Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about OBT

How long do games usually have Open Beta testing for?  I know that some games like FFXI had prolonged testing for both the original PC and PS2 release, as well as the 360 release.  I think Dragon Nest is still in Open Beta and it's been months....and Bounty hounds Online is in a prolonged CBT and OBT (on the EU side) as well, who knows how long OBT will be....so basically I'm confused as to what the actually norm is.

Also OBT is basically the commerical release too right? 

Comments

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

I don't care what the company calls it - "Open Beta" ends the minute they start charging for subscriptions or open the cash shop.

That said, there are a lot of games that have been in "beta" forever. I believe Iris Online just "celebrated" it's one year anniversary, and it's still in "beta".

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• Alphabeta2Alphabeta2 Member Posts: 35

Hahah geez 1 year!! I guess being in BETA isn't the worse thing?  If it's not actually ready then I guess it's not actually ready.  Thanks though. c: I guess I can see what you mean that as soon as you start paying it's not longer in BETA.  Is there actually a difference then between BETA and Commerical?  And does Iris have a cash shop?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Alphabeta2

Also OBT is basically the commerical release too right? 

Beta, closed or open is a stage in development cycle. Once the development cycle of the product is finished, it is released.

Open Beta can be followed by Closed Beta or Open Beta can last for months/years. It all depends on circumstances and developers.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

With a true beta testing process anything and everything you do will be erased prior to the starup of the retail release of a game. Your avatars, your equipment, your level progression and maybe even the name of the server you were on will be gone. As said earlier, if you are paying for a game then it isn't in beta.

Also here's a catch in those beta games that permit cash purchases. Most of them have somewhere in their EULA a statement that says something along the line that anything you spend during beta might be negated when they finally take the beta tag off of the game.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • wvmaxfangvwwvmaxfangvw Member Posts: 22

Games that are in "Beta" while the company is making money from the product aside...

A normal Open Beta is usually available for anywhere from 3 to 6 months. Shorter and longer Betas do occure but usually are an indication of rush to market or extensive technical issues during the OBT respectively. Open Beta is often the last stage of development before launch, through Alpha and Closed Beta the developer feels confident that they have squashed enough bugs and polished the product enough that a broader group is needed to discover some of the more specific faults that only occur under very specific conditions (Crash to desktop when Class Z uses skill X while under the effect of status Y if they are running P Processor combined with G video card).

OBT is also a sort of bench mark of player interest and allows developers to guage the effect a larger player load will have on their hardware, it's not uncommon for OBTs to include stress tests where large numbers are encouraged to congregate in a single area or massive temporary passes are granted to see how well the system can handle large volumes of players.

• hussy9hussy9 Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by grunty

With a true beta testing process anything and everything you do will be erased prior to the starup of the retail release of a game. Your avatars, your equipment, your level progression and maybe even the name of the server you were on will be gone. As said earlier, if you are paying for a game then it isn't in beta.

Also here's a catch in those beta games that permit cash purchases. Most of them have somewhere in their EULA a statement that says something along the line that anything you spend during beta might be negated when they finally take the beta tag off of the game.

Thanks for informing  about Beta..I didnt know about that..

Thanks

• TechnyzeTechnyze Member UncommonPosts: 80

The process of "Beta" is a marketing technique and hold very little meaning these days.