posted by Vrika

But I agree that it's stupid from KI to not include any way to get the most powerful pets unless you purchase those cards or have a friend who purchased helping you.

If only it worked that way but it doesn't.

You can't breed yourself to the dragonblade buffs let alone two of them. They are all from either gift cards/no longer obtainable(referral)/Beta Testers

For kids this game should get a high score. Aside for the 'Pay to Win' thing, without a decent chat, better LFG mechanics or even the option to make guilds, I find it very limited in its appeal to adults.

You can't breed yourself to the dragonblade buffs let alone two of them. They are all from either gift cards/no longer obtainable(referral)/Beta Testers

I though you could, as long as you get help from a friend who has a pet with one of those cards. Am I wrong?

Here's also a guide where it's done: http://wizard101.wikia.com/wiki/Creating_a_custom_pet

Also Wizard101 wiki lists frontier dragon, which can only be obtained through breeding as far as I know, giving dragonblade: http://wizard101.wikia.com/wiki/Frontier_Dragon

I must admit I don't like breeding and haven't tried to do it.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I love this game and have been playing since beta.  It is one of the few games that I try to always maintain a subscription for.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I though you could, as long as you get help from a friend who has a pet with one of those cards. Am I wrong?

Here's also a guide where it's done: http://wizard101.wikia.com/wiki/Creating_a_custom_pet

Also Wizard101 wiki lists frontier dragon, which can only be obtained through breeding as far as I know, giving dragonblade: http://wizard101.wikia.com/wiki/Frontier_Dragon

Pioneer dragon was the first pet available for crowns purchase just after beta.  It was only available for month or two.  They are fire based and offer the dragon blade spell at baby.  I have tried hatching with them but have had no success in creating another one.  I usually get another copy of the pet I crossed them with with slightly better genetics.  Just my experience.  Your milage may vary.  I have not tried to hatch two pioneer dragons though.  hmmmm...

Originally posted by kasta

Pioneer dragon was the first pet available for crowns purchase just after beta.  It was only available for month or two.  They are fire based and offer the dragon blade spell at baby.  I have tried hatching with them but have had no success in creating another one.  I usually get another copy of the pet I crossed them with with slightly better genetics.  Just my experience.  Your milage may vary.  I have not tried to hatch two pioneer dragons though.  hmmmm...

Yup can't be bred anymore.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Sounds more absurd with the cash shop then SOE games...

A feat that's hard to achieve..

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

After reading this review, I downloaded and tried this game again. I almost forgot I made an account back in 2009! 

Anyway, I don't get what you guys are talking about. There's open chat that you have to be 18+ to use and you can buy prepaid packs online and there's some internation options as well. I just skimmed through the options, so I may have missed something though.

The only thing I don't like out this game and I guess other games with similar pricing models is that you can get the membership, but still have to buy credits for stuff. I did notice that some things has a gold option, but I think others are credits only. So, it seems like I'll be paying twice for things.

I think I like Fallen Earth's method. YOu pay monthly and get reward points to use toward the stuff in the cash shop. 

• Clau04Clau04 Member Posts: 1

i love this game

• destinyb07destinyb07 Member Posts: 1

I got my mmorpg key to wizard 101 for the free stuff but we have 5 other wizard 101 players that all run off the same i.p. address. What do we do when all of us can't get it?

• KJGrenadierKJGrenadier Member Posts: 2

Starpower, I just wanted to mention something about your complaint about pets in gift cards and how good they are.  I have never replied before, and I don't know how to do it right, so I don't know if you will get this.

No matter how good the blades on a single pet may be, for one thing, you can only use those two blades once, for one spell, or one each for two different spells.  Second, it is a great challenge to get both cards you want up for a spell, let alone one.  The larger your deck, the harder it will be, I am certian you know this.  In addition, many of the best pets are found right in the crown shop (ever seen the sea dragon or any of those other 60+ potential pets?  They beat any pet on a card in terms of potential.  The only one I am not certain of is the pet on the new epic card with the two person mount.  However, the best pet - the sea dragon - can be purchased online and won in the boss fight in the trial of spheres in Celestia.)  And on top of this, with my experience, card pets have among the strongest hereditary genes, meaning that they are what are almost always hatched when you wombine with them.  I own one of them, a defender pig, and out of the 8 times I have hatched with him, 6 times both sides got my pet.  It is very aggravating.

It is not nearly as bad as you make it, unless maybe your point in the game is pvp where people wait to do giant one hit spells, where they have time to get all the blades they need.  Even then, it is not impossible for you to get the pets.  Just hatch, it is what I do.  Hatch with a person who has that pet.  Good luck in the game, I love it. :)

And by the way, if you purchase the game with crowns, and not any items, doing the $60 for 60,000 crowns deal, it is far cheaper.  It is what I do, I don't need to buy the super crowns items.  You can win them in battles against major bosses, just farm. :D  Nothing is kept from you, if you are willing to spend the time.  I even got part of the level 55 ninja pig suit by doing a little farming in the waterworks dungeon.  Why spend crowns on what I can get for free?  ^-^

• BlaineSpiritBlaineSpirit Member UncommonPosts: 2

Love this game :D

spent so much time on it, and money...

met tons of interesting people too :D so funny :)