Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They got it right for us old timers

Comments

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Originally posted by gaugemew

The features in this game are hardly "old timey"

This isn't a knock on the game, just stating a fact, such as the sky is blue.

The sky isn't blue.  image

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

It was a mighty fun experience i must admit. BW gets the bugs ironed out this game will be a huge hit. miss my smuggler already :(

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I am not old enough. :(

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Herodes

I must be the exception. This old-timer didn't like it. :

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

i am an original star wars fan and all this game did was remind me of how crappy the new stars wars franchise is and how much of a sellout george lucas is.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

My wife and I enjoyed it and look forward to playing it for as long as it is tolerable.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Benthon

Erm... my text was because if the title. Your new avatar sound is less shocking by the way.
    This is good, because the caves are so fking insane now.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

@OP:  Hear, hear!  I found myself loving the initial zone.  After wholeheartedly refusing to jump on the SWTOR bandwagon, I've not only hopped on, I'm driving the thing.  The story line, npcs, everything is just cool.  Even the blaster sounds are spiffy - as I heard some random shooting in the background, the first thing I thought about was the hangar bay in Mos Eisley.  I then pictured my obese Twi'lek smuggler chasing down some baddies through the hangar corridors...

I'm gonna have fun with this game.  I've had to limit my beta time this weekend due NOT to time/family constraints, but to the "I don't wanna ruin it for launch" constraint.  I will be preordering here in a bit, mainly because yes, they got it right for us old-timers.

• TankengTankeng Member Posts: 1

As an old timer who watched the original movie with his wife I have to agree with the OP. After Cata incinerated my WoW love, I;ve despaired of finding another great MMO but this was more than even I expected. I read lots of reviews and speculation and my anticipation ranged from 50% to 10% (after the bad press from EAlouse).

Played both factions and all available classes to a max of lvl 10 and will put in my buy order and max sub offer (6 mths iirc). In my book its a 90/100 and now my only concern is this Bioware 'choices'  option which has given me some anxious moments. It adds light/dark points but I don't really understand what effect they will have on my character and companion.

I own ME, ME2 and KOTOR but have only ever played 10 min of ME, so I am very clueless. I figure when I am feeling cranky I will log on an Empire character and conversely will join the Republic when feeling virtuous. Another thing I found disconcerting was companion points. It feels like going out with my wife where I have to always watch my 'P's and 'Q's so I don't get into her bad books.

Also heartfelt thanks to anyone who can point me to a primer on the above as well as crafting as it applies to SWTOR.

• SterlingGSterlingG Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by gessekai332

i am an original star wars fan and all this game did was remind me of how crappy the new stars wars franchise is and how much of a sellout george lucas is.

Yeah, unfortunately this^.   oh well...  moving on...

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

Originally posted by Benthon

If your profile is correct about your age, then you aren't old enough to call yourself an old timer.

• DigitallyEndowedDigitallyEndowed Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by Tyvolus1

Originally posted by Baikal

Originally posted by Baikal

EXACTLY...Bioware did what they do best, in fact what they ONLY know how to do, and thats make a great single player RPG.  EA basically decided to label it an "MMORPG" and get people to pay a $15 month sub fee for a single player RPG.  Best part (for them) is that its going to work.  For now at least.

I'm sorry, I just wanted to check...in the post just before this, arent you the guy who said he had not played and had no intention of playing? So basically your opinion you are sharing here is based on pretty much nothing other than hot air, and we should take it for what it is?

Just checking.

Actually it is more comparable to a reasoned opinion based off of many articles, blogs, beta impressions, forum posts, and dev diaries about said game.  If you think someone cant come to an informed opinion on if a game suits their tastes as obtained from the many mediums of information we have at our fingertips you are sorely mistaken.

Next thing you will be telling people at a restaurant they have never been to before, that they have no idea what they might like or dislike since they havent tried the offerings -- you read the darn description guy and then make a decision...make sense ?  i sure hope so.

I'll be generous.

I do believe that people are capable of doing pretty much what you said, but as evidenced by what you have said, I think it's pretty obvious that you arent one of those people. No shame in that.

Ever hear the adage: "The true test of a man's intelligence is to the degree to which he agrees with you."? It sure seems like that's exactly what you've done, sought out opinions that happen to agree with you, and to validate what you are feeling, even if those opinions arent based on fact. See the problem with your train of thought here? If the people you are relying on arent basing their opinion on facts, how sound is yours, and why should any take, value, or listen seriously to where you are coming from?

As far as taste, fair enough, I've always said games arent for everyone, and you should play something that suits you. However some of the more amusing claims, like it being really a single player RPG instead of an MMO could not be farther from the truth, but...to each his own. I definitely respect someone not liking it for what it is, but to dislike something for a perception that isnt accurate sounds more than a little foolish.

To say I sought out people who agree with me is a bit of a stretch...unless you think biowares own assessment of story driven gameplay is where you are steering your ship.  The fact the game uses extensive cut scenes, and loads of voice acting akin to their DA and ME titles, is not a result of me desperately seeking out those who agree with me, rather it is based off of factual data that relates to gameplay.  I think you are trying far too hard to come across as witty and clever. 

Just want to chime in here real quick.

Yes SWTOR has cut scenes, VO, interactive dialog etc. But...why on earth would that define it as a single player rpg? It's true that it can be played as if it were a single player game. The same can be said for World of Warcraft for example... Is WoW an MMO? Yes. In fact, being able to play SWTOR solely for its story elements is a feature, not a detriment.

If you really have read articles and reviews etc, then you must be disregarding absolutely everything aside from the questing system. How can you not see that this game is a full-blown MMORPG? It has all the standard features. The fact that it has a more in depth, immersive questing system does not suddenly cancel out everything else.

When it comes down to it... Yeah it's your opinion, but your opinion is most definitely incorrect. I could say that in my opinion, the sun is a giant fruit cake, but I would still be wrong.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

I agree with the original post. I had a ton of fun this weekend. I was also very surprised at how well the game drew me in and made me feel like I was part of the story! It has been a long time for me to, in having that feeling!!! There were some annoying things that really bugged me a little but I think that was because I was pressed for time and was trying to get things done quickly lol. Looking forward to this one!

• ThunderballsThunderballs Member Posts: 365

Agreed OP.

If people cant get the retail box value out of this game, regardless of whether they choose to stay and subscribe, .... they probably shouldn't count themselves as lovers of the mmorpg genre.

Caveat Emptor

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I'm shocked @ this thread. I doubt any of you were actually SWG fans, or true StarWars fans.

As a whole the game is completely fail to appease "Old School" players. My ENTIRE table top, and online, StarWars group has dropped SWTOR completely from our list. It's not even worth being called "Star Wars" unless you like 3D flip-books. Sorry :(

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

I'm shocked @ this thread. I doubt any of you were actually SWG fans, or true StarWars fans.

As a whole the game is completely fail to appease "Old School" players. My ENTIRE table top, and online, StarWars group has dropped SWTOR completely from our list. It's not even worth being called "Star Wars" unless you like 3D flip-books. Sorry :(

I lol'ed. Your ENTIRE table top star wars group? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Yes I was into it totally. I am an old Everquest player April 1999 my first MMORPG and I love SWTOR so far. Also am a huge Star Wars fan and I loved the beginning cinematic.

Chamber of Chains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

LOL, they said they were "fans" of the original movies/lore, not "fanatics" which I think you and your friends likely fall into.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Oh my shut down the servers!!!!

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Teala

OK, I was just curious to see if maybe there was something different about playing a BH than say an Imperial Agent, or a Smuggler - something that allowed you to play the role you are titled after.

There is something very very different the skills and playstyle. Simple point but something you should consider.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

I can send you a HD full of my screen shots if you like. What a completely ignorant thing to say. You have no idea what level of fandom anyone in here has.

SWG was riddled with bugs. Please tell me how this is wrong? SWTOR is more stable in beta than SWG was years after release. Don't doubt my experience please because I played it long enough to have an Elder Jedi, a second account, and so on.  I was skeptical on SWTOR through its' whole development, but once I played it, I was back in the Star Wars universe, and really enjoying it.

Do you actually think that your view of the Star Wars universe is the only one? I'm not sure you realized, but the era this game is set in, has very little to do with luke and his ewok buddies.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

And I think for every hater you will have a lot of people liking what Bioware have done; Great game that can be fully enjoyed with friends if you have any semblance of immagination.

Sad to hear SWG doesn't have enough of a fan base for it to survive.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

The bounty hunter ability you are talking about is called, Death From Above and is widely considered one of the best area of effect damaging abilities in the game same as trooper's Mortar Volley.  While the Sorceror version(force storm) isn't quite as powerful, it is very impressive looking.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by Zenjinx

I had low expectations for SWTOR, but was suprised again and again by the games ability to suck me in. This has not happened to me in a long time (and a long list of tried games).

+1

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I doubt any of you were actually SWG fans, or true StarWars fans.

Son, I am disappoint.

V_V