Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR aaaand....back to Skyrim

Including this last beta weekend I think I'm on my 4th client version of swtor. Seeing small things like instance / world badges go from being tradable to non-tradable forced me to Alt+F4 my way back to my nightingale armor and hunting down those blasted dragon priest masks in Skyrim.

Most positive comments about TOR are usually comming from people who have the least logged hours it seems. Even the official PR spin isn't saying stuff you'd expect to hear from a hundred million dollar + project. They should be saying shit like "Holy shit, this is the craziest shit we've ever done...EVER!" and not in a monotone Dallas Dickenson type voice.

When I have time I'll cancel my pre-order and wait for the TES mod kit to come out if it hasn't already, and pick up table top D&D since I've never tried it.

There are a few elements I really like about TOR. I've been in a few decent flashpoint groups etc...but I've had great times raiding in WoW too. I've had a blast PvPing in DaoC and I had an amazing time hustling my way to tons of credits in SWG pre NGE, but it's time. It's time to take my gaming to the next level and put the RPG back into it, thus, tabletop.

I should say that I often liked the main storyline for the classes I've tried but Drew can't write all of it, and when you start popin side quests you realize just how important that SPACEBAR is. Skipping predictable dialog wasn't really an option until I started doing some side quests @ level 10+ and on the lvl 20+ planets You'll have ur thumb planted on that spacebar. I should mention that if your a lightside jedi the spacebar + key #1 is usually the lightside option for everything. You'll get (light 1) in no time. Dark side points are usually key #3 and extra credits or the nuetral option from quests is usually key #2. Watch out because being too evil or too good will bar you from using certain gear.

////sigh.........gear......QQ did they really have to teir set WoWify equipment. /sigh. Let me try to focus on something positive about TOR. It has GREAT photoshoped scenery that you can't ever visit because it's not really part of the world. You can also spend minutes of your time running around because they really did make the game world bigger A LOT bigger. @ level 15 when you can finally "spint" it'll be like finding water in a desert lol. You'll forget that you didn't wanna run that far for 1 quest turn in, in the first place and just be happy you can get there faster. Pretty much the same thing @ 25 when u get a mount.

Fuck.

Taking a deep breath...one sec brb.

{mod edit}  It's too much of the same and the little things they might have had to keep you there started to get phased out as the builds got closer to release date.

There is a huge positive I noticed while playing regardless of the build. Most of the players I encoutered in beta were really cool, I'm talking about a huge majority here. Maybe they weren't trying to roll play or do anything unorthidox but the vast majority were very nice.

Lastly as you might have guessed it, Force users are the weakest link in the game. Other then maybe healing, the force users are less versatile, less durable and less effective in straight DPS...ofcourse Hardcore gamers really don't like the lack of a combat log with no plans to release one AFAIK so parsing data seems out of the question.

I've went on too long without saying much, maybe more of a dissapointed rant than any useful info but....fuck...Jedi guardian's sundering strike?!@ GTFO using a lightsaber on a guy should do much more then lower his armor factor. Hell a grenade from and Imperial agent grenade should more then stun a guy....ok im stopping now lol.

Good Night friends

P.S. Sorry if  you think I called you simple minded, if your reading this it probably means I should have rephrased / modified that part. Which in itself isn't neccessarily a good thing lol.

"LOL"

Comments

• Ghost021Ghost021 Member Posts: 84
    TL/DR: Dear Mister Anderson, thank you for contacting the Returnticket airways. We wish you a pleasant journey to the previous game you were playing. Best Regards, The Matrix.

• Fed1Fed1 Member Posts: 167

Cool that you join MMORPG today.

See you at launch :-)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Enjoy your time in Skyrim

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

"Ok I've collected myself. Newcomers to MMO's and simple minded people will have long lasting fun in TOR, but for non mental cripples aka the 15%er's, you guys wont make it. "

That's quite possibly the most simple-minded statement I've seen in a long time.  And that's saying alot.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Console games ported to PCs without any attempt to modify the controls or streamline the interface / controls are the suck.

Cant wait until steam has some epic 75% off skyrim sale, Ill buy it so I can entertain myself during ToRs server maintence :P

ToR is the best MMO in many years, and I would bet several hundred bucks on the fact that I have more logged hours then you, and other then minor things that have been fixed /  surely will be because the dev team is freaking epic WIN .

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Oh my.... you should better get a girlfriend instead of d&d miniatures...

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Fed1

Cool that you join MMORPG today.

See you at launch :-)

I dunno... the dude is such a super-l33t MMO pwnage 15%'er that a single player game may forever be the only option...

If only the remaining l33t's would follow suit...

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by quentin405

Console games ported to PCs without any attempt to modify the controls or streamline the interface / controls are the suck.

Cant wait until steam has some epic 75% off skyrim sale, Ill buy it so I can entertain myself during ToRs server maintence :P

ToR is the best MMO in many years, and I would bet several hundred bucks on the fact that I have more logged hours then you, and other then minor things that have been fixed /  surely will be because the dev team is freaking epic WIN .

I actually really hated the that Skyrim has essentially console controls...and then I bought an XBOX controller for my PC.

The relief in constant neck pain is definitely worth having to use a controller :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

Gotta say that Skyrim spoiled me for SWTOR. I waited like forever to get into the beta and when i finally get in this weekend, i am like is this it? Is this all you got?

I am too busy running missions for the dark brotherhood and tweaking ledgers for the theives guild while on the hunt for a priest for some dark god that wants revenge, not to mention playing hide and seek with a ghost who was killed by a vampire and there is this little thing called a civil war going on.

Skyrim may have spoiled me forever as this is now the baseline that I want my MMOs to flow from now on. If we could just have a Skyrim like co op with open world taverns wehre you can gamble, brawl and hook up with parties to play in a co op Skyrim, then I would be in heaven.

I think my days playing MMOs have come to a end.

At least til Guild Wars 2 comes out.

SWTOR, i will take my money back now.

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

I think ToR would be amazing if...

Lets use an example "Super 8" i read a comment "Super 8 would have been such an amazing movie if i was 12".

This isn't insulting anyone, it's all about exposure and expectation. When i watched Super 8 with the kids i was initially leery, i wasn't sure it was completely suitable for kids, turns out it's "Goonies" structure with an alien.

I asked the kids what they thought of the movie and they told me it was the best movie they had ever watched, (that comment was right) where to me it was merely OK as I've been exposed to much better higher quality films.

Skyrim you're hard pressed to find negativism, and to me Skyrim at it's core is an ES game but a major step forward for the genre, so it's awesome. Where ToR there are a plethora of negative and positive posts all over the internet. If ToR truly lived up to the hype the negative would have been drowned out, however it's almost the opposite.

As I've said i believe this game is perfect for kids, I've read it has allot of hand holding, super easy, at its core it's simplistic (and no this isn't and bad thing to allot of people) as it's more entertaining for them this way.

I'm honestly very excited for my kids, it's probably going to be very exciting for them at first, but no matter the game they eventually tire of it, except Minecraft.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by DMTalchemist

Most positive comments about TOR are usually comming from people who have the least logged hours it seems. 

Completely false.

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

Basically what your saying is this game isnt for you. Insulting the intelligence of those who do not agree with you really does not make you appear any smarter.

Personnally, I enjoyed my expirences in SWTOR i'm a old school rpger and have been gaming in one medium or another for almost 30 years now. (Quick note for you if your planning to go tabletop ignore the modern games get the old Rolemaster in my opinion one of the greatest RPGs ever made).

SWTOR is fun as long as you accept the following its NOT the second coming the developers never predicted it would be. They have done the same thing WOW did in its beginning and thats take what works and add to it. Nothing big nothing major. No revoloutions here, just what works with something extra added in this case a heavy emphasis on story. But that very concentration has its own inherent weakness there are only so many different types of story available so yes many will be trte and tried minis but I'm sorry a quest thats only going to take you a few minutes to complete and then forget doesn't need to be written by Tolkien.

Lastly something to think about why can we not accept a new game on its merits. The developers have hidden NOTHING from us everything they promised has been delivered. No feature guaranted has been skipped and their testing is coming across as actual testing. We still have a month to go (approx) thats plenty of time to tighten the servers balance the numbers. Tweak the graphical drivers. No they will not change the gameplay at least not in a major way BUT they will now have a good idea of the loads that they will be facing on launch day this will enable them to prepare for it properly. they know how many instances they can support how many toons an instance can hold before collapsing. Feel proud weekend testers you have helped ensure that launch day will be a success.

Just my 2 cents

Gadareth

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by rt33

As I've said i believe this game is perfect for kids, I've read it has allot of hand holding, super easy, at its core it's simplistic (and no this isn't and bad thing to allot of people) as it's more entertaining for them this way.

I'm honestly very excited for my kids, it's probably going to be very exciting for them at first, but no matter the game they eventually tire of it, except Minecraft.

Priceless! I mean your whole post is veiled attempt at insulting the maturity of people who like the game.

The most comical part for me though is where you say you are excited for your kids. I can imagine the questions that will be asked. "Daddy, why do I have to cut his head off and deliver it in a bag?", to "Daddy, when I press flirt I get to have sex with a virtual NPC, can I have some cookies?

I will say this about the general comment you made. Any game ever made will become boring or tiring once you pass your personal limit.

• pkramseypkramsey Member UncommonPosts: 2

first off let me say i am a huge fanboy of star wars and bioware and have preordered the CE but i am going to have to agree with tc. i have beta tested TOR 3 times and i get bored way too fast. the only thing keeping me coming back is STAR WARS which is why i will keep my pre order and hope Tor gets better with age. TOR is very good if youve never experienced an mmo. i would not recommend it to mmorpg players but i would recommend it to star wars fans since it is the only option in terms of mmo. TOR feels very linear . theres no reason to explore planets and space is just an arcade mini game. i will say pvp is instantly fun and gratifying. pvp will keep my pre order and my sub in hopes that bioware adds depth to pve besides just flashpoints which are very fun and the only time you will find a group unless ofcourse you bring friends with you.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by rt33

I know. What is it abou Minecraft? I play it as well and find much more enjoyment out of this inexpensively produced game, than I see myself having with a $300 million spectacle that is SWTOR.

One designer versus an army of 'game designers'. One artist versus an army of animators, texture artists, 3d graphics wizzes.

• DMTalchemistDMTalchemist Member Posts: 23

When I logged 100+ hours I was still a "see you @ launch guy or 6 days before ;).". After 250+ I started holding my horses. @ 300 I was forcing myself to log in.

I still have my gripes with Skyrim too. The glitchyness of the console porting hurts my soul a little. A few other changes didn't feel right, but I've had a chip on my shoulder since they changed the inventory system from the Morrowind style.

This is just how it went down. I logged in to beta fFiday morning (I believe this is the last round of beta weekends?) and didn't make it through the character creator before I wanted back into Tamriel. I even started reading some Elder Scrolls lore..I was jonesing man lol. Not that the lore is so horrible that it's a last resort or anything, especially the story of the Wolf Queen, not too shabby.

Also I am no small starwars fan, short of costuming up and that atrocious 3d cartoon (OMFG it has 4 seasons! Yet they cancel shows likeFirefly, goddamn morons). Hmm..some may actually like that cartoon AND jar jar binks so in the scope of it, this game isn't all that bad LOL.

I think i just put TOR and Jar Jar Binks in the same league, maybe thats going too far :

"LOL"

• DMTalchemistDMTalchemist Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by Gadareth

Basically what your saying is this game isnt for you. Insulting the intelligence of those who do not agree with you really does not make you appear any smarter.

Personnally, I enjoyed my expirences in SWTOR i'm a old school rpger and have been gaming in one medium or another for almost 30 years now. (Quick note for you if your planning to go tabletop ignore the modern games get the old Rolemaster in my opinion one of the greatest RPGs ever made).

SWTOR is fun as long as you accept the following its NOT the second coming the developers never predicted it would be. They have done the same thing WOW did in its beginning and thats take what works and add to it. Nothing big nothing major. No revoloutions here, just what works with something extra added in this case a heavy emphasis on story. But that very concentration has its own inherent weakness there are only so many different types of story available so yes many will be trte and tried minis but I'm sorry a quest thats only going to take you a few minutes to complete and then forget doesn't need to be written by Tolkien.

Lastly something to think about why can we not accept a new game on its merits. The developers have hidden NOTHING from us everything they promised has been delivered. No feature guaranted has been skipped and their testing is coming across as actual testing. We still have a month to go (approx) thats plenty of time to tighten the servers balance the numbers. Tweak the graphical drivers. No they will not change the gameplay at least not in a major way BUT they will now have a good idea of the loads that they will be facing on launch day this will enable them to prepare for it properly. they know how many instances they can support how many toons an instance can hold before collapsing. Feel proud weekend testers you have helped ensure that launch day will be a success.

Just my 2 cents

Gadareth

I apologize for insulting the intelligence of those that do not agree with me (I'm sorry). It is not very mature or nice. I am not a very mature person so I can't help that part but, I'll try to be nicer.

Thanks for the gaming suggestion, I keep hearing D&D 4.0 and other newer tabletops are going in the wrong direction so it's nice to have somewhere to start from.

I suppose its a good thing that I don't regret playing TOR but I don't have any sense of pride from testing it and "accepting" what it IS kinda sounds like those conversations you know,  when they degrade to;

"Well, at least....(I only have to cut off 1 arm.)" or

"Remember when....(Things used to be awesome!)"

I feel like by playing I would be going backwards or sideways in gaming and that whole formula of paying $15 under the pretense of content updates when the majority of it are patches and fixes. Not that 12-15 a month is a lot but it certainly a lot of books I could buy instead.

Revolutionary is in the price range for 300mill though and considering I'll settle for some weed, a campfire and a good story I think 300mill +5 years would pimp my ride a little, maybe offer me something better then some old formula from 2003? C'mon, just a little? non-tradable badge / gear grind. Ok wait, look at the dancing emote? It's like they just gave up LOL

In any case I'd thank you 10 out of 10 times just for giving my table top gaming advice. I'll check out the old Rolemasters asap

/handshake.

"LOL"

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

Skyrim?

and people call SWTOR a single player MMO.

Skyrim, the MMORPG grind without the MMO.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Why can't people play both? I am and appreciate both games for what they offer. Two totally different types of games and experiences. 

There Is Always Hope!

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Biggus99

Most positive comments about TOR are usually comming from people who have the least logged hours it seems. 

Completely false.

Indeed. I can point you to thousands of full time beta testers, with months of playtime, who could give you a plethora of "positive comments".

Including myself.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Completely false.

Indeed. I can point you to thousands of full time beta testers, with months of playtime, who could give you a plethora of "positive comments".

Including myself.

Yeah but you're wrong!  GW2 is the best!  lol  Just kidding, don't flame me.  Btw, that avatar is kickin'.  I can't stop staring at it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Robsolf

"Ok I've collected myself. Newcomers to MMO's and simple minded people will have long lasting fun in TOR, but for non mental cripples aka the 15%er's, you guys wont make it. "

That's quite possibly the most simple-minded statement I've seen in a long time.  And that's saying alot.

Yeah I have to agree.  Some people just never get tired of something because *gasp* they like the style.  I'd probably still be playing WoW tbh, if not for Cataclysm's boring ass story, because I did enjoy the combat and leveling with friends every so often.  Same with TOR.  Everybody has their tolerance limit and tastes.. but I don't see how insulting them gets you anywhere.  Damn you, Skyrim elitists.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

When I logged 100+ hours I was still a "see you @ launch guy or 6 days before ;).". After 250+ I started holding my horses. @ 300 I was forcing myself to log in.

250 hours before starting to get bored is pretty good going when you compare it to most single player games. I hit that point about 25 hours into Skyrim.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Completely false.

Including myself.

Yeah but you're wrong!  GW2 is the best!  lol  Just kidding, don't flame me.  Btw, that avatar is kickin'.  I can't stop staring at it.

thanks! image

• OhatroOhatro Member Posts: 52

It took you 250 hours of in game time to realize that SWTOR is for simpletons... How does one respond to this?

As others have said, I enjoy both Skyrim and SWTOR, but they offer different experiences.  I don't understand why everyone always has to draw a line in the sand.