Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They got it right for us old timers

In short, I'll be playing this game even though I really only like the classic star wars movies and games.

I created a Bounty Hunter this last beta weekend and wow was I impressed.  The starter planet and quests were ok, but in my opinion the game went from fun to great when I got  the ability where you fly in the air and obliterate an area with supreme firepower, and then from great to awesome when I got my starship. 

As a classic star wars geek I wasn't about to fly to Balmorra for my next quest... I'm freakin going to Hoth and Tatooine regardless of level!  Granted I couldn't quest on these planets but they wet my appetite for release just by visiting them around the space ports.  Hoth made me dock at a space station and then take a shuttle to the desolate surface.  The Imp station felt like it could very much fit right into ESB.

Tatooine captured the feel of ANH with walking through groups of Imperials harrasing the local citizens.

The starship was great too - even though I knew it was very Boba Fett like and expected as much, it still impressed me with the design and feel, not to mention all you can do on it.  Plus the story to get it was great  and nice that you didn't just go to some npc and "train" in getting a starship.

So just throwing it out there if you're like me, a somewhat disgruntled Star Wars fan let down by SWG and wishing for a good Star Wars game, I think Bioware has done the name justice... and then some.  

Comments

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Agreed!

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

I agree. Ex SWG player here as well. I had low expectations for SWTOR, but was suprised again and again by the games ability to suck me in. This has not happened to me in a long time (and a long list of tried games).

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226

Two Thumbs Up!

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Agreed.

And here's to LOVING the Bounty Hunter class!!!

Just wait....some of the hunts are so creative and fun....you're going to love it.

By the way.....if you get a group of mobs....try using "death from above", and then if any survive, use "explosive dart" on the one closest to the middle of the group, and then a regular rocket. It will launch him into the air, and then the dart explosion finishes off the rest.

Makes me howl with laughter every time.

Also, using grapple to pull a mob into a rocket punch, followed by a rocket to the chest is a very good time.

There are so many creative, fun ways to chain your abilities.....have fun image

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Bioware did an excellant job recapturing the bounty hunter feel. The bounty hunter story line is one of my favorites. I am glad to hear that you had fun and that is what playing a video game is all about. 

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

I never played the BH story as I always intended to be 1 so didnt wanna spoil the story. Pleased to hear its good!

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by catlana

Bioware did an excellant job recapturing the bounty hunter feel. The bounty hunter story line is one of my favorites. I am glad to hear that you had fun and that is what playing a video game is all about. 

I never got to play a Bounty Hunter, but oncve you get past the story, is there anything you do in game that allows your Bounty Hunter to, you know, find fugitives and stuff?   Playing as Smuggler there was nothing, besides the stuff in the Smuggler story, in game that allowed a player to play as a Smuggler.    So I am curious.   Are their Bounty missions players can take in this game?

• Nefari0usNefari0us Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Lashley

I never played the BH story as I always intended to be 1 so didnt wanna spoil the story. Pleased to hear its good!

Same here!  I knew I was going to play BH at launch, so I avoided it completely during beta. 

Not happy with the current state of MMORPG's? Think you can do better? What would you do different?

Originally posted by Teala

I never got to play a Bounty Hunter, but oncve you get past the story, is there anything you do in game that allows your Bounty Hunter to, you know, find fugitives and stuff?   Playing as Smuggler there was nothing, besides the stuff in the Smuggler story, in game that allowed a player to play as a Smuggler.    So I am curious.   Are their Bounty missions players can take in this game?

Yup, that's all part of your personal storyline. {mod edit}

Not happy with the current state of MMORPG's? Think you can do better? What would you do different?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Good write up, I was considering playing a bounty hunter when I decide to join the fun, and this write up (and follow up posts) sort of seals the deal.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Nefari0us

Yup, that's all part of your personal storyline.  {mod edit}

Hey, I am asking a question a question here.  Is there or isn't there quest or things to do, outside the main character story, that involves being a Bounty Hunter?

Yup, that's all part of your personal storyline.  (Troll harder next time)

Hey, I am asking a question a question here.  Is there or isn't there quest or things to do, outside the main character story, that involves being a Bounty Hunter?

Oh, so now they have to be "outside the main character story".  Are you going to keep refining your question until you have an excuse to go on a rant about it being a themepark style game?  Sorry, your post history gives you away.  This game isn't for you, just move on.

Do you mean in actual mechanics? In the story, you are actually hunting bounties as would be expected. The twists and turns in the story line while doing bounty hunting is what makes the character's story fun. There is some divergence in later mission goals based on dialogue selected (similiar to flashpoints). The game holds your hand for the first few levels. 

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Not sure what OP's definition of "old timers" is. If they mean old people I guess I can't disagree.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Thumbs up for the BH from me as well. Even your very first hit is fun. "Dashing?" Haha. The feel is there and it's plain good fun, that's for sure.

On the other hand, visually the game did not much feel like Star Wars to me even though the designs are similar and obviously inspired by the classic trilogy. The original Star Wars trilogy made your run-of-the-mill space opera (a la Flash Gordon) setting feel lived in - that was its main strength. Sadly SWTOR as it is right now feels a bit sterile, though the art design comes up with beautiful color palettes for planets and pretty exteriors when viewed from a distance. 

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Oh, so now they have to be "outside the main character story".  Are you going to keep refining your question until you have an excuse to go on a rant about it being a themepark style game?  Sorry, your post history gives you away.  This game isn't for you, just move on.

This game isn't for you Nefari0us, just move on.

Umm..if you read my questio n the first time, it said, "outside" the story.    So, have you played a Bounty Hunter?  If you have and gotten past the story to the end game, what types of Bounty Hunter quest are there in the game - you know to allow you to be a Bounty Hunter?   There were none for the Smuggler class that I could find.

Do you mean in actual mechanics? In the story, you are actually hunting bounties as would be expected. The twists and turns in the story line while doing bounty hunting is what makes the character's story fun. There is some divergence in later mission goals based on dialogue selected (similiar to flashpoints). The game holds your hand for the first few levels. 

Yes I knwo there story arc for the Bounty Hunter, but past that, what in game mechanics allow you to play as a Bounty Hunter?  Are there missions at end game that send you after people? 

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Umm..if you read my questio n the first time, it said, "outside" the story.    So, have you played a Bounty Hunter?  If you have and gotten past the story to the end game, what types of Bounty Hunter quest are there in the game - you know to allow you to be a Bounty Hunter?   There were none for the Smuggler class that I could find.

Swtor doesn't have anything as dynamic as that im afraid, the only good points to the game are all wrapped up in the story, without the story its your regular run of the mill mmo with very few surprises. The story is fun however.

Yes I knwo there story arc for the Bounty Hunter, but past that, what in game mechanics allow you to play as a Bounty Hunter?  Are there missions at end game that send you after people? 

Not real sure about end game, I got real busy at work before my bounty hunter capped. You can always use player inspired mechanics thou. Killing gankers / running protection for lowbies is a lot of fun and can be quite rewarding.

I am pretty sure that there will be bounty hunter style missions at max level. The real trick is how fun and can they match the quality of the story based ones.   

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Swtor doesn't have anything as dynamic as that im afraid, the only good points to the game are all wrapped up in the story, without the story its your regular run of the mill mmo with very few surprises. The story is fun however.

OK, I was just curious to see if maybe there was something different about playing a BH than say an Imperial Agent, or a Smuggler - something that allowed you to play the role you are titled after.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

This is why I'm torn over purchasing this game.  On the one hand, BioWare really gets Star Wars.  From the iconically ridiculous industrial scale of things, to the notions of Dark and Light, BioWare understands the Star Wars universe like few other game companies have.

But on the other hand, the mmo gameplay is tired and cliche.  I might enjoy the animations more if I didn't have to look constantly at my hotbar to monitor my cooldowns. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Have to agree as well, the BH storyline was great, by far the best of those i've tried. Makes me wish my guild was going IMP.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

OK, I was just curious to see if maybe there was something different about playing a BH than say an Imperial Agent, or a Smuggler - something that allowed you to play the role you are titled after.

Yeah, that's what the personal stories are all about.

edit: What you are asking is if cars have circle shaped elements to transmit the engine's power in forward or backward motion on a road surface ... OTHER THAN WHEELS!

;-)

• BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103

Didnt play the bounty hunter, but even as a sith inquisitor I had an awsome time. The story was awsome and kept me marching forward to unravel more of the story. I reached lvl 15 and stoped playing becuz I didnt want to spoil to much of the game before Dec. 20th. I too am an old SWG player and I am happy with the world, lore, and general direction SWTOR is going.