Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR: Meh... Could've Been A Lot Better

So.. let me start off my saying that I am a LONG-time MMO player from first battling Sand Giants in EQ1 with my Necromancer, to defying gravity with my Metaphysist in Anarchy Online, to EQ2, to Eve, to SWG, to WoW (hated), to SWTOR so you can say I have some experience. I am also a HUGE Star Wars fan..  Now... saything that here is my take on SWTOR.

Pros:

1. STAR WARS!! - nuff said..

2. Easy to pickup and learn - I was playing this game with my 8 yr old who picked it up in 10 min and took off.

3. BioWare Story-telling - nuff said

4. And.... - not sure what else

Cons:

1. Feels too much like WoW - I know that ill get flamed for this, but WoW is a TERRIBLE game for any true MMO player.  I played it for a month, quit, and never looked back. It was just too "cotton candy-ish " for me and unfortunately SWTOR is trying to following their lead.

2. Bad Animations - Even though it is in beta, a lot of the animations are still VERY buggy to be so late in the game near launch (but hopefully they will get fixed before)

3. Space Combat - Granted i havent made it this far but from the videos I am already disappointed

4. No real consequence for making evil choices - at least from what I can gather so far... still early

5. Gaming on RAILS!! - Not being able to journey over a mountain through trecherous uncharted swamps (you get the idea) is a HUGE negative in my book. I remember back in EQ when the journey was a huge part of the experience you had.  Not knowing what was around each corner, etc.  I would compare SWTOR to running through a maze, yes there are different paths, dead ends, etc but only one way out (story quests and paths leading to them).

6. Space Combat.. - had to say it again...

7. Skill Trees - Skill Tree seems mostly irrelevent until you get the 1 or 2 new special attacks in each tree

Now I would be acting like a Republican if I only complained without giving alternatives or new ideas so here you go..

Things the could or should do to make SWTOR a lot better than what it is....

1.  Dissect SWG - What I mean by this is re-examine SWG (pre-nerf) and what aspects of that game people loved so much and incorporate that into SWTOR.  Things like the ability for Bounty Hunters to use tracking droids to find bounties (that was a blast), they could add the ability to capture DNA from animals to make pets (great times there), allow player shops, and the list goes on..

2. Redo Space Combat - Take a HARD look at how Space Combat is done in EVE and mimic THEM not WoW..  they got their @*@&;$ together.. shows what happens when you focus on doing one thing very well and not trying to please everyone out of sheer greed.

3. More flexibility in Classes - Make the classes more distinct by allowing sub-classes perhaps like in SWG

Saying all of that though I will still play SWTOR because well I dont really have any other options until The Secret World comes out at least..  but I think BioWare had a huge chance to make a difference in the Star Wars gaming universe and missed the critical free-throw with the game on the line..  This game just feels like something is missing.. like the Jacksons without Michael, the Colts without Peyton... something is just missing here...

Comments

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by mystical44

1. Feels too much like WoW - I know that ill get flamed for this, but WoW is a TERRIBLE game for any true MMO player. 

Oh look, a MMO hipster on MMORPG.  Color me surprised.    What the hell is a "true MMO player?"  You sound like a fool.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267

Innovation.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by Draemos

So.. let me start off my saying that I am a LONG-time MMO player from first battling Sand Giants in EQ1 with my Necromancer, to defying gravity with my Metaphysist in Anarchy Online, to EQ2, to Eve, to SWG, to WoW (hated), to SWTOR so you can say I have some experience. 

1. Feels too much like WoW - I know that ill get flamed for this, but WoW is a TERRIBLE game for any true MMO player. 

Oh look, a MMO hipster/elitest on MMORPG.  Color me surprised.  

"Oh look, a MMO hipster/elitest on MMORPG. Color me surprised"

What on earth is that! Sounds fun!!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

So.. let me start off my saying that I am a LONG-time MMO player from first battling Sand Giants in EQ1 with my Necromancer, to defying gravity with my Metaphysist in Anarchy Online, to EQ2, to Eve, to SWG, to WoW (hated), to SWTOR so you can say I have some experience. I am also a HUGE Star Wars fan..  Now... saything that here is my take on SWTOR.

Pros:

2. Easy to pickup and learn - I was playing this game with my 8 yr old who picked it up in 10 min and took off.

Cons:

1. Feels too much like WoW - I know that ill get flamed for this, but WoW is a TERRIBLE game for any true MMO player.  I played it for a month, quit, and never looked back. It was just too "cotton candy-ish " for me and unfortunately SWTOR is trying to following their lead.

2. Bad Animations - Even though it is in beta, a lot of the animations are still VERY buggy to be so late in the game near launch (but hopefully they will get fixed before)

3. Space Combat - Granted i havent made it this far but from the videos I am already disappointed

4. No real consequence for making evil choices - at least from what I can gather so far... still early

5. Gaming on RAILS!! - Not being able to journey over a mountain through trecherous uncharted swamps (you get the idea) is a HUGE negative in my book. I remember back in EQ when the journey was a huge part of the experience you had.  Not knowing what was around each corner, etc.  I would compare SWTOR to running through a maze, yes there are different paths, dead ends, etc but only one way out (story quests and paths leading to them).

7. Skill Trees - Skill Tree seems mostly irrelevent until you get the 1 or 2 new special attacks in each tree

Now I would be acting like a Republican if I only complained without giving alternatives or new ideas so here you go..

1.  Dissect SWG - What I mean by this is re-examine SWG (pre-nerf) and what aspects of that game people loved so much and incorporate that into SWTOR.  Things like the ability for Bounty Hunters to use tracking droids to find bounties (that was a blast), they could add the ability to capture DNA from animals to make pets (great times there), allow player shops, and the list goes on..

2. Redo Space Combat - Take a HARD look at how Space Combat is done in EVE and mimic THEM not WoW..  they got their @*@&;$ together.. shows what happens when you focus on doing one thing very well and not trying to please everyone out of sheer greed.

3. More flexibility in Classes - Make the classes more distinct by allowing sub-classes perhaps like in SWG

Saying all of that though I will still play SWTOR because well I dont really have any other options until The Secret World comes out at least..  but I think BioWare had a huge chance to make a difference in the Star Wars gaming universe and missed the critical free-throw with the game on the line..  This game just feels like something is missing.. like the Jacksons without Michael, the Colts without Peyton... something is just missing here...

I can see where you are comming from.  seems someone stuck in time comehwere in the last couple of years.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 427

Its not often in these forums that someone comes on and take a page of text to say "I don't like this, why did they not make SWG2?".

They usually just come out and say it up front. Thats 4 mins of my life I will never get back :(

Originally posted by ELE3551

Innovation.

I agree, but add originality and remove mediocrity

• DeathTrippDeathTripp Member UncommonPosts: 263

I think you took the liberal / Democratic way and just went with being a complete trollFAIL.

-----------------------------
    Real as Reality Television!!!

• mystical44mystical44 Member Posts: 4

What I meant was the folks who played MMOs BEFORE WoW... where games required a longer attention span than 30minutes..  WoW created a whole new class of MMO players, quick-fix, short attention span, instant gratification

Originally posted by hayes303

Its not often in these forums that someone comes on and take a page of text to say "I don't like this, why did they not make SWG2?".

They usually just come out and say it up front. Thats 4 mins of my life I will never get back :(

It took you 4 mins?

Na im just playing with ya.........

;)

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 427

Originally posted by Matticus75

Originally posted by hayes303

It took you 4 mins?

Na im just playing with ya.........

;)

I'm watching the Daily Show at the same time. Damn my ADD

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

What I meant was the folks who played MMOs BEFORE WoW... where games required a longer attention span than 30minutes..  WoW created a whole new class of MMO players, quick-fix, short attention span, instant gratification

I remember when I played MUDD texts games BEFORE graphical MMOs, when games required imagination, long attention spans, and intelligent dialect.  Graphic MMOs created a whole new class of MMO players; illiterate, unimaginitive, and dumb as rocks.

Yes, that is how stupid you sound.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

And if they thought there was any money in your view of a "true MMO", they would make one.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

I remember when I played MUDD texts games BEFORE graphical MMOs, when games required imagination, long attention spans, and intelligent dialect.  Graphic MMOs created a whole new class of MMO players; illiterate, unimaginitive, and dumb as rocks.

Same thing with food nowadays, me thinks most of it is poisonus, with all the processing they do now

It fast, its fun! and it BAD for ya!

• mystical44mystical44 Member Posts: 4

Yea.. call me what you will but I know most of you know exactly where I am going in this post...that there is a lot they couldve and shouldve done with the Star Wars IP that couldve truely made this game great..

Yea.. call me what you will but I know most of you know exactly where I am going in this post...that there is a lot they couldve and shouldve done with the Star Wars IP that couldve truely made this game great..

Alot of people agree from what I have been reading, things like "millions of dollars for this!??" ect ect

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

Pros:

Cons:

I had high expectations and I already have cancelled my preorder!!! Severely Dissapointed!

1. The camera sucks big time. When you have to turn its a knee jerk reaction there is no fluid movement with camera angles and the running  motion of the characters suck. They should have spent more time on these 2 items than the voiceovers. 

2. The story is okay but I got bored fast no matter what option you chose it just changed the response but didn't really do anything to the overall feel of the game. The option's are just there for kicks and comedy!

3. The combat wasn't as fluid as I hoped it would be and didn't like the cooldown on the skills. You hit one skill and had to wait for the skill flash to come down before you could do another. 

4. The mobs were nothing special at all. Rock monsters and some space dudes. The combat just didn't appeal to me at all. 

5. Finally Like someone else mentioned when  normally Play mmos there is something that makes you want to login , but Star wars just didn't have that feeling. Its missing something just doesn't have that AWE factor that other mmos have. 

If the game appeals to you then more power to you < I just don't see myself paying $15 dollars a month for this type of linear game! Good luck to all !

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

"Things like the ability for Bounty Hunters to use tracking droids to find bounties (that was a blast), they could add the ability to capture DNA from animals to make pets (great times there), allow player shops, and the list goes on.."

+1. That sounds good.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I personally think the game IS great, and on the road to becoming even better.

I loved SWG, but it's gone, Bro. And we're not going to get a sequel.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Best beta I played in 5 years. Enjoyed every minute of it. And I beta and alpha tested all mmo that has been in beta last 7 years.

Good Job BioWare I, I am happy finally one game lived up to the expectations of the player.

• Delerious1Delerious1 Member Posts: 72

1.  Honestly the game doesn't feel that WoW'ish to me at all.  It feel's like a Bioware game to me ala KOTOR.

2.  Animations are excellent actually. 

3.  Space Combat=mini-game ala Starfox.  It's not meant to be tie fighter or eve.  Perhaps in an expansion it will have a space expansion that will further increase the complexity of the current system.

4.  By lvl 15 I'd  killed several dudes in cold blood and was willing to eat brains to scare some dudes.  Works for me.

5.  The starter planets and your first major quest hub planet are definitely rail-like.  That said the planets supposedly grow alot in size after these and become more open.  I hear Coruscant is awesome to run around in.

6.  Irrelevant.  See #3.

7.  Skill trees make a big difference and basically define your class playstyle.  To use an example of a Sith warrior going the juggernaut advanced class.  One tree is a tanking tree, another is a burst dps/dot tree and the shared tree has alot of force improving powers.  Each tree by late game will have it's own playstyle and individual strengths.

Playing Huttball at level 15 just using my defensive stance and guarding people feels completely different from using shii-cho dps stance and charging all over attacking people.

A couple of things ALOT of people are not keeping in mind while playing the open beta stress test.

1.  It's predominantly a STRESS TEST for the servers.  Last I heard the client we downloaded was like 10gigs less than the client the full time beta testers have been using.  What's that mean?  It means things that aren't necessary for stress testing were likely held out until full release.

2.  They are running a debugger in the background which has a decent impact on fps and even with my win xp, core 2 duo, gtx 285 several year old pc had np running the game at the max settings that were available during the stress test at 30-70fps depending on the area.  Maxed graphical options are apparently not in this stress build such as ultra settings and aa.

The game is going to release very polished and quite stable.  If you expected a sandbox then you haven't been paying attention to the game.  Bioware has shown what features the game would have and what it would be like. 

Lastly, I don't think the game is amazing.  Mind is not blown.  That said I enjoy the game and it has alot going for it and will only improve with content updates and expansions.  I will miss my imperial agent and sith warrior for the next month until release.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

1. Bad Animations - Even though it is in beta, a lot of the animations are still VERY buggy to be so late in the game near launch (but hopefully they will get fixed before

I had thought the same before going into the beta. But after playing I actually think most of the animations are pretty good. They aren't at AoC's level but still they are better than a lot of people giving them credit for.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by patrikd23

Best beta I played in 5 years. Enjoyed every minute of it. And I beta and alpha tested all mmo that has been in beta last 7 years.

Good Job BioWare I, I am happy finally one game lived up to the expectations of the player.

I agree on being the best BETA ever,but the game itself is just lacking in all areas.

It is a real bummer for me becuase i have been searching frantically for a new home since FFXI really got messed up bad.

I thought this game had a legit chance since i was actually having fun on most classes until level 10 hit.MY thought was if the game holds fast past 10 into the new zones ,i might sub this game for 2/3 maybe 4 months.However after i hit the new zone i realised the game just doesn't change,it started to actually feel worse and was getting boring.I began clicking the NPC dialogue with the space bar to advance it.I sort of figured that would happen going in,as i knew exactly what the dialogue would be like before the game even hit beta stage.It was intriguing for awhile mainly becuase it was a fresh new face,but inside more of the same old.

Now i move onto two other games in hopes i can find a home before i hit retirement lol.GW2 i know is doing a few things real bad and lacks in areas,so it will be a tough sell,ArcheAge is basically about PVP which i don't care for .Nonetheless i will try the next game then the next game until i find a good one.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

BIOWARE = Funcom, when it comes to this game... me think.

Too much talk from Devs, epic fail to come.

They should have made it for the true MMORPG generation. Not the 3 years old kids playing with SW Lego...

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by ShredderSE

BIOWARE = Funcom, when it comes to this game... me think.

Too much talk from Devs, epic fail to come.

Can you elaborate on that comment?

Only thing I've ever heard from the devs talk about for this game was to bring their brand of story telling to an mmo. I'd say they have succeeded in that department.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

In a mature world, you will find in time that sometimes, people think differently from you. That is a major facet of life, and one that people learn to come to grips with relatively early on in life. Most of us, though not all, learn that this does not make one person "right" and another "wrong," and that it is possible to have respect and even have admiration for people with different opinions. It is also possible to treat those people with kindness, and without acting like an angry 17 year old with down syndrome. Sometimes, those people are your family, your friends, and your partner. I hope one day you might reach that stage.

This discussion has been closed.